Under Spanish and subsequent Mexican rule, the California seat of government was located in Monterey from 1777 to 1846. The first Constitutional Convention was held there in 1849. One of the tasks was to decide upon the location of the new capital of the state. San Jose was the location of the initial legislative sessions in (1850-1851). Later locations included Vallejo in (1852-1853), along with nearby Benicia in (1853-1854); in due course these locations proved unacceptable as well. The capital moved to Sacramento in 1854 with just a short break during 1861 as legislative sessions were temporarily moved to San Francisco because of flooding in Sacramento.