Stockton - South San Joaquin Street Now and Then


 

Disclaimer! Informational page only, I do not sell, lease or manage Commercial Real Estate.

Over the last ten years, Stockton has attempted to address the issues affecting disinvestment downtown and wrestled with finding solutions. Many studies have been commissioned to analyze the market and develop strategies to revitalize downtown, and some gains have been made. Most recently the Downtown Alliance, a business improvement district scheduled to begin operation in January 1998 was established. However, with the California recession of the early 1990s and the complexity of the issues facing downtown, a workable strategy has not emerged to meet the scale of the challenge.

Nonetheless, it is clear that downtown Stockton offers much to build upon. Excellent highway access and visibility; the availability of vacant waterfront sites and large parcels to accommodate new development; and an impressive historic building stock, including the landmark Hotel Stockton, are just some of the physical assets the panel identified immediately. In addition, downtown Stockton has a concentration of government jobs, financial institutions, and public and private city leadership interested in the downtown.

South San Joaquin Street from 00 East Main Street
Click for North San Joaquin Street

Click for Main Street

Click for Main Street
Click to Enlarge Click to Enlarge Click to Enlarge Click to Enlarge 11 S. San Joaquin - California Building - Built in 1917 for the former Farmers and Merchants Bank. The building is the work of prominent San Francisco Architect George W. Kelham. With almost no exterior changes it exemplifies renaissance revival style and reflects early local interest in building skyscrapers. A granite and brick building, it's listed in the National Register of Historic Places. National register #1980000850
13 1/2 S. San Joaquin St. -  Pete's Cigar Store
Click to Enlarge 15-31 S. San Joaquin - These buildings appear on the 1917 and 1950 Sanborn maps. There is no listing in Stockton City Directories until 1930, at which point several of the storefronts were noted as vacant, and one was occupied by Powell & Keller Opticians . . By 1940, the building was listed as the Central Building, with three lawyer's offices and an accountant. By 1950, the County Probation Office, a beauty shop, an accountant, and a real estate office were all located here. The buildings maintain. a wide variety of commercial and office uses on both floors.
Click to Enlarge Click to Enlarge 15 - Rose Barber Shop
17 S. San Joaquin - Freitas Music
19 S. San Joaquin - Ambrose Fillipi Real Estate / Former Angelini and Ferrari Liquors  Gian's Deli (1967-1976)
21 - Carr Building

When I was growing up, Freitas Music was located at 101 S. San Joaquin through 1959. This entire block was demolished and by 1960, Freitas Music relocated to 45 S. San Joaquin. By 1966, they had a 2nd location at 311 E. Market (former location of George's Bluenote Music).

By 1967 Nestor Freitas relocated again to 17 S. San Joaquin, the last location before completely closing. They were still listed in the 1976 directory at this location.

