Downtown Stockton - Market Street


 

Disclaimer! Informational page only, I do not sell, lease or manage Commercial Real Estate.

Over the last ten years, Stockton has attempted to address the issues affecting disinvestment downtown and wrestled with finding solutions. Many studies have been commissioned to analyze the market and develop strategies to revitalize downtown, and some gains have been made. The Downtown Alliance, a business improvement district began operation in January 1998. However, with the complexity of the issues facing downtown, a workable strategy has not emerged to meet the scale of the challenge.

Nonetheless, it is clear that downtown Stockton offers much to build upon. Excellent highway access and visibility; the availability of vacant waterfront sites and large parcels to accommodate new development; and an impressive historic building stock, including the landmark Hotel Stockton, are just some of the physical assets the panel identified immediately. In addition, downtown Stockton has a concentration of government jobs, financial institutions, and public and private city leadership interested in the downtown.

Click any thumbnail and it becomes a slideshow where you can then scroll through the slides. Or select Auto Play or use the mouse or keyboard arrow keys to scroll through all images

East Market Street
Click for Center Street

3- Elite Hotel / Elite Rooms
4- Clair's Clothing Store
8 - Golden Dragon Restaurant
9 - Chicago Laundry & Cleaners
12 - Panelli's Frosty ice Cream & Tavern
15 - Vic's Inn Tavern
17 E. Market St. - Las Palomas Tavern
21 - Chico De Mayo Tavern

