Hotel Stockton Photo
Courtesy of Ron Chapman

Vintage Stockton Photos - Ten


Disclaimer! Informational page only, I do not sell, lease or manage Commercial Real Estate.

Weber Avenue - Wilson Way

Over the last ten years, Stockton has attempted to address the issues affecting disinvestment downtown and wrestled with finding solutions. Many studies have been commissioned to analyze the market and develop strategies to revitalize downtown, and some gains have been made. Most recently the Downtown Alliance, a business improvement district scheduled to begin operation in January 1998 was established. However, with the California recession of the early 1990s and the complexity of the issues facing downtown, a workable strategy has not emerged to meet the scale of the challenge.

Nonetheless, it is clear that downtown Stockton offers much to build upon. Excellent highway access and visibility; the availability of vacant waterfront sites and large parcels to accommodate new development; and an impressive historic building stock, including the landmark Hotel Stockton, are just some of the physical assets the panel identified immediately. In addition, downtown Stockton has a concentration of government jobs, financial institutions, and public and private city leadership interested in the downtown.


Early Stockton - Levee Street - Now West Weber Avenue

East Weber Avenue
Click for Center Street
Click to Enlarge 0 Block of Weber looking east from Center with the old wooden parking lot - 1972
E. Weber Ave - El Dorado Street Intersects
Click to Enlarge Weber & El Dorado - Farmers Market - 1890s - Showing the head of the channel. In the background is the second county courthouse and the Yosemite Building
Click to Enlarge Weber looking East from El Dorado
Click to Enlarge Click to Enlarge Weber Avenue and El Dorado Street - Left photo, 1886 - Right photo, Atchison, Topeka and Santa Fe Railroad 1942 - Ron Chapman Collection
Click to Enlarge Weber Avenue at El Dorado - 1880s - Preparing for the construction of Hotel Stockton
Click to Enlarge Weber and Hunter Square buildings with train, 1895 - Photo taken from the top of the courthouse
Click to Enlarge 1901 photo, courtesy Jeff and Liz Willis. It appears to be the 100 block of E Weber, by virtue of the sign in the background for Madden's restaurant. Madden's appears in the city directories as early as 1891 at 196 East, and as late as 1925 at 112 E Weber. Apparently around 1901 or so, they moved to the 108-118 address.
Click to Enlarge South side of the street
110 E. Weber - Bank of America
108 E. Weber - Hotel Harvard (1957) - Demolished
112 E. Weber - Mead's Coffer Shop - Demolished
118 E. Weber - Ritz Rooms (1950) - Demolished
120 E. Weber -Joe's Tavern (1959) - Demolished
126 E. Weber - Harvard Book Store (1943) - Demolished
Click to Enlarge 149 E. Weber - Hotel Stockton - Constructed in 1910,  a prime example of mission revival architecture  Construction cost of $500,000 was financed by the Hotel Stockton company. The 200 room hotel was once the city’s finest hostelry. Read More on the Hotel Stockton Page
E. Weber Ave - Hunter Street Intersects
Click to Enlarge Hunter Square - 1930s
Click to Enlarge Click to Enlarge Click to Enlarge 200 Block of East Weber looking East
Click to Enlarge Click to Enlarge Click to Enlarge 222 E. Weber - First San Joaquin County Court House - completed late in 1853, and occupied jointly by the city and the county officials. The city occupied the south and the county the north half of the building. Left photo, courthouse under construction.

Poverty makes no distinction between the individual and the corporation poor, and as the young county had no money or revenue they were compelled to rent rooms. These rooms were in what was then known as the McNish Building, a large two-story wooden structure on the northwest corner of Hunter and Channel streets. It was occupied by the county officials, the court of sessions, lawyers' offices, sleeping and jail. The prison was in the basement. The expense to the county was heavy, $7,900 a year, this including $290 a month for two watchmen to guard the jail. The grand jury in their December, 1851, report to Judge Stakes said, "the rent money, if applied to the erection of an edifice (court house and jail) would give to the county suitable buildings and relieve the county of one of its heaviest expenses."

"The county at the time was heavily in debt, $45,000," said the judge, "and the county securities were almost valueless." We must keep in mind that the court of sessions managed the entire business of the county, and the county was enabled to considerably decrease the debt during the following two years, says the Times, "for the court is disposed to economize in every particular in order that public buildings soon may be erected." The press was strongly partisan and the editor continuing, says, "Albeit Judge Stakes is a Whig, we must do him the justice to say he has exhibited a sincere desire to place the county financially on a stable basis."

Necessity is oft times the mother of action, and the court losing no time, in the spring of 1853, a bill was introduced into the legislature and passed granting them permission to erect a court house and jail. The city council also took action, and in May both agreed to the plans and specification and bids were called for, for a court house and jail. The call was signed by Judge A. G. Stakes for the county, and B. E. Owens, P. E. Jordan, two merchants of the city, and W. W. Stevenson, a pastor of the Christian Church, for the city of Stockton. The contract to erect the court house was signed early in July, the work was rushed along, and in August the foundation was ready for the laying of the cornerstone.

