Informational page only, our practice is limited to Residential Real Estate.
I have created a series of pages covering the streets of Stockton. Scroll down the page or click on a link at the left to see another page. These
pages grew put of my love for both architecture and photography. The old photos came from various sources such as The California Photo Library,
Calisphere, Library of Congress, UOP Archives, USC Library. OAC Library, friends Facebook and many others. I literally
photographed thousands of photos of Stockton buildings. I continue to photograph Stockton on an ongoing basis.
When viewing photos on this page, you can click on a thumbnail to enlarge it and click again to reduce the size. Once you've enlarge a photo,
you can turn the page into a slide show by clicking on the arrows shown in the enlargement. At the right of the page is an RSS feed, typically updated with fresh content hourly.
Come back tomorrow and the topics covered will be different. I have included many
topics on the various pages, including architecture, photography, books camera equipment reviews.
Hover over the box at right and you will find a browser bar to control
the feed content. These pages are an ongoing project with changes
being made regularly. Enjoy!
California Street is a North South Street originating in South
Stockton and S. El Dorado and continuing to Alpine Avenue
STOCKTON IS ALIVE AND WELL - JUST NOT DOWNTOWN
While Downtown Stockton was hanging on to it's old ways i.e. Lack of parking
crowded streets, not attracting new businesses, demolishing businesses to create
massive public buildings, demolishing a nine square city block area in the name
of redevelopment (i.e. chasing people from downtown Stockton). North Stockton
was busy building large shopping centers with free parking, with new businesses
coming in from outside the area along with acres and acres of new housing
surrounding these new shopping centers and existing residents fleeing the older
neighborhoods for spacious new homes.
Still downtown Stockton, an area of approximately 550 acres, has suffered as the surrounding city has grown. DUE
TO THE GROWTH TO THE NORTH, DOWNTOWN IS NO LONGER THE GEOGRAPHIC OR COMMERCIAL
CENTER OF TOWN, but is left with a severely deteriorated retail function specializing in lower end of the market hotels and a poor,
social structure. ITS USES ARE BASICALLY INSTITUTIONAL AND GOVERNMENTAL IN
NATURE FROM 8:00 to 5:00 and is the largest center for elderly housing in the valley.
The lack of pedestrian activities and amenities and the cross town aerial freeway connector leaves a negative feeling among the citizens.
It attracts a population of retired elderly, transient workers and vagabonds (males and persons over 65) who make Stockton their semi-permanent residence, taking advantage of the inexpensive living quarters offered in the deteriorating
hotels and apartments and the food program of the senior service center. The majority of the housing units and hotel rooms are occupied by
weekly or monthly renters. The area is perceived by many as an unsafe place to go either
in the day or night time. The edges are largely tattered, and the core area, mostly older 2-3 story structures, house the elderly and single poor.
Downtown Stockton has been designated a Stockton Enterprise Zone and the Redevelopment Area, designations from the state and city respectively, a myriad of incentives are available to business and property owners. These incentives
are a downtown attempt to attract new businesses and a destination for visitors and residents.
Virtually all shopping has moved north of Harding Way where you will find
vibrant shopping areas and shopping centers. along Pacific Avenue such as THE
MIRACLE MILE, WEBERSTOWN, SHERWOOD MANOR, LINCOLN CENTER and SPANOS PARK WEST
off Eight Mile Road.
In addition Charter Way (now Martin Luther King Boulevard) and Wilson Way
continue to be active retail areas as well.
The photos on this page are a collection of now and then.
Click any thumbnail and it becomes a slideshow where you can then scroll through the slides. Or
select Auto Play or use the mouse or keyboard arrow keys to scroll through all images
Looking north at Weber Avenue from California Street
7 N. California - Former California Floral
10 N. California St. - Wakefield House - Hotel Wakefield - Law Offices - This building was named after its owner, C. H. Wakefield, a Stockton area farmer. The
second floor served as the hotel and the first floor was used for commercial businesses. The 1917 Sanborn map shows the structure with two projecting bays. Stockton City
Directories show no listing for #10 N. California until 1930. In 1925, the resident of #14 (part of the same building) •. listed simply as "Oriental." By 1930, Morris
Plan is listed at #10; Fred Moore, optician, at #12; and L. T. Bong, whose occupation is listed as "herbs~ fn #14. The occupant of #10 remained unchanged through 1950.