Click to Enlarge Click to Enlarge 22 E. Market St. - Stockton Police Department / Former Eastern Coffee Shop
24 E. Market St. - Adeline's Cafe
25 E. Market St. - Hotel Grand
Click to Enlarge 16 E. Market St. - Hotel Toyo / Tilden Hotel
18 E. Market St. - The Toggery Men's Clothing Store
26 E. Market St. - Star Theatre
28 E. Market St. - Star Fountain Restaurant
36 E. Market St. - Savoia Cafe
42 E. Market St.  - Savoia Hotel
122 W. Market St. - Arizona Hotel
29 E. Market St. - San Joaquin Hotel - San Joaquin Rooms
31 E. Market St. - G&M Liquors
33 E. Market St. - Pacific Billiards
37 E. Market St. - Jackson Cafe
47 E. Market St. - Wells Cafe
E. Market St - El Dorado Street Intersects
Click for El Dorado Street
Click to Enlarge Click to Enlarge 101 E. Market St. - NE Corner of El Dorado St. - El Dorado Drug Store
Click to Enlarge 101 E. Market St. - NE Corner of El Dorado St. - Nippon Drug Company  - Demolished in the West End Redevelopment /
115 E. Market  - Hotel Roosevelt, 
121 E. Market  - Hotel Yosemite and
125 E. Market  - On Lock Sam
Click to Enlarge 104 E. Market St. - Kings House Chinese Restaurant
107 E. Market - Cooper's Donuts / Palm rooms
111 E. Market - Segarini, Q.G. Liquors - (1950)
112 E. Market - Union Inn Liquors (1950)
114 E. Market - East Market  - Canton Low Restaurant - Demolished
116 E. Market - Victory Cafe
117 E. Market - We Lee Laundry - Demolished
119 E. Market - Pacific Hardware - Demolished
Click to Enlarge 120 E. Market - Maria's Mexican Cafe / Former H&M Clothing Store
121 East Market Street - Yosemite Hotel - Demolished
123 E. Market - Owl Billiards - Demolished
124 E. Market St. - Market Hotel / Hotel Baltimore /
Click to Enlarge 125 E. Market St. - On Lock Sam - Owl Hotel - Demolished
Click to Enlarge Click to Enlarge 126 E. Market St. - Hilltop Restaurant & Catering - The restaurant can accommodate 130 guests and offers special event service with optional buffet, beer, wine, DJ booth, and small stage area with surround sound speakers. A separate pool room can be converted into a VIP space for privacy upon request. / Delta Club / Delta Card Room
127 E. Market - Owl Tavern - Demolished
128 E. Market - Delta Bar Tavern
130 E. Market - Delta Casino / Delta Cafe Restaurant - Closed
135 E. Market - Pekin Grill Restaurant - Demolished
136 E. Market - Stockman Rooms
138 E. Market - Stockman Tavern
139 E. Market - Kaufman's Loan Company
140 E. Market - LaRosa Inn
142 E. Market - The Bright Spot Men's Clothing
E. Market St - Hunter Street Intersects
Click for Hunter Street
Click to EnlargeMarket and Hunter looking East - Courtesy of The Stockton Police Department - mid 70s
Click to Enlarge Click to Enlarge Market & Hunter - Frank Stewart Library - Demolished
Click to Enlarge Click to Enlarge Click to Enlarge 205 E. Market St. - Former Hazelton Public Library - Located just south of the current county courthouse, Hazleton Library served as Stockton’s library for nearly 70 years. Opened in 1895, the Greek revival building had an exterior made entirely of marble and boasted a collection of 25,000 books. Were it still around today, the library would undoubtedly be one of the city’s most cherished given its architectural significance, no matter the use. While demolished in 1964, its memory lives on at UOP. Then university president Robert E. Burns rescued the library’s marble columns from the scrap heap and brought them to campus. Today, they still stand between the university’s William Knox Holt Memorial Library and Knowles Hall. Legend has it that if you stand in the middle of the columns, you can hear the echoes of your own voice. - Right photo is the Canlis Building with a 24 S. Hunter Address
Click to Enlarge Hunter Market - SE Corner
202 E. Market - Flor De Mexico Inn Tavern - Demolished
206 E. Market- Two O Six Club Tavern - Demolished
208 E. Market- Hotel Royal Side Entrance - Demolished
210 E. Market- Lois Marachi's Cafe - Demolished
214 E. Market St. - Port Stockton Market - Demolished
218 E. Market- Mayford Hotel / New York Laundry - Demolished
230 E. Market- Denver Rooms - Demolished
232 E. Market- Turf Club Tavern - Demolished
234 E. Market St. - Hotel Wayne / Pacific Hotel - Demolished
238 E. Market St. -  Stockton Skating Club - Demolished
242 E. Market St. - Louie's Cafe - Demolished
Click to Enlarge 231 E. Market St.
Click to Enlarge Click to Enlarge 233 E. Market St.
