Weber Avenue Then and Now - Page 1


 

Disclaimer! Informational page only, My Real Estate Practice is limited to Single Family Residential Real Estate .

Weber Avenue is one of the oldest Stockton streets. Supply merchants and seekers of gold disembarked from riverboats and other sailing vessels along west Weber Avenue, once called the “Levee.” Many climbed  aboard stagecoaches, freight wagons and on horses, bound to look for fortunes in the Sierra foothills. This wide street beginning at the waterfront was one of four avenues mapped to run east and west in a 1849 street survey of Stockton completed by Major P. Hammond. The street, named after the city’s founder, was the major thoroughfare of the early Stockton business district.

During the next few decades, the commerce of the city shifted from serving miners to farmers. As the city grew and prospered into a manufacturing and transportation center for the surrounding agricultural community, Weber Avenue kept its importance due to its proximity to the waterfront. Countless farmers used this road to carry their crops to the waterfront for shipping, along with picking up supplies from the businesses along the avenue. The construction of railroad tracks on Weber Avenue and a depot on the south bank of the waterfront  in 1871, further served to enhance freight and public transportation.

Numerous buildings along Weber Avenue continue to stand as remembrances of Stockton’s significant commercial development. On the west end, the Sperry Flour Mill office and warehouse once served one of the largest flourmill companies in California. Traveling east from the mill, is the striking and magnificent Hotel Stockton. Completed in 1910, the elegant tourist hotel brought a certain distinction to the street. Although heavily remodeled, the adjoining block includes some of the oldest buildings on Weber. The Mansion House and the Tretheway Building were constructed in the late 1800’s. Moving further east, just about every building shows some evidence of the city’s interesting and extraordinary past.

Today, Weber Avenue is one of Stockton's most historical and important streets as it connects downtown with the waterfront.

00 Block of East Weber Avenue - Center
Click for Center Street
Display YouTube Movie
YouTube Weber Avenue
Click to enlarge 0 Block of  Weber looking east from Center with the old wooden parking lot - 1972
2 E. Weber - Russ House Liquors - Demolished
6 E. Weber - Pynchon General Merchandise - Demolished
10 E. Weber - Waterfront Hotel - Demolished
12 E. Weber - RL Cornow Sporting Goods - Demolished
14 E. Weber - Igloo Frozen Foods - Demolished
16 E. Weber - 1/2 Riverside Hotel - Demolished
Click to enlarge Click to enlarge Click to enlarge Click to enlarge

