Closed and Bygone Restaurants
Disclaimer! This is a Hobby Page. I Specialize in Residential Real
Click any thumbnail and it becomes a slideshow where you can then scroll through the slides. Or
select Auto Play or use the mouse or keyboard arrow keys to scroll through all images
A&W Drive In - Pacific Avenue & Rose Marie Lane
A&W - E. Main St - Photo by Floyd Perry Jr
Alberts Restaurant - 8103 N. Highway 99, on 1 Acre of land . Building was approximately 7400 sq. feet with a very nice bar, extra large kitchen, nice finishes and room for
expansion. Near Hammer Lane and Highway 99. Previous site of the prestigious Manor House Restaurant. Demolished">
Alberts - 8009 N. Highway 99
Bottley's BBQ - 2210 Country Club -
Alder Bistro 151 W. Alder St.
Arroyo's - 324 S. Center Street - Arroyo's Cafe / Ace Auto Parts - Photo courtesy of Floyd Perry Jr
Arroyo's (El Rancho Grande Cafe, 1950s) - 116 W. Washington
Larry Arroyos - Former 9303 Thornton Rd. location
Augie's Mexican Restaurant - 2530 Waterloo Rd. - Closed
Bamboo Restaurant - 635 E. Main
Best Pizza - 2339 W. Hammer Lane - Today Little Cesar's Pizza
Black Angus - 2605 W. March Lane, Stockton Ca, 95207 - Demolished - Black Angus Restaurant at March Lane and Quail Lakes Drive. In September 2005, Black Angus' parent
company filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection. It was indebted approximately $202 million and had in 2003 reported revenue of $276.6 million resulting in a net loss of
$32.5 million. In 1995, the chain had 101 restaurants and reported revenue of $244 million. The parent company of the chain filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection on
January 15, 2009, due to the current recession. Purchased by Versa Capital Management Inc., Black Angus Steakhouse emerged from bankruptcy protection during March 2009.">Black Angus Restaurant - 2605 W. March Lane
Bobb Inn, 1149 N. El Dorado Street - Dean DeCarli was hired by Happyholme Dairy as a salesman and delivery route driver. In 1940, he became a partner in the Happyholme
distributing business and opened Stockton's first drive-in restaurant
- 2210 Country Club
Brandenburgs 256 Club - 6002 Pacific Avenue - Today it's Finnegan's
Bude-Burger Burger - 4410 E. Waterloo Rd
Brunch & Burger Hut - 1246 N. Wilson Way / Former Dave's Drive In (1976) / Obrien's Ice Cream (1957) - Photo courtesy of Ron Chapman - Also a portion of
Thrifty gas showing in the left part of the photo. Now J&S Flowers">
Brunch & Burger Hut - 1246 N. Wilson Way / Former Dave's Drive In (1976) / Obrien's Ice Cream (1957) - Photo by Ron Chapman - Also a portion of Thrifty gas showing
in the left part of the photo. Now J&S Flowers
Buttercup Pantry - 221 W. Yokuts Avenue
California Pizza Kitchens
Cam's Drive Inn - 1236 N. El Dorado Street - courtesy of Floyd Perry Jr.
Canton Low - Foo Lung - 108 East Washington Street - Photo by Janice Louie Koster
Captain's Table Restaurant - 221 N. Center Street
Carmen's Mexican Restaurant - Lincoln Center
Carnation Restaurant - An Outback Steakhouse sits on this corner today
Carl's Restaurant & Catering - 3455 E. Cherokee Rd.
Carmen & Gene's Mexican Restaurant - 1226 East Harding Way
Castaway Restaurant - 321 W. Weber Avenue
Castaway Restaurant - 321 W. Weber Avenue. Castaway Restaurant. Owned by the Specialty Restaurant Corp. It cost $500,000 to build in 1973. The Castaway advertised an Aloha
luncheon from 11:30am to 4pm and every Wednesday was Luau night. The Castaway was demolished in the early 1980's and is now a parking lot.
