Stockton in Vintage Photos - Nine


 

Disclaimer! Informational page only, I do not sell, lease or manage Commercial Real Estate.

San Joaquin - Washington Streets

Over the last ten years, Stockton has attempted to address the issues affecting disinvestment downtown and wrestled with finding solutions. Many studies have been commissioned to analyze the market and develop strategies to revitalize downtown, and some gains have been made. Most recently the Downtown Alliance, a business improvement district scheduled to begin operation in January 1998 was established. However, with the California recession of the early 1990s and the complexity of the issues facing downtown, a workable strategy has not emerged to meet the scale of the challenge.

Nonetheless, it is clear that downtown Stockton offers much to build upon. Excellent highway access and visibility; the availability of vacant waterfront sites and large parcels to accommodate new development; and an impressive historic building stock, including the landmark Hotel Stockton, are just some of the physical assets the panel identified immediately. In addition, downtown Stockton has a concentration of government jobs, financial institutions, and public and private city leadership interested in the downtown.

North San Joaquin Street from 00 East Main Street
Click for Main Street
Click to Enlarge Click to Enlarge Click to Enlarge Click to Enlarge
20 N. San Joaquin - The Yosemite Theatre building looking out the East walk of the Courthouse. Located between Bank of Stockton and Bravo McKeegan on San Joaquin. I believe at one time it was also The First National Bank / The American Trust / Wells Fargo Location. The Yosemite Theatre opened either in 1892 or 1893. The Yosemite closed in 1919. Logan Camera Shop was also in the building
N San Joaquin St - Weber Avenue Intersects
Click for Weber Avenue
Click to Enlarge 102 N. San Joaquin - Belding Building - The Belding Building was designed for medical and dental offices. In more recent years, the building has been occupied by several different law firms. The building is named after a Stockton businessman by the name of Charles Belding, who owned and operated a soda water bottling plant on the property before the present building was constructed. The building appears on the 1917 and 1950 Sanborn maps as the Belding Building, with addresses at 301 E. Weber and 110 N. San Joaquin. The first listing of the Belding Building in Stockton City Directories, however, was in 1935, though Avenue Drug Co. had been listed at 301 E. Weber since 1930. By 1940, Avenue Drug had changed to Hansen & Zinck Druggists. and by 1950 changed again to L. W. Harris Drugs. The Belding Building had a variety of office tenants throughout this period.
Click to Enlarge 118 N. San Joaquin - 1914 Central Auto Co / Ford Dealer 1913 - Now a parking garage
Click to Enlarge 121 N. San Joaquin - L.M. Cutting Realtor - 1956 - demolished
Click to Enlarge Click to Enlarge Click to Enlarge
137 N. San Joaquin - Former YMCA - Later the location of Stockton Savings and Loan. and now a parking garage
N San Joaquin St - Channel Street Intersects
Click to Enlarge Click to Enlarge Click to Enlarge Click to Enlarge

Click to Enlarge Click to Enlarge

212 N. San Joaquin - Lower right photo - Diocese of Stockton / Former County Jail site. The old County Jail often called Cunningham’s Castle. Built in 1893 and torn down in 1961. well into the 20th century, until a Bay Area reporter was arrested and jailed there and wrote an expose called “The Shame of the Valley.” Then with typical Stockton preservationism, it was demolished. The reporter was Pierre Salinger, later President John F. Kennedy’s press secretary. - Upper left photo courtesy of Floyd Perry Jr. Upper right photo by George Besaw of the Western Card Company of Reedley, California. Card postmarked November 19, 1911

215 N. San Joaquin - Western School of Commerce - Photo second from right posted by Kevin Shawver
Click to Enlarge Click to Enlarge Click to Enlarge

201-215 N. San Joaquin - Law offices - This one story building is the remains of a three story boarding house. A 1904 fire destroyed the original structure on the site, the "Columbia House," and in 1906 the present structure was constructed as the three story Simon House. The upper floors were originally occupied by the tenants of the Hotel Simon, run by John Cooper (1915) and Fred Ewert (1930). First floor tenants included a telephone office at 213 N. San Joaquin and a Vulcanizing shop. In 1930, the Ross Collection Agency and the San Joaquin Valley Securities Company were the first floor tenants, but by 1950, the first floor was occupied by the State Employment Office.
207 - Simon Hotel
211 - Bill Kobus
215 - Curtis M. Robbins