This honor was offered to the San Joaquin Lodge of Masons; they refused to accept it because F. E. Corcoran, the architect of the building and a member of the lodge, had not been appointed as constructing supervisor. The invitation was then offered and accepted by the two Odd Fellow lodges, Charity No. 6 and Stockton No. 11. The laying of the cornerstone, August 6, 1853, was a very crude affair. The Odd Fellows, assembling at their Center Street hall at 9 o'clock in the morning, marched to the site of the new building. The articles to be placed in the cornerstone were placed in a glass jar and sealed, the cap of the stone was then cemented in place by Deputy Grand Master Edward W. Colt; an address was delivered by Judge Stakes and an oration by George Ryer, a favorite actor then playing an engagement in the city. This was the only cornerstone laid by the Odd Fellows save their own building in 1867. The Masons cornered all of the subsequent honors.

Click to Enlarge Click to Enlarge Click to Enlarge Click to Enlarge Click to Enlarge

222 E. Weber Avenue - Second San Joaquin County Courthouse STOCKTON CA This picture was taken in the 1950's looking southeast from the corner of Weber Avenue and Hunter Street. The Academy Award Movie ALL THE KING'S MEN (1949) was filmed in Stockton and the courthouse. I recommend everyone to watch it. This beautiful courthouse was torn down in 1961 and replaced by a ugly nondescript block building. Right photo by Dan Tunnell

Click for Hunter Square
Click to Enlarge Click to Enlarge 223 East Weber Avenue - Hammond and Yardley Groceries - The building was part of the Hammond and Yardley Grocery Store, once two stories tall. The 1895 and 1917 Stockton Sanborn Maps reveal that there was once a two-story building on this site, but by the time the 1950 map was drawn, a one-story building was present. The Stockton City Directory listed the building as the Pleasanton House by 1912 and through 1925. By 1930, the building was listed as the Skaggs Safeway Stores and the Bradford Hotel. By 1940, it had been converted into F. L. Williams. Real Estate and State Building and Loan, and in 1945, the Stockton Realty Board, State Savings & Loan Association and Williams Real. Estate were all located here. In the 1960s, the facade and interior were altered to accommodate a thrift shop. Photographs reveal a metal or wood panel placed over the upper portion of the facade, and a large display window in each of the two narrow bays. The screen has since been removed, and the facade remodeled to an Art Deco style. The Tidewater Art gallery was located here for 10 years prior to closing in 2012.
Click to Enlarge Click to Enlarge Click to Enlarge

Weber & 106 N. Hunter St. - Originally The Mansion House, this building was constructed in 1873. Read More

Originally The Mansion House

The Mansion House was well known in early Stockton, both architecturally and within the business community. Located directly across the street from the county courthouse and one block east of the Channel, the building held a central location in the city. Before major alterations, the building was a strong example of ltalianate style-commercial building.

It had a comer bay, an ornamented bell cap with cresting, a roof balustrade, and ornamental hoods over the windows. In 1947 the building was extensively altered and expanded to its present configuration. This new facade covers two distinct buildings, as the owners bought the building to the east and incorporated the two into one. This remodel irreversibly impaired the historic integrity of this building. The Mansion House has been significantly altered and does not individually meet the criteria of the· National California Registers. / Windsor Apartments - Upper left photo 1930
Click to Enlarge Click to Enlarge Click to Enlarge 229 E. Weber - Tretheway Block - Originally constructed as the Argonaut Hotel, with a hardware store at street level, this Queen Anne style structure includes Romanesque and Moorish elements of cast zinc floral patterns and sandstone. When constructed, the building had a taller false front parapet, which fell during the San Francisco earthquake in 1906; when the false front was reconstructed, it assumed a lower profile. Read More

229 E. Weber - Tretheway Block

The building is #82000987 on the National Register of Historic Places, and was added in 1982 as the Tretheway Block. The structure was added to the city register by resolution number 38,554 on September 8, 1981. Today the building is referred to as the Mansion House