Click to enlargeHunter and 235 E. Market Street - NE Corner- 1863 Jail - Built in 1863 - Until the new jaiI at San Joaquin and Channel Streets was completed in 1893, the county jail was a small two-story brick building on the north side of Market street between Hunter and San Joaquin Streets. Meals for the prisoners were prepared by the Cunningham family's own Chinese cook in their own kitchen and delivered by wagon to the jai I. At that time the home was also located on Market Street, between American and Stanislaus Streets. About 1894 a new home was built on the northwest corner of El Dorado and Acacia Streets.
239 E. Market St. - Bargain Records
E. Market St - San Joaquin Street Intersects
Click for San Joaquin Street
Click to Enlarge 301 E. Market Street, Lafayette School
302 E. Market St. - Ray & Phil's Tavern - Demolished / GallenKamps, 1935
 307 E. Market St. - Click to Enlarge 34 S. San Joaquin St - Hotel Fair - The 1917 Map reading "Hotel Dayle," There is no listing in Stockton City Directories, however, until 1930, at which point the Bolinas Beach Country Club, Monroe Calculating Machines Co., National Adjustment Co., Natrock Production Co., and the Reliable Collection Agency were all listed with offices in this building. Businesses changed over the years, and included several real estate offices, and a gift shop, among others. The 1930 City Directory listed the Hotel Dale at this address, but not in other years. This building type was common in Stockton and typically had furnished rooms on the upper floors and retail or offices on the ground floor. / 307 -Temple Bell Gift Shop
308 E. Market St. - Perondi Rooms - Demolished
309 E. Market St. - Union Hotel / Towers Hotel
310 E. Market St. - Panama Club Tavern - Demolished
311 E. Market St. - George's Blue Note Record Store
315 E. Market St. - Glenn Hotel
Click to Enlarge 316 E. Market St - City Hotel - Photo of 00 Blk of S. Eldorado Side - Photo courtesy of Ron Chapman - Demolished
317 E. Market - Dutchess Bakery / Musio Bakery (1935)
318-320 E. Market - Gia Delucchi Groceries (1935) - Demolished
320 E. Market St. - M. Corren & Sons - Demolished
Click to Enlarge 322 E. Market St. - Travelers Hotel - Photo by Floyd Perry Jr - Demolished
Click to Enlarge Click to Enlarge Click to Enlarge 323 E. Market St - Former Piggly Wiggly Grocery
Click to Enlarge 325 E. Market St. Back Side of the Yasoo Yani Greek restaurant fronting at 326 E. Main
Click to Enlarge 300 Block E. Market - Mural
Click to Enlarge 324 E. Market St. - Fontana Hotel (1920) / Don's Furniture - Demolished
333 - Fern's Restaurant
340 E. Market St. - Masonic Temple. The Masons started a chapter in Stockton in the 1950s. This building was completed in 1922 at a cost of $400,000 including furnishings. The first floor housed various shops while the upper floors. were occupied by .the Masons. With the Fox Theater, this is one of the more ornate remaining Spanish or Moorish Revival buildings in the downtown area. This building meets the criteria of the Stockton Landmark ordinance, as well as those of the National and California Registers, as an excellent example of. a Masonic Lodge and for its important place within the community.
Click to Enlarge Click to Enlarge Click to Enlarge Click to Enlarge
Click to Enlarge Click to Enlarge Click to Enlarge Click to Enlarge
Click to Enlarge Click to Enlarge Click to Enlarge Click to Enlarge
Click to Enlarge Click to Enlarge 345 E. Market St. - Johnnies Waffle Shop
E. Market St - Sutter Street Intersects
Click to Enlarge Click to Enlarge Click to Enlarge Click to Enlarge
E. Market & 114 S. Sutter - Clark Hotel - STOCKTON July 15, 1911 - HOTEL NEARLY FINISHED Five Story Building Built After Style of San Francisco's Noted Hostelry. Stockton will soon have another first class hotel. The building, a five story structure, is now in course of construction at the southeast corner of Market and Sutter streets. It is bring built by W. R. Clark, former mayor. The new hostelry is now nearing completion. It will cost $50.000, and is of steel and brick. The brick Is laid with Flemish bond, after the style at thf Palace hotel in San Francisco, it will be the first of the kind in Stockton. A pretty effect has been obtained by alternating the cream and pressed brick. Mrs. M. G. Philson, who formerly conducted the Philson cafe here, is the lessee af the new hotel. There will be two stores on the ground floor facing Market street. The hotel entrance will be in Sutter street. A spacious lobby, men's reading room, ladies' reading room, offices, hotel bar, barber shop and grill in an annex yet to be constructed will take up the lower floor. There will be a mezzanine floor overlooking the lobby. The four upper floors will be devoted to hotel rooms. There will be 15 bedrooms on each floor. Five private bathrooms will be located on each floor. The finishing of the lobby will be quite a feature. The floor will be tiled and the lobby will be wainscoted in marble to a height of four and a half feet. The other furnishings will be in mahogany. The vestibule will be faced in ■white marble to a height of nine and a half feet. A marquise of heavy wire glass will be suspended from chains above the entrance - The Clark burned beyond repair in 1984 and was demolished. The right photo is the structure which replaced it, a parking garage  - Next to right photo - Looking east on Market Street from in front of the Masonic Temple in 1986. Looking towards the 400 block prior to redevelopment. - Floyd Perry Jr.
