Stockton - Hunter Square

Informational page only, Our practice is Residential Real Estate.

Over the last ten years, Stockton has attempted to address the issues affecting disinvestment downtown and wrestled with finding solutions. Many studies have been commissioned to analyze the market and develop strategies to revitalize downtown, and some gains have been made. Most recently the Downtown Alliance, a business improvement district which begin operation in 1998. However, with the California recession of the early 1990s and the complexity of the issues facing downtown, a workable strategy has not emerged to meet the scale of the challenge.

Nonetheless, it is clear that downtown Stockton offers much to build upon. Excellent highway access and visibility; the availability of vacant waterfront sites and large parcels to accommodate new development; and an impressive historic building stock, including the landmark Hotel Stockton, are just some of the physical assets the panel identified immediately. In addition, downtown Stockton has a concentration of government jobs, financial institutions, and public and private city leadership interested in the downtown.

Click any thumbnail and it becomes a slideshow where you can then scroll through the slides. Or select Auto Play or use the mouse or keyboard arrow keys to scroll through all images

Hunter Square Block - Including 100 and 200 Blocks of East Weber Avenue

Click here for Weber Avenue

Click to Enlarge Weber & El Dorado - Farmers Market - 1890s - Showing the head of the channel. In the background is the second county courthouse and the Yosemite Building

Click to Enlarge Weber Avenue at El Dorado - 1880s - Preparing for the construction of Hotel Stockton

Click to Enlarge Weber and Hunter Square buildings with train, 1895 - Photo taken from the top of the courthouse

Click to Enlarge Click to Enlarge South side of the street
110 E. Weber - Bank of America - Standing
108 E. Weber - Hotel Harvard (1957) -
112 E. Weber - Mead's Coffer Shop -
118 E. Weber - Ritz Rooms (1950) -
120 E. Weber -Joe's Tavern (1959) -
126 E. Weber - Harvard Book Store (1943) -

Click to EnlargeNorth side of the street
105 E. Weber - Adrian's Hotel Stockton Beauty Shop
107 E. Weber - Abraham Greenberg, Dentist
121 E. Weber - Hotel Stockton Coffee Shop (1959)
125 E. Weber - Hotel Stockton Lounge
129 E. Weber - Webbs at The Stockton Restaurant (1966)
133 E. Weber - Stockton Hotel
137 E. Weber - Hotel Stockton Barbershop (1966) / Walston Stocks
141 E. Weber - Ward Tyler's Sport Shop / Nell Fitzgerald, Women's Clothes
145 E. Weber - Davenport Arms / Day & Night Drug Store (1950)

149 E. Weber - Hotel Stockton - Constructed in 1910,  a prime example of mission revival architecture  Construction cost of $500,000 was financed by the Hotel Stockton company. The 200 room hotel was once the city’s finest hostelry. Read More on the Hotel Stockton Page

E. Weber Ave - Hunter Street Intersects

1875-1910's Hunter Square - left photo - Broderick Crawford - All The Kings Men

Click to Enlarge Click to Enlarge Hunter Square - Fire Chief (1920s) / Hunter Square - Fire Department

Click to Enlarge Hunter Square

Click to Enlarge Hunter Square - Ron Chapman

Click to Enlarge Hunter Square Acrobats

Click to Enlarge Red Cross nurses marching in Hunter Sq during the first flu Epidemic of 1919

Click to Enlarge Hunter Square - 1920

Click to Enlarge Balloon Ascension,
July 4, 1876 Centennial Celebration

Click to Enlarge Click to Enlarge Click to Enlarge 9-11 N. Hunter St. - Bank of Italy (1917). Renamed Bank of America in 1930. The upper floors were removed in the 1920's and a modern facade covered the front. Typically because of the poor quality construction, walls started bowing from the weight of the cornice and upper floors and were removed and reconstructed, estimating that this would save the building for several years.

The Bank of Italy was founded in San Francisco, California, United States, on October 17, 1904  by Amadeo P. Giannini. It grew by a branch banking strategy to become Bank of America, the world's largest commercial bank, with 493 branches in California and assets of $5 billion in 1945.