Mr. John Trethway, who was a wealthy farmer, had this three-story brick building constructed in 1897. The architectural style is similar to the work of architect Frank Furness, who was an important Philadelphia architect at the time. The building Is unique in Stockton and while it has been altered, retains a great deal of integrity. ·This building is a City of Stockton Landmark and was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1982. Stockton City Directories listed it simply as the Trethway Building through 1919, and did not specify tenants. By 1925, and through at least 1950, it was listed as the Hotel Argonaut. It now contains several offices and ground floor shops
Click to Enlarge Photo taken from the courthouse looking north, Mansion House, Argonaut Hotel, Hammond & Yardley, San Joaquin Hotel
Click to Enlarge 229 E. Weber - Notary
Click to Enlarge 223-235 E. Weber - Nomilini, Grilli & McDaniel / State Savings and Loan / Arlington Hotel (1891) - 223 and 235 East Weber Avenue - Hammond and Yardley Groceries - The building was part of the Hammond and Yardley Grocery Store, once two stories tall. The 1895 and 1917 Stockton Sanborn Maps reveal that there was once a two-story building on this site, but by the time the 1950 map was drawn, a one-story building was present. The Stockton City Directory listed the building as the Pleasanton House by 1912 and through 1925. By 1930, the building was listed as the Skaggs Safeway Stores and the Bradford Hotel. By 1940, it had been converted into F. L. Williams. Real Estate and State Building and Loan, and in 1945, the Stockton Realty Board, State Savings & Loan Association and Williams Real. Estate were all located here. In the 1960s, the facade and interior were altered to accommodate a thrift shop. Photographs reveal a metal or wood panel placed over the upper portion of the facade, and a large display window in each of the two narrow bays. The screen has since been removed, and the facade remodeled to an Art Deco style. Right Photo by Terry Gust
Click to Enlarge 243 E. Weber, Zeiter Eye / Nelson's Imports / New San Joaquin Hotel - The building in the center of the photo. The structure on the right is the Belding Building.
Click to Enlarge 275 E. Weber - Eagle Hotel- Stockton buildings, late 19th century
Click to Enlarge Click to Enlarge 245 Weber & San Joaquin - NW Corner - San Joaquin Hotel -1850-1891
E. Weber Ave - San Joaquin Street Intersects
Click for San Joaquin Street
Click to Enlarge The building on the near corner is Weber and 102 North San Joaquin, The Belding Building - The Belding Building was designed for medical and dental offices. The building across the street is 243 E. Weber, which has been reduced to one story. and is now Zeiter Eye / former Nelson's Imports / it was the the New San Joaquin Hotel - Photo courtesy of Kat Rodgers
Click to Enlarge 301-319 East Weber, Belding Building and the Branch Building. Sims & Grupe Real Estate was there into the mid 1960s - Photo courtesy of Kat Rodgers
Click to Enlarge Weber and San Joaquin looking NE
Click to Enlarge Yo semite Cash Store 301-307 E. Weber (1902 Directory)- Appears to be Weber and San Joaquin, Cunningham Castle (former jail) and the Central Methodist Church at Miner and San Joaquin past the jail (Where Bank of Stockton is today.
Click to Enlarge Weber and 102 North San Joaquin - Belding Building - The Belding Building was designed for medical and dental offices. In more recent years, the building has been occupied by several different law firms. he building is named after a Stockton businessman by the name of Charles Belding, who owned and operated a soda water bottling plant on the property before the present building was constructed. The building appears on the 1917 and 1950 Sanborn maps as the Belding Building, with addresses at 301 E. Weber and 110 N. San Joaquin. The first listing of the Belding Building in Stockton City Directories, however, was in 1935, though Avenue Drug Co. had been listed at 301 E. Weber since 1930. By 1940, Avenue Drug had changed to Hansen & Zinck Druggists. and by 1950 changed again to L. W. Harris Drugs. The Belding Building had a variety of office tenants throughout this period.
Click to Enlarge Click to Enlarge Click to Enlarge Weber Avenue and San Joaquin Streets - Southeast corner - Lauxen & Catts building Est. 1888.... Furniture, Carpets, Draperies, Upholstery and Similar Household Goods.
Click to Enlarge Hubbard & Yosemite Buildings - SE corner of Weber & San Joaquin
301 - Dial finance
Click to Enlarge Click to Enlarge Click to Enlarge p class="clear"> 317-319 E. Weber - Stockton Paint / Sims & Grupe - Built in 1918 - There were no listings in the Stockton City Directories for this address until 1929, at which point it was occupied by the Stockton Paint Company. Stockton Paint remained through 1940. By 1945, the occupant was listed as W. P. Fuller & Co. Paints. by 1950, G. E. Crane Company Loans, and Sims & Grupe Real Estate all had offices here. A sign painted on the building identifies it as the Weber Avenue Emporium. Stockton Paint 319 - 1952
Click to Enlarge The entire 300 block on the south side of the street was demolished to build the San Joaquin Records Building. (Photo by Floyd Perry Jr.) Reading from right to left
302-304 East Weber- Lauxen & Catts Furniture Store / Bravo Mckegan / County Treasurer - In 1917 it was the Lauxen & Catts Furniture store. Library records contain photographs of the building In the 1970s, when the windows on the upper tour floors were covered with what appears to be a corrugated metal architectural screen. A large sign on the building announced it as the Bravo and McKeegan Department Store.

Click to Enlarge 330 East Weber - In 1917, the building was a Furniture Warehouse, and the. 1950 map notes the presence of a dance hall. In 1930, it was occupied by the Stockton Photo Engraving Company, Charlie's Popular Restaurant, Bright Spot Ells Co., a barber,. Food Palace, and Johnson's Sporting Goods. By 1935, Charlie's Restaurant was vacant, and N. P. Can/is Restaurant had replaced the Food Palace. By 1940, businesses included J. A. Ka/green Cigars, the New Grande Dance Hall, C. V. Mori Liquors, a barber, Rosemund's Coffee, and an office equipment dealer. The 1945 City Directory lists the Palomar Ball Room, the liquor store, Purdy Coffee Shop and Art Gift Shop. Remnants of the painted sign from the Palomar Bar Room were still visible on the facade. At 330  E. Weber was Quinns Stationary Store

Other businesses in this block were 334 E. Weber- Standard Office Equipment, 340 E. Weber - Morris Plan, 342 1/2 E. Weber - Majestic Shoe Repair, 344 E. Weber - Belinda's Cafe and 346 E. Weber - Fox Photo