Click to Enlarge 400 E. Market St - Green Brothers Pharmacy / Clark Pharmacy (1930)
Click to Enlarge Click to Enlarge Click to Enlarge Click to Enlarge Click to Enlarge 409 E. Market St.  Wolf Hotel - Opened in 1912, It had a beautiful Roof Garden for dining and was considered Stockton's finest hotel. It later became a senior citizen's hotel - Demolished - Replaced with the American Savings Building - Right photos from The Floyd Perry Jr. Collection
410 - E. Market St. - Market Laundry - Demolished
Click to Enlarge Market Street looking West - Photo posted by Terry Gust
Click to Enlarge 411 E. Market - Dr Cochrane - 426 E. Market St. - Mark Twain Hotel / Marion Hotel - Demolished
428 E. Market St. - Joe's Playroom Tavern - Demolished
Click to Enlarge 430 E. Market St. - California Liquor Store - Demolished in 1988 - Photo by Floyd Perry jr.
Click to Enlarge 434 E. Market St. - Phelan Hotel -  Demolished
436 E. Market St. - Stockton Typewriter (1935) - Demolished
Click to Enlarge 437 E. Market & California - U.S. Post Office - 1906 - Demolished
438 E. Market St. - Genova Pharmacy - Demolished
Click to Enlarge 442 E. Market St. - Former Realty Building - Demolished for Parking Garage
444 E. Market St. - Realty Building
448 E. Market St. - New George's Coffee Shop - Demolished
Click to Enlarge Market & California Streets looking NE
E. Market St - California Street Intersects
Click for California Street
Click to Enlarge SE corner of Market and California - The Record
Click to Enlarge 509 E. Market St. - By 1930 and through 1940, the Stockton City Directories listed the Peffer Furniture and Music Company here. Peffer originally started nearby at 40 S. California Street, and operated from 1917 through the 1940s, as a discount furniture, radio, and phonograph store. By 1940 and through 1950, KDGM Radio, a CBS affiliate, was also located in this building, and was owned and operated by Mr. Ed Peffer. The Peffer Company moved out of this building in 1945 because of a decline in business during World War II.and eventually Peffer left the furniture business to pursue radio broadcasting. In 1950, the Dohrmann Hotel Supply Company was listed in the former Peffer store location. -
521 E. Market St. - Alden Apartments - Demolished
Click to Enlarge 500 Block E. Market - I believe the back of the Antler Hotel at 532 E. Main St
Click to Enlarge 530 E. Market St. - The Stockton Record 1920s - Appears to be the Shamrock in the next Block at 602 East Market which at the time was Rothenbush & Cunningham Soft Drinks
E. Market St - American Street Intersects
Click to Enlarge Click to Enlarge Click to Enlarge Click to Enlarge
602-606 E. Market St. - The Shamrock - Demolished - A two-story brick building located on the southeast corner of East Market and South American Streets and included the 110-114 S. American Street address. Two shops and a restaurant were on the ground floor.· The site was occupied by a two-story house prior to construction of this building.  By 1930, the Directory lists Golden West Bakery and Modem Cleaners at this address.· By 1935, the Biasotti & Co. Bar had replaced the bakery, and Lorenzo Beauregard Shoe Repair had opened. By 1940, Biasotti was replaced by the Golden Glow Inn, and a typewriter repair shop took over the shoe repair location. By 1945, the bar again changed owners and was now Arthur Basso Liquors. The 1950 City Directory shows that Ernest Galletti's real estate office replaced the clothing cleaner, and the Stockton Window Cleaning Company replaced the typewriter repair. The Redmen's Lodge occupied the second floor. A sign on the building indicated that the ground floor was once occupied by the Shamrock Bar.
612 E. Market St. -Demolished - Originally occupied by the Associated Charities, the forerunner to the county welfare department, who distributed financial assistance to dependent families. In the 1930s and '40s the building was operated by County Hospital as an OPD clinic. In the 19505, the building was utilized as the KWG radio station and later as a printing shop. According to State Office of Historic Preservation records, prior surveys have determined that
