Stockton in Vintage Photos - One


 

Disclaimer! Informational page only, I do not sell, lease or manage Commercial Real Estate.

NEW - There are seven pages full of Stockton photos from the 1800s to the 1970s. Photos are of buildings no longer standing or heavily remodeled into something other than shown on these pages.

PLEASE DO NOT COPY THESE PHOTOS AND REPOST THEM ON FACE BOOK PAGES!

Acacia Street - Charter Way

Stockton owes its existence to the efforts of Captain Charles Weber who was born near Homburg. Germany, on February 16. 1814. He had come to America in 1836 when he was twenty-two years old. He settled first in New Orleans. then went to Texas for five years.  However, he suffered a severe illness and his doctors advised a change of climate. Weber decided to visit his uncle who lived in Illinois but he was destined never to arrive there. En route in 1841, he stopped off at St. Louis. There he found the Bidwell-Bartleson Party preparing for their trek to California.

In 1842 Weber passed through the present site of Stockton on his way to San .Jose, While en-route, his eye was caught by the general region.' where Stockton stands. At that time it was called EI de los Franceses, after the French Canadians from the Hudson Bay Company who trapped otter and beaver near the site of what is now French Camp. he saw grass as high as his his horse's head, magnificent shady oaks and numerous water courses, and he realized that it would make excellent cattle country. He then became associated in San Jose with Wiliam Gulnac, a Mexican citizen by marriage and naturalization, in several businesses and persuaded Gulnac to apply for a land grant. In 1843 Guillermo William Gulnac petitioned the government for a grant of eleven square leagues of land lying east of the San Joaquin River Weber joined Gulnac in an effort to occupy the land and ended up buying him out for about $60,00, Gulnac was afraid of the Indians, but Weber never had any Indian problems

In 1847, Weber erected the first structure upon the present site of Stockton, It was a log cabin store, located at what is now the corner of Center Street and Weber Avenue

This page is a work in progress. The photos are a collection of photos from the past or past history. Click any thumbnail and select the play slide show arrow to automatically see the details that are hidden inside of each thumbnail image. Or you can just use the left & right arrows, or the left & right arrows of your keyboard also work once your are in an expanded image.

Acacia Street
Acacia Street
Eden Square Apartments from 46 W. Acacia St
Eden Square Apartments from 46 W. Acacia St
Swett-Moreing Home - 143 W. Acacia St - The California Eastlake style 
(combination of Queen Anne and Eastlake) home was constructed for William Swett in 1883 by San Francisco architects Samuel and Joseph Newsom. Swett was a staff 
member at the Stockton Mail newspaper, and his family lived in the home until it was sold in 1891. Cyrus Moering Sr., a rancher and contractor, purchased the 
home 1898 and lived there until his death in 1911. Moering headed the firm of Cyrus Moreing & Sons, which held many of the largest construction contracts for 
the bond highways in San Joaquin County. Moering was also an elected councilman for the Second Ward, and owned a baseball team. The home is significant because 
it is one of the oldest surviving examples of the Newsoms' work, and retains an essentially original appearance. The home was added to the city register by 
resolution number 39,263 on July 26, 1982. The building still stands.
143 W. Acacia Street - Swett-Moreing Home - 1883
Dr. Cross House - 207 W. Acacia St - Built in 1890 in the popular Queen Anne style 
featuring polygonal bays and a corbelled chimney, this home was both an office plus the residence of Dr. Lester Emmett Cross. This local physician was considered to be Dean 
of Stockton's local medical profession and was affectionately labeled 'Dr. Stork' as it was often said a child was not well born unless Dr. Cross delivered it. - Today it's a 
bed-and-breakfast known as the Old Victorian Inn - Stockton register #85-0597, September 23, 1985
Dr. Cross House - 207 W. Acacia St - Built in 1890
Superintendent's Home - 521 E. Acacia St. - Built in 1900 for the Stockton State 
Hospital at a cost of $5,800. This 16 room home is an excellent example of a southern mansion. The state hospital was established in 1853 as the first publicly supported 
facility for the mentally ill in the west. Located in the Magnolia Historic Preservation District. National Register of Historic Places The home was added to the city 
register by resolution number 29,086 on June 1, 1971
Superintendent's Home - 521 E. Acacia St
525 W. Acacia Street - Dameron Hospital early 1900s
525 W. Acacia Street - Dameron Hospital early 1900s
525 W. Acacia Street - Dameron Hospital 1914
525 W. Acacia Street - Dameron Hospital 1914
525 W. Acacia Street - Dameron Hospital 1965
525 W. Acacia Street - Dameron Hospital 1965

<b>525 W. Acacia St</b> - Dameron Hospital - middle photo 1927, middle photo, 1950s, The main 
	building still stands.
525 W. Acacia Street - Dameron Hospital 1969
Acacia & Lincoln across from - Dameron Hospital - Demolished for a parking lot
Acacia & Lincoln across from - Dameron Hospital
Temple Israel Cemetery - 1110 East Acacia Street between North Pilgrim and 
North Union street. - Inscription - This hallowed ground was donated by Captain Charles M. Weber in 1851 for use as a cemetery by the Jewish community of Stockton. It is the 
oldest Jewish cemetery in continuous use in California and west of the Rocky Mountains. Erected 1961 by The California State Park Commission in cooperation with the Temple 
Israel and the Union of American Hebrew Congregation, December 10, 1961. Marker Number 765.
Temple Israel Cemetery - 1110 East Acacia Street
Dot's Dogs - 186 W. Adams
186 West Adams - Dot's Dogs
Airport Way
Airport & 8th 1960s - Ron Chapman photo
Airport & 8th 1960s - Ron Chapman photo
Airport Way and Eighth St. - 1960s - big Dipper Drive In - Left photo - SPD Archives
Airport & 8th
2141 Airport Way
2141 Airport Way
2141 S. Airport Way Former Red "D" Gas Station - Photos by Ron Chapman - 1960
2141 Airport Way

