E. Weber Ave - Sutter Street Intersects
Click for Sutter Street
Click for Weber from Center to Sutter Streets
The Downtown Trolly (Bus) - Discontinued - RTD ran a free service from UOP, up the Miracle Mile to the ballpark, arena and downtown theater.
Budget cuts ended the service.
Weber & Sutter
- Stockton Hall of Pioneers - The Society of Pioneers was established in 1868. The first hall of pioneers was erected
in 1890 on the Southwest corner of Weber and Sutter. The archives and commemoration to the pioneers survives to this day in the Haggin Museum
400 Block of East Weber looking East - Photo courtesy of Ron Chapman
Kendalls in The Elks Building - Weber & Sutter
Weber and 42 N. Sutter St SE Corner - Elks Building - 36-48 North Sutter Street - Built in 1908 the (1900-24) Chicago style by Architects
Salfield & Kohlberg, a five-story structure which featured a massive stained glass skylight dome originally proposed for the Elks Hall in
San Francisco, however after the earthquake of 1906 t was switched to Stockton.. The Elks Benevolent Protective Order held their meetings until
1976 upon the top floor. The dome was later taken away and sold. In 1980 The upper floors received fire damage, however the lobby still features
the original Elks motif mosaic floor The structure is #80004606 on the National Historic Places. The building has had various occupants
since it was constructed. Stockton's first pharmacy, the Holden Drug Company, occupied the ground floor from 1908 through 1927. In 1930,
Stockton City Directories listed Burnham Furniture, an insurance company, an attorney, an architect, and a physician as tenants In the Elks Building. Other businesses located here have
included the United Paint Company and the Economy Shoe Store.
38 N. Sutter St - King of Cuts
40 N. Sutter - Downtown Cafe
401-407 East Weber Avenue - Hart & Thrift Building - 2000 - Courtesy of Ron Chapman
401-407 East Weber Avenue - Hart & Thrift Building - 2000 - Courtesy of Floyd Perry Jr.
400 Block of East Weber looking East
401 E. Weber - Designed in a vernacular interpretation of the Renaissance Revival style, was
built in 1869 and was one of the oldest buildings in Stockton. First appearing on the 1895 Sanborn maps. One of the oldest buildings in Stockton, it was
built for the Hart & Thrift grocery store in 1869. Despite substantial alterations, the building remained significant
because of its extreme age and association with the early development of
commerce in Stockton. The structure was. designed by B. Mackay, a local architect who designed other buildings in
Stockton during the same period. The The building's original owners, Mr. John W. Hart and Mr. E E. Thrift were highly respected
gentlemen within the business community. Hart was a former blacksmith who owned his own business for many
years, and Thrift was a businessman. When the building was constructed, the Stockton Independent noted that
the building had "handsome fronts, and . . . two commodious stores and sixteen rooms." The
grocery store carried "a choice lot of groceries and provisions." There is no listing for this building in City Directories until 1930, when a Mark Curtis was listed here. By 1935, the
building was occupied by the Morthrift Co. & Finance, and A. G. Girder Electrician. Morthrift Co. remained at this
location through 1950. By 1940, the electrician's space was listed as. vacant, but by 1945, it was listed as A. G. Henry
Real Estate. By 1950, it had become Davis & Eakes Real Estate & Insurance. The building was last occupied
by Dickerson's Religious Gifts and Downtown Optometry. Now a Facade for the RTD
413 E. Weber - Upstairs of the Weber Dance Hall, Former Sciots Hall
409-413 E. Weber Avenue. The Bower Building was constructed in 1895. The building had three storefronts on the first floor, a hall an the second floor and a 1-story
harness shop along the full width of the rear (north elevation).
409 - Davis Insurance & Real Estate (1952) / Grider Electrical Co. (1930)
411 - Carl G. Schnieder Harness, dealing in leather goods, trunks, etc.(1930-1940)
413 - Valley Shoe (1990) / Vacant (1930) / 1933 it was remodeled for use as a still extant Shoe store / John Jory & Ca. From at least 1915 to 1930 /
Undertaker (1896) /
415 - Chin Edwin Restaurant (1940) / Vacant (1945) / the Golden Pragan
In 1945, the City Directory listed A. G. Henry Real Estate, G. R:. Pitzen Liquors, G. E. Crane Mortgage & Loan, and Sims & Grupe Real Estate.