Click to Enlarge Click to Enlarge 620-622 E. Market St. - Demolished - The Cunningham Hotel was built on a site that once housed the. residence of Stockton's most famous sheriff, Thomas Cunningham. Mr. Cunningham served as the County Sheriff from 1871 to 1899. The hotel was constructed in 1926 and provided housing for travelers and long-term residents. By 1940, Berberian Brothers Wholesale Liquors was located on the ground floor of the hotel. This space was converted to Glasier Brothers Wholesale Cigars by 1950. The ground floor retail space in the building was vacant, but the hotel remaind in operation as a longer-term residence. - Right photo from the Floyd Perry Jr. Collection. Demolished
Click to Enlarge Click to Enlarge 640-648 E. Market St. -
Click to Enlarge 621 E. Market St. - In 1959 the building housed an auto shop and upholstery shop. it has a concrete floor and wood truss roof. Stockton City Directories first listed this building as a commercial garage in 1940. By 1945, L. D. Button Auto Upholstery was located here, and by 1950, Mrs. M. B. Thornton's auto upholstery shop was listed. More recently, the building was occupied by Mills Press, a printing company.
Click to Enlarge 625 E. Market St -
Click to Enlarge Click to Enlarge 626-632 E. Market St. - Plat records indicate that this building was originally built and owned by the Boggs family, a prominent Stockton family involved in real estate, business development, and politics. It was  one of the last wood frame buildings to survive in downtown Stockton, and the only one with its original facade. The building had housed a mix of retail and offices uses as well as two second-floor residences. Over the years, businesses in the building included a furniture shop, distributing company, a locksmith, radio store, used clothing store, and Mrs. Rose Koostra's Doll Hospital. It was one of the few wood· frame, Mission Revival style buildings in the downtown commercial area, / Pat's Donut Shop , 632 Stockton Paint Mart. It was demolished to expand the Record Building. - Right photo from the Floyd Perry Jr. Collection
Click to Enlarge 633 E. Market St. - This building is present on the 1950 Stockton Sanborn Map, but it is not on .the 1917. By 1935, Fred Turner owned a warehouse in this building. By 1950, it had been subdivided into several businesses, including Mail-Me-Monday of Central California, the Dave S. Matthews Advertising Agency, and the Multiple Listing Service Bureau. More recently, the building was used as a furniture warehouse. - 625 address painted on the building
Click to Enlarge 640-648 E. Market St. - The Record - Former Winifred Hotel - Appearing on the 1917 and 1950 Sanborn Maps, and housed the Winifred Hotel. The hotel was constructed in 1913. Named after Winifred McCoy, a local farmer, who was one of the owners of the building. . The building was used as permanent housing and retail space. Stockton City Directories list the Winifred Hotel in this building at 115 S. Stanislaus by 1921. The Directories did not list other businesses here until1935, when the Pacific Coast Food Store. By 1935, Directories listed the Central California Retail Grocers Association, Humphreys & Matthews Inc. Advertising, and the Toledo Scale Company. In 1940, Li Young Grocery was the only business listed here. By 1945, Andrew Roy Second Hand Clothing was located here, but was converted to a furniture shop by 1950. St Vincent DePaul Thrift Shop - All  demolished for The Record Building
E. Market St - Stanislaus Street Intersects
Click to Enlarge 700 E. Market St. - Rite-Way Cleaners - Appearing on the 1950 Sanborn maps, but not on the 1917. Since its construction, the building has been occupied by several businesses including an advertising agency, and a bookbinding business. The Riteway cleaners has occupied the space for over 40 years. In 1930, Humphreys & Matthews Advertising, publishers of the Stockton City and San Joaquin County Directory, were located here.
708 E. Market - Scott Brothers Sign Company
711 E. Market  - County Welfare Department
Click to Enlarge 719 E. Market St. - Barrow foundation - This building was constructed in the 1930s for a printing shop by the name of Radcliffe and Julius Printing. The printers remained here through at least 1950. The building was also occupied by the Barrow Foundation Help Center, a social service agency. The last occupant was the Snack Shop
Click to Enlarge 728-736 E. Market - Goodwill Industries
738 E. Market - Jewel Tea Company (1935)
