Oregon Lighthouses

List of all lighthouses in the state of Oregon as identified by the United States Coast Guard and other historical sources.

Most of Oregonís lighthouses were designed and built by the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers between 1870 and 1896. They were erected on prominent headlands or near major estuaries to support commercial fishing and shipping along the Oregon coast. The lighthouses were originally managed by the former U.S. Lighthouse Board, with the U.S. Coast Guard taking over stewardship duties in 1939.

After installing automated beacons in the 1960s, the Coast Guard began transferring its lighthouse holdings to other government agencies. Nine of Oregonís surviving lighthouse stations have been added to the National Register of Historic Places. They are visited by more than 2.5 million people each year.

Focal height and coordinates are taken from the 1907 United States Coast Guard Light List, while location and dates of activation, automation, and deactivation are taken from the United States Coast Guard Historical information site for lighthouses.

Name Image Location Year first lit Year deactivated Height
Cape Arago Light Coos Bay 1866 (First)
1934 (Current)
2006
(Now tribal land)
044 44 ft (13 m)
Cape Blanco Light Port Orford 1870 Active 059 59 ft (18 m)
Cape Meares Light Oceanside
(Cape Meares)
1890 1963
(Replacement light
deactivated in 2014.
038 38 ft (12 m)
Cleft of the Rock Light Yachats 1976 Active 034 34 ft (10 m)
Coquille River Light Bandon 1896 1939 040 40 ft (12 m)
Desdemona Sands Light None Astoria 1901 1965
(Demolished)
048 48 ft (15 m)
Heceta Head Light Florence 1894 Active 056 56 ft (17 m)
Pelican Bay Light
(aka: Port of Brookings Light
None Brookings 1997
(Private light)
Active 035 35 ft (11 m)
Point Adams Light None Astoria 1875 1899
(Demolished in 1912)
049 49 ft (15 m)
Tillamook Rock Light Seaside
(Tillamook Head)
1881 1957 062 62 ft (19 m)
Umpqua River Light Winchester Bay 1857 (First)
1894 (Current)
Active 061 61 ft (19 m)
Warrior Rock Light Sauvie Island 1877 (First)
1970s (Current)
Active 025 25 ft (7.6 m)
Willamette River Light None Portland 1895 1950s
(Burned down)
Unknown
Yaquina Bay Light Newport 1871 Active
(Inactive: 1874Ė1996)
051 51 ft (16 m)
Yaquina Head Light Newport 1873 Active 093 93 ft (28 m)


Oregon Lighthouses
(Umbrella Guides)

Oregon Territory s first lighthouse was built on the Umpqua River in 1857 to guide ships engaged in the growing coastal trade between California and the Pacific Northwest. These absorbing stories tell of the fascinating history of 14 lighthouse that served the Oregon Coast and lower Columbia River, and Columbia River Lightship station and the lighthouse tenders that served them all woven into the rich maritime lore of the Beaver State.

This guide is packed with maps, photographs and useful information, including visitors hours and descriptions of those lighthouses and nearby museums, which are open to the public.