F.L. Sims owned the building in1952 when the first floor tenants included Campora Gas & Appliance, Other businesses included a Farmer's Insurance
Group office and Island Style Barbecue and Cuisine. Left photo posted by Terry Gust. Second from left by Roy Perez. Now a Facade for
the RTD. Upstairs was the Weber Dance Hall, Former Sciots Hall
425-433 E. Weber - Douglass-Wilhoit Building - Constructed in 1910 by Roley Early Wilhoit, a prominent early citizen of Stockton. In 1925, the
John Breuner Company. By 1930, the Stockton City Directory listed the Kendall-Tredway Stationary company and L J. Kltt & Company as tenants. By 1940
and through 1950; the Acme Furniture Company was located here. By 1945, Matty's Liquors, owned by Fred Matteoni, had opened in this building.
Now a Facade for the RTD.
445-447 E. Weber Avenue - The Delta Building was opened in November of 1921 for the Piggly Wiggly organization as a grocery store. Majestic Meat
Market and B. Somers Delicatessen along with Piggly Wiggly (1928)
443 - Progressive Building (1940) /Labor Temple (1935)
445 - Eye-Comfort Glasses (1970s)The Corset Shop Shop (1950) /
Singer Sewing Machine Shop (1945) / Vacant (1935) /
447 Peniel Gospel Lighthouse (1970s) / Hansen Printers and Scott
Stationary (1950) / Hansen Carter Stationary (1935) - Right photo,
Gleason's Ice Cream
420-426 E. Weber Avenue - Cavanaugh Building - Built in 1895 - Demolished Aug 10, 2013 . Middle photo is the back of the building,
left photos is the vacant lot.. The building is noted as the Weber Avenue Garage on the 1917 map. By 1925, the Stockton City
Directories listed the occupants of this building as Guy Campbell's
Cigar Store, Cinderella Barber Shop, Classic Grill,· New Idea Shoe Shine
Parlor and W. J. Horan Furniture. Between 1930 and '35, these businesses
had changed to The Cigars Pastime (420), Cinderella Ball Room (422), R.
Restaurant (424), and Charles Soterelas Shoes (426). By 1940, 422 had
changed to Jimmie Toy Indy, and 424 to Remington-Rand Inc. By 1950, 422
had changed to R. S. Burgmaier Barber, 424 to the Stockton Scavengers
Association, and 426 to a Beauty Shop, W. S. Kendalls Sationary was
listed for the first time at 428.
420 E. Weber - Weber Avenue Garage (1917)
420 E. Weber - Pastime Tavern (1930) / Cigars Pastime (1935) / Pastime Liquors (1940)
422 E. Weber - R. S. Burgmaier Barber (1950) / Jimmie Toy Indy
(1940) / Andy's Barber Shop (1959)
422 1/2 E. Weber - Cinderella Ball Room / Melody Ball Room (1940s)
424 E. Weber - Zumstein Restaurant (1935) / Remington Rand (1940) / Stockton Scavengers Association (1950)
426 E. Weber - Charles Soterelas Shoes (1935) / Hazel's Salon of Beauty (1950) / Pools Salon of Beauty (1940s)
430 E. Weber - Horan's Furniture - Kendall Building - According to Stockton City Directories, W. J. Horan Furniture occupied this building in
1925 and through 1940. Horan's advertisements in local papers of the time featured illustrations of their building. By 1945, Kendall's Stationary
took over the building, and remained through the 1970s.
434-440 E. Weber - Reid Hotel /Bailey Hotel / Hotel Modern / Steve's Hotel - Appearing on the 1950 Sanborn map and is noted as a hotel and
restaurant. The first listing for this address in City Directories was in 1917, when it was the Reid Hotel. The Reid changed to the Bailey Hotel in
the late 1920s. By 1935, it was listed as the Hotel Modern, and by 1945 as Steve's Hotel. It was built as a mixed use building with commercial
spaces on the ground floor and rooms on second floor.