Click to Enlarge Click to Enlarge 23-25 S. San Joaquin St. - Central Building
29 - Dorothy & Mabel's Beauty Salon
Click to Enlarge 26 S. San Joaquin St - Former California Pacific Title Co.
30 S. San Joaquin St - Former Donovan's Smart Shop
Click to Enlarge31 S. San Joaquin St.
Click to Enlarge 33 S. San Joaquin - Club Inn - Appearing on the 1917 and 1950 Stockton Sanborn maps. The first listing in Stockton City Directories was in 1917, for 'The Ideal," which was noted as the Ideal Hotel by 1919, and remained so through at least 1950. By 1930, Gross Brothers Cigars had opened on the ground floor. By 1940, the cigar store had relocated and the Owl Club Inn, a bar, had opened at this location. That business has since closed, but the sign, in the shape of an owl with a martini on its head, remains.
33- Owl Cafe - 1957
33 1/2 Dale Hotel Lodgings
Click to Enlarge Click to Enlarge Click to Enlarge 34 S. San Joaquin - Fair Hotel - 1917 Hotel Dale.- Middle photo: Jocelyn's Flowers and Gifts is missing (the white painted area past the Hotel Fair sign) since the last photo. You can see all the way to Weber Avenue
Click to Enlarge 35 S. San Joaquin St. - Lucky Cafe / Former San Joaquin Cafe
36 S. San Joaquin St. - Stockton Land Loan & Building Association
39 S. San Joaquin St. - Wantabe Photography Studio
40 -
41 S. San Joaquin St. - Delta Apartments
Click to Enlarge 43-47 S San Joaquin - The building first appeared in the 1917 Sanborn Map. By 1930, Stockton City Directories listed a cigar store, restaurant, and San Joaquin Drug Company, one of the oldest local pharmacies, was in this building. It later served as a central market place, with such businesses as Schroeder Meats and Toncondos Fruits, as well as the Port of Stockton Market. The building maintains retail uses on the ground floor and residences above. This building appears to have been heavily altered and is covered in a stucco finish.
45 S. San Joaquin St. - Stockton Bible House
47 S. San Joaquin St. - San Joaquin Cleaners
47 1/2 S. San Joaquin St. - Cisco's Shine Stand
48 S. San Joaquin St. - Central Drug Co
Click to Enlarge 00 Block of S. San Joaquin - Entire east side
Click to Enlarge 00 Block of S. San Joaquin - entire west side
Click to Enlarge Click to Enlarge San Joaquin St - 00 Block between Main and Market. Left photo First Presbyterian Church. Right photo from left to right, the Hale building, First Presbyterian Church and LaFayette Grammar School. Xochomilco restaurant is located about where the church was. early 1900s. The building at the right are The Rosenbaum Building and The Crawford Building. Both were demolished to build the Farmers and Merchants Bank.
South San Joaquin Street - Market Street Intersects
Click for Market Street
101 S. San Joaquin St. - Freitas Music - Moved to 17 S. San Joaquin - Demolished for parking garage
Click to Enlarge 102 S. San Joaquin St. - San Joaquin County Human Services Agency
Click to Enlarge 105 S. San Joaquin - County Veterans Services
109 1/2 Troy Rooms - Demolished
112 - Cozy Rooms
114 - Blanchard Paints
119 - N. Sweet & Sons
120-148 - M. Corren & Sons
135 - San Joaquin Pharmacy
Click to Enlarge San Joaquin looking North from Washington - Ron Chapman photo 111-119 S. San Joaquin, Nathan Sweet Furniture.
S San Joaquin St - Cross Town Freeway Intersects
206 S. San Joaquin - Belmont Hotel - Demolished
Click to EnlargeSouth San Joaquin Meat Market and Ice Depot, 208 S. San Joaquin St., 1930s
248 S. San Joaquin - Joe's Mexico City Cafe - Demolished
Click to Enlarge Click to Enlarge Click to Enlarge Click to Enlarge
Click to Enlarge 309 S. San Joaquin - SW Corner of Lafayette - Quan Ying Building / Former Salvation Army / Former Citadel Hotel
Click to Enlarge Click to Enlarge 302 S. San Joaquin St. - Stockton Poultry Market
Click to Enlarge Click to Enlarge 315 S. San Joaquin - Location of the former Hotel Rex - Demolished
Click to Enlarge Click to Enlarge 318-320 S. San Joaquin -
320 S. San Joaquin - Commercial Refrigeration Service
Click to Enlarge Click to Enlarge 319 S. San Joaquin St. Wing Fung Market -
321 S. San Joaquin - Wong Family Benevolent Association
Left photo 319 S. San Joaquin St. - Former R&P Convenience Store
Click to Enlarge 321 S. San Joaquin - Wong Family Benevolent Association
Click to Enlarge 329 S. San Joaquin - Deluxe Bakery - Demolished
331 S. San Joaquin - Pyramid Market - Demolished
335 S. San Joaquin - Nixon Hotel Lodgings - Demolished
337 S. San Joaquin - Fong Suey Lungs Herbs - Demolished
Click to Enlarge Click to Enlarge Click to Enlarge 343 S. San Joaquin - Cosmos Hotel / Former Basconia Hotel Lodgings
Click to Enlarge Click to Enlarge 344-348 S. San Joaquin - NE corner of Sonora - Marrs Association. Former occupants include:
344 - French Curtain Laundry
346 - Apartments 348 - Acme Cleaners
Click to Enlarge 347 S. San Joaquin NW corner of Sonora - Old Pearless Inn (1976)
S San Joaquin St - Sonora Street Intersects
Click to Enlarge Trolley at the 400 Block of S. San Joaquin St
Click to Enlarge Click to Enlarge Click to Enlarge 403 S. San Joaquin  - California Hotel -- Alustiza's California Hotel Buffet - Left Photo by Floyd Perry Jr. - Still standing, but closed
Click to Enlarge 423 S. San Joaquin - Edna Gleason House. Edna Gleason (1886-1963) was a Stockton native, a self-taught pharmacist who became the first woman licensed pharmacist to own her own business and was in the drug store business from 1915-1961. In 1933 she became the first woman elected President of the California Pharmaceutical Association. In 1951 (for twelve years) she became Stockton’s first City Councilwoman. Edna Gleason claimed that ‘Stockton had done a great deal for her and she was going to work for the best interest of the people of Stockton.’ She championed the cause of the underdog throughout her lifetime and was a humanitarian; expending her wealth and energies to benefit and assist members of Stockton who needed a helping hand in times of trouble and stress. In 1975 Gleason Park was dedicated in her honor just blocks from her home.
Click to Enlarge 445 S. San Joaquin - Fraser Air Conditioning
Click to Enlarge 502 S. San Joaquin - S&J Market / Former South San Joaquin Market (1957)
Click to Enlarge Click to Enlarge 510 S. San Joaquin -
Click to Enlarge Click to Enlarge 518 S. San Joaquin
S San Joaquin St - Hazelton Avenue Intersects
724 - Reno's Club Tavern
Santa Fe Depot 735 S. San Joaquin St - Santa Fe Depot (Amtrak) - Built in 1900, Santa Fe railway acquired its route from Bakersfield Stockton from the San Francisco – San Joaquin Valley railroad known locally as the Valley road. This line, when completed in 1898 was the only railroad competing with Southern Pacific monopoly in this area. This 16 room Mission style building cost $24,470. The building was added to the city register by resolution number 30,103 on November 20, 1972  - Learn more about Stockton Railroads
St. Agnes Academy and Catholic Schools

