List of all lighthouses in the U.S. state of Alaska as identified by the United States Coast Guard. There are eleven active lights in the state; the other five have been replaced by automated skeleton towers.
The history of Alaskan lighthouses predates the Seward purchase: the Russians erected a light at Sitka, in Baranof Castle (located on Castle Hill); this light was found unnecessary by the Lighthouse Service and discontinued, but was taken over by the army and maintained by them until 1877. The first American lighthouses in the state were erected in 1902 but most early lights were rebuilt before 1940 in a distinctive Art Deco style; the only surviving building from the earlier group is the Eldred Rock Light. The last constructed were replacements for the lights on Unimak Island in 1950.
The Lighthouse People present lighthouses of Alaska: History, Legend, Lore, Design, Technology, Romance Hardcover
The U.S. purchased the vast territory of Alaska from Russia in 1867. However, there were no lighthouses in the territory until late in the 1800s, when the discovery of gold in Canada's neighboring Yukon Territory brought a rush of settlers and commerce to the southeastern coastal region. Eldred Rock Light is the only survivor from the first series of quickly-built wooden lighthouses. The other early lights were replaced in the 1920s and 1930s by an interesting group of Art Deco concrete towers.
Many of the lighthouses of southeastern Alaska have been transferred to local preservation groups, but there is no statewide preservation society. Because of Alaska's vigorous and generally wet climate, lighthouse restoration and maintenance is a major challenge.