434 E. Weber -
City Market (1966)
436 E. Weber - Toy House
440 E. Weber - Steve's Hotel
E. Weber Ave - California Street Intersects
Click for California Street
Weber and California looking North. The tracks are streetcars tracks crossing Miner Slough. The Franklin House is at 501 E. Weber and the
San Joaquins Chemical Company fire house is at 509 E Weber. The building in the background is the Grand Central Hotel with a 505 E Channel St.
address. At the very left is William P. Miller Carriage Manufacturing
at 115-121 N. California St. The entire northern portion of
the block was demolished for the RTD.
509 E. Weber - Chemical Company - Built in 1869 for the use of the San Joaquins of the volunteer department. Equipped an exceptional pair of
speedy horses, this light piece of apparatus is enabled to arrive at a fire within a very few moments after the sounding of an alarm and it can
be safely estimated that more than ninety percent of the fires are extinguished by the chemical. Should a fire have reached great headway before
it's discovery, the use of a heavy steam or water is absolutely necessary, but whenever a blaze is found in it's incipiency, no matter combustible
may be it's fuel, the chemical is soon master of the situation and without the heavy loss always accompanying the use of water - Demolished
506 E. Weber - Beneficial Finance (1976)
512 E. Weber - Hobby Craft Shop (1976)
514 E. Weber - Weber Bakery & Deli
514 E. Weber Avenue - Weber Bakery & Deli
520-534 E. Weber - McKeegan Building
522- Red Cherry Bakery (1976) - Stockton City Directories show no listing for this building until 1926, when the Boy Scouts occupied 526 and the
Stone Store was at 530. By 1930, The Dreamland Hall (a dance hall) was at 520, the former Boy Scouts location was vacant, and New Woodall Furniture
had moved in to 528-32. By 1935, the Bascou Bakery was at 522, Sattie Electrical Appliances was at 524, and H. E. Jacobsen Fruit Stand at 526. W. D.
Prichard- Blacks Package took over the furniture store, having moved from their former location at 417-23 E. Weber. By 1940, the Dreamland had
become the Treanan Ballroom, the fruit stand was the De Bono Delicatessen, and 528 was converted to Blacks Grocery, and for a time,
The Y.M.C.A. The building is currently occupied by Eagle Furniture, Irma's Place Cafe, and a variety and gift shop.
520 - The Dreamland Hall (1930) / Treanan Ballroom (1940)
522 - Red Cherry Bakery (1976) / Bascou Bakery (1935) / Martha
Washington Grocery Stores (1923)
524 E. Weber - Irma's Place Mexican Restaurant / Leno's Place Restaurant / DeBono's
Fountain Restaurant / Former Sattie Electrical Appliances
526 - Stockton Scavangers (1976) / Lloyds Business Machines (1967) / Boy Scouts (1926) / H. E. Jacobsen Fruit Stand (1935) / De Bono
528-532 - Ace Furniture / Black's Grocery (1935 - Moved from 417-423 E.
Weber) / New Woodall Furniture Store (1930)
530 - Stone Store (1926)
542 E. Weber Avenue - Nefertari's Heavenly Scents / Former Art's Coffee Shop
522 E. Weber - Martha Washington Grocery Stores - By 1923 there were 56 Martha Washington Stores in California. The chain disappeared by 1928 -
The building still stands today
546-548 E. Weber - Weber Inn - Appearing on the 1895, 1917, and 1950 Stockton Sanborn Maps. By 1912, Stockton City Directories
listed 546 as the New American House. It remained listed as such through 1935. In 1930, 548 was listed separately
as the Weber Inn, and in 1935 as G. Woehrle Beer, and remained a liquor store through 1950. By 1940, 546 was
listed as the Tranquility Rooms, and in 1945 as the Leland Hotel. Betty's
Cocktail Lounge (1967)
547 E. Weber - Wagner Meat Company
555 E. Weber - San Joaquin Counsel of Governments
E. Weber Ave - American Street Intersects
Weber looking West from American St
1970s - Courtesy of Ron Chapman
607 E. Weber - Turner Hardware
607 E. Weber - Turner Hardware - Ron Chapman photo
607 E. Weber - Turner Hardware - Floyd Perry jr. photo
607 E. Weber - Turner Hardware - The corporation was formed Jan 5, 1907 and dissolved 106 years later - It seemed like Turner had everything, house wares, sporting
goods, hardware, tools. Turner also had a store in Tracy. I'm sure everyone knows Central Valley Hardware was run by the Turner Family - Today the Turner Hardware
Location is a big empty lot. Center photo, Ron Chapman and Floyd Perry Jr.