Cedar's Fountain. 701 East Main Street - Ventura hotel
Chets - 148 N. Wilson Way, Stockton Ca - Former / Busalacci Tavern
Chevy's - March & El Dorado - A closed Walgreens on this corner now
Chili Pepper Restaurant - 235 N. Center - Located behind the Holiday Inn
Club Ninety Nine Tavern - 3305 N. Wilson Way
Costanzas - 2041 Pacific Avenue - Photo courtesy of Kevin Shawver
Country Boys Drive In / former Dutch Girl Drive Inn - 2648 E. Fremont - Still open, but as a Chinese Restaurant
Crab Pot - 2030 S. El Dorado St. - Today a Mexican Restaurant
Dave Wong's Deli
- 5620 N. Pershing Avenue Closed
Former Del Taco - 678 N. Wilson Way - Now a Tommy's Restaurant.
Former Dick's Drive Inn - 1301 E. Harding Way
Dok Shoons - 348 E. Miner Avenue - Photo Courtesy of Floyd Perry Jr.
Don's Drive Inn #2 - 147 E. Charter Way / J's Burgers / Mandy's Burgers
Don's Drive Inn - 2455 Waterloo Rd.
Don's Drive Inn - 2 South Wilson Way
Donut King - 6323 Pacific Avenue - Winchell's Doughnut House - 6323 Pacific Ave built in 1968, It was Winchell's Until 1980 when it became Donut King until 2008 when they
moved to a smaller spot in the back of this strip mall The building was demolished in 2009 and replaced by Bright Now Dental.
Donut King - 6323 Pacific Avenue
Closed - 5202 Pacific Avenue
Eddie's Coffee Shop - 1419 S. El Dorado St.
Former Nena's Mexican Restaurant / House of EJ Murphy - Courtesy of Ron Chapman - 1064 Waterloo Rd
Emerald Restaurant - 315 S. Hunter / Former Filipino Recreation Center (labor union hall by day and a dance club and casino at night. 315 S. Hunter St - Left photo Ron Chapman
Ernie's On The Brickwalk - 951-3311 - Dinner. Stockton Joes later located here
Fair Oaks Cafe - 2184 E. Main Street
Farmer's Grill (former Orlies location) - 6124 Pacific Ave
Felix & Betty's - Photo courtesy of Kevin Shawver
Felix & Betty's - also at 701 E. Weber
Foster Freeze - 1562 S. El Dorado at Second St. The building sits vacant today
Foster Freeze - 202 E. Charter Way - Demolished to expand Bank of America
Former Foster Freeze - 3249 West Hammer Lane. It opened in the early 1980's. Closed in 1993. Today it is Shi Ra Soni Japanese Restaurant
Foster Freeze - 1955 East Main - Demolished for the Crosstown Freeway.
Foster Freeze - 1612 Pacific Avenue - The site became a Red Top Burger and today a Manny's Restaurant">
Former Foster Freeze - 1612 Pacific Avenue
Garvey's Cafe - Cherokee & Highway 99
George's Drive In - 1521 North California St. In 1957 / 1958 /1959 Shower's Frosty Ice Cream and Shower's Hot Dog Stand in the back was located here - Photo courtesy
of Ron Chapman
Gingham Gal Coffee Shop - Lincoln Center
Golden Phoenix Restaurant - Pacific Bowl
- Gan Chy Chinese Restaurant
- 417 E. Washington - Closed -
Former Pacific Greyhound Bus Depot The building appears on the 1950 Sanborn map
and is noted as the Pacific Greyhound Lines. Constructed in the 1930s, this
building was originally the Greyhound Bus Depot. and played a major role in the
transportation of the area. It remained as bus station until 1969 when a new
depot was constructed down the street. The building is currently occupied by a
Chinese restaurant, and has been slightly altered from its original state, but
still maintains much of its historic integrity
Golden West Restaurant. Photo courtesy of Floyd Perry Jr.