	2244 Sharpe Lane (S. Airport Way) - Former Gaines Market / Uly's Market (1976) - Demolished - Photo by Ron Chapman
Former Gaines Market/ Uly's Market (1976) - Ron Chapman photo
Airport Flight Deck Cocktails
Airport Flight Deck Cocktails
Airport Metro Room
Airport Metro Room

	5000 S. Airport Way Stockton Metropolitan Airport (IATA: SCK, ICAO: KSCK, FAA LID: SCK) - 5000 S Airport Way - Left photo courtesy of Frank 
	Macias -  Middle photo - Metropolitan Room - Right photo - Flight Deck Cocktails
Airport Lobby
Evvivia - 151 W. Alder / Former Alder Market / The Sugar Plum Evvivia - 151 W. Alder
Alpine Avenue

	2150 West Alpine - Former Centro-Mart #34</b>, Opened in the 1960s Now a Dollar General Market
Centromart 2150 West Alpine

	2211 W. Alpine - Gaines Liquors Moved here from 2231 W. Alpine / Former Ed's Chevron Replaced by a Circle K Food Store. From 1975 through 1977, 
	there was a gift store, a meat market and a Pop Shoppe before the liquor store. Left photo by Ron Chapman, 1977
2211 W. Alpine
Corner of Alpine - 3314 Delaware  - Former Alpine Market / Sibs Market / Gaines Market
Former Gaines Market

	229 E. Alpine - Former Betty's & Gerry's Ice Cream / Murphy's Ice Cream - Photo Courtesy of Ron Chapman<br>
	233 E. Alpine - Zoomba / Former Oak Park Cleaners<br>
	253 E. Alpine - Carniceria La Sierra / Former Alpine Mower & Bike / Oak Park Variety Store
229 E. Alpine
Alpine at 3311 N Sutter - Alpine Mill in the 1930's
Alpine at 3311 N Sutter - Alpine Mill in the 1930's
480 E. Alpine - Former Bill's Shell Service and 3215 N. California Street CIRS - Ron Chapman photo
480 E. Alpine - Former Bill's Shell Service
Alpine and 3212 N. California - Oak Park Inn - Ron Chapman photo
3212 N. California - Former Oak Park Inn - Ron Chapman photo
Amber & Hammer Stockton Fire Department, 1960s
Amber & Hammer - Stockton Fire Department, 1960s
American Street
20-30 N. American St. Former Montgomery Ward  - Floyd Perry Jr. Photo
20-30 N. American St. Former Montgomery Ward - Floyd Perry Jr. Photo

	<b>20-30 N. American St.</b> - Former Montgomery Ward. By 1950, Montgomery Ward & Co. occupied 20-30 North American. The 1950 Sanborn Map 
	shows the owner as Montgomery Ward & Co. - Left photo - Cyndi Bard Riker - Stanislaus Street Entrance - Today it's a parking lot.
20-30 N. American St. Former Montgomery Ward

	19 N. American St. - Hotel Terry and 533-543 E. Main - Built in 1912 - Originally called the Hotel Rex - The building still stands.
19 N. American St. - Hotel Terry and 533-543 E. Main
140 North American Street Former Gaia Delucchi Delicatessen & Grocery Store
140 North American Street Former Gaia Delucchi Delicatessen & Grocery Store
335 N. American - Four Square Church 335 N. American - Four Square Church (1957) / 349 N. American (1942) - Demolished
600 Block of N. American St. - Former El Dorado Brewery
600 Block of N. American St. - Former El Dorado Brewery
600 Block of N. American St. - Former El Dorado Brewery
600 Block of N. American St. - Former El Dorado Brewery

	600 Block of N. American St. - Former El Dorado Brewery - El Dorado Brewing Company was founded by brothers Peter and Daniel Rothenbush in 1853 
	and produced a drink called
600 Block of N. American St. - Former El Dorado Brewery
Original Temple Israel - 821 N. American St
Original Temple Israel - 821 N. American St

	<b>Original Temple Israel - 821 N. American St</b> - Built in 1855 A simple clapboard siding building, it's one of Stockton’s oldest buildings 	and also the oldest 
	surviving synagogue structure in California. Originally constructed near Miner Avenue and El Dorado Street it seated 200 and served surrounding counties. The building 
	was moved to this site in 1905 and converted to apartments. Located in the Magnolia Historic Preservation District. The oldest building on the city register, the 
	building was added to the city register by resolution number 39,264 on July 26, 1982
Original Temple Israel - 821 N. American St
Aurora Street

	<b>33 N. Aurora</b>, Spanos Apartments / Walsh Apartments - Hunter's Creamery and Bakery, 1930 City Directory. The building still stands today. 
	The bottom floor is the home of Memco label systems. The building also has an 844-848 E. Weber - The building stands today
33 N. Aurora - Spanos Apartments / Walsh Apartments
147 N. Aurora - Former George Wolfe Grocer - The building stands today 147 N. Aurora - Former George Wolfe Grocer - The building stands today
Aurora & Lindsay - Gravem-Inglis Bakery
Aurora & Lindsay - Gravem-Inglis Bakery