Click to Enlarge Weber at 115 N. Sutter at  - Sutter Building / Former Stockton College of Commerce (J.R. Humphreys) - The building still stands today with ugly aluminum siding and is called The Metro.
Click to Enlarge Weber and Sutter looking East. The building on the near corner is the Sutter Building / Former Stockton College of Commerce (J.R. Humphreys) - The building still stands today with ugly aluminum siding and is called The Metro. - The building on the far corner is 401 E. Weber - Designed in a vernacular interpretation of the Renaissance Revival style, was built in 1869 and was one of the oldest buildings in Stockton. First appearing on the 1895 Sanborn maps it was one of the oldest buildings in Stockton. Now a facade for the RTD. The Ford is a 1954 - Photo courtesy of Kat Rodgers
Click to Enlarge 331-337 E. Weber Former J.J. Newberry - The first floor was once occupied by a seed company. During World War II the second floor was used as a U.S.O. bar and dance hall. City Directories list this address as "vacant" between 1935 and 1940. By 1945, it was listed as the Commissioned Officers Club. By 1950, the J. J. Newberry Company had opened their store here, indicating confidence in downtown Stockton as a viable commercial center. The Novelty was located 335 E. Weber. the present site of Newberry's. The Novelty offered half a dozen second rate vaudeville acts and two motion pictures, usually a one reel comedy or a news reel. Bottom right photo showing windows exposed
E. Weber Ave - Sutter Street Intersects
Click for Sutter Street
Click to Enlarge Weber & Sutter - Stockton Hall of Pioneers - The Society of Pioneers was established in 1868. The first hall of pioneers was erected in 1890 on the Southwest corner of Weber and Sutter. The archives and commemoration to the pioneers survives to this day in the Haggin Museum
Click to Enlarge 400 Block of East Weber looking East - Photo courtesy of Ron Chapman
Click to Enlarge Click to Enlarge Weber and 42 N. Sutter St SE Corner - Elks Building - 36-48 North Sutter Street - Built in 1908 the (1900-24) Chicago style by Architects Salfield & Kohlberg, a five-story structure which featured a massive stained glass skylight dome originally proposed for the Elks Hall in San Francisco, however after the earthquake of 1906 t was switched to Stockton.. The Elks Benevolent Protective Order held their meetings until 1976 upon the top floor. The dome was later taken away and sold. In 1980 The upper floors received fire damage, however the lobby still features the original Elks motif mosaic floor The structure is #80004606 on the National Historic Places.  The building has had various occupants since it was constructed. Stockton's first pharmacy, the Holden Drug Company, occupied the ground floor from 1908 through 1927. In 1930, Stockton City Directories listed Burnham Furniture, an insurance company, an attorney, an architect, and a physician as tenants In the Elks Building. Other businesses located here have included the United Paint Company and the Economy Shoe Store.
38 N. Sutter St - King of Cuts
40 N. Sutter - Downtown Cafe
Click to Enlarge Click to Enlarge 400 Block of East Weber looking East - Left photo: Floyd Perry Jr, right photo, Ron Chapman photo
Click to Enlarge Click to Enlarge Click to Enlarge Click to Enlarge

401 E. Weber - Designed in a vernacular interpretation of the Renaissance Revival style, was built in 1869 and was one of the oldest buildings in Stockton. First appearing on the 1895 Sanborn maps. One of the oldest buildings in Stockton, it was built for the Hart & Thrift grocery store in 1869. Despite substantial alterations, the building remained significant because of its extreme age and association with the early development of commerce in Stockton. The structure was. designed by B. Mackay, a local architect who designed other buildings in Stockton during the same period. The The building's original owners, Mr. John W. Hart and Mr. E E. Thrift were highly respected gentlemen within the business community. Hart was a former blacksmith who owned his own business for many years, and Thrift was a businessman. When the building was constructed, the Stockton Independent noted that the building had "handsome fronts, and . . . two commodious stores and sixteen rooms." The grocery store carried "a choice lot of groceries and provisions." There is no listing for this building in City Directories until 1930, when a Mark Curtis was listed here. By 1935, the building was occupied by the Morthirft Co. & Finance, and A. G. Girder Electrician. Morthrift Co. remained at this location through 1950. By 1940, the electrician's space was listed as. vacant, but by 1945, it was listed as A. G. Henry Real Estate. By 1950, it had become Davis & Eakes Real Estate & Insurance. The building was last occupied by Dickerson's Religious Gifts and Downtown Optometry. Now a Facade for the RTD

Click to Enlarge Click to Enlarge Click to Enlarge 409-413 E. Weber Avenue. The Bower Building was constructed in 1895. The building had three storefronts on the first floor, a hall an the second floor and a 1-story harness shop along the full width of the rear (north elevation).
409 -Davis Insurance & Real Estate (1952) / Grider Electrical Co. (1930)
411 - Carl G. Schnieder Harness, dealing in leather goods, trunks, etc.(1930-1940)
413 - Valley Shoe (1990) / Vacant (1930) / 1933 it was remodeled for use as a still extant Shoe store / John Jory & Ca. From at least 1915 to 1930  / Undertaker (1896) /
415 -  Chin Edwin Restaurant (1940) / Vacant  (1945) / the Golden Pragan Gate (1930)

In 1945, the City Directory listed A. G. Henry Real Estate, G. R:. Pitzen Liquors, G. E. Crane Mortgage & Loan, and Sims & Grupe Real Estate. F.L. Sims owned the building in1952 when the first floor tenants included Campora Gas & Appliance, Other businesses included a Farmer's Insurance Group office and Island Style Barbecue and Cuisine. Left photo posted by Terry Gust. Second from left by Roy Perez. Now a Facade for the RTD. Upstairs was the Weber Dance Hall, Former Sciots Hall