#12 is not fisted after 1930. #14 was vacant in 1935, but by 1940 and through 1945 was fisted as the Grace Moore Beauty Shop.
11 N. California St. - Hotel Main / Hotel MacAllister - This building is present on the 1895,1917 and 1950 Stockton Sanborn Maps. The Stockton City Directory
lists the Hotel MacAllister at this address in 1919. By 1925, the name was changed to the Hotel Main, and remained as such through 1950. It later became residential
apartments with several commercial spaces below. - left photo, Floyd Perry Jr.
15 N. California - Sea Food Grotto Restaurant
16 N. California - New Cal Hotel
17 N. California - Former Hotel Lenox
19-N. California - Lao Thai Cousines / Former Pioneer Tomale - Left Photos courtesy of Ron Chapman. Middle Photo posted by Terry Gust
20 N. California - 'Ryleigh's Tavern / Delmonico's, Sterling Hotel, New California Hotel - The building was constructed in 1906 and housed a small hotel on the
second and third floor. ·The ·first floor was one of Stockton's most popular eating places. The restaurant was known as Delmonico's, and specialized in Italian-American
food. By 1929 and through 1950, Danner "The Paint Man" Paints was located here. By 1955, Dane's Health Foods had taken over the space. By 1960, Gall's Men's
Shop was located here.
21 - Walt's Tavern / Now a parking lot
23 - Former Liberty Market
25 - California Clothiers - Now a parking lot
29 - Furhman Music - Now a parking lot
31 - Howard's Jewelers / WOW Club - Now a parking Lot - Left photo by Floyd Perry Jr.
24-34 N. California - Land Hotel - The building appears on the 1917 and 1950 Sanborn maps. This structure was constructed in the late. 1890s by the Arndt family,
who were active in local business. The building was the home to the Stockton Record newspaper until 1911. The second floor was known for many years as the Palace Rooms.
There is no listing of this address in Stockton City Directories until 1905, when it was known as the Wakefield House. The name. changed to Hotel Wakefield in 1919, then
ecame the Dawson Hotel by 1935. By 1940, the address was listed as the New Cal Hotel and L A Danner Prints. Trocadero Tavern. Demolished September 2012
28 - The Record Shop - Demolished (in the former Land Hotel)
Read More about Ghirardelli
In 1849, Ghirardelli received news of the gold strike at Sutter’s Mill and sailed to California. After doing some prospecting, Ghirardelli opened a general store in
Stockton, offering supplies and confections to fellow miners. Ghirardelli's tent-based store was one of the first shops set up in the area.
Several months later, Ghirardelli opened a second store on the corner of Broadway and Battery in San Francisco, which became, in 1850, his first establishment in that
A fire on May 3, 1851destroyed Ghirardelli's San Francisco business, and a few days later, his Stockton store also burned down. However, in September of the same year,
Ghirardelli used his remaining assets to open the Cairo Coffee House in San Francisco. This business venture proved unsuccessful, and Ghirardelli opened a new store,
named "Ghiardelli & Girard", on the corner of Washington and Kearny Streets in San Francisco. Soon afterward,
Ghirardelli was making enough money to send for his
family, who were still living in Peru. The company was incorporated in 1852 and has been in continuous operation since.
33-45 N. California Street - St. Leo Hotel - The Hotel St. Leo is one of several early Twentieth Century hotels constructed in Stockton. The St. Leo was built in
1913 and once hosted travelling salesmen and the out-of-town elite. Reading rooms at the St. Leo were upholstered in leather, and rooms there cost $1. The building
possesses Renaissance Revival details. The exterior of the St. Leo Hotel retains much of its architectural integrity. Corner of Weber - Bottom Right photo, St. Leo Hotel -
looking N.E. with Stockton Engineering College and Ghiardelli sign. Bottom Photo, Matthew Craig. Read More about the
Other businesses in the ST. Leo:
33. N. California - Modern Appliance Store,
37 N. California - St Leo Coffee Shop,
39 N. California - Hotel St Leo .
The Hotel St. Leo, forced to close its doors in September of 1995 by city inspectors, was home to between 15 and 20 residents. A co-owner
of the hotel planed reopened after some work to bring the building up to code. Naheem Akhtar, who, along with two brothers, owned the
54-room Hotel St. Leo at 39 N. California St. for nine years were committed to restoring the building.