22 E. Weber - Stewart Eberhardt Parking Garage

41 E. Weber - Colberg Transportation Company - Pope & Talbot Steamship Division - Demolished
100 Block of East Weber Avenue
Click to enlarge Click to enlarge Weber & El Dorado
Click to enlarge Weber & El Dorado - Farmers Market - 1890s - Showing the head of the channel. In the background is the second county courthouse and the Yosemite Building
Click to enlarge Weber looking East from El Dorado
Click to enlarge Weber Avenue and El Dorado Street- 1886
Click to enlarge Weber Avenue at El Dorado - 1880s - Preparing for the construction of Hotel Stockton
Click to enlarge Weber and Hunter Square buildings with train, 1895 - Photo taken from the top of the courthouse
Enlarge 1901 photo, courtesy Jeff and Liz Willis. It appears to be the 100 block of E Weber, by virtue of the sign in the background for Madden's restaurant. Madden's appears in the city directories as early as 1891 at 196 East, and as late as 1925 at 112 E Weber. Apparently around 1901 or so, they moved to the 108-118 address.
Enlarge Enlarge South side of the street
110 E. Weber - Bank of America
108 E. Weber - Hotel Harvard (1957) - Demolished
112 E. Weber - Mead's Coffer Shop - Demolished
118 E. Weber - Ritz Rooms (1950) - Demolished
120 E. Weber -Joe's Tavern (1959) - Demolished
126 E. Weber - Harvard Book Store (1943) - Demolished
Enlarge Enlarge 134 E. Weber - Former Day & Night Drug Store (1959) -
Enlarge North side of the street
105 E. Weber - Adrian's Hotel Stockton Beauty Shop
107 E. Weber - Abraham Greenberg, Dentist
121 E. Weber - Hotel Stockton Coffee Shop (1959)
125 E. Weber - Hotel Stockton Lounge
129 E. Weber - Webbs at The Stockton Restaurant (1966)
133 E. Weber - Stockton Hotel
137 E. Weber - Hotel Stockton Barbershop (1966) / Walston Stocks
145 E. Weber - Davenport Arms / Day & Night Drug Store (1950) - Enlarge 141 E. Weber - Ward Tyler's Sport Shop / Nell Fitzgerald, Women's Clothes - Enlarge  141 E. Weber - Ward Tyler's Sport Shop / Nell Fitzgerald, Women's Clothes - Enlarge 141 E. Weber - Ward Tyler's Sport Shop / Nell Fitzgerald, Women's Clothes - Left photo From the Kevin Shawver Collection
145 E. Weber - Davenport Arms / Day & Night Drug Store (1950)
Enlarge Enlarge Enlarge Enlarge Hotel Stockton
149 E. Weber - Hotel Stockton - Constructed in 1910,  a prime example of mission revival architecture  Construction cost of $500,000 was financed by the Hotel Stockton company. The 200 room hotel was once the city’s finest hostelry. Read More on the Hotel Stockton Page
200 Block of E. Weber Ave - Hunter Street Intersects
Enlarge Hunter Square - 1930s
Enlarge Enlarge Enlarge200 Block of East Weber looking East
Enlarge Enlarge Enlarge 201 E. Weber - Casa Flores / Former Lamberts / Kappy's Coffee Shop / Strawberry Lane Coffee Shop (1959)
207 E. Weber - Bud Benhey, Jewelers / Arthur Glick, Jewelers
209 E. Weber - Windsor Hotel (1943)
Enlarge 211 E. Weber - Bob Belz, Lawyer / Chisamor's Mens Clothing
215 E. Weber - O'brien Rubber Stamps (1943)
Enlarge Enlarge 219 E. Weber - Ulmer Photo / Former Easter's Fashion Botique / Mercantile Acceptance Auto Loans / Siever's Billiards (1943)
221 E. Weber - G.C. Kyle, Barber (1943)
Enlarge 223 E. Weber - Former Tidewater Art Gallery / Logan Camera Shop (1966) / W.E. Browning, Furniture
Enlarge 225 E. Weber - Ray's Market / Former Brau House (1966) / Billye's Women's Clothing / D.S. Levinson Women's Clothes
227 E. Weber - Castillo Bail bond Agency / Peirano Brothers Real Estate / County Department of Elections (1943)
222 E. Weber - San Joaquin County Courthouse
Enlarge Enlarge Enlarge

First San Joaquin County Courthouse
Read more about the First Courthouse


 
Enlarge Enlarge Enlarge Enlarge Enlarge Enlarge

222 E. Weber Avenue - Second San Joaquin County Courthouse STOCKTON CA


Read more about the Second Courthouse

222 E. Weber - Second San Joaquin County Court House

ALL THE KING'S MEN (1949) was filmed in Stockton and the courthouse. I recommend everyone to watch it. This beautiful courthouse was torn down in 1961 and replaced by a ugly nondescript block building. Right photo by Dan Tunnell

 
Enlarge Enlarge Enlarge Enlarge Enlarge Enlarge Enlarge Enlarge Enlarge Enlarge

222 E. Weber - Third San Joaquin County Court House

Read more about the Third Courthouse

222 E. Weber - Third San Joaquin County Court House

222 E. Weber Avenue - Third San Joaquin County Courthouse - This site was donated to the city by Charles Weber, although his preferred location was the old Franklin school, bounded by Commerce streets, Washington, Center and Lafayette. However the Hunter Square location was more centrally situated, and also was the biggest un-built location within the city, Subsequently Weber donated the land, on a condition that the plans would include a central plaza. The slough situated on the Western part of this block was filled in to create Hunter Square, and subsequently construction began on the first courthouse in 1853 and was dedicated in 1854. The county courthouse continues to be located on the site. Added to the Stockton city register with resolution number 30,102, November 20, 1972

Enlarge Enlarge Enlarge Enlarge

222 E. Weber - Third San Joaquin County Court House

Read more about the Fourth Courthouse

222 E. Weber - Fourth San Joaquin County Court House

New San Joaquin County Courthouse - The old courthouse building is staying. This new 13 story building will be constructed on the south part of Hunter Square. There will be a large entry plaza in front off of Weber. The old courthouse will be refurbished with the south courtroom remaining and the Weber entrance to become administration. Footprint of the new courthouse. Notice Main Street will return to intersect with El Dorado St. I had to look up Sally Port. The primary modern meaning for sally port is a secure, controlled entryway, as of a fortification or a prison. The entrance is usually protected by some means, such as with a fixed wall blocking the door which must be circumvented before entering, but which prevents direct enemy fire from a distance. It may include the use of two doors such as with an airlock.