Click to Enlarge 220-222 N, San Joaquin St - Former Emergency Hospital - Built in 1910, the opening of the Emergency Hospital was an important milestone in Stockton’s history. Before the hospital had its own facility, a receiving hospital was located in the cellar of the neighboring county jail building. Funding for the hospital came from Elizabeth and James L. Hough to the city and county of San Joaquin in memory of Henry Harper Hewlett, Elizabeth’s father. The hospital was an up to date facility designed in the Mission Revival style with male and female wards, an operating room, preparation room, sterilizing room, private, and dental rooms. By the late 1960s the hospital could no longer provide proper services and it was closed by the City in 1968 and converted into county offices. Added to Register Mar 30, 2004 #08-0478
N San Joaquin St - Miner Avenue Intersects
Click for Miner Avenue
Click to Enlarge Blake Residence - San Joaquin & Miner 1870
Click to Enlarge Central Methodist Church - 302 N. San Joaquin - Where The Bank of Stockton is today - Washington School - SE Corner of San Joaquin and Lindsay just behind the church. The Central Methodist Church was is located on the corner of Miner Avenue and San Joaquin Street, its spire was 172 feet in height, looming above the tallest ten-story building in the city. It was one of Stockton's finest buildings, an ornament to the city and for many years the only auditorium suitable for large assemblies.
N San Joaquin St - Lindsay Street Intersects
Click to Enlarge San Joaquin and Lindsay, SE Corner - Left photo, 1930s, right photo, 2013
Click to Enlarge Click to Enlarge 401 N. San Joaquin St - Federal Building - This building is typical of 1933 classical depression era architecture and is a product of the extensive federal construction programs of the 1930s. The lobby’s oil murals were a part of the “New Deal’s” art in public places. Aside from housing many federal agencies the building served as the sixth location of Stockton’s main post office. It is listed in the National Register of Historic Places. Built in 1932, this building first appears on the 1950 Stockton Sanborn. The main floor of the building was originally occupied by the Post Office, with offices for the Postal Inspector, Army and Navy recruiting, the War Department engineers, IRS, and several other government agencies on the second floor. There was a post office on the ground floor, as well as IRS, FDA, Veteran's Administration, and Coast Guard. Recruiting. The second floor houses Army and Marines recruiting, FBI; Immigration and Naturalization, the Small Business Administration, and a Civil Service exam room. The basement has consistently been used tor storage since the building opened. The Federal Building was designed by the firm of Bliss & Fairweather with James A. Wetmore and local architect Howard G. Bliss. The refinement of the proportions, details, and use of materials and the building's size distinguish the Stockton Federal Building as a regionally important example of its style. The Federal Building also represents Stockton's part in a federal. construction program of the late 1920s initiated by the Hoover administration, a forerunner to Roosevelt's Public Works Administration.  Located across from Fremont Park
Click to Enlarge 445 N. San Joaquin - African American Chamber of Commerce / Former Eichleberger-Hobin Company / First Stockton Title / Former Curnow Brothers Grocery Meats and Bakery - Kevin
Click to Enlarge 640 N. San Joaquin St - St. Agnes School and Convent - Built as a Catholic parochial school in 1914 the facility has been successively called the St. Agnes Academy, St. Agnes High School, and San Joaquin Middle School. The adjoining building constructed in 1920 served as a convent for the Dominican sisters. Neoclassic and late beaux-arts design highlight this yellow buff brick complex, arched porch and terra cotta capped pilasters. Locates in the Magnolia Historic Preservation District. The building was added to the city register by resolution number 86-0503 on August 11, 1986.