They obtained a permit to begin work and solicited bids, and the estimated cost was quite substantial. In the meantime, the building
remained empty. The hotels last guest checked out in September of 1995. after an order was issued the order to vacate the building.
In its heyday, the decades-old hotel was something of a jewel. However its fortunes, along with those of downtown Stockton changed with
the times. The rusty red sign jutting from the corner of the four-story, brick building at the intersection of California Street and
Weber Avenue became as much an advertisement for decay as for lodging.
Gated and vacant storefronts now haunt the buildings first floor while faded curtains hang in the windows above. Behind those curtains
lived 15 to 20 people, most of them on welfare, in what became a rat-and roach-infested building with one toilet, broken smoke detectors,
inadequate lighting in common areas, and a faulty fire alarm and escape system.
These conditions resulted in a citation and $250 fine for the buildings lease holder and manager at the time, Harry Waland. The hotels
condition stemmed from a lack of close oversight by Waland. During his tenure, there were many violations which he did not correct.
The previous order to vacate the building had been issued in April 1994, mainly because windows opening onto fire escapes had been
nailed or screwed shut. Waland was given the option of either opening the windows or installing a fire-sprinkler system in the hotels
rooms. Waland contends he did maintain the building and spent $17,000 to install the fire-sprinkler system and bring the building up to
code. The building was allowed to be occupied again about a month later. However when the Hotel St. Leo locked its doors again in
1995 it became the third such hotel to vacate that year as a result of the city's code-enforcement efforts.
34 N. California - Mark's Piano Company
36 N. California - New Dinette Restaurant
38 N. California - Pacific Finance
45 N. California - Weber Poultry Market / Central Drug Co (1940)
46 N. California - H.C. Shaw Company - Next to right photo courtesy of Floyd Perry Jr. The building is still there, but heavily stuccoed over - Left photo California
Street on the south side of the H.C. Shaw building
48 N. California - R.M. Layne Opt
N. California St - Weber Avenue Intersects
Click for Weber Avenue
102 N. California - California Water Service Company
106 N. California - C.E. Lindstrom Typewriters (1940)
108 N. California St. - Corner of Weber. - Humphreys College / Humphreys School of Business- 1930s & 1940s - Today
Bank of A&C sits on this corner
118 N. California - Campora Appliances (1976) / C.E. Pike Furniture (1940)
115-121 N. California St. - William P. Miller Carriage Manufacturing - Entire northern portion of the block demolished for the RTD. This remnant of a
larger carriage manufacturing complex is important its association with William Payson Miller. Miller was a prominent citizen and businessman who established one of
Stockton's oldest carriage· factories: Miller originally repaired and manufactured the large freight wagons, known as the "Stocktonian" which were used to haul large
amounts of equipment and goods to the gold mines. When the demand diminished, he manufactured light carriages and stage wagons, at one point producing about 400
carriages a year. In the/ate 1860's, Miller replaced his original wood shop with a 2-story brick structure, later expanded into a larger and ornate brick building.
Miller's carriage factory is present on the 1895 Stockton Sanborn map. The building remained unaltered, though its neighbors were modified, on the 1917. It was later
occupied by Bums, Cigars. By 1940, the Goodman Barber Shop and Christensen Rea/Estate. By 1950, the businesses had changed to Stockton Beauty & Barber Supplies and the
Mohaghan Typewriter Shop.
