Stockton - Miner Avenue-Oak Street - Stockton Street


Disclaimer! Informational page only, I do not sell, lease or manage Commercial Real Estate.

Over the years, Stockton has attempted to address the issues affecting disinvestment downtown and wrestled with finding solutions. Many studies have been commissioned to analyze the market and develop strategies to revitalize downtown, and some gains have been made. Most recently the Downtown Alliance, a business improvement district scheduled to begin operation in January 1998 was established. However, with the California recession of the early 1990s and the complexity of the issues facing downtown, a workable strategy has not emerged to meet the scale of the challenge.

Nonetheless, it is clear that downtown Stockton offers much to build upon. Excellent highway access and visibility; the availability of vacant waterfront sites and large parcels to accommodate new development; and an impressive historic building stock, including the landmark Hotel Stockton, are just some of the physical assets the panel identified immediately. In addition, downtown Stockton has a concentration of government jobs, financial institutions, and public and private city leadership interested in the downtown.

Click any thumbnail and it becomes a slideshow where you can then scroll through the slides. Or select Auto Play or use the mouse or keyboard arrow keys to scroll through all images

Miner Avenue from 00 Center Street


id="miner">Click for Center Street

Click to Enlarge
31 E. Miner - Coleman's Brake Service

32 E. Miner - Lucky Auto Supply

33 E. Miner - Green Frog Liquor Store


Miner Avenue looking East from El Dorado St. - Late 1930s


Miner & El Dorado


Miner and 248 North El Dorado - Left photo is 1950s, right photo is July, 2013

Miner Avenue - El Dorado Street Intersects
Click for El Dorado Street 110 E. Miner - Cudney Auto Supply - Demolished for theatre


Miner and El Dorado - St John's Church, Construction was completed in 1892, the same year the trolleys went electric.

Click to Enlarge
115 E. Miner Avenue & 306 N. El Dorado St - St Johns Episcopal Church and Guild Hall - The guild hall of this church is an outstanding example of Nordic architecture: it was started in  1889 at a cost of $9,200. The adjacent church was erected for $10,000 and the first service was held December 18, 1892. Saint John’s and all older churches in the city received land from Stockton’s founder, Captain Charles M. Weber. 7. Completed in 1893, the building was designed by well-known California architect Ernest Coxhead who designed many churches throughout the state. The Guild Hall has exceptional architectural detailing typical of Coxhead's work, such as a mixture of materials, asymmetrical facades and an understated front entry. The Guild Hall was constructed prior to the adjacent church building. Coxhead may have had a hand in designing the Church building as well.


St Johns Episcopal Church and Guild Hall - 115 E. Miner Avenue


St Johns Episcopal Church and Guild Hall - 115 E. Miner Avenue


St Johns Episcopal Church and Guild Hall - 115 E. Miner Avenue




120 E. Miner - Speedometer Electric - Demolished for theatre


125 E. Miner


125 E. Miner


125-129 E. Miner Avenue - St John's Store - City Directories indicate that the building dates to the mid-1920s which would be consistent with its architectural character. In both 1930 and 1935, 129 E.· Miner was the Speedometer Service Station and 125 E. Miner was Taton & Trautman Auto Tires. By 1940 the building was used as the Hatch Chevrolet Company. By 1950 the Chase Chevrolet Company occupied the building and continued using the building until 1960.

130 E. Miner -
Hydromatic Specialty / Immel Motor Parts Company from 1940-1960 - Demolished

133 E. Miner - St. John's Budget Shop


135 E. Miner Avenue - Cancun Restaurant - Former Chase Chevrolet Building


135 E. Miner Avenue - Cancun Restaurant - Former Chase Chevrolet Building


135 E. Miner Avenue - Cancun Restaurant - Former Chase Chevrolet Building


135 E. Miner Avenue - Cancun Restaurant - Former Chase Chevrolet Building


135 E. Miner Ave. - Cancun Restaurant - Former Chase Chevrolet Building (1949) / Hatch Chevrolet before that

140 E. Miner - California First Bank - Demolished for Theatre

144 E. Miner - M.T.I. business College - Demolished for Theatre

48 E. Miner - C.I.T Financial Services / Western Rambler (1960) - Demolished for Theatre

E. Miner Ave - Hunter Street Intersects


Click for Hunter Street


Marengo Building - Miner & Hunter


202-214 E. Miner Ave. - Marengo Building - The 1917 Map indicates this area was occupied by the Miner Slough which was an off shoot or the main Stockton Channel. The lot was partially occupied by two small buildings marked "printing". n Previous survey Information indicates this building was constructed in 1920 as the J. Marengo Block.· ·The building's brick detailing is well executed. The building likely served commercial purposes at the first floor, while the second floor was used as rental rooms. 1928 Directory - Marengo Apartments