620 E. Weber - Now Part of Factory 2 U / Former Fuller Paints / Stockton Paint 1955
621 E. Weber - Dutchboy Paints - Demolished
625 E. Weber - Huber's Frozen Food Locker (1966) - Demolished<
630 E. Weber - Former Safeway - 1940-1955
641 E. Weber - Allan's Associated Service / Bob's Flying A
646 E. Weber - Parking Lot - Sign frame is still there
E. Weber Ave - Stanislaus Street Intersects
702-706 E. Weber Avenue - Photo courtesy of Cathy Wetzel
702-706 E. Weber Avenue - Photo courtesy of Ron Chapman
710-716 E. Weber Appearing on the 1950 Sanborn map. Built by Marion Deegan for his Deegan Furniture and Upholstery Company. By 1940, Stockton City
Directories listed the building as J. R. Steed Used Cars. By 1945, Henry Salmon took over the used car business. It was unlisted in 1950.
Photographs from the 1970s reveal it was the Stockton Foam and Fabric Center.
710- Derrick's Morwear Paint / Ludcke's Moreware Paint (1960)
712 - Weber Car Wash (1957)
726-732 E. Weber - Built in 1918, Frank and Martha Coburn were at this address - In the early 1930's the building was used for the F. M. Grissel Farm
Implement Co. In 1938 the building housed the Simard Printing Co. By 1925, Stockton Motors was located here. By 1930, Wolf Used Cars were here.
By 1935, F. M. Grissel Farm Implements was listed as the tenant. By 1940, Action Color, Simard Printing Company, and San Joaquin Printers were
all located at this address. The first two remained here through at least 1950. By 1945, the Stockton Lions Club was also listed in City
Directories at this address. Right photo from the 1948 yearbook.
726 - Simard Printing
729 E Weber - Mexico Tire Shop / Former Remington Auto Repair / Johnson Used Cars (1950)
742-748 E. Weber - This building, when constructed, was known as the Builders Building. The building was most likely designed by the
architectural firm of Davis, Heller and Pearce, who located their offices. on the building's second floor after construction. The architectural
firm is well-known for their work at the University of Pacific, also located in Stockton. By 1950, the Grand Lodge of Knights of Pythias were
officially listed here, at which point the building name was likely changed to the Pythian Building. Stockton City Directories list three
businesses in this building by 1935:
742 - Sattui Saddle Shop (1976) / Miller Hays Co. Sheet Metal Works
744 - Washburn Realty (1976) H. P. Fischer Tile and Marble
745 - LF Johnson Used Cars (1937)
748 - Western Farm Workers / C. J. Franke Electrical Supplies
By 1940, Fischer was no longer listed at this address. The other two
businesses remained through 1950. By 1945, the Boy Scouts of America
were listed at this address.
E. Weber Ave - Grant Street Intersects
802·808 E. Weber Avenue - 802 E. Weber was first listed on the 1895 and 1917 Stockton Sanborn Maps. The 1950 Sanborn directory shows what appears
to be an addition to the building at 808 E. Weber. The addition was faithful to the original building to such an extent that it appears to have
been part of the original. Stockton City Directories show no listing for this building until 1930, at which time it was noted as vacant. By 1935,
the Chong Sung Man Grocery was located here. By 1940 through 1945, Samuel Travaille Insurance was listed at this addres,
the City Directory lists Travaille's Real Estate. Atlas Glass (1957)
805 E. Weber Avenue at Grant - AFL Building 1940s / Montgomery Ward in 1931 - Right photo by Denny Ah Tye. Today it's a vacant lot
811 E. Weber - In 1926, the R. L. Berve Company was located here. It was listed as vacant in the late 1930s and early '40s, but by 1945, it
was listed as the International Hod Carriers Building & Common Laborers Local 73. In 1950, it was listed simply as a Union Recreation Center.