748 E. Market - H.D. Sudemeier Motorcycles - Demolished
E. Market St - Grant Street Intersects
801 E. Market - Red D Service Station - Demolished
Click to Enlarge Click to Enlarge Oxford Hotel - 839 East Market Street - Built in 1918 - The Oxford Hotel occupies the upstairs of the main building. It consists of 32 rooms occupied by hotel residents (including a 2 bedroom quarter where the resident manager resides)
839 E. Market St. & 37 S. Aurora - Oxford Hotel - Built in 1918 - The building appears on the 1950 Sanborn map. Stockton City Directories first fist this building in 1925 as the Oxford Hotel, which it remained through at feast 1956. Unfortunately, no ground floor businesses were fisted here throughout this period. In 1935, Samuel Cassel and Clementine Renner were fisted in City Directories as the managers. In the 1940s, R. S. Griffin was the manager, and in the 1950s, Henry Stock was listed as the manager
Click to Enlarge 839 E. Market & Aurora Streets
Aurora Street Intersects
Click to Enlarge Click to Enlarge Click to Enlarge 901 E. Market St. - This four-story building appears on the 1917 and 1950 Sanborn maps. The 1895 Sanborn reveals that the Relief Windmill Manufacturing Co. was originally on this site. The 1917 Sanborn maps notes the building as the Hate/New York, with a bar, restaurant, and storage on the first floor. Though a plaque on the building gives a 1910 construction date, the first listing in Stockton City Directories was In 1915. The New York Hotel was listed here through at feast 1950. Its proximity to the rail lines meant that this area was able to support a large number of hotels and temporary housing. - Today it's the New York Apartments. Left photo courtesy of Ron Chapman
Click to Enlarge Click to Enlarge 915 E. Market St. - There is no listing for this building in Stockton City Directories until 1930, at which time it was listed as the Stockton Junk Company. By 1945 it was occupied by Melvin Ivers Van and Storage, and remained so through at least 1950. The .1895and 1917 Sanborn Maps recorded this site as a storage and junk yard, but the current building was noted only on the 1950 Sanborn map.
Click to Enlarge Click to Enlarge 920 E. Market St. - Waldmar Apartments - Listed in Stockton City Directories as the Waldemar Apartments starting in 1919. Unlike the majority of Stockton's apartment buildings and hotels, there has never been any retail space in the Waldemar-all three floors are used as residences. Its location next to the rail lines made it a convenient location for temporary housing and for rail road employees.
Click to Enlarge Vizelich Hotel - Market & Sacramento - Late 1800s - Early 1900s
1024 E. Market St. - Western Pacific Railroad - Demolished
1025 E. Market St. - American Ice - Demolished
Click to Enlarge Click to Enlarge Click to Enlarge 1149 E. Market St. - Davis Meat Market -
Click to Enlarge Click to Enlarge Click to EnlargeStar Market - 1201 East Market Street
1302 E. Market St. - Home Cash Market - Demolished
E. Market St - Wilson Way Intersects
Click for Wilson Way
Click to Enlarge Click to Enlarge 1514 E. Market St. - Pepsi Cola Bottling Company (1976)
1538 E. Market St. - The Wheel Outlet
Click to Enlarge 1537 E. Market St. - Wilson Way Tire Warehouse
1545 E. Market St. - Pepsi Cola Bottling Company Warehouse (1976)
Click to Enlarge 1600 Block of E. Market St. - Apartments
Click to Enlarge Click to Enlarge 1728 E. Market St. - Alpine Construction and Roofing / United Mercantile Warehouse (1976)
Click to Enlarge 1746 E. Market St. - Former Zion Christian Assembly church / Valley Mattress
West Market Street
15 W. Market - El Oboro Cafe
19 W. Market - Tia Juana Rooms
28 W. Market - San Joaquin Wholesale Grocers
29 W. Market - A One Hotel
31 W. Market - Tia Juana Cafe / La Paloma Grocery
W. Market St - Commerce Street Intersects
101 W. Market - Stockton Rescue Mission / Victory Market / Stampinoni Soft Drinks (1935)
105 W. Market - Lee Sam Laundry / Maise Soft Drinks (1935)
107 W. Market - El Durango Tavern
109 W. Market - Regis Cafe
111 W. Market - Mary's Cafe
117 W. Market - El Tecate Billiards
121 W. Market - Nocha De Ronda Tavern
122 W. Market - Arizona Hotel
125 W. Market - Hotel Diamond
W. Market St - Madison Street Intersects
220 W. Market - La Rosa Rooming House
236 W. Market - J.P. Wise Soft Drinks (1935)
248 W. Market - Westside Market
W. Market St - Van Buren Street Intersects
400 W. Market - Old Mission Paint Factory (1935)
401 W. Market - Silver Dollar Cafe Tavern
540 W. Market - Seaside Oil Company
Tahiti Iti - 42 S. Monroe at Market St.

See also

Suggested Books Related to Stockton

External links