	<b>347 N. Aurora at Lindsay.</b> / 112 S. Center - In 1902 they were <b>Gravem Brothers Bakery (Retail Store)</b>. By 1920 they had become 
	Gravem-Inglis Bakery. By 1955 they were Gravem-Inglis Sunbeam Baking Co.  - 1900-1915 - left photo - Ken Piper
Aurora & Lindsay - Gravem-Inglis Bakery

	540 N. Aurora St / former Carnation Company / Gloria Ice Cream Company - Demolished and now a parking lot.
540 N. Aurora - former Carnation Company / Gloria Ice Cream Company
Sears Roebuck Building - 620 N. Aurora St - Originally used by the 
Sunset Door and Sash Co., this vernacular style structure is the oldest massive brick industrial complex still standing in Stockton. Remodeled in 1916, it 
became the Sears, Roebuck and Company’s only mail order distribution center in California until 1927. Sears’ extensive stock ranged from baby carriages to 
windmills to feeding molasses. The building was added to the city register by resolution number 86-0274 on May 12, 1986
620 N. Aurora - Sears Roebuck Building
620 N. Aurora - Sears Roebuck Building
620 N. Aurora - Sears Roebuck Building

	<b>620 N. Aurora St - 940 E. Park Street</b>. <b>Sears Roebuck Building</b> - Originally used by the Sunset Door and Sash Co., this vernacular 
	style structure is the oldest massive brick industrial complex still standing in Stockton. Remodeled in 1916, it became the Sears, Roebuck and 
	Company’s only mail order distribution center in California until 1927. Sears’ extensive stock ranged from baby carriages to windmills to 
	feeding molasses. The building was added to the city register by resolution number 86-0274 on May 12, 1986. Top left two photos by Kathy Wetzel, Right photo courtesy of Dan Court.
620 N. Aurora - Sears Roebuck Building
F. Watrous Feed-Sales - Aurora between Main & Market
F. Watrous Feed-Sales - Aurora between Main & Market
35 S. Aurora - Former Althouse Eagal Ford
35 S. Aurora - Former Althouse Eagal Ford
39 South Aurora at Market St - Aurora Welding Works - 1920s
39 South Aurora at Market St - Aurora Welding Works - 1920s
The Stockton Wheel Company
Aurora & Church - Holt Manufacturing - 1915
April 22, 1918, British General Ernest Dunlop Swinton
April 22, 1918, British General Ernest Dunlop Swinton

	<b>527 S. Aurora & Hazelton</b> - Former Engine House Number 6. Holt Manufacturing Company was building caterpillar type tanks for the 
	British Army Tank Corps in the first World War when they arranged a contract with the City of Stockton to build, house, and partial staff a 
	fire company. The contract, initiated on July 27, 1917, specified Holt constructing the house, buying an American La France Auto Pumper, 
	and leasing the items to the city 527 S. Aurora & Hazelton Former Engine House Number 6
946 S. Aurora - JL Kelley Horses & Mules
527 S. Aurora & Hazelton Former Engine House Number 6
1000 Block Aurora & Jefferson - Samson Tractor
1000 Block Aurora & Jefferson - Samson Tractor
1000 Block Aurora & Jefferson - Samson Tractor
1000 Block Aurora & Jefferson - Samson Tractor
1000 Block Aurora & Jefferson - Samson Tractor Office
1000 Block Aurora & Jefferson - Samson Tractor Office
Benjamin Holt
552 W. Benjamin Holt - Former Naughty Nicks
552 W. Benjamin Holt -Naughty Nicks
Bridge Place
B&M Building - 25 Bridge Place
B&M Building - 25 Bridge Place
B&M Building - 25 Bridge Place
B&M Building - 25 Bridge Place. Constructed sometime during the 1860s and 1870s. Read More

B&M Building - 25 Bridge Place

This building which is located close to the head of Stockton's Deepwater Channel, bring to mind memories of bygone commerce when Stockton functioned as the primary depot supplying the Mother Lode gold mines. Featuring hints of Italianate styling, the building is abundant with history going back to the California Gold Rush Era. The name B & M was created during the 1930s for the then owners of the building Joseph Breidenbach & Alexander McDonald. The structure was added to the City of Stockton register by resolution number 40,069, August 29, 1983.
121 Bridge Place - Philadelphia House
121 Bridge Place - Philadelphia House - Built by Joseph Bridenback in 1871
121 Bridge Place - Philadelphia House
121 Bridge Pl. - Sherwood Hotel in 1976 / Mason Hotel (1928)
Channel & Eldorado - Masonic Temple
Bridge & Eldorado - Former Masonic Temple
California Street

	<b>11 N. California St.</b> - Hotel Main / Hotel MacAllister - This building is present on the 1895,1917 and 1950 Stockton Sanborn Maps. The 
	Stockton City Directory lists the Hotel MacAllister at this address in 1919. By 1925, the name was changed to the Hotel Main, and remained as 
	such through 1950. It later became residential apartments with several commercial spaces below.
11 N. California St. - Hotel Main / Hotel MacAllister
21 - Walt's Tavern / Now a parking lot
25 - California Clothiers - Now a parking lot
29 - Furhman Music - Now a parking lot
31 - Howard's Jewelers - Now a parking Lot
19 N. California - Former Pioneer Tomale
19 N. California - Former Pioneer Tomale
19 N. California - Former Pioneer Tomale
19 N. California - Former Pioneer Tomale
19 N. California - Former Pioneer Tomale
19 N. California - Former Pioneer Tomale