By 1960, C. M. Abdallah Co., a wholesale company, occupied the building. In the late 1970s, it was occupied by the Reyes Upholstery Shop. and then
by Jesse's Auto Service.
829 E. Weber - Stockton City Directories show no listing for this address until 1940 through 1950, when the R. M. Warren Wholesale Grocery was
located here. United Grocers (1966) Then it was Smith's Body Shop, part of a row of auto-related businesses.
832 E. Weber - Gil's Auto Sales
836 E. Weber - Built in 1894. The 1895 map recorded only one story on the house. The later two maps show a two-story residence, with an identical
footprint. By 1910 and through 1919, City Directories listed Guy O'Brian and Alice O'Neill at this address. By 1925 and through 1940, Mrs. G. C.
Schneider lived here. In 1945 and through at least 1950, Verda Peterson is listed in this house. It appears to still be used as a residence
843 E. Weber - Former Kiser Brothers Honda / BF. Goodrich Tires (1960) / Perry Hunter Used Cars (1950)
844-848 E. Weber - Stockton City Directories show H. W. Moore at 33 N. Aurora, a secondary address for this building, by 1911. In 1915 and through
1919, L. A Stout was listed there. By 1925, the building was listed as the
. In 1930, Wholesale Electrical was listed at 844 E.
Weber, but the storefront was vacant by 1935. By 1945 and through at least 1950, Patrick Valvano Restaurant Supply was at 848. By 1950, the building
had changed names and was now listed as the Spanes Apartments
. The building currently appears to be used exclusively as offices. A sign on the
ground floor identifies the MepCo company. The building also has a 33 N. Aurora Address
800 Block of East Weber looking West
E. Weber Ave - Aurora Street Intersects
SE corner of Weber and Aurora
910 E. Weber at Aurora - Napa Auto Truck Parts. Former Rolla-Torium with 24 N. Aurora Address
915 E. Weber
929 E. Weber
931 E. Weber - Dr. Pepper Bottling Company
936 E. Weber - Railway Express (1955)
948 E. Weber - Great Atlantic Pacific & Tea<
Weber - 900 Block Robert J. Cabral Station on East Channel Street as seen from E. Weber Avenue - Former Southern Pacific Depot<
Weber Avenue Improvement project.
Weber & Union looking NW
John Brown Burial Site - 1100 E. Weber
- at North Union Street. John Brown, Stockton resident from 1851 to 1859, is notable for his
four-day ride from Los Angeles to San Francisco to warn Commodore Stockton of the attack on Los Angeles. As a result of his actions,
troops were sent to secure the city, and Brown - nicknamed Juan Flaco - became known as the 'Paul Revere of California.' He is buried in the
former Citizen's Cemetery near this site, which is #513 on the Office of Historic Preservation's California Historical Landmark list.
