Vintage Stockton in Photos - Seven


 

Disclaimer! Informational page only, I do not sell, lease or manage Commercial Real Estate.

Mariposa Road - Oak Street

Over the last ten years, Stockton has attempted to address the issues affecting disinvestment downtown and wrestled with finding solutions. Many studies have been commissioned to analyze the market and develop strategies to revitalize downtown, and some gains have been made. The Downtown Alliance, a business improvement district began operation in January 1998. However, with the complexity of the issues facing downtown, a workable strategy has not emerged to meet the scale of the challenge.

Nonetheless, it is clear that downtown Stockton offers much to build upon. Excellent highway access and visibility; the availability of vacant waterfront sites and large parcels to accommodate new development; and an impressive historic building stock, including the landmark Hotel Stockton, are just some of the physical assets the panel identified immediately. In addition, downtown Stockton has a concentration of government jobs, financial institutions, and public and private city leadership interested in the downtown.

Mariposa Road
Click to Enlarge 1457 E. Mariposa Rd. - Former El Rancho Inn Tavern
East Market Street
Click for Center Street
Click to Enlarge 25 E. Market St. - Hotel Grand
E. Market St - El Dorado Street Intersects
Click for El Dorado Street
Click to Enlarge 101 E. Market St. - NE Corner of El Dorado St. - Nippon Drug Company - Demolished in the West End Redevelopment /
115 Hotel Roosevelt, 
121 Hotel Yosemite and
125 On Lock Sam
Click to Enlarge 125 E. Market St. - On Lock Sam - Owl Hotel - Demolished
E. Market St - Hunter Street Intersects
Click for Hunter Street
Click to Enlarge Market and Hunter looking East - Courtesy of The Stockton Police Department - mid 70s
202 E. Market St. - Flor De Mexico Inn Tavern
Click to Enlarge Click to Enlarge Market & Hunter - Frank Stewart Library - Demolished
Click to Enlarge Click to Enlarge 205 E. Market St. - Former Hazelton Public Library - Located just south of the current county courthouse, Hazleton Library served as Stockton’s library for nearly 70 years. Opened in 1895, the Greek revival building had an exterior made entirely of marble and boasted a collection of 25,000 books. Were it still around today, the library would undoubtedly be one of the city’s most cherished given its architectural significance, no matter the use. While demolished in 1964, its memory lives on at UOP. Then university president Robert E. Burns rescued the library’s marble columns from the scrap heap and brought them to campus. Today, they still stand between the university’s William Knox Holt Memorial Library and Knowles Hall. Legend has it that if you stand in the middle of the columns, you can hear the echoes of your own voice. - Right photo is the Canlis Building with a 24 S. Hunter Address
E. Market St - San Joaquin Street Intersects
Click for San Joaquin Street
Click to Enlarge 316 E. Market St - City Hotel - Photo of 00 Blk of S. Eldorado Side - Photo courtesy of Ron Chapman - Demolished
Click to Enlarge 322 E. Market St. - Travelers Hotel - Photo by Floyd Perry Jr - Demolished
Click to Enlarge 323 E. Market St - Former Piggly Wiggly Grocery
Click to Enlarge 324 E. Market St. - Fontana Hotel (1920) / Don's Furniture - Demolished
Click to Enlarge Click to Enlarge Click to Enlarge
340 E. Market St. - Masonic Temple. The Masons started a chapter in Stockton in the 1950s. This building was completed in 1922 at a cost of $400,000 including furnishings. The first floor housed various shops while the upper floors. were occupied by the Masons. With the Fox Theater, this is one of the more ornate remaining Spanish or Moorish Revival buildings in the downtown area. This building meets the criteria of the Stockton Landmark ordinance, as well as those of the National and California Registers, as an excellent example of a Masonic Lodge and for its important place within the community.
Click to Enlarge Click to Enlarge 345 E. Market St. - Johnnies Waffle Shop
E. Market St - Sutter Street Intersects

Hotel Clark

Click to Enlarge Click to Enlarge Click to Enlarge Click to Enlarge

Click to Enlarge Click to Enlarge Click to Enlarge Click to Enlarge

E. Market & 114 S. Sutter - Clark Hotel - STOCKTON July 15, 1911 - HOTEL NEARLY FINISHED Five Story Building Built After Style of San Francisco's Noted Hostelry, giving Stockton another first class hotel. The building, a five story structure, was constructed at the southeast corner of Market and Sutter streets. It was built by W. R. Clark, former mayor. The new hostelry was completed at a cost of $50.000, and is of steel and brick. The brick Is laid with Flemish bond, after the style at the Palace hotel in San Francisco, it was the first of the kind in Stockton. A pretty effect has been obtained by alternating the cream and pressed brick. Mrs. M. G. Philson, who formerly conducted the Philson cafe, was the lessee of the new hotel.