	<b>24-34 N. California</b> - Land Hotel - The building appears on the 1917 and 1950 Sanborn maps. This structure was constructed in the late. 
	1890s by the Arndt family, who were active in local business. The building was the home to the St9Ckton Record newspaper until 1911. The second 
	floor was known for many years as the Palace Rooms. There is no listing of this address in Stockton City Directories until 1905, when it was 
	known as the Wakefield House. The name. changed to Hotel Wakefield in 1919, then became the Dawson Hotel by 1935. By 1940, the address was 
	listed as the New Cal Hotel and L A Danner Prints.  Trocadero Tavern. Demolished September 2012
	28 - The Record Shop - Demolished (in the former Land Hotel)
Land Hotel 1960 photo courtesy of Bank of Stockton Historical Photograph Collection
Hotel St. Leo - 33 N. California
Hotel St. Leo - 33 N. California
Hotel St. Leo - 33 N. California
Hotel St. Leo - 33 N. California

	46 N. California - H.C. Shaw Company - Photo courtesy of Floyd Perry Jr. The building is still there, but heavily stuccoed over - Left photo 
	California Street on the south side of the H.C. Shaw building
46 N. California - H.C. Shaw Company

	<b>108 N. California St. </b>- Corner of Weber. - Humphreys College / Humphreys School of Business - 1930s & 1940s -  Today a bank 
	sits on this corner
Humphreys College / Humphreys School of Business - 108 North California Street

	<b>115-121 N. California St.</b> - William P. Miller Carriage Manufacturing - <b>Entire northern portion of the block demolished for the 
	RTD</b>. This remnant of a larger carriage manufacturing complex is important its association with William Payson Miller. Miller was a 
	prominent citizen and businessman who established one of Stockton's oldest carriage· factories: Miller originally repaired and manufactured the 
	large freight wagons, known as the
William P. Miller Carriage Manufacturing - 115-121 North California Street

	<b>115-121 N. California St.</b> - William P. Miller Carriage Manufacturing - <b>Entire northern portion of the block demolished for the 
	RTD</b>. This remnant of a larger carriage manufacturing complex is important its association with William Payson Miller. Miller was a 
	prominent citizen and businessman who established one of Stockton's oldest carriage· factories: Miller originally repaired and manufactured the 
	large freight wagons, known as the
William P. Miller Carriage Manufacturing - 115-121 North California Street
128 N. California - E.F. Williams - Wood Coal and Hay
128 N. California - E.F. Williams - Wood Coal and Hay
135 N. California St. - J.N. Harrison & Sons Grocery - 1915
135 N. California St. - J.N. Harrison & Sons Grocery - 1915

<b>California & Channel</b> - NE corner - Grand Central Hotel - The large structure at the top - late 1800s-early 1900s
California & Channel - NE corner - Grand Central Hotel

<b>California & Channel</b> - NE corner - Grand Central Hotel - late 1800s-early 1900s
California & Channel - NE corner - Grand Central Hotel
California & Channel - Stockton Business College - Floyd Perry Jr. photo 1987

California & Channel - Stockton Business College - Floyd Perry Jr. photo 1987
California & Channel - Stockton Business College
California & Channel - Stockton Business College
California & Channel - SE corner Stockton Business College (1891)
California & Channel - SE corner Stockton Business College (1891)
212 N. California - Vacant lot - Former Selma Apartments (1925-1940)
212 N. California - Vacant lot - Former Selma Apartments (1925-1940)
222-230 N. California - Pike's Furniture Store - Constructed in 1924
222-230 N. California - Pike's Furniture Store - Constructed in 1924

	<b>222-230 N. California</b> - Pike's Furniture Store - Constructed in 1924, and appears on the 1950 Stockton Sanborn Map. The first occupant 
	of the building was the Pike's Furniture Store. By 1940, Matteoni's Liquors is listed at this address. By 1950, the California Furniture Company 
	occupied the space, which was converted into the Anglo California National Bank by 1955. By 1960, the space changed hands again and was used as the 
	County Assessors' offices. It is currently the San Joaquin Valley Dental Group. - Right photo - Terry Gust
222-230 N. California - Matteoni's Restaurant - Constructed in 1924
240 N. California - California AutoTech / Former Contenintal Trailways (1957) / Western Auto Supply (1930-1940)
240 N. California - California AutoTech
322 N. California St.</b> - Previously The Downtown Motel - Building Still Standing - Center photo by Ron Chapman
322 N. California St. - Previously The Downtown Motel - photo by Ron Chapman
602 N. California St. - Former Tolbert Mobilegas
602 N. California St. - Former Tolbert Mobilegas - Left photo posted by Kevin Shawver
630 N. California St - Morris Brothers / Former Dawson's Van & Storage
630 N. California St - Former Dawson's Van & Storage Garage Entrance
630 N. California St - Morris Brothers / Former Dawson's Van & Storage garage entrance
630 N. California St - Morris Brothers / Former Dawson's Van & Storage
702 N. California - Cal-Park Liquors / Frank's Package Liquors / Hans Peterson Grocer (1940
702 N. California - Cal-Park Liquors
702 N. California - Cal-Park Liquors / Frank's Package Liquors / Hans Peterson Grocer (1940) - Left photo Kevin Shawver, middle photo, Ron Chapman
702 N. California - Cal-Park Liquors
1420 N. California - Former State Armory - Photo courtesy of Ron Chapman
1420 N. California - Former State Armory - Photo courtesy of Ron Chapman
1420 N. California - Former State Armory - Photo courtesy of Ron Chapman
1420 N. California - Former State Armory - Photo courtesy of Ron Chapman.