125 N. California - Pepi Pizza House Restaurant
126 N. California - WTCT Building - First English Lutheran Church (1940)
128 N. California - E.F. Williams - Wood Coal and Hay
129 N. California - Ralph White Bail Bonds
131 N. California - Sequioa Apartments (1940)
133 N. California - Gus' Liquors
135 N. California St. = J.N. Harrison & Sons Grocery - 1915 - Today part of the RTD
139 N. California - Subway Cleaners
142 N. California - Exchange Building (1940)
148 N. California - Arnie's Cocktail Bar
California & Channel - SE corner Former Sunny's / Stockton Business College (1891) - 2nd from right photo, Floyd Perry Jr. - 1987 - Right photo, a bank parking lot today.
190 N. California & Channel NE Corner - Grand Central Hotel - In 1890, John Henderson was the proprietor. Part of The Stockton Business College is showing on the
right side - Today a vacant lot - John Henderson - 1835-1897. Born in Scotland. To the USA and California via Cape Horn in 1850. He came to Stockton in 1854 and
engaged in the restaurant business. He left Stockton in 1864, returning in 1869 to build the Grand Central Hotel.
N. California St - Channel Street Intersects
201-215 N. California - NW Corner - State Hotel - Construction of the Hotel State was begun in October 1923 for the original property owner, L Boscou. Boscou
contracted local builders Lewis & Green to erect the three-story hotel for an estimated cost of $30,000. The Hotel State was one of many hotels built in Stockton In the
early 20th century to support the influx of visitors to the city emerging as the transportation hub of the Central Valley. Although the State Hotel has had alterations,
it retains its overall form and detailing. The Stockton City Directories listed the State Hotel by 1930. Businesses in the hotel at this time included the State Drug
Company (205), State Cafe (207), and Olson & Son Tailors (211). By 1935, the Drug Company had been replaced. A shoe repair shop (205), and P. M. Trucco Beer (201) had
also rented a space in the hotel building. By 1940, Quality Paint opened a shop, and Hulsey's Business Services (211) replaced the tailor. By 1945, Boscoe Barber (203)
replaced the .paint store, Steele Beauty Shop (207) replaced the restaurant, and a State Farm Insurance office (211) replaced the business services store. These businesses
remained through at least 1950. According to State Office of Historic Preservation records, this property appears eligible tor listing in the National Register as a
separate property. A good example of Renaissance Revival Style, despite alterations to the ground floor and replacement of windows. The masonry work is of a notably high
On Jan. 13, 2015, the City Council approved a loan that will allow the Cort Group development company to renovate the building's facade, a prelude to plans for
undetermined retail businesses on the ground floor and, eventually, possible housing on the upper floors. The building, which is about 90 years old, is at 201-215 N.
California Street, across Channel Street from the downtown transit center
201 N. California - Quarter Horse Saloon / Former Pete's Tavern (Pete's Place) / Trucco Beer (1930) /Trucco Liquors /
203 N. California - True Classic - Piercing & Tattoo / Family Den Barber Shop / Tony's Barber Shop / Boscoe Barber
205 N. California - Hair's To You / State Shoe Repair / Lecera Shoe Repair / State Drug Co
207 N. California - McCombs Realty / Monarch Beauty Supply / Steele Beauty Shop / State Cafe
211 N. California - State Farm / Olsen & Son Taylors
215 N. California - Sutter Manor Hotel / Hotel State
214 N. California - Grider Electric (1959)
210 N. California - Walton Apartments - Demolished
212 N. California - Vacant lot - Former Selma Apartments (1925-1940)
222-230 N. California - Pike's Furniture Store - Constructed in 1924, and appears on the 1950 Stockton Sanborn Map. The first occupant of the building was the
Pike's Furniture Store. By 1940, Matteoni's Liquors is listed at this address. By 1950, the California Furniture Company occupied the space, which was converted into the
Anglo California National Bank by 1955. By 1960, the space changed hands again and was used as the County Assessors' offices. It is currently the San Joaquin Valley