214 E. Miner - Carburetor Electric

216 E. Miner - Miner Avenue Apartments

221 E. Miner - Stockton Business Machines


221-225 E. Miner - Bevanda Building / Former KOVR Television


Miner and Hunter looking east - Delta Hotel and The Medico Dental Building


230-248 East Miner - Delta Hotel


230-248 East Miner - Delta Hotel - Located at the southwest comer of North San Joaquin Street and East Miner Avenue, constructed in1919, on the former course of the Miner Slough. In 1924 the owners, A. Firpo and E. Bozzini, applied for a building permit to remodel the original building. They contracted Lewis and Green to remodel the building for an estimated construction cost of $25,000. The building appears on the 1950 Sanborn map. By 1930, the Delta Hotel had opened in the remodeled building. Businesses on the ground floor have included auto repair, an ice Company, a travel agency, milk and ice cream dealers, a finance company, and a number of construction and building supply firms. In 1952, for example, the first floor tenants included. Left photo from Kevin Shawver Photo Collection


228-236 E. Miner - what was once first floor parking for The Delta Hotel



236 E. Miner - Downtown Bargain Center


238 E. Miner - Former Seaboard Loans


240 E. Miner - Former Benedict Auto Parts


242 E. Miner - John King and Roy Vanzetti Real Estate / Former Frank Kent Labor Relations


244 E. Miner

246 E. Miner - Builders Exchange


235 E. Miner - Former Valley Organ Specialists / American Optical Wholesale


237 E. Miner - Tattoo Parlor / Former George's Shoes / Public Finance



248 E. Miner -  Former Dok Shoons - Left photo by Floyd Perry Jr.


249 E. Miner - Former Stockton Typewriter

E. Miner Ave - San Joaquin Street Intersects


Click for San Joaquin Street


Blake Residence - San Joaquin & Miner 1870


Miner & San Joaquin Looking SW


Miner & San Joaquin


301 E. Miner - Bank of Stockton - looking NE


Miner & San Joaquin - Central Methodist Church


Miner & San Joaquin - Central Methodist Church - Bank of Stockton at this location now - Notice The Washington School - SE Corner of San Joaquin and Lindsay just behind the church in the photo at the right.

Central held its first worship service on September 15, 1849, the year before the City of Stockton was chartered and California became a state, in a tent at the corner of Miner Avenue and San Joaquin Street. The first buildings was dedicated on July 28, 1851, having been constructed at a cost of $12,000. Central's home from 1851-1958 The fourth structure the church occupied (including the tent) was a magnificent brick structure dedicated on April 5, 1891. It was built on the site where the first tent meeting was held. The building seated one-thousand and was built at a cost of $86,000. On July 20, 1958, the last service was held in "Old Central". The stained glass windows that grace the narthex of the current church were brought from the former church building.

314-348 E. Miner - Ralph Carter Autos (1949)
333 E. Miner - Sequoia Tire Shop - Demolished


Home of Joseph L Phelps, proprietor of Stockton Daily and Weekly Independent, owner of J.L. Phelps & Co.- Residence at 275 Grant. Bottom: Home of Charles Lincoln Ruggles, who worked with Joseph Phelps, for J.L. Phelps & Co. and lived at 341 Miner Ave


342 E. Miner & 240 N. San Joaquin


342 E. Miner & 240 N. San Joaquin


342 E. Miner & 240 N. San Joaquin


342 E. Miner & 240 N. San Joaquin - Former Mid Cal National Bank / San Joaquin First Federal


347 E. Miner - Former Morthrift Plan

E. Miner Ave - Sutter Street Intersects


Click for Sutter Street
403 E. Miner - Standard Gas Station - 1949
404 E. Miner - Warren's Tax Service
408 E. Miner - Jack Williams Ranch Broker / Lei Realty