Click to Enlarge Click to Enlarge 417-423 E. Weber - There was a Studebaker Dealer at this location in 1909 - Center photo 1987 by Floyd Perry Jr. First Appearing on the 1917 Sanborn maps. Stockton City Directories show no listing for this building until 1926, at which time it was occupied by the Blacks Package Company and the Wy-Knot Grocery. These businesses remained through at least 1930. By 1935, the Assembly of God Church was located at 417, and 421 was vacant. By 1940, Burnhan Brothers Furniture is the only business listed in the building, and remained as such through 1950. The facade was completely replaced with modern details in the 1930s or 1940s, likely when Burnham Brothers took over the building.  Now a Facade for the RTD.
Click to Enlarge Click to Enlarge 425-433 E. Weber - Douglass-Wilhoit Building - Constructed in 1910 by Roley Early Wilhoit, a prominent early citizen of Stockton. In 1925, the John Breuner Company. By 1930, the Stockton City Directory listed the Kendall-Tredway Stationary company and L J. Kltt & Company as tenants. By 1940 and through 1950; the Acme Furniture Company was located here. By 1945, Matty's Liquors, owned by Fred Matteoni, had opened in this building.  Now a Facade for the RTD.
Click to Enlarge Click to Enlarge 430 E. Weber - Horan's Furniture - Kendall Building - According to Stockton City Directories, W. J. Horan Furniture occupied this building in 1925 and through 1940. Horan's advertisements in local papers of the time featured illustrations of their building. By 1945, Kendall's Stationary took over the building, and remained through the 1970s.
Click to Enlarge 400 Block of E. Weber - South Side
Click to Enlarge Weber and California - SW corner - St Leo Hotel
E. Weber Ave - California Street Intersects
Click for California Street
Click to Enlarge Weber and California looking North. The tracks are streetcars tracks crossing Miner Slough. The Franklin House is at 501 E. Weber and the San Joaquins Chemical Company fire house is at 509 E Weber. The building in the background is the Grand Central Hotel with a 505 E Channel St. address. At the very left is William P. Miller Carriage Manufacturing at 115-121 N. California St. The entire northern portion of the block was demolished for the RTD.
Click to Enlarge 509 E. Weber - Chemical Company - Built in 1869 for the use of the San Joaquins of the volunteer department. Equipped an exceptional pair of speedy horses, this light piece of apparatus is enabled to arrive at a fire within a very few moments after the sounding of an alarm and it can be safely estimated that more than ninety percent of the fires are extinguished by the chemical. Should a fire have reached great headway before it's discovery, the use of a heavy steam or water is absolutely necessary, but whenever a blaze is found in it's incipiency, no matter combustible may be it's fuel, the chemical is soon master of the situation and without the heavy loss always accompanying the use of water - Demolished
Click to Enlarge Click to Enlarge 512-514 E. Weber - Grangers Union Hardware - 1891 - Later became the Columbus Buggy Works, then H.C. Shaw Company and later Former Eagle Furniture. The building also has a 46 N. California address
Click to Enlarge 517 E. Weber & 108 N. California - Bank of Agriculture and Commerce / Former Crocker-Citizens National Bank / Former Crocker Anglo National Bank
520-534 E. Weber - 522- Red Cherry Bakery (1976) - Stockton City Directories show no listing for this building until 1926, when the Boy Scouts occupied 526 and the Stone Store was at 530. By 1930, The Dreamland Hall (a dance hall) was at 520, the former Boy Scouts location was vacant, and New Woodall Furniture had moved in to 528-32. By 1935, the Bascou Bakery was at 522, Sattie Electrical Appliances was at 524, and H. E. Jacobsen Fruit Stand at 526. W. D. Prichard- Blacks Package took over the furniture store, having moved from their former location at 417-23 E. Weber. By 1940, the Dreamland had become the Treanan Ballroom, the fruit stand was the De Bono Delicatessen, and 528 was converted to Blacks Grocery. The building is currently occupied by Eagle Furniture, Irma's Place Cafe, and a variety and gift shop.
520 - The Dreamland Hall (1930) / Treanan Ballroom (1940)
522 - Red Cherry Bakery (1976) / Bascou Bakery (1935) / Martha Washington Grocery Stores (1923)
524 E. Weber - Irma's Place Mexican Restaurant / DeBono's fountain Restaurant / Former Sattie Electrical Appliances
526 - Boy Scouts (1926) / H. E. Jacobsen Fruit Stand (1935) / De Bono Delicatessen (1940)
528-532 - Ace Furniture / Black's Grocery (1935 - Moved from 417-423 E. Weber) / New Woodall Furniture Store (1930)
530 - Stone Store (1926)
542 - Art's Coffee Shop
Click to Enlarge 522 E. Weber - Martha Washington Grocery Stores - By 1923 there were 56 Martha Washington Stores in California. The chain disappeared by 1928 - The building still stands today
Click to Enlarge 547 E. Weber - Wagner Meat Company
E. Weber Ave - American Street Intersects