Happy Steak - Photo courtesy of Ron Chapman
Hatch Cover - 6629 Embarcadero Drive - Photo courtesy of Al Fonseca
Hazel's Drive-In - 1801 N. Wilson Way - Mid 1940's - The ad said: A name on everyone's lips, a popular drive in with delicious food - It later became the Lelani Lane
Drive-in during the 1950s Tiki Craze">Hazel's Drive-In - 1801 N. Wilson Way
Former Mel Frances Rollin Doughnut - Now a Furniture Store - 901 N. Wilson Way
Henry's Rollin' Pin - 2328 Pacific Ave
Former Hong Kong Cafe / Today it's Sun's Garden
Horse Shoe Club - 1415 Sharps' Lane - Airport & Charter Way - Photo courtesy of Kevin Shawver - Rancho San Miguel is on this corner today - Click for Slideshow
Iguana Wanna - Closed - 7555 Pacific Avenue
Tommy Lee - 6623 Pacific - photo courtesy of Val Acoba.
JJ's - 147 E. Charter Way - Courtesy of Ron Chapman
Mandy's - 147 E. Charter Way
J's burgers - 147 E. Charter Way - Photo courtesy of Ron Chapman
Jackie's Drive Inn - 2466 E. Main.
Former Jackie's Drive-Inn - 2466 East Main Street - - A Sad Day - Looks like some sort of used tire storage. Photo courtesy of Floyd Perry Jr.
JJ North's Buffet
Closed - 5350 Pacific Avenue (Sherwood Mall) - Now Dickey's BBQ
Closed - JJ Fish & Chicken - 611 N. Wilson Way / Former Neil's Used Cars
Johnnies Waffle Shop - 345 East Market Street - Photo courtesy of Kevin Sawver
Johnnie's Waffle Shop - 222 S. Wilson Way. Photo courtesy of Floyd Perry Jr.
John's Incredible Pizza Co - 4555 North Pershing Avenue - Closed and now a health club
Keyes House - California and Market
King Cafe - 32 South Sutter Street In the Hotel Sherman.
Konrads - 2011 Pacific Avenue
Kress Hot Dog Stand and coffee shop
Le Bistro - 3121 W. Benjamin Holt
Former Le Bistro - 405 N. California Street
Closed - Long John Silvers - 7567 Pacific Avenue - Oakridge Shopping Center - Now a Popeyes
Lelani Lane - 1801 North Wilson Way, corner of Bradford - Mid 1950's Photo courtesy of Floyd Perry Jr. - it was Hazel's Drive-In during the 1940's">
Lelani Lane 1801 North Wilson Way
Luigi Murphys - Now Arroyo's Restaurant - 2338 W. March Lane
Lupes Mexican Restaurant - 3558 W. Hammer lane - Originally an Arby's Restaurant
Lyon's Restaurant - 3113 W. Benjamin Holt - Now a Lumberjack Restaurant
Lyons Restaurant - Pacific & Yokuts - courtesy of Floyd Perry Jr.
Mallards - Brookside Rd. & March Lane - The Sang family's SC Restaurants Inc. bought the Stockton and Modesto Mallard's restaurants from founder Dan Costa, a Modesto
entrepreneur, in November 2005. The Mallard's, located at 3409 Brookside Road in west Stockton, closed abruptly on Oct. 14, 2007 leaving employees unpaid. and Sang was
Manny's - 7925 Thornton Rd - Today a De Vinici's Restaurant - courtesy of Floyd Perry Jr.
Manny's - 2032 Waterloo Rd / Former Sno-White - Photo by Floyd Perry Jr
Manor House - 8103 N. Highway 99 - Later became Albert's Restaurant
McDonalds - 4515 Pacific Avenue - Photo courtesy of Floyd Perry Jr
Mead's Coffer Shop - 112 E. Weber - Demolished
Miracle Drive Inn - 2520 Pacific Avenue
Murphy's (House of Murphy's - E.J. Murphy's)
Myrtle's Coffee Shop / John's Coffee Shop - 401 E. Charter Way
Naughty Nicks - 552 W. Ben Holt - Closed Jan 2007
Nena's Mexican Restaurant - 1064 E. Waterloo Road - Photo by Ron Chapman
125 East Washington - On Lock Sam Chinese Restaurant - The original On Lock Sam was located at 125 East Washington Street between Hunter and El Dorado. It was started by an unknown person in 1898. Wong Sai Chun and two partners bought the existing business in 1920. Wong Sai Chun was from the K wangtung Province of China. He chose Stockton, the "third city. " over the other cities in Central California.