410-414 E. Miner - The Medico-Dental Garage appears to have been constructed in the late 1920s. The building, along with many others in Stockton, was designed by Frank Mayo. Mr. Mayo also designed the adjacent building, the Medico-Dental Building, one of Stockton's tallest structure. He was also responsible for the design of the Bank of Stockton, the State Savings and Loan building, the county courthouse, and several private residences in Stockton. The garage served multiple purposes, housing at various times the Stockton Ice and Fuel Company, an ambulance service, and a series of restaurants including Mrs. M. E. Hunt's, Mamie's Cafe, American Ambulance and the T100 Taco Restaurant.
412 E. Miner - Lou's Coffee Shop (1966) / Tico Taco (1960) / Mamie's Cafe (1959)
414 E. Miner - American Ambulance


415 E. Miner - Former DeRollo Buick / 1928 - Renney Buick


415 E. Miner - Former DeRollo Buick / 1928 - Renney Buick



415 E. Miner Ave. - Former De Rolo Buick / Renney Motors


421-425 E. Miner - Delcar Building Hall - Former Ace Employment (423) / Periano & Vitek Printers / 1928 - Goodyear Tire

427 E. Miner - Stockton Floral Shop (1960)


437 E. Miner - Vacant Lot / Former Walter's Union Station


437 E. Miner - Vacant Lot / Former Walter's Union Station


437 E. Miner - Vacant Lot / Former Walter's Union Station


426 E. Miner - Former Smith Auto Park
434 E. Miner - Former Vince's Chevron
448 E. Miner - Former Jerry's Chevron Service / Former Service Cab Co.


Miner Avenue looking West towards Sutter - 1937

E. Miner Ave - California Street Intersects

Click for California Street


501 E. Miner - Morris Auto Supply


501 E. Miner - Morris Auto Supply


510 E. Miner - Ralphs' Cushions & Covers (1966)Former Royal Tires


510 E. Miner - Ralphs' Cushions & Covers (1966)Former Royal Tires


510 E. Miner - Ralphs' Cushions & Covers (1966)Former Royal Tires




510 E. Miner - Ralphs' Cushions & Covers (1966)Former Royal Tires


521 E. Miner - Former Athletic Supply of California / Chanslor & Lyon Auto Parts

524 E. Miner - 1928 - Orton Apartments - Demolished


532 E. Miner - Former Payless Motors


533-539 E. Miner - Apartments

Click to Enlarge
545 E. Miner - Chet's Auto Repair

E. Miner Ave - American Street Intersects



601 E. Miner - Shaughnessy Car Wash / Stockton Auto Wash - Demolished - Vacant Lot

605 E. Miner - Delta Valley Realty - Demolished<


606 E. Miner - Hotel Glendale in 1928

608 E. Miner - Independent Meat Company / Pikes Furniture
611 E. Miner - Stockton Dairy Service - Demolished


612 E. Miner - Former Smoke Shop / former Kelly Moore Paint / Valley Paint Company


616 E. Miner and 628 E. Miner - Residence

622 E. Miner - J.E. Meyer Used Cars


625 E. Miner - Western Rambler / J.E. Meyer Hudson Dealer - J. E. Meyer sold Kaiser and Willys, then switched to Hudson, then Rambler in the late fifties - Demolished

630 E. Miner - J.E. Meyer Used Cars

Farm Credit building, 635 and 637 E. Miner Ave. 1940s. Today a vacant lot


644 E. Miner - Ray Farmer's Used Cars / Western Rambler Used Cars

Click to Enlarge
647 E. Miner - Former Thornton Motors (Volkswagen Dealer)



650 E. Miner - Former Ford Used Car Lot

E. Miner Ave - Stanislaus Street Intersects



711 E. Miner - Former Harley Davidson / Don Mann Cadillac / Big Valley Ford / Fairway Ford / Eagle Ford


711 E. Miner - Former Harley Davidson / Don Mann Cadillac / Big Valley Ford / Fairway Ford / Eagle Ford


711 E. Miner - Former Harley Davidson / Don Mann Cadillac / Big Valley Ford / Fairway Ford / Eagle Ford

719 E. Miner - Clutch & Brake Exchange (1960)

Click to Enlarge
720 E. Miner - Ted's Motors (1966)


722 E. Miner - Former Gene Gabbard used Cars

730 E. Miner - Car Lot / 1928 - 1959 - Argonne Apartments - Demolished


731 E. Miner - Sandoval Auto Service / Former Stockton Beauty Supply


45 E. Miner - Cannery Workers Union


745 E. Miner - Cannery Workers Union


50 E. Miner - Former Car Lot / Eagle Sales Lot #2 (1966)


750 E. Miner - Former Car Lot / Eagle Sales Lot #2 (1966)

E. Miner Ave - Grant Street Intersects



800 Blk Miner & 308 N. Grant Street - Larry's Auto Repair / Former Derollo Mazda / Former Harold W. Thompson


800 Blk Miner & 308 N. Grant Street - Larry's Auto Repair / Former Derollo Mazda / Former Harold W. Thompson - Left photo courtesy of Floyd Perry Jr.