Designed by Glen Allen, whose firm is also known for Goold and John's Tudor Flats (1924) at 938-944 North Sutter Street, Stockton Memorial Civic Auditorium (1924), First Church of Christ Scientist (1928), and the Jewish Community Center (1928). Built by the Clark and Henery Construction Company, a prominent local firm at the time.

There were two stores on the ground floor facing Market street. The hotel entrance was on Sutter street. A spacious lobby, men's reading room, ladies' reading room, offices, hotel bar, barber shop and grill in an annex took up the lower floor. There was also a mezzanine floor overlooking the lobby. The four upper floors were devoted to hotel rooms. There will be 15 bedrooms on each floor. Five private bathrooms will be located on each floor. The finishing of the lobby was quite a feature. The floor was tiled and the lobby was wainscoted in marble to a height of four and a half feet. The other furnishings were in mahogany. The vestibule was faced in white marble to a height of nine and a half feet. A marquise of heavy wire glass was suspended from chains above the entrance - The Clark burned beyond repair in 1984 and was demolished -The gas station is where Pacific Greyhound Bus Depot was and Gan Chy Restaurant is now located

- Left photo - Looking east on Market Street from in front of the Masonic Temple in 1986. Looking towards the 400 block prior to redevelopment. - Floyd Perry Jr. photo