Orlies / Lozano's / Farmers - Pacific Avenue (Marengo Center)
Otto's Five Mile House - Pacific & Lower Sacramento Rd.
Paragary's - 110 N. El Dorado Street - Today French 25 Restaurant
Perry's Five Mile House / Mr Steak and then Pegasus Restaurant. A Laundromat - 7627 Pacific
Parrot Cafe - S. El Dorado and 7th Streets.
Peachtree Restaurant - 1831 Pacific Avenue
Pioneer Tomale - 19 N. California - Left Photo courtesy of Ron Chapman
American Hearing Aids - Former Pioneer Tomale - 860 W. Benjamin Holt
Pollards Chicken Kitchen
Pollardville - 10464 N. Highway 99 - Like many of the old businesses that line the old route 99, the Pollardville Amusement Center was closed and demolished. The
Pollardville Palace Saloon closed its doors in 2002, and the Chicken Restaurant was closed in 2007. Originally opened in 1944 as the Chicken Kitchen Restaurant, the
restaurant moved in 1957 to its current location along Highway 99 between Stockton and Lodi which started the Pollardville complex. After a fire destroyed the original
restaurant, the Polynesian-themed Islander Restaurant was moved from Pacific Avenue in Stockton to Pollardville in the mid-1980's
Pollardville Palace Showboat Dinner Theatre
Portifino Pizza Cafe - 900 W. Benjamin Holt - Now David's Pizza
Prime Rib In - 1025 W. Robinhood - Today a Home Town Buffet
S. T. Johnson Company Oil Burners - Also known as Torino's Bar and Restaurant - Appearing on the 1950 Sanborn map, but not the 1917 map. Stockton City Directories first
list this building in 1930, when it was occupied by S. T. Johnson Co. Oil Burners. By 1935, F. W. Glick Auto Repair had taken over the space. In 1940, City Directories
listed Fritz Brow's restaurant, and Leon Happel Drugs as occupants of the building. The drug store remained through at least 1950. By 1945, Ruth Cunningham Corsetiere was
located here. In 1950, Pump Room Liquors replaced the former restaurant. The building has since been converted into a single tenant space for a restaurant and bar.
QudobaMexican Grill - Spanos Park West
Quiznos - 7407 Pacific Avenue - Formerly a Wendy's. Now Tommy's Cafe
The Ranch - 8900 Thornton Rd. - Post Card by Terry Gust
Flamingo Club / Former
Rare Steer Restaurant - 1233 E. Charter Way
Rare Steer / Camelot / Golden West - Pacific Avenue
Rathgebs Ice Cream - 103 W Harding Way (Owned by Paul Torre)
Red Robin - West Lane and March Lane
Red Top Burger - 1612 Pacific Avenue. Today a Manny's Restaurant
The Reef - Lincoln Center
Rev-a-lon Restaurant At Connell Motors, North Wilson Way
Risso's - 902 Waterloo Rd.