Click to Enlarge 702 N. San Joaquin & Park - Left photo in the 1920s
South San Joaquin Street - Main Street Intersects
Click for Main Street
Click to Enlarge Click to Enlarge 11 S. San Joaquin - California Building - Built in 1917 for the former Farmers and Merchants Bank. The building is the work of prominent San Francisco Architect George W. Kelham. With almost no exterior changes it exemplifies renaissance revival style and reflects early local interest in building skyscrapers. A granite and brick building, it's listed in the National Register of Historic Places. National register #1980000850
Click to Enlarge Click to Enlarge 15 S. San Joaquin - Rose Barber Shop
17 S. San Joaquin - Freitas Music
19 S. San Joaquin - Ambrose Fillipi Real Estate
21 S. San Joaquin - Carr Building
S San Joaquin St - Sonora Street Intersects
Click to Enlarge Trolly at the 400 Block of S, San Joaquin St
Click to Enlarge 403 S. San Joaquin  - California Hotel -- Alustiza's California Hotel Buffet - Photo by Floyd Perry Jr. - Still standing, but closed
S San Joaquin St - Hazelton Avenue Intersects
Click to Enlarge San Joaquin and Jackson - 324 East Jackson Street - Former Jackson / South School - between. San Joaquin and Sutter
Click to Enlarge 2049 S. San Joaquin - Filipino Federation Building - 1930s
Stanislaus Street
Click to Enlarge N. Stanislaus - Montgomery Wards, Stanislaus Entrance - Photo by Cyndy Bard Riker
Click to Enlarge 44 N. Stanislaus - McHugh Tires
Click to Enlarge 17 N. Sutter - Philson Hotel - In 1923, a fire destroyed the Hotel Philson along this side of the original structure and also damaged some of the upper stories of the Commercial Savings Bank
Click to Enlarge 21 N. Sutter - Aliskey theatre - Opened on June 10, 1907 (former Empire and Unique, became the Forrest and in 1909, the Garrick) - Replaced by The Commercial & Savings Bank building in 1915.
Click to Enlarge 25 N. Sutter - Wilmont Jewelers
27 N. Sutter - Tiny's Waffle Shop (1959) 
33 N. Sutter - Felix's Fine Foods (1968)
37 N. Sutter Inamasu Jewelers
43. N. Sutter - Grey's Men's Clothing
Click to Enlarge Click to Enlarge 42 N. Sutter St - Elks Building - 36-48 North Sutter Street - Built in 1908 the (1900-24) Chicago style by Architects Salfield & Kohlberg, a five-story structure which featured a massive stained glass skylight dome originally proposed for the Elks Hall in San Francisco, however after the earthquake of 1906 t was switched to Stockton.. The Elks Benevolent Protective Order held their meetings until 1976 upon the top floor. The dome was later taken away and sold. (Now installed in The Hard Rock Cafe in Sand Diego) In 1980 The upper floors received fire damage, however the lobby still features the original Elks motif mosaic floor The structure is #80004606 on the National Historic Places. The building has had various occupants since it was constructed. Stockton's first pharmacy, the Holden Drug Company, occupied the ground floor from 1908 through 1927. In 1930, Stockton City Directories listed Burnham Furniture, an insurance company, an attorney, an architect, and a physician as tenants In the Elks Building. Other businesses located here have included the United Paint Company and the Economy Shoe Store.
Click to Enlarge Sutter Street looking north from Weber - Nicola McLachlin
Click to Enlarge 115 N. Sutter at Weber - Sutter Building / Former Stockton College of Commerce (J.R. Humphreys) - The building still stands today with ugly aluminum siding and is called The Metro.
Click to Enlarge Click to Enlarge Click to Enlarge Click to Enlarge