	1521 N. California  - Shower's Hot Dog Stand - Shower's Frosty Ice Cream - Demolished. - Left Photo courtesy of Ron Chapman - On the right, Not any ordinary parking 
	lot. This was the former George's Drive In at 1521 North California St. In 1957 / 1958 /1959 Shower's Frosty Ice Cream and Shower's Hot Dog Stand in the back was located 
	here
1521 N. California - Former George's Drive Inn
1800 N. California - St Josephs Hospital / St Josephs Home
1800 N. California - St Josephs Hospital / St Josephs Home
1800 N. California - St Josephs Hospital / St Josephs Home
1800 N. California - St Josephs Hospital / St Josephs Home
1800 N. California - St Josephs Hospital / St Josephs Home
1800 N. California - St Josephs Hospital / St Josephs Home
1800 N. California - St Josephs Hospital / St Josephs Home
1800 N. California - St Josephs Hospital / St Josephs Home

	1800 N. California - St Josephs Hospital / St Josephs Home.
1800 N. California - St Josephs Hospital / St Josephs Home
Former Street Car Barns and Offices - 2850 N. California Street
Former Street Car Barns and Offices - 2850 N. California Street
2101 N. California Street, 1935
2101 N. California Street, 1935

	<b - Street Car Barns and Offices - 2850 N. California Street.</b> Built in 1907 The first Stockton built 10 horsepower electric streetcars 
	were introduced in 1892 to replace horse and mule drawn trolleys used since 1875. The Stockton Electric Railroad Co. built the Streetcar Barns 
	and Office Complex in 1907 and utilized this facility until 1941 after which gasoline powered motor coaches served as the primary mode of 
	public transportation. 	The building was added to the city register by resolution number 85-0307 on May 13, 1985. The building stands today as 
	a grocery store
Former Street Car Barns and Offices - 2850 N. California Street

	<b>18 S. California St</b>, just south of Main, late 1930s. visible are Berg's Clothiers, the Fan Club & Cigar Store, Wale's Candy and Ice 
	Cream, Stockton Printing, and Peffer Music and Home Furnishings. The tower on the roof is the broadcast antenna for KDGM. Photo courtesy of 
	Kevin Shawver - The building stands today although heavily remodeled.
18 S. California Street
21 S. California - Scott's Stationary - Demolished
21 S. California - Scott's Stationary - Demolished
California and Market - Keyes House
California and Market - Keyes House
220-222 S. California - Torsean- Body Works - 1910
220-222 S. California - Torsean- Body Works - 1910
220-222 S. California - Torsean- Body Works - 1918
220-222 S. California - Torsean- Body Works
247 S. California - Claremont Apartments - 1920s - Demolished for Crosstown Freeway
247 S. California - Claremont Apartments - 1920s
1420 S. California - Former Lucky's Milk and Ice Cream - Photo courtesy of Ron Chapman
1420 S. California - Former Lucky's Milk and Ice Cream - Photo courtesy of Ron Chapman
840 S. Cardinal Ave - Elmwood Elementary School
840 S. Cardinal Ave - Elmwood Elementary School

	840 S. Cardinal Ave - Elmwood Elementary School - Originally the Charity Dale District opened with a wooden schoolhouse in 1866. Photo is the 
	front of a two room Elmwood School taken in the winter of 1920-21. The building was razed in 1954, although replaced by a new building in 1949. 
	A wooden auxiliary building was divided into two classrooms located at the south end of the grounds. last used for storage.
840 S. Cardinal Ave - Elmwood Elementary School
Center Street
Colemans Center and El Dorado 1930s
Center & El Dorado - Colemans - 1930s
13 North Center - Leland House / Leland Rooms - Demolished in West End Redevelopment - Ron Chapman photo
13 North Center - Leland House / Leland Rooms - Ron Chapman photo
Center & Levee
Center & Levee
Center & Levee - Russ House - Left photo - Ron Chapman - right photo - Kevin Shawver
Center & Levee - Russ House Ron Chapman, Kevin Shawver
205 - Weber Point showing The Holiday Inn, Holiday Gulf Station, 1962 - all Demolished
205 - Weber Point Holiday Inn, Holiday Gulf Station
221 N. Center - Holiday Inn - Demolished
221 N. Center - Holiday Inn - Demolished
221 N. Center - Holiday Inn - Demolished
221 N. Center - Holiday Inn - Demolished - Left photo, Scott Herring
235 N. Center - Chili Pepper Restaurant - Behind the Holiday Inn
235 N. Center - Chili Pepper Restaurant - Behind the Holiday Inn
235 N. Center - Chili Pepper Restaurant - Behind the Holiday Inn
235 N. Center - Chili Pepper Restaurant - Behind the Holiday Inn
Stockton Memorial Civic Auditorium Under Construction
Stockton Memorial Civic Auditorium Under Construction
Stockton Memorial Civic Auditorium - 525 N. Center St
Stockton Memorial Civic Auditorium - 525 N. Center St