Click to Enlarge 400 E. Market St - Green Brothers Pharmacy / Clark Pharmacy (1930)
Click to Enlarge 409 E. Market St. Wolf Hotel - Opened in 1912, It had a beautiful Roof Garden for dining and was considered Stockton's finest hotel. It later became a senior citizen's hotel - Demolished - Replaced with the American Savings Building
Click to Enlarge Market Street looking West - Photo posted by Terry Gust
Click to Enlarge 411 E. Market - Dr Cochrane - 426 E. Market St. - Mark Twain Hotel / Marion Hotel - Demolished
428 E. Market St. - Joe's Playroom Tavern - Demolished
Click to Enlarge 430 E. Market St. - California Liquor Store - Demolished in 1988 - Photo by Floyd Perry jr.
Click to Enlarge 434 E. Market St. - Phelan Hotel - Demolished
436 E. Market St. - Stockton Typewriter (1935) - Demolished
Click to Enlarge 437 E. Market & California - U.S. Post Office - 1906 - Demolished
E. Market St - California Street Intersects
Click for California Street
Click to Enlarge 530 E. Market St. - The Stockton Record 1920s - Appears to be the Shamrock in the next Block at 602 East Market which at the time was Rothenbush & Cunningham Soft Drinks
E. Market St - American Street Intersects
Click to Enlarge Click to Enlarge Click to Enlarge Click to Enlarge
602-606 E. Market St. - The Shamrock - Demolished - A two-story brick building located on the southeast corner of East Market and South American Streets and included the 110-114 S. American Street address. Two shops and a restaurant were on the ground floor.· The site was occupied by a two-story house prior to construction of this building.  By 1930, the Directory lists Golden West Bakery and Modem Cleaners at this address.· By 1935, the Biasotti & Co. Bar had replaced the bakery, and Lorenzo Beauregard Shoe Repair had opened. By 1940, Biasotti was replaced by the Golden Glow Inn, and a typewriter repair shop took over the shoe repair location. By 1945, the bar again changed owners and was now Arthur Basso Liquors. The 1950 City Directory shows that Ernest Galletti's real estate office replaced the clothing cleaner, and the Stockton Window Cleaning Company replaced the typewriter repair. The Redmen's Lodge occupied the second floor. A sign on the building indicated that the ground floor was once occupied by the Shamrock Bar.
612 E. Market St. - Demolished - Originally occupied by the Associated Charities, the forerunner to the county welfare department, who distributed financial assistance to dependent families. In the 1930s and '40s the building was operated by County Hospital as an OPD clinic. In the 19505, the building was utilized as the KWG radio station and later as a printing shop. According to State Office of Historic Preservation records, prior surveys have determined that
Click to Enlarge 620-622 E. Market St. - Demolished - The Cunningham Hotel was built on a site that once housed the. residence of Stockton's most famous sheriff, Thomas Cunningham. Mr. Cunningham served as the County Sheriff from 1871 to 1899. The hotel was constructed in 1926 and provided housing for travelers and long-term residents. By 1940, Berberian Brothers Wholesale Liquors was located on the ground floor of the hotel. This space was converted to Glasier Brothers Wholesale Cigars by 1950. The ground floor retail space in the building was vacant, but the hotel remains in operation as a longer-term residence. - Demolished
Click to Enlarge 626-632 E. Market St. - Plat records indicate that this building was originally built and owned by the Boggs family, a prominent Stockton family involved in real estate, business development, and politics. It was  one of the last wood frame buildings to survive in downtown Stockton, and the only one with its original facade. The building had housed a mix of retail and offices uses as well as two second-floor residences. Over the years, businesses in the building included a furniture shop, distributing company, a locksmith, radio store, used clothing store, and Mrs. Rose Koostra's Doll Hospital. It was one of the few wood· frame, Mission Revival style buildings in the downtown commercial area, / Pat's Donut Shop , 632 Stockton Paint Mart. It was demolished to expand the Record Building.
E. Market St - Grant Street Intersects
Click to Enlarge Oxford Hotel - 839 East Market Street - Built in 1918 - The Oxford Hotel occupies the upstairs of the main building. It consists of 32 rooms occupied by hotel residents (including a 2 bedroom quarter where the resident manager resides)
Click to Enlarge 901 E. Market St. - This four-story building appears on the 1917 and 1950 Sanborn maps. The 1895 Sanborn reveals that the Relief Windmill .Manufacturing Co. was originally on this site. The 1917 Sanborn maps notes the building as the Hate/New York, with a bar, restaurant, and storage on the first floor. Though a plaque on the building gives a 1910 construction date, the first listing in Stockton City Directories was In 1915. The New York Hotel was listed here through at feast 1950. Its proximity to the rail lines meant that this area was able to support a large number of hotels and temporary housing. - Today it's the New York Apartments. Left photo courtesy of Ron Chapman
Click to Enlarge Vineyard / Lincoln School - Corner of Market and Ophir - Opened February 14, 1870. In 1891 the building was sold to L. Mollenhauer who moved it to 348 South Aurora Street. Rebuilt as the Lincoln School in 1891 the New Lincoln school building was erected on the Vineyard district school site, corner Ophir and Market streets, the property having been given to the district trustees by Captain Weber way back in the early '70s. (No longer a school at this location)
South McKinley - Now South El Dorado St.
Click to Enlarge Click to Enlarge 2411 S. Mckinley & Ninth Street - McKinley School - Built in 1922 - Demolished in 1974 - McKinley Elementary School is now around the corner at 30 W. 9th St - Left photo courtesy of Marilyn Gilmore
Click to Enlarge Matthews Road - Now 7000 - Michael Canilis Blvd. - San Joaquin County Jail - 1959
Miner Avenue from 00 Center Street
Click for Center Street
Click to Enlarge 1 E. Miner - Coleman's Brake Service
Click to Enlarge Miner Avenue looking East from El Dorado St. - Late 1930s
Click to Enlarge Miner and 248 North El Dorado - Photo is 1950s
Click to Enlarge Miner and El Dorado - St John's Church, Construction was completed in 1892, the same year the trolleys went electric.
Click to Enlarge 5 E Miner Ave. - Connell and Garvey Truck Stop and Sales, The partnership split up, with Connel opening his own place on Wilson Way. Garvey soon opened a new place on Cherokee and Hwy 99. The photograph is looking east. The spires of St John's Epicopal Church at Miner & Eldorado and Central Methodist  church at Miner & San Joaquin, now Bank of Stockton can be seen. A UOP archives photo
Click to Enlarge 125-129 E. Miner Avenue - St John's Store - City Directories indicate that the building dates to the mid-1920s which would be consistent with its architectural character. In both 1930 and 1935, 129 E.· Miner was the Speedometer Service Station and 125 E. Miner was Taton & Trautman Auto Tires. By 1940 the building was used as the Hatch Chevrolet Company. By 1950 the Chase Chevrolet Company occupied the building and continued using the building until 1960.
Click to Enlarge 130 E. Miner - Hydromatic Specialty / Immel Motor Parts Company from 1940-1960 - Demolished
Click to Enlarge Click to Enlarge Click to Enlarge 135 E. Miner Ave. - Cancun Restaurant - Former Chase Chevrolet Building / Hatch Chevrolet
 
Click to Enlarge Blake Residence - San Joaquin & Miner 1870
Click to Enlarge Click to Enlarge Click to Enlarge Miner & San Joaquin _ Hotel Delta - L.D. Allen Cole - Duryea Dealership - Left photos from The Kevin Shawver Collection
Click to Enlarge Click to Enlarge Click to Enlarge 301 E. Miner & San Joaquin - Central Methodist Church - Bank of Stockton at this location now - Note: The Washington School - SE Corner of San Joaquin and Lindsay just behind the church in the photo at the right. The People's Temple was the name given to the Methodist Church during the pastorate of the Rev. William Copeland Evans. Previous to that time it had been known as the Methodist Episcopal Church, North, in distinction from the Methodist Episcopal, South, now known as Grace Episcopal Church. In Dr. Stephens' time it was called the Central Methodist Church.
 