802 E. Miner - Renney Motors Used Cars / Civic Motors

808 E. Miner - Eagles Used Cars

Click to Enlarge
825 E. Miner - Stanley Electric / Former CBX / DeRolo Mazda / Harold W. Thompson



835 E. Miner - Fat City Boxing Club / former Joe Bryson Heating and Air /  Service Cab Taxi / Black & White Cab


836 E. Miner - Former Beer Barrel Tavern / Former Doc's Custom Cycle



848 E. Miner - Stockton Auto Sales / Former Subway Beauty Shop


901 E. Miner - Wade's Auto Restoration (1976) / Swift Wholesale Meat (1957)

930 E Miner - Bockmon & Womble Electric (1976) / Ad Art Sign Company (1957)


Miner Avenue underpass looking west


Miner Avenue underpass looking East


Miner Avenue underpass looking East (1920s) / Looking East  / looking West

E. Miner Ave - Railroad Tracks Intersects


1128 E. Miner - Stetson Wheel Alignment

Click to Enlarge
1145 E Miner - Former Rainbow Bread Company / San Joaquin Baking Company (1966)


1200 E. Miner

1231 E. Miner - Fern Beauty & Barber Shop


Miner & Airport Way looking West


1302 E. Miner - Farmer's Feed

1324 E. Miner - Stockton Electric Motor Repair


1338 E. Miner -

1402 E. Miner - Valley Engine Shop
1405 E. Miner - Europa Independent Service (1966) / Stanley Fetch & Son Auto Repair


1414 E. Miner - Former Bockmon & Womble Electrical / Segarini Brothers Groceries (1928)


1414 E. Miner - Former Bockmon & Womble Electrical / Segarini Brothers Groceries (1928)

1429 E. Miner - Clutch & Brake Xchange
1435 E. Miner - Stockton Scale


1510 E. Miner - Stanley - Adams Machine Company / Former Stanley Electric


1510 E. Miner - Stanley - Adams Machine Company / Former Stanley Electric, 242 N. Wilson Way

Monroe Street


F.M. Vailes Residence, 1135 N. Monroe. Torn down for Annunciation School Playground


42 S. Monroe - Tahiti iti

Myrtle Street



RTD - Myrtle Street


New RTD Transit Center in Stockton on E. Myrtle Street. between Filbert and Highway 99


Country 10.5 billboard on E. Myrtle Street. between Filbert and Highway 99

Oak Street


118 E Oak - Waterfront Inn - Demolished

A fourth fire (shown below) July, 1918, devastated the facility on EI Dorado Street and Oak Streets. "Every available engine in the city, including the Sperry Flour company's" was engaged in fighting the fire. n Samuel Kahn, general manager of the Western States Gas & Electric Company, was passing the tannery at the time the fire started. He was able to call his office and had the gas and electricity cut off to the entire city north of Main Street in order to safe guard the lives of the fire fighters.

Only one week earlier, Alexander Vint had been killed in such an accident while fighting another fire. The Pacific Tannery caught fire about 5:30 p.m. in the drying loft where the leather was hung to dry. It spread quickly, involving the entire plant. Every available fire engine in the city, as well as the Sperry Flour Company's crew, was sent to fight the blaze.

Several fire fighters and tannery employees were injured when one of the walls of the burning building collapsed. When the fire was at it height, the heat was so intense that it was nearly impossible to be on the El Dorado street side of the structure.