Click to Enlarge

124-130 N. Sutter - Lyric Theatre - 124 N Sutter. it later became the National, Studio, Roxy. Torn down to build the United California Bank / First Western Bank - Then demolished for the RTD Center. Right Photo by Floyd Perry Jr.

N Sutter St - Channel Street Intersects
Click to Enlarge 208 N. Sutter - Ambassador Hotel / Royal Eight Inn Motel (1976) - Photo courtesy of Ron Chapman - 1974
Click to Enlarge 218-222 N. Sutter St. - S. T. Johnson Company Oil Burners - Also known as Torino's Bar and Restaurant - Appearing on the 1950 Sanborn map, but not the 1917 map. Stockton City Directories first list this building in 1930, when it was occupied by S. T. Johnson Co. Oil Burners. By 1935, F. W. Glick Auto Repair had taken over the space. In 1940, City Directories listed Fritz Brow's restaurant, and Leon Happel Drugs as occupants of the building. The drug store remained through at least 1950. By 1945, Ruth Cunningham Corsetiere was located here. In 1950, Pump Room Liquors replaced the former restaurant. The building has since been converted into a single tenant space for a restaurant and bar. Flamingo Restaurant & Cocktail Lounge (1976)
Click to Enlarge 232 N. Sutter St. - Sutter Building - Sutter Hearing Services - Appearing on the 1917. The lot associated with this building was occupied by the Miner Slough, which Sutter Street crossed via a wooden bridge. By 1924, the property owner was Hudson & Smith, who applied tor a building permit to install an electric sign, suggesting that the building was open for occupancy. By 1927, Edward Lowe Motors Co. and the Standard Auto Service Corporation were the tenants of 230 N. Sutter. This early automobile service function of the building indicates why the northeast comer of the building was designed to accommodate automobile storage. The 1930 City Directory indicates that the tenants of the Sutter Building was the National Cash Register Company and Thompson-Hoff Insurance Agency. National Cash Register remained through at least 1950. By 1940, several insurance brokers, and the National Auto Club were located here as well, and stayed through 1950. The building has been used as offices since its construction. 228 - Brower's Coin Shop (1976)
Click to Enlarge Click to Enlarge 242 N. Sutter St - Medico-Dental Building - 1930s - Designed and built over a three year period by famous Stockton architects Howard Bissell, AIA, and Frank V. Mayo, FAIA. 1n 1927, The structure is an excellent example of a commercial Gothic Style skyscraper. The steel- framed building features a terraced façade most typical of eastern urban designs. The exterior finish is “Coat of Joseph” face brick, trimmed in sandstone colored terra cotta which came from Lincoln, California. Decorative detail of the terra cotta above the entrance to the building. Frank Mayo, a native of Sacramento, was the designer of other Stockton buildings such as the Bank of Stockton, the State Savings and Loan building, and several private residences. Mr. Mayo is listed in Who's Who as a leader of the American Institute of Architects for organizing chapters In Northern California and Nevada. Construction for the Medico-Dental Building was begun in 1926 for an estimated cost of $650,000, and the building was open for occupancy about May of 1927. The builder was Steel Palm Iron & Bridge Works/Fredrickson Bros. of Stockton Bricks. Stockton's Medico-Dental Building a gothic gem - Cornelia Hotel - was demolished to build the Medico Dental building
South Sutter Street
Click for Main Street
Click to Enlarge 21 S. Sutter. Former Hippodrome - Vaudeville - The marquee leaves little doubt that vaudeville was playing at the Hippodrome, one of the 10 names for the theatre at 21 N. Sutter that opened in 1904 as The Unique. The "Hip" also played stock musicals, including the popular Roy "Hiram" Clare. Recalling a previous theatre name, the barbershop at the left is named the Garrick
Click to Enlarge Click to Enlarge 26 S. Sutter - Former Gold Rush Restaurant (1950) / Former Hotel Arlington Cafeteria (1913-1925?)
Click to Enlarge 24-32 S. Sutter - Former Hotel Arlington (1925) - Looking North from Market Street - 20s - Kevin Shavwer
Click to Enlarge 24 South Sutter - Rialto Theatre - On the right - Originally at 24 S. Sutter, then 210-220 East Main Street - The Rialto Theatre dates back to at least 1922 when a Robert-Morton organ was installed. It was renovated in 1949, to the plans of architect William Glenn Balch. The Rialto Theatre was demolished January 1950 to make room for a department store addition and latter the Jury assembly room
Click to Enlarge 29-31 S. Sutter St. - Parking lot / Former Mail Building - 1920s - After the Mail ceased publication, the Stockton Independent was published in this building during the 20s. In later years the ground floor became Ziegler's Billiard Parlor. the upper two stories were removed in the 50s. the remainder of the building was torn down in the 70s for a parking lot.
Click to Enlarge Click to Enlarge 32 S. Sutter St. - Former Sherman Hotel - about a year before its demolition in 1987. Photos courtesy of Floyd Perry Jr. - Then American Savings building
114 S. Sutter - Former Clark Hotel - Built in 1911 - it was later converted to inexpensive living quarters for senior citizens. The Clark burned beyond repair in 1984 and was demolished. Today a parking garage.
Click to Enlarge Click to Enlarge Click to Enlarge Click to Enlarge