Click to Enlarge Click to Enlarge Weber & American - Left photo 1880s - Avenue Market - Right photo 1970s - Ron Chapman
Click to Enlarge Click to Enlarge 607 E. Weber - Turner Hardware -The corporation was formed Jan 5, 1907 and dissolved 106 years later - It seems like Turner had everything, housewares, sporting goods, hardware, tools. Turner also had a store in Tracy. I'm sure everyone knows Central Valley Hardware was run by the Turner Family - Today the Turner Hardware Location is a big empty lot. Left photo, Ron Chapman, center photo courtesy of Floyd Perry Jr.
E. Weber Ave - Stanislaus Street Intersects
Click to Enlarge 701 E. Weber - Stockton City Directories list this building as Wilkes Pearson Knutzen Co., Inc. from 1910 through 1930. By 1935 through 1940, F. H. Clark Grocer was the occupant. By 1945, Green Frog Food Emporium was located here. By 1950, it was listed as H. F. Clayton Meats and Green Spot Food. The ground floor was later occupied by Felix and Betty's Italian Restaurant. Currently Rock Youth Center / Appliance Center (1960)
Click to Enlarge 702-706 E. Weber - The 1915 City Directories listed the New Idea Mercantile Company at this address. By 1925, it had been converted to the Skaggs Cash Store, grocers. In 1930, it was listed as the Skaggs Safeway Store, and by 1935 simply as Safeway Stores. By 1940, it was converted to R. J. McNabb Pianos. It changed again by 1945 to Western Auto Supply, which remained through the 1970s. The building is currently occupied by Samco Restaurant Supply. Left photo courtesy of Cathy Wetzel
Click to Enlarge 726-732 E. Weber - Built in 1918, Frank and Martha Coburn were at this address - In the early 1930's the building was used for the F. M. Grissel Farm Implement Co. In 1938 the building housed the Simard Printing Co. By 1925, Stockton Motors was located here. By 1930, Wolf Used Cars were here. By 1935, F. M. Grissel Farm Implements was listed as the tenant. By 1940, Action Color, Simard Printing Company, and San Joaquin Printers were all located at this address. The first two remained here through at least 1950. By 1945, the Stockton Lions Club was also listed in City Directories at this address. Left photo from the 1948 yearbook.
726 - Simard Printing
E. Weber Ave - Grant Street Intersects
Click to Enlarge Click to Enlarge 805 E. Weber Avenue at Grant - AFL Building 1940s / Montgomery Ward in 1931 - Right photo by Denny Ah Tye. Today it's a vacant lot
Click to Enlarge 815 E. Weber - The Stockton City Directory lists the Stockton Creamery at 815 Weber in 1920. There are no further listings for this building until. 1930, at which time the Marston Motor Company was located here. By 1935, it had changed to the Superior Auto Company. The 1940 City Directory noted the Powers Hardware and Implement Company here. By 1950, the J. J. Abdallah Wholesale Grocery was here. In the late 1970s, a restaurant supply company was in the building. It was later G. & M. Diesel. Looks like some sort of auto repair shop today.
Click to Enlarge 844-848 E. Weber - Stockton City Directories show H. W. Moore at 33 N. Aurora, a secondary address for this building, by 1911. In 1915 and through 1919, L. A Stout was listed there. By 1925, the building was listed as the Walsh Apartments. In 1930, Wholesale Electrical was listed at 844 E. Weber, but the storefront was vacant by 1935. By 1945 and through at least 1950, Patrick Valvano Restaurant Supply was at 848. By 1950, the building had changed names and was now listed as the Spanes Apartments. The building currently appears to be used exclusively as offices. A sign on the ground floor identifies the MepCo company. The building also has a 33 N. Aurora Address
E. Weber Ave - Aurora Street Intersects
Click to Enlarge 1121 E Weber & Pilgrim - Junior Trade School / Jefferson School / High School Annex - Two separate sites and two different schools have carried the Jefferson School name. The first one opened in 1871 on the corner of Pilgrim and Weber Ave. In 1915 it was renovated and reopened as the "prevocational School" it had served as the district's vocational school for secondary grad pupils. It was renamed the Junior Trade School in 1933 and became the High School annex in 1948. Demolished in 1974 and replaced by the "Golden Valley High School" in 1976
Click to Enlarge1404 E. Weber - Sheldon's A&W Root Beer
E. Weber Ave - Wilson Way Intersects
Click for Wilson Way
Weber & A street - Richmond Chase Cannery (1950)
West Weber Avenue from 00 Center Street
Click to Enlarge Looking West at Levee St (Weber Avenue) - 1862
Click to Enlarge Chanel Head - 1925
W. Weber Ave - Commerce Street Intersects
Click to Enlarge 228 W. Main - Former Fire Station 7 - Demolished
Click to Enlarge Click to Enlarge Click to Enlarge 321 W. Weber Ave. Castaway Restaurant. Owned by the Specialty Restaurant Corp. It cost $500,000 to build in 1973. The Castaway advertised an Aloha luncheon from 11:30am to 4pm and every Wednesday was Luau night. The Castaway was demolished in the early 1980's and is now a parking lot.
Click to Enlarge Click to Enlarge Click to Enlarge Click to Enlarge