Click forHunter Square
Enlarge Enlarge 223 East Weber Avenue - Former Hammond and Yardley Groceries - The building was part of the Hammond and Yardley Grocery Store, once two stories tall. The 1895 and 1917 Stockton Sanborn Maps reveal that there was once a two-story building on this site, but by the time the 1950 map was drawn, a one-story building was present. The Stockton City Directory listed the building as the Pleasanton House by 1912 and through 1925. By 1930, the building was listed as the Skaggs Safeway Stores and the Bradford Hotel. By 1940, it had been converted into F. L. Williams. Real Estate and State Building and Loan, and in 1945, the Stockton Realty Board, State Savings & Loan Association and Williams Real. Estate were all located here. In the 1960s, the facade and interior were altered to accommodate a thrift shop. Photographs reveal a metal or wood panel placed over the upper portion of the facade, and a large display window in each of the two narrow bays. The screen has since been removed, and the facade remodeled to an Art Deco style. The Tidewater Art gallery was located here for 10 years prior to closing in 2012.
Enlarge 225 E. Weber - Ray's Market / Former Billye's Women's Clothing / D.S. Levinson Women's Clothes / Chamber of Commerce Building - California Seed and Hardware (1940)
Windsor Hotel - 209 E. Weber  - Click to Enlarge Mansion House - Click to Enlarge Mansion House - Click to Enlarge Mansion House - Click to Enlarge Mansion House - Click to Enlarge Mansion House - Click to Enlarge Mansion House - Click to Enlarge Mansion House - Click to Enlarge

Weber & 106 N. Hunter St. - Originally The Mansion House, this building was constructed in 1873. Read More

Originally The Mansion House

The Mansion House was well known in early Stockton, both architecturally and within the business community. Located directly across the street from the county courthouse and one block east of the Channel, the building held a central location in the city. Before major alterations, the building was a strong example of ltalianate style-commercial building.

It had a comer bay, an ornamented bell cap with cresting, a roof balustrade, and ornamental hoods over the windows. In 1947 the building was extensively altered and expanded to its present configuration. This new facade covers two distinct buildings, as the owners bought the building to the east and incorporated the two into one. This remodel irreversibly impaired the historic integrity of this building. The Mansion House has been significantly altered and does not individually meet the criteria of the· National pr California Registers. / Windsor Apartments - Upper left photo 1930
Enlarge Enlarge Enlarge Enlarge
229 E. Weber - Tretheway Block - Originally constructed as the Argonaut Hotel, with a hardware store at street level, this Queen Anne style structure includes Romanesque and Moorish elements of cast zinc floral patterns and sandstone. When constructed, the building had a taller false front parapet, which fell during the San Francisco earthquake in 1906; when the false front was reconstructed, it assumed a lower profile. Read More

229 E. Weber - Tretheway Block

The building is #82000987 on the National Register of Historic Places, and was added in 1982 as the Tretheway Block. The structure was added to the city register by resolution number 38,554 on September 8, 1981. Today the building is referred to as the Mansion House