1120 E. Weber - former FC Powell Tractor Company (1950)
1128 E. Weber - Auto Industrial Paint Company
1130 E. Weber - GF Schuler Plumber (1950) - Demolished
1121 E Weber & Pilgrim - Junior Trade School / Jefferson School / High School Annex - Two separate sites and two different schools have
carried the Jefferson School name. The first one opened in 1871 on the corner of Pilgrim and Weber Ave. In 1915 it was renovated and reopened as
the "prevocational School" it had served as the district's vocational school for secondary grad pupils. It was renamed the Junior Trade
School in 1933 and became the High School annex in 1948. Demolished in 1974 and replaced by the "Golden Valley High School" in 1976
1141 E. Weber - Jane Frederick High School - Named for Jane L. Frederick, who died June 10, 2012 at the age of 93. She graduated from Arizona Teachers'
College (now ASU) in 1940. During World War II she taught elementary students at a Japanese internment camp in Arizona. She started teaching for
SUSD in 1947 when Garfield School opened
1200 E. Weber - Stockton Trailer Vans Rentals (1976) / Mohawk Service and Garage (1957) / HF. Meyer Gas Station (1950) / 1943 - Robinson Gas
Station / 1937 - E.B. Cole Gas Station / Union Oil Station (1928)
1227 E. Weber - EE Stull Grocery (1950)
1305 E. Weber & Airport Way - The Salvation Army
Weber Market - 1346 East Weber Avenue
1404 E. Weber - Dormer Sheldon\'s A&W Root Beer
1405 E. Weber - Western Radiator Service
Weber and 35 N. Wilson Way - Payless Auto Sales / Former Cooper's Donuts / New York Donuts
E. Weber Ave - Wilson Way Intersects
Click for Wilson Way
Weber & A street - Richmond Chase Cannery (1950)
Weber & E street - KWG (1230 AM) is an AM radio station in Stockton, California. KWG is one of the oldest broadcasting stations in USA, signing on November 22, 1921. Read more about
KWG (1230 AM)
It is considered the first commercially licensed radio station west of the Mississippi River although not the first radio station to be founded on the West Coast.
One of the more notable owners of KWG was Barnes Enterprises, led by Johnny Jacobs, the off-screen announcer for Chuck Barris Productions' various game shows for many years. Barnes Enterprises owned KWG between 1978 and early 1981.
In February 1981, Best Radio Incorporated of San Bernardino purchased KWG, along with then-KSRT 100.9 mHz (now KMIX), licensed to Tracy, California. KWG then began
its "Delta Country" format. While KWG had a myriad of formats over the years, on June 21, 1982, after nearly 18 months of country music, KWG became an "oldies"
station, and was very successful well into the 1990s.
Until 1988, KWG used a T-antenna type transmitting antenna mounted on two 60-meter tall wooden poles, making KWG one of the last broadcast stations to use this type
of antenna. The KWG transmitter has been located at Weber and E Streets in Stockton for many years.
In the 2000s, newest owner IHR Educational Broadcasting has replicated its inspirational "Catholic Talk Radio" programming on KWG. IHR Educational Broadcasting
purchased KWG from The (Susan) Carson Group Inc. on October 18, 1999, reportedly for $300,000.
West Weber Avenue from 00 Center Street
Looking West at Levee St (Weber Avenue) - 1862
Chanel Head - 1925
Looking West at Weber Avenue from Center St - 2014
W. Weber - Stuart Eberhart Parking Garage - Weber Avenue between Center and El Dorado
W. Weber Ave - Commerce Street Intersects
100 block of W. Weber Avenue
101 W. Weber - Floyd Brooks
124 W. Weber Avenue - Harbor Skateway, 1976 / Hazlet Warehouse, 1960
302 W. Weber - Captain Charles M. Weber Institute of Applied Sciences and Technology - Former Woodruff Occupational Center.
F.B. Young Grain Dealers, 1967. Castles Truck Service. 1949
400 Block West Weber Avenue - Crown Flour Mills / Sperry Flour Mills - Bottom photos - Stockton fire History - Bottom right, KKK Parade, 1919
One of the most spectacular fires ever seen in the city was that which destroyed the City Flouring Mills of Sperry & Company on Sunday afternoon,
April 2, 1882.” The tall burning structure along the south shore of the Channel on Levee (Weber) and Beaver (Madison) Streets was right next to a
grain storage facility which is referred to as the Waterfront Warehouse today.
The brick Sperry Flour Mill was built in 1852 and was an important part of Stockton’s earliest and most significant industry. The company grew into
a company with seventeen mills across three states and becoming one of the nation’s most famous milling companies. Initially, the mill’s wheat supply
was imported from Napa and Martinez, but by 1856 wheat became the San Joaquin Valley’s main crop.