The bank was established to serve working class citizens of the area, especially Italian Americans living in San Francisco's North Beach neighborhood. The bank survived the San Francisco earthquake and fire of 1906 and was one of the first to offer loans to businesses to help rebuild the city.

In 1909, the bank began opening branches in other cities, beginning with San Jose. It had 24 branches by 1918, at which time it was the first statewide branch banking system.

The Bank of Italy merged with the smaller Bank of America, Los Angeles in 1928. In 1930, Giannini changed the name "Bank of Italy" to "Bank of America". As chairman of the new, larger Bank of America, Giannini expanded the bank throughout his tenure, which continued until his death in 1949.

Amadeo Giannini and the Bank of Italy were the basis for the classic 1932 Frank Capra movie American Madness, which was an original screenplay titled Faith by Robert Riskin.

Bank of America merged with NationsBank of Charlotte, North Carolina, in 1998. While NationsBank was the nominal survivor, the merged bank took the Bank of America name and operates under the original charter for Bank of Italy.

Click to Enlarge Click to Enlarge 15 N. Hunter St. - Morris Brothers - 1920s - Morris Brothers & Hotel Stockton

Nobel Hotel 19 N. Hunter St. - Noble Hotel
21 N. Hunter - Western Union
23 N. Hunter - Victoria Hotel
25 N. Hunter - Bill's Billiards

Click to Enlarge 27 N. Hunter - Western Title Insurance
29 N. Hunter - Hunter Square Cafe Restaurant / China Cafe
33 N. Hunter - Newt's Place Billiards
35 N. Hunter - Plaza Hotel / Plaza Rooms
37 N. Hunter - Black & White Cab / E.W. Grunsky Drugs (1937)

Hunter Square - 1930 - Boston Lunch Click to Enlarge Click to Enlarge Click to Enlarge 41 N. Hunter Sq. - Florida Rooms / 1930 - Boston Rooms / Boston Lunch

Hunter Square - 1936 American Legion Parade 1936 American Legion Parade

Click to Enlarge 222 E. Weber & Hunter looking West - 1909

Click to Enlarge 134 Weber Avenue
Click to Enlarge 134 Weber Avenue - 8/24/2013
Click to Enlarge 134 Weber Avenue - 3/15/2014

Click to Enlarge 134 E Weber - 3/22/2014
Click to Enlarge Hunter Square - 3/22/2014
Click to Enlarge  3/21/14 By Montezume Patrick Sanchez
Click to Enlarge 3/8/2014
Click to Enlarge 3/22/2014
Click to Enlarge 3/22/2014
Click to Enlarge 3/22/2014
Click to Enlarge 3/22/2014
Click to Enlarge 1/12/2014
Click to Enlarge 3/22/2014
Click to Enlarge 3/22/2014
Click to Enlarge 3/22/2014
Click to Enlarge  1/12/2014
Click to Enlarge 12/08/2013
Click to Enlarge 3/22/2014
Click to Enlarge 3/22/2014
Click to Enlarge 3/22/2014
Click to Enlarge 1/12/2014

Goddess of Justice

Click to Enlarge Click to Enlarge Click to Enlarge Goddess of Justice

Hunter Square Fountain

Click to Enlarge Proposed new San Joaquin County Courthouse - The old courthouse building is staying. This new 13 story building will be constructed on the West part of Hunter Square. There will be a large entry plaza in front off of Weber. The old courthouse will be refurbished with the south courtroom remaining and the Weber entrance to become administration.

Click to Enlarge Footprint of the new courthouse. Notice Main Street will return to intersect with El Dorado St. I had to look up " Sally Port" The primary modern meaning for sally port is a secure, controlled entryway, as of a fortification or a prison. The entrance is usually protected by some means, such as with a fixed wall blocking the door which must be circumvented before entering, but which prevents direct enemy fire from a distance. It may include the use of two doors such as with an airlock.