Mr. John Trethway, who was a wealthy farmer, had this three-story brick building constructed in 1897. The architectural style is similar to the work of architect Frank Furness, who was an important Philadelphia architect at the time. The building Is unique in Stockton and while it has been altered, retains a great deal of integrity. ·This building is a City of Stockton Landmark and was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1982. Stockton City Directories listed it simply as the Trethway Building through 1919, and did not specify tenants. By 1925, and through at least 1950, it was listed as the Hotel Argonaut. It now contains several offices and ground floor shops
Enlarge Enlarge229 E. Weber - left photo, Notary - Right photo, upstairs landing
Enlarge 231 E. Weber - Nick's Deli Express / Former Fireside Thrift / Stone Brothers Real Estate
Enlarge Enlarge Enlarge 223-235 E. Weber - Nomilini, Grilli & McDaniel / Former State Savings and Loan / Arlington Hotel (1891) - 223 and 235 East Weber Avenue - Hammond and Yardley Groceries - The building was part of the Hammond and Yardley Grocery Store, once two stories tall. The 1895 and 1917 Stockton Sanborn Maps reveal that there was once a two-story building on this site, but by the time the 1950 map was drawn, a one-story building was present. The Stockton City Directory listed the building as the Pleasanton House by 1912 and through 1925. By 1930, the building was listed as the Skaggs Safeway Stores and the Bradford Hotel. By 1940, it had been converted into F. L. Williams. Real Estate and State Building and Loan, and in 1945, the Stockton Realty Board, State Savings & Loan Association and Williams Real. Estate were all located here. In the 1960s, the facade and interior were altered to accommodate a thrift shop. Photographs reveal a metal or wood panel placed over the upper portion of the facade, and a large display window in each of the two narrow bays. The screen has since been removed, and the facade remodeled to an Art Deco style. Right Photo by Terry Gust
Enlarge 235 E. Weber - (see photo above) Also part of the part of the Hammond and Yardley Grocery Store - This brick-faced building was once part of the Hammond and Yardly grocery store, a two story ltalianate structure that was well-known to the early residents of Stockton. Over the years, the building has been significantly modified, and the original facade completely reconstructed. The 1895 and 1917 Sanborn maps show a two-story building on this site. The 1950 Sanborn shows a one-story building with an identical footprint. The 1917 Sanborn map notes this building as a Tamale Factory and restaurant. There is no listing for this address in City Directories until1930, at which time it was the San Joaquin County Registration Office. By 1935, it was listed as vacant, but by 1940, the building was occupied by the offices of Davenport Development, Inc., F. J. Dietrich & Co. Real Estate, Stockton Properties, and the Stockton Terminal and Eastern Railroad, and remained as. such through at least 1950.
Aetna Insurance Co (1959)
Enlarge Enlarge Enlarge 243 E. Weber, Zeiter Eye / Former Nelson's Imports / New San Joaquin Hotel - The building in the center of the photo. The structure on the right is the Belding Building.
245 E. Weber - Covello's Barber Shop / Art Basso Real Estate
247 E. Weber - Christian Science Reading Room / Drew's Liquors (1950) / Plaza Cafe Liquors (1943)
Enlarge Weber between Hunter and San Joaquin across from the Courthouse
Enlarge 275 E. Weber - Eagle Hotel- Stockton buildings, late 19th century
Enlarge Enlarge 245 Weber & San Joaquin - NW Corner - San Joaquin Hotel -1850-1891
Enlarge Weber and Hunter looking East
300 Block of E. Weber Ave - San Joaquin Street Intersects
Click for San Joaquin Street
Weber and San Joaquin looking West - Click to Enlarge Weber and San Joaquin looking East - Click to Enlarge Weber and San Joaquin looking East - Click to Enlarge Weber and San Joaquin looking SW - Click to Enlarge Weber and San Joaquin looking East - Click to Enlarge Weber and San Joaquin - Click to Enlarge Weber and San Joaquin Belding Building 1917 - Click to Enlarge Weber and San Joaquin Belding Building  - Click to Enlarge Weber and San Joaquin Belding Building  - Click to Enlarge Weber and San Joaquin Belding Building  - Click to Enlarge

Weber and 102 North San Joaquin - Belding Building - The Belding Building was designed for medical and dental offices. In more recent years, the building has been occupied by several different law firms. he building is named after a Stockton businessman by the name of Charles Belding, who owned and operated a soda water bottling plant on the property before the present building was constructed. The building appears on the 1917 and 1950 Sanborn maps as the Belding Building, with addresses at 301 E. Weber and 110 N. San Joaquin. The first listing of the Belding Building in Stockton City Directories, however, was in 1935, though Avenue Drug Co. had been listed at 301 E. Weber since 1930. By 1940, Avenue Drug had changed to Hansen & Zinck Druggists. and by 1950 changed again to L. W. Harris Drugs. and then Dial Finance. The Belding Building had a variety of office tenants throughout this period.