The Sperry Flour Mill found itself in the center of one of the largest grain growing regions in the nation. The company expanded in 1860 and became
famous for its flour labels, such as “Drifted Snow Flour.” The waterfront location allowed Sperry to ship flour throughout the country and the world.
Source: History of the Stockton Fire Department, 1850-1908 by the Firemen’s Pension and Relief Fund (1908)
W. Weber Ave - Van Buren Street Intersects
402 W. Weber Ave. - Children's Museum - Excerpt from the History of the Children's Museum. "Inspiration for The Museum came as a result of the
tragic 1989 Cleveland School shootings. While at play, 5 children were killed and 30 others were wounded — including a teacher — by a gunman
firing an assault weapon. That wounded teacher was Janet Geng, Founding Director of The Children's Museum of Stockton. While on a trip to Washington
D.C., Geng visited a children's museum. There, joined by children and families, she discovered a safe — violence free — place for learning and
play. Beginning her process of both physical and spiritual healing, Geng became inspired. She knew Stockton deserved such a place."
445 W. Weber Ave - Sperry Union Mill Warehouse - The oldest surviving structure on the Port of Stockton main channel.
445 W. Weber Avenue - Sperry Union Mill Warehouse
Built In the 1870s Now occupied by restaurants and offices, it features exposed interior wood beams and a picturesque amphitheater.
Through 1897 This building is from an era when Stockton was a major milling and international shipping center for grain. Built in stages,
it was first occupied by the Granger co-operative union as one of its Eureka Warehouses. The present size was reached after three expansions
by the Sperry Flour Company to serve the adjacent flour mill. It is listed in the National Register of Historic Places # 1979000541
The two story Waterfront Warehouse is the oldest intact building on the Stockton Channel. It was Built during 1875 to accommodate the
abundance of wheat being produced locally. Originally it was named The Sperry Flour Mill Warehouse. The warehouse was a part of what was the
largest flour mill ever built in the Sacramento and San Joaquin Valley. Sperry Mills had been founded in Stockton in 1852, by Austin Sperry
and a man named Lyons. Flour had been hard to come by so at that time it was imported from Chile. Unfortunately Chile flour was eventually
outlawed due to a weevil infestation. The first wheat used for flour making in Stockton was imported from Napa and Martinez. There was also
about a hundred acres of wheat raised in the Woodbridge area.
In 1856 local millers were able to use San Joaquin wheat, which produced a better quality of flour. Local wheat was in abundance because
miners found it more profitable to grow crops than to mine for gold. In the 1860’s San Joaquin wheat was discovered to produce outstanding
flour. The flour became nationally famous for baking and was known as “Drifted Snow” flour.
In 1890 the largest of all Sperry’s flour mills was built on the east side of the Waterfront Warehouse. The mill was directly accessed by a
walkway to the second floor of the warehouse, with the first floor used for grain storage. Eventually Stockton became the center of grain
trade, because of its river access. Sperry Mills was purchased in 1929 by General Mills, due in part to their famous “Drifted Snow” flour.
Today the Waterfront Warehouse stands as a reminder of the days when the Stockton Channel was a bustling venue of commerce. The renovated
building houses a mix of business offices and popular eateries. The new Marina, allows improved boating access to the beautiful Waterfront
Warehouse. With its historic architecture, and great views of the north shore, the Waterfront Warehouse is playing a big part in the renaissance of downtown
W. Weber Ave - Lincoln Street Intersects
Stockton Ice Rink - W. Weber & Lincoln
501 W. Weber Avenue - Waterfront Office Towers
631 W. Weber - Baglietto Seeds
701 W. Weber - Ralston Purina Grain Elevator (1966) / Taylor Milling Company Warehouse Fire, June 1935 - Damages estimated in excess of $400,000 was done when flames destroyed the TAYLOR Milling Company plant at Stockton.
Portions of the walls fell during the height of the blaze, injuring one fireman by falling bricks.
The plant was declared a total loss
1201 W. Weber - Western Pacific Railroad
1320 W. Weber - Stockton Cold Storage / Former Union Ice & Cold Storage
Suggested Books Related to Stockton
Links to third party sites