First San Joaquin County Courthouse

Click to Enlarge Click to Enlarge Click to Enlarge 222 E. Weber - First San Joaquin County Court House - completed late in 1853, and occupied jointly by the city and the county officials. The city occupied the south and the county the north half of the building. Left photo, courthouse under construction

Click to Enlarge Click to Enlarge Across from the Courthouse at 222 E. Weber looking North

Click to Enlarge Interesting photograph from Hunter Square looking East. From the left is part of the Manson House at 106 North Hunter Street, 229 E. Weber, The Argonaut Hotel, 223 E. Weber, Hammond and Yardley Groceries, 243 E. Weber, The New San Joaquin Hotel,  20 N. San Joaquin - a portion of The Yosemite Theatre building, 311 E. Main, The Wilhoit Building with the letters "Arcade" on it and of course, the San Joaquin County County Courthouse with the fountain. Photo courtesy of Holt Atherton Special Collections

Second San Joaquin County Courthouse

Click to Enlarge Click to Enlarge Click to Enlarge Click to Enlarge Click to Enlarge Click to Enlarge Click to Enlarge Click to Enlarge Click to Enlarge
222 E. Weber Avenue - Above - Second San Joaquin County Courthouse STOCKTON CA This picture was taken in the 1950's looking southeast from the corner of Weber Avenue and Hunter Street. The Academy Award Movie ALL THE KING'S MEN (1949) was filmed in Stockton and the courthouse. I recommend everyone to watch it. This beautiful courthouse was torn down in 1961 and replaced by a ugly nondescript block building.

Third San Joaquin County Courthouse

222 E. Weber Avenue - Third San Joaquin County Courthouse - This site was donated to the city by Charles Weber, although his preferred location was the old Franklin school, bounded by Commerce streets, Washington, Center and Lafayette. However the Hunter Square location was more centrally situated, and also was the biggest un-built location within the city, Subsequently Weber donated the land, on a condition that the plans would include a central plaza. The slough situated on the Western part of this block was filled in to create Hunter Square, and subsequently construction began on the first courthouse in 1853 and was dedicated in 1854. The county courthouse continues to be located on the site. Added to the Stockton city register with resolution number 30,102, November 20, 1972

Click to Enlarge 201 E. Weber - Casa Flores / Former Kappy's Coffee Shop / Strawberry Lane Coffee Shop (1959)

207 E. Weber - Bud Benhey, Jewelers / Arthur Glick, Jewelers

209 E. Weber - Windsor Hotel (1943)

Click to Enlarge 211 E. Weber - Bob Belz, Lawyer / Chisamor's Mens Clothing

215 E. Weber - O'brien Rubber Stamps (1943)

Click to Enlarge Click to Enlarge 219 E. Weber - Ulmer Photo / Easter's Fashion Botique / Mercantile Acceptance Auto Loans / Siever's Billiards (1943)

221 E. Weber - G.C. Kyle, Barber (1943)

Click to Enlarge223 E. Weber - Tidewater Art Gallery / Logan Camera Shop (1966) / W.E. Browning, Furniture

Click to Enlarge 225 E. Weber - Ray's Market / Brau House (1966) / Billye's Women's Clothing / D.S. Levinson Women's Clothes

227 E. Weber - Castillo Bail bond Agency / Peirano Brothers Real Estate / County Department of Elections (1943)

Click to Enlarge Click to Enlarge Click to Enlarge223 East Weber Avenue - Hammond and Yardley Groceries - The building was part of the Hammond and Yardley Grocery Store. Read More

Hammond and Yardley Groceries

once two stories tall. The 1895 and 1917 Stockton Sanborn Maps reveal that there was once a two-story building on this site, but by the time the 1950 map was drawn, a one-story building was present. The Stockton City Directory listed the building as the Pleasanton House by 1912 and through 1925. By 1930, the building was listed as the Skaggs Safeway Stores and the Bradford Hotel. By 1940, it had been converted into F. L. Williams. Real Estate and State Building and Loan, and in 1945, the Stockton Realty Board, State Savings & Loan Association and Williams Real. Estate were all located here. In the 1960s, the facade and interior were altered to accommodate a thrift shop. Photographs reveal a metal or wood panel placed over the upper portion of the facade, and a large display window in each of the two narrow bays. The screen has since been removed, and the facade remodeled to an Art Deco style.