Click to Enlarge Click to Enlarge Click to Enlarge Click to Enlarge

400 Block West Weber Avenue - Crown Flour Mills / Sperry Flour Mills - Bottom photos - Stockton fire History - Bottom right, KKK Parade, 1919

Click to Enlarge Click to Enlarge One of the most spectacular fires ever seen in the city was that which destroyed the City Flouring Mills of Sperry & Company on Sunday afternoon, April 2, 1882.” The tall burning structure along the south shore of the Channel on Levee (Weber) and Beaver (Madison) Streets was right next to a grain storage facility which is referred to as the Waterfront Warehouse today.

The brick Sperry Flour Mill was built in 1852 and was an important part of Stockton’s earliest and most significant industry. The company grew into a company with seventeen mills across three states and becoming one of the nation’s most famous milling companies. Initially, the mill’s wheat supply was imported from Napa and Martinez, but by 1856 wheat became the San Joaquin Valley’s main crop.

The Sperry Flour Mill found itself in the center of one of the largest grain growing regions in the nation. The company expanded in 1860 and became famous for its flour labels, such as “Drifted Snow Flour.” The waterfront location allowed Sperry to ship flour throughout the country and the world.

Source: History of the Stockton Fire Department, 1850-1908 by the Firemen’s Pension and Relief Fund (1908)

Click to Enlarge Stockton - 1862 - Levee St, now Weber Avenue, steamboat Sagamore at the levee, first Sperry Mill Building, destroyed by fire in 1882. Captain Weber's home on Weber Point, then Holiday Inn, McLeod's Lake leading to Center St. Mt. Diablo in the background
Click to Enlarge Tidewater Southern
W. Weber Ave - Van Buren Street Intersects
Click to Enlarge Click to Enlarge Click to Enlarge
W. Weber Ave - Lincoln Street Intersects
Click to Enlarge Stockton Ice Rink - W. Weber & Lincoln
Click to Enlarge Skateway - W. Weber Avenue
Click to Enlarge 701 W. Weber - Ralston Purina Grain Elevator (1966) / Taylor Milling Company Warehouse Fire, June 1935 - Damages estimated in excess of $400,000 was done when flames destroyed the TAYLOR Milling Company plant at Stockton. Portions of the walls fell during the height of the blaze, injuring one fireman by falling bricks. The plant was declared a total loss
Click to Enlarge West Lane & Alpine - El Pinal Winery
Wilson Way
Click to Enlarge Wilson Way and Main looking North - 1930s - Photo courtesy of Joel Windmiller
Click to Enlarge 35 N. Wilson Way - Payless Auto Sales / Former Cooper's Donuts / New York Donuts - Photo by Floyd Perry Jr
Click to Enlarge 26-N. Wilson Way - J.H. Simpson Sheet Metal
36 N. Wilson Way - Location of the first Mystery Store. A fire leveled the Mystery X Store in the mid 90's. Both buildings were demolished and now a vacant lot - Photo by Floyd Perry Jr.
Click to Enlarge Click to Enlarge 36 N. Wilson Way - The first Mystery Stores - Left photo courtesy of Ron Chapman, right photo  Cindie Froshaug
Click to Enlarge 102 N. Wilson Way - Growers Hall - The younger generation often went down to Chets' a popular bar on the street level of Growers Hall. Times have changed. The condition of old Growers Hall has deteriorated. Chet's is now closed--a burned out shell of its former reputation where deals were made, crops were bought and sold, and good food was served. In the heyday of the Growers Market, Chefs began serving breakfast at 4:00 A.M. During each cherry season, many times all day long, the noise was near bedlam as brokers and shippers argued and made their deals each shouting louder than his competition. Truckers and railroad agents were also at Chets, because "that's where the action was."
Click to Enlarge 118 N. Wilson Way - Growers Hall - Italian Athletic Club
124 N. Wilson Way - Woody's Bail Bonds
126 N. Wilson Way - Domestic Appliance Sales
132 N. Wilson Way - Growers Men's Store
146 N. Wilson Way - Former American National Trust
Click to Enlarge 135 N. Wilson Way - Dentoni Variety
139 N. Wilson Way - Gaia Delucchi
141 N. Wilson Way - Duncan's Style Shop
Click to Enlarge 147 N. Wilson Way - Smart & Final / Bank of America (1950s)  Photo courtesy of Floyd Perry Jr.
Click to Enlarge 148 N. Wilson Way, Stockton Ca - Chets / Busalacci Tavern. Center photo by Robert Belin
Click to Enlarge 437 N. Wilson Way - Former location of Jefferson School Number Two - In 1915 a much larger Jefferson school was built at 1425 East Lindsay between Sierra Nevada and Wilson Way
Click to Enlarge 729 N. Wilson Way - Harley Davidson - Photo by Ron Chapman
Click to Enlarge 1075 N. Wilson Way - Budget Inn / Former Westerner Motel
Click to Enlarge 1100 N. Wilson Way - Autozone / Former Coca Cola Bottling Company (Demolished)
Click to Enlarge 1246 N. Wilson Way - J&S Flowers / Former Dave's Drive In (1976) / Brunch & Burger Hut / Obrien's Ice Cream (1957) - Left photo by Ron Chapman - Also a portion of Thrifty gas showing in the left part of the photo.
Click to Enlarge Click to Enlarge Click to Enlarge Click to Enlarge
Click to Enlarge Click to Enlarge Click to Enlarge Click to Enlarge