Roger's Cafe - 2075 East Main St. Still in the 1955 Telephone Directory. Today, the Santa Anna Mexican Restaurant and Taquera
Rollin Donut - 901 N. Wilson Way at Waterloo - A furniture store now
Puerto Vallarta Restaurant - Former Sambo's
Former Sambo's Restaurant - 4747 Pacific Avenue - Now a Denny's
Santiago's Cocina Mexicana 222 Lincoln Center - Closed
The Brickhouse - Former Sam's Hof Brau - 30 South. El Dorado Street
San Felipe Grill / Senor Taco - 4601 Pacific Avenue
Former Shakey's Pizza - 1000 Robinhood / Now Michael's Pizza
Shadows - 7555 Pacific Avenue
The Shamrock - 602-606 E. Market St
Shannon's - Now a medical Billing Center
Showers Park-In - 6111 Pacific Avenue - Photo courtesy of Ron Chapman
Sierra Lunch - 1949 - Moss Stores 434 East Main - The American Savings building wiped out the entire 400 block on the South side of the street
Sierra Lunch - Main & Sutter - 1949
Former Sno White Drive Ins,
2120 Country Club, 1945 South Eldorado Street, 2041 E. Main Street, 2040 E. Mariposa Rd., 7925 Thornton Road, 2032 Waterloo Rd
The Sno-White Drive-in chain was founded in Stockton, Ca in the 1950s. By the mid-1960s, there were about 200 locations in California and two in Guam. The last Sno-White was built in 1965.
Former Sno White - 2041 East Main Street - Now East Main Street Drive In
Former Stagecoach Restaurant - 4633 Pacific Avenue
Former Stockton Joe's Locations: The first location was at 1503 St. Marks Plaza, they then moved to 236 Lincoln Center - Subsequently moved to The Former Ernie's location
on The Brickwalk at 296 Lincoln Center. After well over 30 years, Stockton Joes forever closed it's doors. Their last day in business was Monday March 17, 2014. They
posted a heartfelt thank you to all who ever patronized Joes over the years and to the many many employees, past and present, who blessed the place over the years
Strawberry Lane - E Weber
Steak House - Wilson Way and Bradford
Soup Peddler - Pacific Avenue - Hammer Ranch
Swensons - Pacific Avenue
Former T's Drive Inn, Today Sam's Pizza - 3801 E. Main Street
Former Taco Bell - 608 E. Charter Way / Today, Beto's Mexican Restaurant
Former Taco Bell - 8031 West Lane - Now Wing's Deli
Tea Garden Restaurant - 619 E. Charter Way - Now Harry's Pizza.
Tio Pepies - 7920 Lower Sacramento Road - Demolished - courtesy of Floyd Perry Jr.
Tony Romas - March Lane - Building demolished. An Olive Garden Restaurant there now
Toppers - 207 E. Charter Way - today a vacant lot - Courtesy of Ron Chapman
Closed - Victoria's Express Lane - 5939 Pacific Ave (Pacific Avenue Bowl) / Now Chuck's
Tortia Flats - 6880 West Lane - Former Tortilla Flats / The Elbow room in the 1960's. Porfie's was there for a while. It later became Buffet Paradise -
Today the building is vacant">Tortia Flats - 6880 West Lane
Former Victory Fountain - 1765 Mount Diablo - Now the Victory Grill
Viking Haus - 7920 Lower Sacramento Road / Later Tio Pepi's - courtesy of Floyd Perry Jr.
Ospital's Villa Basque - 448 S. Hunter Street
Former Wilson Tower Restaurant, (1957) - Oscar's Drive Inn, (1976) - Big Orange (1950) - Big Orange 1730 N. Wilson Way
Wool Grower's Inn - 325 South Hunter - Building still stands, although stuccoed over
Former Ye Olde Hoosier Inn 1537 N. Wilson Way / Now a KFC
After bankruptcy in February 1998 Lyon's was acquired by ICH, an Arby's franchisee.
In January 2001 ICH sold Lyon's to Amber's Pacific Restaurants Inc., a company of San Diego restaurant owner Amber Lao. APRI filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy in October 2001, blaming the economic turndown at that time.
Closures continued steadily, with the Santa Rosa, CA location ceasing operations on March 17, 2012, leaving only a handful of locations still operating until the final outlets in Sacramento and Stockton were closed down by April 1, 2012.
Middle photo by Mike Fitzgerald, right photo courtesy of Floyd Perry Jr.
Suggested Books Related to Stockton
Links to third party sites