It was located on the corner of Miner Avenue and San Joaquin Street and its spire, 172 feet in height, loomed above the tallest ten-story building in the city. It was one of Stockton's finest buildings, an ornament to the city and for many years the only auditorium suitable for large assemblies.
Click to Enlarge Click to Enlarge A photo of the fire that took place in the Belfry - Also the Washington School next to the church at San Joaquin & Lindsay. A Stockton Fire History Photo

Time and again the old church was overcrowded, there were no accommodations for the children attending the Sunday school, and the noise and confusion on the street became so annoying that in 1888 the board of trustees began looking for another church location. Purchasing three lots on the corner mentioned the trustees proposed plans for a small building, but the pastor, Rev. S. J. Carroll, insisted in a large, fine, up-to-date structure.

The old church property was sold for $30,000 and the cornerstone of the new building was laid December 21, 1889. The church was dedicated April 5, 1891, by Bishop Fowler. A splendid organ was installed, the building complete costing $87,275. It was heavily mortgaged for several years, but in 1902 the entire debt was paid.

Click to Enlarge Home of Joseph L Phelps, proprietor of Stockton Daily and Weekly Independent, owner of J.L. Phelps & Co.- Residence at 275 Grant. Bottom: Home of Charles Lincoln Ruggles, who worked with Joseph Phelps, for J.L. Phelps & Co. and lived at 341 Miner Ave
Click to Enlarge Click to Enlarge 342 E. Miner & 240 N. San Joaquin - Former Mid Cal National Bank / San Joaquin First Federal
Click to Enlarge 437 E. Miner - Vacant Lot / Former Walter's Union Station
Click to Enlarge Miner Avenue looking West towards Sutter - 1937
Click to Enlarge Click to Enlarge 510 E. Miner - Ralphs' Cushions & Covers (1966) Former Royal Tires
Click to Enlarge 625 E. Miner - Western Rambler / J.E. Meyer Hudson Dealer - J. E. Meyer sold Kaiser and Willys, then switched to Hudson, then Rambler in the late fifties - Demolished
Click to Enlarge 644 E. Miner - Ray Farmer's Used Cars / Western Rambler Used Cars
Click to Enlarge 650 E. Miner - Former Ford Used Car Lot
Click to Enlarge 711 E. Miner - Former Harley Davidson / Don Mann Cadillac / Big Valley Ford / Fairway Ford / Eagle Ford
Click to Enlarge 720 E. Miner - Ted's Motors (1966)
Click to Enlarge 800 Blk Miner & 308 N. Grant Street - Larry's Auto Repair / Former Derollo Mazda / Former Harold W. Thompson - Left photo courtesy of Floyd Perry Jr.
Click to Enlarge Miner Avenue underpass looking East (1920s) / Looking East  / looking West
Monroe Street
Click to Enlarge 42 S. Monroe - Tahiti iti
Click to Enlarge Monroe School - 135 South Monroe at Washington Streets - Opened in January 1903 Photograph date: 1910 - A mission style single story building designed by San Francisco architect Louis S. Stone . Considered to be one of the most attractive school buildings in California. The school was closed in 1967. (No longer a school at this location)
Click to Enlarge Navy Drive and Fresno Avenue - Tillie Lewis - Flotill Cannery - On July 13, 1935, her 34th birthday, Tillie Lewis opened the first Flotill cannery for tomato products in Stockton, California. Operating the first cannery owned by a woman, by 1940 she had made San Joaquin County the top tomato-producing county in the United States. In addition to tomatoes, Lewis's Flotill Products, Inc., canned other fruits and vegetables, baby food, and frozen juices; during the Second World War, the company also became the largest producer of C-rations for the U.S. Army. By 1951, Flotill Products, later known as Tillie Lewis Foods, Inc., was earning $30 million per year, making it one of the five largest canning companies in the country. In the same year, Lewis was named "businesswoman of the year" by the Associated Press.
Oak Street
Click to Enlarge Click to Enlarge Click to Enlarge 122 E. Oak St - Mr. D's Pizza / Wagner Leather Co. Engine Room - Built in 1871, the building once housed the engine and boiler rooms of the Wagner Leather Company operators of the Pacific Tannery from 1856-1926. This tannery occupied an entire block and for years was the only tannery in the San Joaquin Valley and one of the largest in the west. Products including harness and sole leather were shipped throughout the pacific coast, the orient and other world markets The structure was added to the city register by resolution number 30,809 on October 15, 1973.
Click to Enlarge 1015 E. Oak St - Former Tom's Peanuts / Monarch Foundry - Photo posted by Kevin Shawver
Click to Enlarge Lincoln School (Not to be confused with The Lincoln School on Pacific Avenue) - 125 South Ophir (Now Airport Way)- 1977 photo - Former Vineyard School - Built January 7, 1895 - closed in 1966, demolished in 1977. (No longer a school at this location)

See also

Suggested Books Related to Stockton

External links