1537 N. Wilson Way - KFC - Former location of Ye Olde Hoosier Inn.

-
1537 N. Wilson Way  - C.T. Dyer Restaurant (1950) / Ye Olde Hoosier Inn - Additional Comments
Click to Enlarge Click to Enlarge 1604 N. Wilson Way - Town House Motel - From The Terry Gust Collection
Click to EnlargeClick to Enlarge  1604 N. Wilson Way - Town House Motel
Click to Enlarge 1609 N. Wilson Way - Traveler's Best Western Inn / Former Tou-Rest Motel - Photo from The Kevin Shawver Collection
Click to Enlarge Click to Enlarge Click to Enlarge Click to Enlarge
1609 N. Wilson Way - Traveler's Best Western Inn / Former Tou-Rest Motel
Click to Enlarge Click to Enlarge 1620 N. Wilson Way - Pear Tree Antique Shop (76)
1630 N. Wilson Way - J&C Auto Motor Repair
Click to Enlarge Click to Enlarge Click to Enlarge Click to Enlarge
1641 N. Wilson Way - Former Dairy Queen. Now a Tobacco Zone Smoke Shop - Top left photos by Ron Chapman
Click to Enlarge 1720 N. Wilson Way - Anyone remember the Big orange here in (1950) - Pictured is the original Giant Orange in Tracy, photographed in 1934 by Stockton photographer Leonard Covelo. It was located on the north side of 11th Street near “E” Street, about where the Connolly office building is now.
Click to Enlarge 1735 N. Wilson Way - Pacific Express Inn / former Pacific Motel
Click to Enlarge 1771 Wilson Way & Bradford - La Posada Del Pescador Numero 2 / Former Steak House / Lyman's Cafe (50)
Click to Enlarge 1800 N. Wilson Way - Former Centro-Mart / Country Store (57) / Rolla-toriun Skating Rink / Centromart - then Snyder Lithograph - Photo by Floyd Perry jr.
Click to Enlarge Click to Enlarge Click to Enlarge 1801 N. Wilson Way Stockton Motors/ Former location of Leilani Lane / Hazel's Drive-In in the mid 1940's, Andy's Drive In in 1948 - The ad said: A name on everyone's lips, a popular drive in with delicious food - It later became the Lelani Lane Drive-in / A.W. Swenson Restaurant (50) - Left photo, Floyd Perry jr. Collection
Click to Enlarge 1847 N. Wilson Way - Former Stockton Datsun / Crown Motors - The name changed from Crown Motors to Stockton Nisson just before moving to The Stockton Auto Mall
Click to Enlarge Click to Enlarge 1925 N. Wilson Way - Deluxe Inn / Former Riveria Motel
Click to Enlarge 2160 N. Wilson Way - Knotty Pine Motel
Click to Enlarge Click to Enlarge Click to Enlarge 2211 N. Wilson Way - General Tire - Former Connell Motors  and Rev-a-Lon Restaurant (now The Far East Restaurant)
Click to Enlarge 2353 N. Wilson Way - Mustang's Plus / Former Cal-North Camper & Trailer Center - Terry Gust Collection
Click to Enlarge 2421 N. Wilson Way - Former Stockton Mazda (76)
Click to Enlarge Click to Enlarge 3131 N. Wilson Way -  The Rose Room (1976) / The Swan Tavern (1957-1958) / V.E. Mitchell Liquors (1949-1950) / Frenchy's
Click to Enlarge Click to Enlarge 3161 N. Wilson Way - Sunrise Apartments / Former Stardust Motel (76) / Star Auto Court -  Demolished - Left photo courtesy of Ron Chapman, right photo, Terry Gust
Click to Enlarge 3999 N. Wilson Way - 99 East Drive In Theatre - opened in 1949 as the 99-Drive-in Theatre.  In 1955, the 99 East Drive-In was operated by United California Theatres out of San Francisco. - Some called them passion playgrounds. Drive-in movie theatres contributed to the death of downtown theatres. That's the 99 Speedway on the right. Demolished
South Wilson Way
Click to Enlarge 101 S. Wilson Way - Central Valley Auto Tech / Former Top Filling Station - Texaco
Click to Enlarge 102 South Wilson Way - Knowles - Harold "Ted" Knowles, along with his wife Dena built a tiny Wilson Way gasoline station into a prominent Stockton auto parts and sporting goods retail outlet that bore their name, died in a nearby Lodi hospital at the age of 90. Mr. Knowles along with his wife Dena started the gas station at Wilson & Market Street in 1944. Mr. Knowles soon made his name known for giving away free pumpkins, plastic hood ornaments along with free drinking glasses and windshield trinkets which attached using suction cups. Every now and then he held drawings to win free cars. "He was extremely talented in deciding upon items to promote the gas station," Carl Knowles, his son recalled. "And he liked working with the general public, to be on hand at the station, his specialty, and in later years inside the store. He loved talking with people." - Demolished
Click to Enlarge 240 S. Wilson Way - Flamingo Motel - Demolished for the Crosstown Freeway.
Click to Enlarge 301 S. Wilson Way - Casa Furniture / Former Ali's Market / Sibs / S Misasi Grocery - Left photo by Floyd Perry Jr.
Click to Enlarge 1023 S. Wilson Way - Showcase Theatre - Photo Courtesy of Kevin Shawver
Click to Enlarge Click to Enlarge 1250 S. Wilson Way - International Harvester Plant - The factory was originally owned and operated by the Dyrr Manufacturing Company and was in operation from 1947 to 1971. Products: disk harrows, heavy duty rakes, special west coast tools, carriers, cultivators, farm dozers, moldboard plows, pulverizers, subsoilers and pan breakers, toolbars and combinations - Notice the old Fairgrounds Buildings right against Charter Way. Right photo courtesy of Kevin Shawver
Click to Enlarge 1301-1305 S. Wilson Way - Sunset Motel - Photo courtesy of Ron Chapman

See also

Suggested Books Related to Stockton

External links