240 N. California - California Furniture Outlet
231 N. California - Dunlap Hardware / Pacific Nash Motor Co (1930)
426 E. Miner - Former Smith Auto Park
434 E. Miner - Former Vince's Chevron
448 E. Miner - Former Jerry's Chevron Service / Former Service Cab Co.
240 N. California - California AutoTech / Former Contenintal Trailways (1957) / Western Auto Supply (1930-1940)
301 N. California - Former Herb Hanson Union Service
316 N. California - California Apartments (1940)
317 N. California - Casa De Campeones Boxing Club / Former Midas Muffler Shop
322 N. California St. - Previously The Downtown Motel - Building Still Standing - Center photo by Ron Chapman
327-331 N. California St. - Pezzi Apartments - By 1915, Stockton City Directories listed six tenants at 329 N. California, and a P. W. Mosher at 327. By 1921,
eight tenants were listed at 329, ·and John Becker had moved into 327. By 1925, there were again six tenants at 329, and no other adjacent buildings were noted. By
1930, only five tenants were listed at 329, with Mother Lee's Pure foods on the ground floor 327 and the California Fruit Market at 331. Members of the Pezzi family had
been in residence in this building since it was first listed, and by 1940, the building is listed as the Pezzi Apartments. By 1945, the ground floor businesses had
changed to a restaurant owned by C. M. Harelson and J. T. Warren's grocery store. By 1950, the businesses had changed to the Cal Market Grocery and the M & L Meat
331 N. California St. - Tom's Market / J.T. Warren Grocery (1940)
324·330 N. California St. - This. building appears on the 1917 and 1950 Stockton Sanborn Maps as "8 apartments." Stockton City Directories listed as the Aetna
Apartments starting in 1916 and through 1950. There is no record of the ground floor businesses. Also 328 - Aetna Apartments (1940)
332 N. California - Henry Konchrey Radios (1950) / Fred Timalus, a news director, / Philip Gee Laundry (1940) / Aetna Garage (1930)
334 N. California - M. R. Baker, Barber (1950) / L. M. Hollinger Barber (1940)
338 N. California St. - California Smoke Shop & Deli / Williams Sporting Goods / Quigley & Trayer Grocery / Hess Dry Cleaning (1930)
340 N. California - Former Porter Lee Laundry / Din How Laundry (1957)
344-348 N. California St. - By 1919, 346 North California is listed in City Directories as the Williams Apartments, H. T. Williams, owner. By 1930, the retail
space on the ground floor of the Williams Apartments, at 348 California, was occupied by J. M. Calvin, grocer. By 1935, the grocery space was vacant, but the space opposite
at 344 California was occupied by Louis Smith's restaurant. In 1940, Pete's Lunch was in the restaurant space, and J. A. Mead's plumbing store was in the former grocery
store. By 1945, the Hipperson Massage Parlor was at 344 and The Beauty Box at 348. In 1950, Manotti Liquors was located at 344 and the Very Gianetti Beauty Shop at 348.
Later it was the Oakwood Club and Liquor Store is in the former. Manotti space. 346 - Williams Apartments (1940)
345 N. California - Former Del Monte Save Mor Service / C&B Richfield (1949)
401 N. California - California Pharmacy
405 N. California St. - Former Soup Sellar / Le Bistro Restaurant - Left photo
401 N. California - Lindsay Medical Center
411 N. California - California Pharmacy - Handy Spot Market (1957)
417 N. California - Wilma Beilby Furnished Rooms
408 N. California - Former Turnquist Associated Gas Station (1957)
418-420 N. California - Manthy Apartments - Manthy Brothers Awnings
425 N. California - California Medical Building
430 N. California - Stockton Ice and Fuel (1940) - Demolished
431 N. California - Stockton Ice Cream Co. - Demolished
433 N. California - Brownies Cleaners - Demolished
445 N. California - Former Cazale's Flower Shop / Collins & Cazale Flower Shop (1950)
447 N. California - Wallace Drug Co (1940)
448 N. California - Former Postal Instant Press / Bank of America Warehouse
501-507 N. California - Private residence / Former Lilian Blackwell Lodgings / AT King Real Estate (1950)
502 N. California - Vacant Lot / Former Thornburg's Shell Service / Duke Shell Service
513 N. California - Former Miller's Place Tavern / Dad & Mom's Place Liquors (1950) - Looks like it was the garage for 501 N. California at one time.