Enlarge Enlarge Enlarge Weber Avenue and San Joaquin Streets - Southeast corner - Lauxen & Catts building Est. 1888.... Furniture, Carpets, Draperies, Upholstery And Similar Household Goods. Later The building housed Bravo & McKeegan
Weber and Sutter looking East - Click to Enlarge Weber and Sutter looking East - Click to Enlarge Enlarge Enlarge Enlarge Enlarge Enlarge Enlarge Enlarge Enlarge
302-304 East Weber Former Cheadle Building (Lauxen & Catts Furniture Store / Bravo Mckegan / County Treasurer) - The building appears on the 1917 and 1950 Sanborn maps as the Lauxen & Catts Furniture store. It is not listed in Stockton City Directories on either East Weber or San Joaquin Streets. ··Library records contain photographs of the building In the 1970s, when the windows on the upper tour floors were covered with what appears to be a corrugated metal architectural screen. A large sign on the building announced it as the Bravo and McKeegan Department Store. It has since been demolished and is now the offices of the County Treasurer.
Enlarge 311-319 East Weber - Branch Building - Joe's Mexico City - Appearing on the 1917 and 1950 Sanborn maps. It is not listed in Stockton City Directories, however, until 1926. Between 1926 and 1928 it was occupied by T & J Tailors. By 1929, the store was vacant. By 1935, it was again occupied, this time by the O'Conner Drapery Shoppe. In the 1940 City Directory, the address is listed as 315 E. Weber, and named the "Branch Building," home of the Italian Athletic Club. The upstairs appears to be used for residential purposes.
307 E. Weber - Martin Travel Agency
311 E. Weber - Dean Whittier & Company
315 E. Weber - Radio Building Apartments
319 E. Weber - George E. Crane Company
312-320 E. Weber - Liberty Shoe Shine - Appliance Store - Appearing on the 1917 and 1950 Sanborn maps. The 1917 Sanborn notes the building as containing a "carpet sewing and window shade mfg." and "furniture warehouse» on the second and third floors, and shops on the first. According to City Directories, by 1930, Liberty Shoe Shine, Soundfoot Shoe Store/Liberty Shoe Shine Parlor, and Co. Stationery and Art Goods were all located here. By 1935, a sporting goods store, shoe shine, and electrical appliances store were listed. The sporting goods store, "Your Sport Shop" remained here through 1950, and the shoe shine shop through 1945. By 1940, ·the appliance store was replaced with the NY Coney Island Restaurant, which remained here through 1950. 318 - Central Valley National Bank (1966)
315 E. Weber - Radio Building Apartments
Enlarge Enlarge Enlarge Enlarge 317-319 E. Weber - Stockton Paint / Sims & Grupe - Built in 1918 - There were no listings in the Stockton City Directories for this address until 1929, at which point it was occupied by the Stockton Paint Company. Stockton Paint remained through 1940. By 1945, the occupant was listed as W. P. Fuller & Co. Paints. by 1950, G. E. Crane Company Loans, and Sims & Grupe Real Estate all had offices here. A sign painted on the building identifies it as the Weber Avenue Emporium. Stockton Paint 319 - 1952
320 E. Weber - New York Coney Island Restaurant - Demolished
Enlarge 321-323 E. Weber - Levinson Furniture / Acme Furniture - This building was designed and built in 1925 by Leon Levinson. The terra cotta tiles were especially designed for the building. By 1930, Stockton City Directories list the occupant as the Levinson Furniture Company, which it remained through at least 1950. Photographs from the 1970s reveal that the business had changed to the Acme Furniture Company. The three floors are currently occupied by Del Pueblo Furniture. 
322 E. Weber - Associated Credit Bureaus - Credit Bureau of Stockton
Enlarge The entire 300 block on the south side of the street was demolished to build the San Joaquin Records Building. (Photo by Floyd Perry Jr.) Reading from right to left
302-304 East Weber- Lauxen & Catts Furniture Store / Bravo Mckegan / County Treasurer - In 1917 it was the Lauxen & Catts Furniture store. Library records contain photographs of the building In the 1970s, when the windows on the upper tour floors were covered with what appears to be a corrugated metal architectural screen. A large sign on the building announced it as the Bravo and McKeegan Department Store. 