<525 N. Center St, Stockton Memorial Civic Auditorium. Built 1924-1925. A classic revival style building designed by local architects Glenn Allen, Ivan C. Satterlee and 
	W. J. Wright features sculpted panels over the seven front entrances. A floor of California marble and an art glass skylight in the center of the flat dome. Stocktonians 
	conducted bond drives to fund construction of the memorial auditorium to honor those who gave their lives while serving in the armed forces in World War I.
Stockton Memorial Civic Auditorium - 525 N. Center St
First Church of Christ Scientist - 801 N. Center St - The first 
	services were held on November 25, 1928 in this Grecian-ionic church designed by local architect Glenn Allen. The classical interior seats 1000 and features a leaded 
	glass skylight centered in the dome, inlaid mahogany paneling and curly birch pews. Foyer details include bronze light fixtures and gold leaf accents. The Stockton 
	Record deemed it a 'Beautiful Edifice' upon completion in 1928. Added to the city register by resolution number 95-0107 on March 20, 1995
First Church of Christ Scientist - 801 N. Center St.

	1200 N. Center St - Odd Fellows IOOF Hall, built in 1935. It was originally constructed as the office for the California Department of Public 
	Works Highway Division. In the 50's & 60's it was the AAA auto club office. The building still stands.
1200 N. Center St - Odd Fellows IOOF Hall, built in 1935
South Center - Mostly Demolished in the West End Redevelopment
Occidental Hotel (center) and Weber House (foreground), ca. 1875
Occidental Hotel (center) and Weber House (foreground), ca. 1875

	SW Corner Center and Main Streets Occidental Hotel (center) and Weber House (foreground), ca. 1875
SW Corner Center and Main Streets Occidental Hotel
Center & Main - Looking at Main Street - 1880s
Center & Main - Looking at Main Street - 1880s
Occidental Hotel (center) and Weber House (foreground), ca. 1875
Occidental Hotel center and Weber

	7 S. Center Street - Hotel Weber / Weber House - SW Corner Center and Main Streets - The Weber House was Stockton's best and finest hotel for 
	nearly twenty years. It was a three-story brick building with 150 rooms, erected in 1853 at a cost of $50,000 by Dr. R. K. Reid and J. M. 
	Warner. On December 1st it was opened by W. W. Warner. A banquet was given that evening with Captain Weber as toastmaster, and a large company 
	enjoyed the feast. The building was heavily mortgaged to John Dillon, and was soon in the sheriff's hands. On March 20, 1855, it was bid in by 
	the mortgagee for $12,000. Colonel Manning leased the building in 1855, in 1858 Dillon & Gross conducted it, and in 1860 Gorham & Sperry took 
	charge. The Occidental Hotel is the center building on the right photo. Demolished in West End Redevelopment
Weber House - Center Street - 1860s
	33-35 S. Center - Liberty Theatre / Royal Theatre <br>
	29  S. Center - Shueng Loy Cafe 27 S. Center - Zieglers / Panama Inn Tavern	<br>
	25 S. Center - Hotel Los Angeles <br>
	All Demolished in West End Redevelopment. Photo courtesy of Larry Arroyo
33-35 S. Center, 29 S. Center, 25 S. Center
27 S. Center St. - Zieglers / Panama Inn Tavern
27 S. Center St. - Zieglers / Panama Inn Tavern
33-35 S. Center - Liberty Theatre / Royal Theatre
33-35 S. Center - Liberty Theatre / Royal Theatre
103 S. Center - U.S. Hotel & Centromart - 1964
103 S. Center - U.S. Hotel - 1964 Ron Chapman photo
Centro-Mart - 111 South Center - Demolished
Centro-Mart - 111 South Center - Demolished
11-117 South Center - Centro-Mart - Demolished - today, it's the Greyhound Bus Depot location
111-117 South Center - Centro-Mart -  today, it's the Greyhound Bus Depot location
139 S. Center - Roley's Chevron / Mandarin Market - Ron Chapman photo - Demolished in West End Redevelopment
139 S. Center - Roley's Chevron / Mandarin Market
Center and Washington - Franklin School
Center and Washington - Franklin School

	Center and Washington - Franklin School - West side of Center between Washington and Lafayette - For a long time the board of education discussed 
	the building of a schoolhouse and in August, 1858, they concluded that they had sufficient money and by a vote they selected a lot on Center 
	and Washington streets as the location, and October 14 work was commenced. The building then constructed stood on the Franklin school lot, 
	having been in constant use up to 1900. It was a substantial building of brick, two stories high and containing two large rooms as well as 
	cloak rooms, a model building for that time. With the completion of the building, the public schools were housed beneath a roof of their own. 
	The joy of the event was considered worthy of a public demonstration. On February 25, 1859, the change to the new building was made amid much 
	rejoicing, the boys to whom the good fortune fell of occupying the new building, marched to their new home  - Demolished
Center and Washington - Franklin School
228 S. Center - Colombo Hotel - Demolished in West End Redevelopment
228 S. Center - Colombo Hotel - Demolished in West End Redevelopment
230 S. Center - Centro Hotel
230 S. Center - Centro Hotel
324 S. Center - Arroyo's Cafe
324 S. Center - Arroyo's Cafe
324 S. Center - Arroyo's Cafe / Former Acme Auto Parts - Left Photo Courtesy of Larry Arroyo. Right Photo courtesy of Floyd Perry Jr
324 S. Center - Arroyo's Cafe / Former Acme Auto Parts 
401 S. Center - Stockton Rescue Mission / Nippon Hotel - Demolished in West End Redevelopment
401 S. Center - Stockton Rescue Mission / Nippon Hotel