519 N. California - Apartments - Demolished
521 N. California - Bones Insurance / San Joaquin Realty
523 N. California - Former Rymans Photo Finishing / Valley Photo Service / Hy-Klas Photo Service
525 N. California - William Tesch Dentist
540 N. California St.- Five Forty Building (Medical)
602 N. California St. - Former Tolbert Mobilegas - Left photo posted by Kevin Shawver
630 N. California St - Morris Brothers / Former Dawson's Van & Storage
633 N. California - Meeker Apartments (1940)
660 N. California St - Former Travaille's Real Estate and 640 N. California Former Morris Brothers / Former Dawson's Van & Storage. Photo on the right, Former
Travaille's Real Estate and Cal-Park Liquors
701 N. California - Vacant lot / Former Ferguson Dentist
702 N. California - Cal-Park Liquors / Frank's Package Liquors / Hans Peterson Grocer (1940) - Left photo Kevin Shawver, middle photo, Ron Chapman
716 N. California
729 N. California - Family Youth Services / First Channel Insurance / Former National Cash Register Company
740 N. California - Former Residence
747 N. California - Vacant lot / Former Acosta Garage & Texaco Service - Demolished
1501 N. California - Former Don Web, Realtor / EJ Meister Drugs (1950)
1502 N. California - Jeff Webb - Baker (1930) - Demolished
1505 N. California - Parking lot / George Constantine Restaurant
1506 N. California - Former Abby Rents - Demolished
1521 N. California - Shower's Hot Dog Stand - Shower's Frosty Ice Cream - Demolished
- Right Photo courtesy of Ron Chapman - On the right, Not any ordinary parking lot. This was the former George's Drive In at 1521 North California St. In 1957 / 1958
/1959 Shower's Frosty Ice Cream and Shower's Hot Dog Stand in the back was located here. 1950 Schaver Ice Cream Company
1605 N. California - Parking Lot / Former JP Texaco
St Josephs Hospital
1800 N. California N. California -
St Joseph's Hospital / St Josephs Home. "It began as a dream, then a prayer, a hope, and finally a reality. On March 19, 1899,
Father William B. O'Connor and the people of Stockton gathered to celebrate the official setting of the cornerstone for St. Joseph's Home and Hospital." - Cards courtesy of Terry Gust
1805 N. California&
1823 N. California - Vic's Market - Demolished
2101 N. California - Church of Christ
2308 N. California St. Central Valley Cardovascular Association
Former businesses demolished at this location
2300 - Teitjen Meats
2312 - Cal-Pine Barber Shop -
2314 - Jakes Well Liquors / Risso Bros Market
2309 N. California St - Mini Max / Former Wilson & Coffey Appliances
2315 N. California St - Vogue Cleaners
2333 N. California - Physician's Building
2420 N. California - Medical Art's Building
2510 N. California - Oak Park Community Hospital
2626 N. California - Stockton Labor Center
2700 -N. California Oak Park Trailer Court - Demolished for Labor Center
2815 N. California - Monigal's Grocery - Still Standing
2821 N. California - Chris & Inkies Restaurant - Demolished
2850 N. California -
Alpine Market / Former Centromart #6 / Street Car Barns and Offices -Built in 1907 The first Stockton built 10 horsepower electric streetcars
were introduced in 1892 to replace horse and mule drawn trolleys used since 1875. The Stockton Electric Railroad Co. built the Streetcar Barns and Office Complex in
1907 and utilized this facility until 1941 after which gasoline powered motor coaches served as the primary mode of public transportation The building was
added to the city register by resolution number 85-0307 on May 13, 1985
West side of California in this block all demolished
for the American Savings building
7 S. California - Stockton Hearing aid Center - Demolished
17 S. California - Pope Drug - Demolished
21 S. California - Scott's Stationary - Demolished
29 S. California - Lyman Grill Restaurant - Demolished
33 S. California - Clover Club - Demolished
39 S. California - Mason Hotel - Demolished
45 S. California - Cal Mar Club - Demolished
00 S. California - Those funny blotches are the reflections from the American Savings Building across the street - Maybe they are the ghosts of the demolished buildings
10 S. California
18 S. California St, just south of Main, late 1930s. visible are Berg's Clothiers,
20 S. California - The Fan Club & Cigar Store,
22 S. California - Wale's Candy and Ice Cream,
28 S. California - Stockton Printing, and Peffer Music and Home Furnishings. The tower on the roof is the broadcast antenna for KDGM. Photo from the Kevin Shawver
22 S. California - Kappy's Hamburger Heaven
28 S. California - Tip Top Sandwich Shop
38-48 S. California Street - Peffer Building - Stockton City Directories show no listing at this address until 1930, when it was occupied by International Trucks.