The first Catholic school was on the corner of Sutter and Lafayette streets, St. Clair Lever was the teacher, however it failed for lack of students. In 1865 a second school was opened with Mary O'Donnell as teacher.

Click to Enlarge Click to Enlarge Subsequently the old Catholic Church was torn down to make room for a two-story brick building. It was erected on the church property facing San Joaquin Street and Taylor Streets and the building was used as a boys' school, with Weber hall in the north end of the second story. Eight years previous to the establishing of the Brother's school. Father O'Connor planned the establishing of a girls' academy, with Sisters of Charity in charge. Captain Weber was approached upon the subject and as he was then tearing down the old Corinthian building all the available lumber was hauled to the proposed site of the new academy building. A number of the Sisters were sent to Stockton, and they collected the necessary building fund, $20,000. The building was finished in due time and St. Agnes Academy was dedicated and consecrated March 17, 1876.

In 1884 a boys' school was contemplated, and at Father O'Connor's solicitation four Brothers came from Dayton, Ohio, to take charge of the Brother's school. In the meantime, the old Catholic church was remodeled and fitted up as a school and Brothers' residence and in August, 1884, it was dedicated and consecrated by Bishop Riordan.

The location of the school on the corner of San Joaquin and Taylor streets was quite satisfactory until 1896. when the Santa Fe Railroad built a depot across the street , and the constant ringing bells and blowing of whistles made it a very undesirable location either for a schoolroom or a place of residence for the Sisters. In 1913 a quarter of a block of land was purchased on the corner of San Joaquin and Park streets and a handsome school building was erected at a cost of $60,000. Later an adjoining building was erected, adjoining the school on the south as a residence for the Dominican Sisters, who had charge of the academy.

Click to Enlarge Click to Enlarge 921 S. San Joaquin - Moses Rodgers Home - The San Francisco-style home, with its bay window, tongue and groove siding, and wrap-around porch, was constructed for Missouri native - and African-American - Moses Rogers. Rogers was born a slave, but became a mining engineer and came to California for the Gold Rush in 1848. He quickly became known as an expert in the state, and investors went to him for advice regarding mining claims. Rogers moved his family to Stockton so that his five daughters would receive a good education, something that the schools were able to provide. The home is notable because of its architectural style, as well as the fact that it was owned by an African-American family. It is #78000763 on the National Register of Historic Places and was listed in 1978. It was added to the city register by resolution number 35,546 August 28, 1978
Click to Enlarge 947 S. San Joaquin & Anderson - Former Oak Market Grocery / Ernies Market (57)/ Hilderbrand Beauty Shop (50)
Click to Enlarge Click to Enlarge 1148 S. San Joaquin - Former Council for the Spanish Speaking (76) / Berry's Market / Habeeb Grocery (50)
Click to Enlarge Click to Enlarge San Joaquin and Jackson - 324 East Jackson Street - Former Jackson / South School - between. San Joaquin and Sutter
Click to Enlarge Click to Enlarge 1247 S. San Joaquin - Claudia's House of Beauty / Golden House Beauty Salon (76)
1249 - Chapin Grocery - Brooks & Co Wholesale Convections (67) / Jackson Grocery / Boswell Grocery (50-57)
South San Joaquin Street - Charter Way Intersects
Click for Charter Way
Click to Enlarge 1409 S. San Joaquin - Frenchie's Barber Shop (1957) and M.H. Gindre Barber (1943)
Click to Enlarge Click to Enlarge 1563 S. San Joaquin & 245 E. Second - J.F. Getsey Grocery (50) / W.D. Martin Grocery (1943)
1643 - Mayon Lodge - Now a vacant lot
Click to Enlarge Click to Enlarge 2049 S. San Joaquin - Filipino Federation
Click to Enlarge Click to Enlarge 2154 S. San Joaquin - L.D.T - Grand Lodge Legionariois Del Trabajo in America, Inc - Headquartered in Stockton, California, the Legionarios has numbered 1,200 members with 43 local lodges in California and Washington in 1991
Click to Enlarge Click to Enlarge Click to Enlarge 2163 S. San Joaquin - El Amigo Market / Mabel's Market (76) Southside Market (57)/ JD Ferarro Grocery (50) / Gotfried Steiner Grocer (43)
2301 McKinley Park
Click for North San Joaquin Street

See also

Suggested Books Related to Stockton