	403 S. Center St. - San Joaquin County Historical Society and Museum photo, Taken in front of Gaetano Alegretti's grocery and saloon at 403 S. 
	Center Street. Alegretti opened his store in 1869 and was a gathering place for new immigrants. He was often asked to write letters home for 
	those who couldn't write because he was fluent in English, French, and Spanish. Pictured at left is A.P. Giannini, founder of the Bank of 
	Italy (now Bank of America).
Gaetano Alegretti's grocery and saloon at 403 S. Center
410 S. Center St - Dayton Cyclery 1915 Dayton Motorcycle - This copy hangs in The 
Genova Bakery. I was told the the 3rd guy from the left is Angelo Rolleri, Genova Bakery founder
410 S. Center St - Dayton Cyclery 1915 Dayton Motorcycle
443 S. Center St. 443 S. Center St.
1203 S. Center St. - Former Huck's Drive Inn & Huckins Mobile Gas
1203 S. Center St. - Former Huck's Drive Inn & Huckins Mobile Gas
1203 S. Center St. - Former Huck's Drive Inn & Huckins Mobile Gas
1203 S. Center St. - Former Huck's Drive Inn & Huckins Mobile Gas

	1203 S. Center St. - Former Huck's Drive Inn & Huckins Mobile Gas (1959) - Still in the 1976 Directory / Hucks Frost Top Restaurant - 
	Huckings Tourist Camp - Left photo - Nicola Mclachlin
1203 S. Center St. - Former Huck's Drive Inn & Huckins Mobile Gas
1335 S. Center - C.A. Jensen's Shoe Repair
1335 S. Center - C.A. Jensen's Shoe Repair - Late 1800s - Early 1900s

	1425 S. Center - Thomas Alva Edison High School - Opened in 1941 at what is now the corner of Charter Way, now called Dr. Martin Luther King 
	Jr. Blvd, and Center Street. It is named after the American Inventor Thomas Edison. The campus has been expanded through the years, with the 
	addition of major classroom buildings and a library in the 1970s. and new classroom additions for the 2013-14 school year.
1425 S. Center - Thomas Alva Edison High School
Center and Eldorado Streets looking North - 1930s
Center and Eldorado Streets looking North - 1930s
Channel Street
State of California Office Building - 31 E. Channel
State of California Office Building - 31 E. Channel

	31 E. Channel - State of California office building. (center and far right) Completed in 1964 on the site of the former Cornithian building. 
	(Left) The Corinthian  was Stockton's second theatre - Charles Weber and Richard Hammond constructed this building in 1850 on the north 
	shore between Center and El Dorado Streets. The building served as the town meeting hall, theatre and restaurant.
Cornethian Building - 31 E. Channel

	25 East Channel street</b>. The building was directed in 1863 for the use of the
25 East Channel Street
Channel & Eldorado - Busalacchi Fish Market - (1947)
31 E. Channel - Busalacchi Fish Market - (1947)
Channel & Hunter - Kevin Shawver
Channel & Hunter - Kevin Shawver
Channel & Hunter St and Philadelphia House - 205 Bridge St. - Pioneer Coal - 315 North Hunter - 1880s
Channel & Hunter St and Philadelphia House - 205 Bridge St. 1880s
191-193 East Channel</b> - Europa Hotel & Weber Fire Department - 1880s
191-193 East Channel - Europa Hotel & Weber Fire Department - 1880s
Channel and San Joaquin - Columbia House
Channel and San Joaquin - Columbia House
419 E. Channel - Stockton Auto Garage - 1909 419 E. Channel - Stockton Auto Garage - 1909
Ambassador Hotel</b> - Channel & Sutter looking NE- Building still stands - Photo courtesy of Ron Chapman
Ambassador Hotel - Channel & Sutter looking NE, Ron Chapman photo
Charter Way
147 E. Charter Way - Former Don's Drive Inn / J's Burgers / Mandy's Burgers
147 E. Charter Way - Former Don's Drive Inn / J's Burgers / Mandy's Burgers
147 E. Charter Way - Former Don's Drive Inn / J's Burgers / Mandy's Burgers
47 E. Charter Way - Don's Drive Inn / J's Burgers / Mandy's Burgers -  Ron Chapman photo
147 E. Charter Way - Former Don's Drive Inn / J's Burgers / Mandy's Burgers
147 E. Charter Way - Former Don's Drive Inn / J's Burgers / Mandy's Burgers
202 E. Charter Way - Former Foster's Old Fashion Freeze - Demolished to expand Bank of America
202 E. Charter Way - Former Foster's Old Fashion Freeze
207 E. Charter Way - Former Toppers Drive Inn - SPD Archive photo - Today,  parking lot (1957)
207 E. Charter Way - Former Toppers Drive Inn - SPD Archive photo
207 E. Charter Way - Former Toppers Drive Inn - SPD Archive photo - Today,  parking lot (1957)
207 E. Charter Way - Former Toppers Drive Inn - SPD Archive photo
207 E. Charter Way - Former Toppers Drive Inn - SPD Archive photo - Today, a parking lot (1957)
207 E. Charter Way - Former Toppers Drive Inn - SPD Archive photo
210 E. Charter - Bank of America - Former Foster's Freeze was on the corner Ron Chapman photo
210 E. Charter - Bank of America - Former Foster's Freeze location - Ron Chapman photo
230 E. Charter Way - El Jaliciense Meat Market / Former Bel-Air Market / Stetson's Market / Dicks Market - Ron Chapman photo
230 E. Charter Way - El Jaliciense Meat Market - Ron Chapman photo