Enlarge 330 East Weber In 1917, the building was a Furniture Warehouse, and the. 1950 map notes the presence of a dance hall. In 1930, it was occupied by the Stockton Photo Engraving Company, Charlie's Popular Restaurant, Bright Spot Ells Co., a barber,. Food Palace, and Johnson's Sporting Goods. By 1935, Charlie's Restaurant was vacant, and N. P. Can/is Restaurant had replaced the Food Palace. By 1940, businesses included J. A. Ka/green Cigars, the New Grande Dance Hall, C. V. Mori Liquors, a barber, Rosemund's Coffee, and an office equipment dealer. The 1945 City Directory lists the Palomar Ball Room, the liquor store, Purdy Coffee Shop and Art Gift Shop. Remnants of the painted sign from the Palomar Bar Room were still visible on the facade. At 330  E. Weber was Quinns Stationary Store

Other businesses in this block were 334 E. Weber- Standard Office Equipment, 340 E. Weber - Morris Plan, 342 1/2 E. Weber - Majestic Shoe Repair, 344 E. Weber - Belinda's Cafe and 346 E. Weber - Fox Photo

326-330 E. Weber - The 1917 map designates the building as a Furniture Warehouse, and the. 1950 map notes the presence of a dance hall. In 1930, it was occupied by the Stockton Photo Engraving Company, Charlie's Popular Restaurant, Bright Spot Ells Co., a barber,. Food Palace, and Johnson's Sporting Goods. By 1935, Charlie's Restaurant was vacant, and N. P. Can/is Restaurant had replaced the Food Palace. By 1940, businesses included J. A. Ka/green Cigars, the New Grande Dance Hall, C. V. Mori Liquors, the barber, Rosemund's Coffee, and an office equipment dealer. The 1945 City Directory lists the Palomar Ball Room, the liquor store, Purdy Coffee Shop and Art Gift Shop. Remnants of the painted sign from the Palomar Bar Room are still visible on the facade. The building is currently vacant, and in poor condition, the bright letters OMAR and DANCING the only remnants of a more prosperous era.
330 - Quinns
Weber at 115 N. Sutter </b>- Sutter Building / Former Stockton College of Commerce (J.R. Humphreys) - Click to Enlarge Weber at 115 N. Sutter </b>- Sutter Building / Former Stockton College of Commerce (J.R. Humphreys) - Click to Enlarge Weber at 115 N. Sutter </b>- Sutter Building / Former Stockton College of Commerce (J.R. Humphreys) - The building still stands today with ugly aluminum siding and is called The Metro.- Click to Enlarge 335 E. Weber - Former Novelty Theatre - The Novelty was located at 335 E. Weber. the present site of Newberry's. The Novelty offered half a dozen second rate vaudeville acts and two motion pictures, usually a one reel comedy or a news reel. - Click to Enlarge 335 East Weber Avenue - California Seed Company - Former J.J. Newberry - The first floor was once occupied by a seed company - Click to Enlarge 331 E. Weber - Click to Enlarge 331 E. Weber - Click to Enlarge 337 E Weber - Newberry Sign - Click to Enlarge 331-337 East Weber - Click to Enlarge 331-337 East Weber - Click to Enlarge 335 East Weber Avenue - Former J.J. Newberry - second floor interior - Click to Enlarge 335 East Weber Avenue - Former J.J. Newberry - Night sign - Click to Enlarge
331-337 E. Weber Former J.J. Newberry - The first floor was once occupied by a seed company. During World War II the second floor was used as a U.S.O. bar and dance hall. City Directories list this address as "vacant" between 1935 and 1940. By 1945, it was listed as the Commissioned Officers Club. By 1950, the J. J. Newberry Company had opened their store here, indicating confidence in downtown Stockton as a viable commercial center. Next to bottom right photo showing windows exposed. Bottom right Night photo with neon sign.
334 E. Weber - Standard Office Equipment
340 E. Weber - Morris Plan
342 1/2  E. Weber - Majestic Shoe Repair
344  E. Weber - Belinda's Cafe
346  E. Weber - Fox Photo
347  E. Weber - Dok Shoons (1976)
400 Block of E. Weber Ave - Sutter Street Intersects
Click for Weber Avenue - Page 2
Click for Sutter Street

See also

Suggested Books Related to Stockton

Links to third party sites

External links