225 E. Weber - Chamber of Commerce Building - California Seed and Hardware (1940)

Weber & 106 N. Hunter St. - Originally The Mansion House, this building was constructed in 1873. Read More

Originally The Mansion House

The Mansion House was well known in early Stockton, both architecturally and within the business community. Located directly across the street from the county courthouse and one block east of the Channel, the building held a central location in the city. Before major alterations, the building was a strong example of ltalianate style-commercial building. It had a comer bay, an ornamented bell cap with cresting, a roof balustrade, and ornamental hoods over the windows. In 1947 the building was extensively altered and expanded to its present configuration. This new facade covers two distinct buildings, as the owners bought the building to the east and incorporated the two into one. This remodel irreversibly impaired the historic integrity of this building. The Mansion House has been significantly altered and does not individually meet the criteria of the· National pr California Registers. / Windsor Apartments - 1930 photo

Click to Enlarge Click to Enlarge Click to Enlarge Click to Enlarge

229 E. Weber - Tretheway Block - Originally constructed as the Argonaut Hotel, with a hardware store at street level, this Queen Anne style structure includes Romanesque and Moorish elements of cast zinc floral patterns and sandstone. When constructed, the building had a taller false front parapet, which fell during the San Francisco earthquake in 1906; when the false front was reconstructed, it assumed a lower profile. The building is #82000987 on the National Register of Historic Places, and was added in 1982 as the Tretheway Block. The structure was added to the city register by resolution number 38,554 on September 8, 1981. Today the building is referred to as the Mansion House

229 E. Weber - Argonaut Hotel - Mr. John Trethway, who was a wealthy farmer, had this three-story brick building constructed in 1897. The architectural style is similar to the work of architect Frank Furness, who was an important Philadelphia architect at the time. The building Is unique in Stockton and while it has been altered, retains a great deal of integrity. ·This building is a City of Stockton Landmark and was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1982. Stockton City Directories listed it simply as the Trethway Building through 1919, and did not specify tenants. By 1925, and through at least 1950, it was listed as the Hotel Argonaut. It now contains several offices and ground floor shops

229 E. Weber 229 E. Weber

Click to Enlarge 231 E. Weber - Nick's Deli Express / Former Fireside Thrift / Stone Brothers Real Estate

Click to Enlarge 233 E. Weber - Nomilini, Grilli & McDaniel / State Savings and Loan / Arlington Hotel (1891) - Photo by Terry Gust

Click to Enlarge 235 E. Weber - (see photo above) Also part of the part of the Hammond and Yardley Grocery Store - This brick-faced building was once part of the Hammond and Yardly grocery store, a two story ltalianate structure that was well-known to the early residents of Stockton. Over the years, the building has been significantly modified, and the original facade completely reconstructed. The 1895 and 1917 Sanborn maps show a two-story building on this site. The 1950 Sanborn shows a one-story building with an identical footprint. The 1917 Sanborn map notes this building as a Tamale Factory and restaurant. There is no listing for this address in City Directories until1930, at which time it was the San Joaquin County Registration Office. By 1935, it was listed as vacant, but by 1940, the building was occupied by the offices of Davenport Development, Inc., F. J. Dietrich & Co. Real Estate, Stockton Properties, and the Stockton Terminal and Eastern Railroad, and remained as. such through at least 1950.
Aetna Insurance Co (1959)

Click to Enlarge Click to Enlarge Click to Enlarge 243 E. Weber, Zeiter Eye / Nelson's Imports / New San Joaquin Hotel - The building in the center of the photo. The structure on the right is the Belding Building.

245 E. Weber - Covello's Barber Shop / Art Basso Real Estate
247 E. Weber - Christian Science Reading Room / Drew's Liquors (1950) / Plaza Cafe Liquors (1943)

Click to Enlarge 275 E. Weber - Eagle Hotel- Stockton buildings, late 19th century

Click to Enlarge Click to Enlarge Click to Enlarge 200 Block of East Weber looking East

Click to Enlarge Click to Enlarge Weber & San Joaquin - NW Corner - San Joaquin Hotel -1850-1891

Stockton Streets

Stockton Shopping

Stockton in Books

See also

Stockton Hunter Square . Stockton Hunter Square