	Charter Way and San Joaquin looking West - Photo Charter Way and San Joaquin looking east 1950s - courtesy of Kevin Shavwer
Charter Way and San Joaquin looking West - Kevin Shavwer
Former Safeway 349 East Charter Way
Former Safeway 349 East Charter Way

	<b>348 E. Charter Way</b> - <b>Los Primos Market </b> / Former Safeway - 1930-1950 - Tony G's Cocktail Lounge<br>
	350 E. Charter - Luna's Fashion / Meyer Paint Store
Former Safeway 349 East Charter Way
401 E. Charter Way Gaby's Cafe / Former John's Coffee Shop (1976)- Former Myrtle's Waffle Shop
401 E. Charter Way - Gaby's Cafe
608 E. Charter Way - Beto's Mexican Restaurant / Former Taco Bell
608 E. Charter Way
- Beto's Mexican Restaurant / Former Taco Bell

	700-702 E. Charter - Furniture Store / Former Donald Hillcock Dentist / 
	<p>700 - Former Square Electric Co<br>
	702 Former Subway Tavern / Former Vlassie Constantino Liquors 700-702 E. Charter - Furniture Store / Former Donald Hillcock Dentist
Charter Way Underpass - 1937
Charter Way Underpass looking East. 1937

	Charter Way and 1409 S. Airport Way - Former Horse Shoe Club - left photo courtesy of Kevin Shawver
Charter Way and 1409 S. Airport Way - Former Horse Shoe Club
1333 E. Charter Way - Stockton Motor Inn / Former Motel Lodge
1333 E. Charter Way - Stockton Motor Inn / Former Motel Lodge
Charter And Wilson Way looking East - 1934
Charter And Wilson Way looking East - 1934
Charter And Wilson Way looking West - 1934
Charter And Wilson Way looking West - 1934
Charter Way Detention Center
Charter Way Detention Center
1747 E. Charter Way - Al Labrucherie, Diamond T Trucks
1747 E. Charter Way - Al Labrucherie, Diamond T Trucks
Charter Way West - Cherokee Rd. - Clay St.

	Constructed by Drs. Clark and Langdon on the southeast corner of the intersection of Center and South streets (now Charter Way) and originally 
	named the Pacific Insane Asylum (also referred to as the Pacific Hospital), this institution cared for Nevada and Arizona patients as well as 
	private individuals. It was opened in September, 1877. Today it is the site of the Edison Senior High School campus.
Pacific Insane Asylum SE corner of Center and Charter Way
310 W. Charter - Former Safeway / Centro-Mart - Now a Dollar General Market

310 W. Charter - Former Safeway / Centro-Mart - Now a Dollar General Market
310 W. Charter - Former Safeway / Centro-Mart - Now a Dollar General Market
310 W. Charter - Former Safeway / Centro-Mart - Now a Dollar General Market
310 W. Charter - Former Safeway / Centro-Mart - Now a Dollar General Market 310 W. Charter - Former Safeway / Centro-Mart - Now a Dollar General Market
530 W. Charter Way - Charter Way Friendship Inn
530 W. Charter Way - Charter Way Friendship Inn
1850 Cherokee Road - Glen McGill Motorcycles
1850 Cherokee Road - Glen McGill Motorcycles
3645 Cherokee Road - Garvey's Restaurant
3645 Cherokee Road - Garvey's Restaurant

	<b>Wong K. Gew Mansion - 345 W. Clay</b></b>- Designed by architect Peter Sala and constructed in a Classical Neo-Georgian style (1900-24) by 
	Losekann & Clowdsley, the home was one of the most costly in Stockton by the time it was completed in 1921.
Wong K. Gew Mansion - 345 W. Clay
Read More

	<b>Nippon Hospital - 25 S. Commerce</b> - Built in a Classical Revival style with gable crowns, colored brick, and classic Greek architecture, 
	the two-story, 4864 square-foot structure was constructed in 1919 in response to the inadequate care that Japanese people received during an 
	influenza outbreak the previous year. Named for the Japanese word for 'Japan,' the hospital featured 30 hospital rooms, a surgery suite, and 
	an ethnic kitchen. Due to its central location within the Japanese area of Stockton, as well as racial discrimination from Chinese and non-
	Asians elsewhere, the hospital catered exclusively to Stockton's Japanese population of approximately 4,300 - one of the largest in the United 
	States. The hospital incorporated in 1922, and reorganized in 1925, only to close its doors in 1930 due to financial matters. The building was 
	later used as the Hotel Bryant until 1978, when the Stockton City Council placed it on the historical landmark list by resolution number 35,548 
	on August 28, 1978. As the building itself is the only remaining structure from the early Japanese community in Stockton, it was also listed 
	on the National Register of Historic Places as #78000762 on September 18, 1978
Bryant Hotel until 1978 - Former Nippon Hospital - 25 S. Commerce

See also

External links

Suggested Books Related to Stockton