122 E. Oak Street


Wagner Engine Company - 122 E. Oak


Wagner Engine Company - 122 E. Oak


Wagner Engine Company - 122 E. Oak


Wagner Engine Company - 122 E. Oak


Wagner Engine Company - 122 E. Oak


Wagner Engine Company - 122 E. Oak




122 E. Oak St - Mr. D's Pizza / Wagner Leather Co. Engine Room - Built in 1871, the building once housed the engine and boiler rooms of the Wagner Leather Company operators of the Pacific Tannery from 1856-1926. This tannery occupied an entire block and for years was the only tannery in the San Joaquin Valley and one of the largest in the west. Products including harness and sole leather were shipped throughout the pacific coast, the orient and other world markets The structure was added to the city register by resolution number 30,809 on October 15, 1973.


520 E. Oak St. - Apartments

Click to Enlarge
745 E. Oak Street corner of Grant - Former Big Valley / Eagal Ford Service Center

Click to Enlarge
1015 E. Oak St - Former Tom's Peanuts / Monarch Foundr


1015 E. Oak St - Former Tom's Peanuts / Monarch Foundry - Left photo posted by Kevin Shawver



1025 E. Oak St. Former Supermold Foundry / Monarch Foundry


940 E. Park St. - Sears


940 E. Park St. - Sears

Pilgrim Street


19 N. Pilgrim - ENGINE HOUSE NO. 4 - Stockton's new $20,000 fire station was completed and ready for occupancy on August 1st 1908. It was be one of the handsomest and most up-to-date engine houses on the Pacific Coast. It was the Chief's intention to station the La France engine in the new house which is located on Pilgrim between Main Street and Weber Avenue. Moved to 27 East Rose Street in 1915 (which is a parking lot today) - Moved to 2630 Bonnie Lane in 1942. Moved to Pacific Avenue in 1967 

19 N. Pilgrim - ENGINE HOUSE NO. 4

19 N. Pilgrim - Former ENGINE HOUSE NO. 4


2630 Bonnie Lane - Former Firehouse


19 N. Pilgrim - Former ENGINE HOUSE NO. 4


S. Pilgrim and Jefferson - Mormon Slough

Sacramento Street




201 N. Sacramento Street - The Southern Pacific Rail Passenger Station was built in 1930 by Lewis and Green and was one of several civic building projects which were carried out in Stockton during the Depression. It was built when a transcontinental railroad was rerouted through Stockton to open up nearby agricultural lands. This rail line brought many people to Stockton in search of work during the .Depression. The building is· an excellent example of an elegant midsize railroad station, and Spanish Colonia/and Renaissance Revival style design. Now the Cabral Station

Sierra Nevada Street




Eastside Presbyterian Church / Iglesia Presbiteriana Central - 315 N. Sierra Nevada St. - 209-462-0079 - Services: 9:30 a.m. (Spanish) and 11 a.m. (English) Sun


443 N. Sierra Nevada - Former Noon Hour Lunch Restaurant


Cal Water Well House - Sierra Nevada & Fremont St.
Gleason's ice Cream - 501 N. Sierra Nevada


501 N. Sierra Nevada - Gleason's ice Cream / Former Eastside Printing (1976) / Community Linen Rental Service (1960)
519 N. Sierra Nevada - Former Besotes Boat Company


749 N. Sierra Nevada Street - Genova Bakery


749 N. Sierra Nevada Street - Genova Bakery


749 N. Sierra Nevada St - Genova Bakery - Left photo before the new paint job and red awnings





805 N. Sierra Nevada - Former Brice Market (1976) / Leo's Cash Grocery (1957)


1285 N. Sierra Nevada - Tire & Wheel Pros / Former Quick Stop Marke


1285 N. Sierra Nevada - Tire & Wheel Pros / Former Quick Stop Market


1525 N. Sierra Nevada

Stanislaus Street



10 N. Stanislaus - Former James Hotel -


44 N. Stanislaus - McHugh Tires


Stanislaus - Wards - Cyndi Bard photo


123 N. Stanislaus - Silvercrest Apartments


123 N. Stanislaus - Silvercrest Apartments


Stanislaus and 701 E. Channel - Channel Medical Center / Former  Calvary Tabernacle Assembly of God  (1957)

Stanislaus and
702 E. Channel - Ebenezer African American Methodist Church


Stanislaus North of Miner


Stanislaus & Lindsay
Stockton Street



528 N. Stockton St. Termite Control Co and Delk Pest Control

Stockton Street



528 N. Stockton St. Termite Control Co and Delk Pest Control

See also

Suggested Books Related to Stockton

External links

Stockton - Miner Avenue - Stockton Street Reviewed by Others on . Stockton - Miner Avenue - Stockton Street Rating: 5