By 1935, B. L Remington Garage (who also occupied the building next door at 20 S. Aurora is listed. By 1940, Devine & Willard Auto Trucks were at this address. The
building changed hands by 1945, when the Kraft Cheese Company had a facility here, and again by 1950, when the Republic Supply Company of California occupied the
building.0-50 South California Street - Hunter Loan & Jewelry - This building appears on the 1895, 1917 and 1950 Sanborn maps. The 1895 map noted the presence of
a paint shop, restaurant, drug store, and lodgings on the second floor. The 1917 map recorded a bicycle shop, and candy factory, among other businesses. The Stockton
City Directory of 19211ists 38 S. California as the Golden West Rooms, and names five tenants. By 1930, the City Directory listed it as the Peffer's Music Studio
Building, with a wide variety of tenants, including the Elmer School of Music, Peffer's Music Company, Radio KDGM, Monte's Bakery & Stockton Tamale Cafe, Stockton Coney
Island, Stockton Seed Company, and Stockton Drug Company. By 1935, only the Coney Island and Peffer Music Company remained. In 1940, KDGM Radio, Peffer Music and a Post
Office were listed. By 1945 the building was listed as vacant. In 1950, it again housed a variety of businesses, including a shoe store, women's clothier, the Stork
Shop, two beauty shops, a confectioner's and a paint store. The shoe store, Stork Shop, and Stockton School of Beauty remained in the building through at least 1960.
A second shoe store, a men's wear shop, and Lee Stores Vacuum Cleaners opened in the 1950s. There is currently a large pawn shop on the ground floor.
32 S. California - The Wearhouse
34 S. California - Hunter Square Loan & Jewelry
48 S. California - Stockton Shoe Mart
California and Market - Keyes House
Wolf Hotel seen from the 00 Block of S. California Street - Photo Courtesy of Floyd Perry Jr. Collection
100 Block of S. SE California and Market - The Record
140 S. California - Ward Hotel - Demolished
100 Block of S. SW California and 442 E. Market St. - Former Realty Building -Now a Parking Garage
105 S. California - Daylite Market (1950)
113 S California St - One Thirteen Club
141 S. California St. - Yale Apartments - This building is listed at the Yale Apartments starting in the 1912 Stockton City Directory. Ground floor businesses
present by 1930 Include Tassano Antonia Gents Furniture, Barber Stables, Mike West Tailor, the Home Wiring Company and a grocery. By 1935, the furniture store was
replaced by a physician's office, and the wiring company by a restaurant. Wong. Ankai Herbs, a Chinese herbalist, also had a shop here. By 1940, ground floor businesses
included. the physician, an antique shop, barber, music shop, restaurant, furniture store and an herbalist, who remained through 1950. In 1945, the Directory also listed
Rex Novelty Vending Machines. By 1950, a watch repair shop replaced the clothier, and a bar replaced the cleaners'.
147 S. California - Don's Grocery
S. California St - Washington Street, and Crosstown Freeway Intersects
210 S. California - Brenan Hotel
220-222 S. California - Peter Torseani- Body Works
225 S. California - Salvation Army Store
245 S. California - Blanche's Cafe 7 Bruzzone & Irwin
246 S. California - Xclusive Laundry
247 S. California - Claremont Apartments - 1920s - Demolished for Crosstown Freeway - Joe's Mexico City Cafe - 1967 (C.D. Sotelo)
S. California St - Lafayette Street Intersects
300 S. California - Mike's Union Station - Skip's Gas station in Rampage