Click to Enlarge Click to Enlarge Click to Enlarge

Click to Enlarge Click to Enlarge 121 S. Sutter St - Henery Apartments  - A French Second Empire style brick and terra cotta building featuring a Mansard roof, arched windows, decorative surrounds, cornices with medallions, and decorative brackets. Designed by Glen Allen, whose firm is also known for Goold and John's Tudor Flats (1924) at 938-944 North Sutter Street, Stockton Memorial Civic Auditorium (1924), First Church of Christ Scientist (1928), and the Jewish Community Center (1928). The building was added to the city register by resolution number 86-0294 on May 19, 1986.The only building in the elaborate French second Empire style in Stockton, and is one of the more dominant facades in the city. The Henery Apartments was built by the Clark and Henery Construction Company, a prominent local firm at the time. Clark and Henery built many buildings in Stockton, including the Clark Hotel and garage, across the street from the Henery. The building is one of the larger apartment buildings in downtown Stockton, and certainly one of the most elegant. The Henery had approximately 30 separate tenants throughout the 1910s and '20s. By the 1970s, the Henery was used for low-rent senior citizen housing, and has been vacant for several years. There appears to be construction going on on the inside. In 1935 Glenn Allen was listed as a resident
Click to Enlarge Click to Enlarge 146 S. Sutter St & Washington - Gan Chy Chinese Restaurant / Former Greyhound Interstate Restaurant (1950)
Click to Enlarge Sutter looking North from Washington - Ron Chapman photo
Click to Enlarge Union Ice worker, 1952 - Kevin Shawver Collection - 425 N. Union - Former Union Ice Company - Burned to the ground September 6, 2013
Washington Street
Click to Enlarge 125 E. Washington - On Lock Sam Chinese Restaurant - The original On Lock Sam was located at 125 East Washington Street between Hunter and El Dorado. It was started by an unknown person in 1898. Wong Sai Chun and two partners bought the existing business in 1920. Wong Sai Chun was from the K Wangtung Province of China. He chose Stockton, the "third city. " over the other cities in Central California, like San Francisco and Sacramento, for its overall size and probably because of the large and prosperous Chinese community he found here. On Lock Sam Company and Lee Yuen Company were the two surviving historic businesses that originated on this block of Washington Street. The old restaurant was tom down in 1964 as part of the move to the new building at 333 South Sutter Street
Click to Enlarge 203 E. Washington St - St Mary's Church - California’s First Archbishop, Joseph S. Alemany, laid the cornerstone July 21, 1861. The first mass was celebrated Christmas Eve of the same year. In 1870 the transept was added. The present steeple and ornate façade date from 1893. Saint Mary’s is the oldest catholic parish in the San Joaquin Valley. The adjacent building was constructed in 1905 as a retreat, study and place for meditation for the priest of the Saint Mary's Roman Catholic Church located next door. The 1917 Sanborn map shows a second parish located on the site. In 1950 the building was replaced with a one-story garage. 
Click to Enlarge Click to Enlarge Click to Enlarge Click to Enlarge
Washington Square - Work started on the wood and glass agricultural pavilion in 1887 and was subsequently completed the following year. The building occupied a complete square block bounded by Lafayette, Hunter, San Joaquin and Washington, also called Washington Square. The construction cost was a grand $50,000. In the early morning of September 29, 1902, only twisted metal and rubble from a fire remained which destroyed the entire 39,000 sq. ft. pavilion and took the life of fireman Tom Walsh.
Click to Enlarge Click to Enlarge 417 E. Washington St - Former Pacific Greyhound Bus Depot The building appears on the 1950 Sanborn map and is noted as the Pacific Greyhound Lines. Constructed in the 1930s, this building was originally the Greyhound Bus Depot. and played a major role in the transportation of the area. It remained as bus station until 1969 when a new depot was constructed down the street. The building is currently occupied by a Chinese restaurant, and has been slightly altered from its original state, but still maintains much of its historic integrity
Click to Enlarge Waterloo Road and 1220 Hiawatha (corner of Waterloo Rd.) Vanosse Hospital (Stockton Hospital Inc.)
Click to Enlarge Click to Enlarge 1400 Waterloo Rd. Graham Brothers Dodge Plant - Graham Brothers assembled Dodge Trucks / The plant became Wilson Cannery / and then Tillie Lewis Cannery
West Washington Street
Click to Enlarge 36 W. Washington - Former Europa Hotel
48 W. Washington - Former Washington Drug
112 W. Washington - Former New American Hotel
116 W. Washington - Former El Rancho Grande Cafe (Arroyo's - 1950)
118 W. Washington - Former Stockton Buddhist Church Auditorium

See also

Suggested Books Related to Stockton

Links to third party sites