Former Centromart - Now a Church 2222 Lever Blvd - Photo courtesy of Ron Chapman

Historic Stockton Grocers


Stockton Grocers of the Past


Disclaimer! This is a Hobby Page. Our practice is limited to Residential Real Estate

I have created a series of pages covering the streets of Stockton. Scroll down the page or click on a link at the top to see another page. These pages grew put of my love for both architecture and photography. The old photos came from various sources such as The California Photo Library, Calisphere, Library of Congress, UOP Archives, USC Library. OAC Library, friends Facebook and many others. I literally photographed thousands of photos of Stockton buildings. I continue to photograph Stockton on an ongoing basis.

When viewing photos on this page, you can click on a thumbnail to enlarge it and click again to reduce the size. Once you've enlarge a photo, you can turn the page into a slide show by clicking on the arrows shown in the enlargement. At the right of the page is an RSS feed, typically updated with fresh content hourly. Come back tomorrow and the topics covered will be different. I have included many topics on the various pages, including architecture, photography, books camera equipment reviews. Hover over the box at right  and you will find a browser bar to control the feed content. These pages are an ongoing project with changes being made regularly. Enjoy!

When the pioneers began moving to the vacant western United States, these self-reliant, independent individuals relied on their own skills to obtain food.

Vegetables could be grown on their homestead and cattle, pigs and chickens could be grown for meat with an occasional deer or bear to supplement their larder. After establishing themselves and prosperity was obtained, their desires for a "better” standard of living began establishing an institution that would supply their needs — the general store.

The opportunity to sell hard-to-find goods was met by individuals who many times became the richest residents in the community. In the general store, everything the customer wanted or needed could be supplied if the customer had enough money. Dry goods — clothes, cloth, hats, boots, shoes and sometimes exotic food — canned oysters, mushrooms, etc. became available as well as limited types of canned foods.

The proliferation of villages and small communities that spread out into the countryside increased the need for more of these small stores. More of these labor intensive stores sprung up not only in the core of the community but spread out into nearby neighborhoods. Many soon became specialized and sold only canned goods, farm produce, liquor, leather goods and meat products. Many aspects of these stores spelled trouble for them as the population increased and the automobile became a popular means of getting around. The merchandise in the store usually was doled out by a clerk who stood behind a counter, a very slow process. The goods available were limited and usually not marked with the price on it. Many goods, crackers, candy, etc. were not wrapped individually and had to be weighed and packaged. The number of customers who could be served was very limited due to the small number of family members available to wait upon the customer. All of these things took time and customers began looking for a quicker and cheaper way to shop and buy groceries.

Cost of products motivated the rise of the first supermarkets. Many attempts to cut the cost of food and household goods began in the larger cities in the 1800s.

Credit is given to Clarence Saunders of Memphis, Tenn. as the first developer of a self-service store. In 1916, Saunders named his stores Piggly Wiggly and provided check-out stands to cut the cost of help in his store. He also marked prices on every item and advertised his products and cost. His use of refrigerated cases encouraged frozen products and meat. His employees were dressed in uniforms. Saunders was so successful he franchised his stores and had 2,660 stores at the peak of his business.

After being founded by Bernard Kroger in 1883, the Kroger grocery stores in 1933 pioneered the first parking lot next to the store to accommodate the growing needs of the automobile public. Kroger’s had become the largest grocery store chain but only the second largest retailer by volume by the 2000s. In 2010, Wal-mart became the largest retailer in the United States.

The definition of a supermarket is: a business that offered self-service in separate product departments, discount pricing, marketing and volume selling. Research gives credit to a former Kroger employee, Michael J. Cullen, who on Aug. 4, 1930 opened in Jamaica, Queens, N.Y., the first King Kullen store in a 6,000-square-foot former garage. His slogan "Pile it high. Sell it low” made his store highly successful and when he died in 1936 he had 17 stores in business.

The increase in strip malls in the suburbs after World War II and the proliferation of the automobile spelled the doom for most of the mom-and-pop grocery stores. Parking lots became available and the prices of Safeway, Krogers, King Kullen, Piggly Wiggly, Purity Stores, etc. were too good to pass up. Further developments in marketing beginning in the 1960s saw the advent of the "big-box” stores. Discount retailers who relied on selling high volumes of merchandise such as Wal-mart which also predominately used non-union help began to become popular. Warehouse clubs like Costco sprung up throughout the communities and super stores increased competition that hurt the small stores.

Competition and success in the grocery business saw many upstarts come and go. Most small stores either went out of business or were absorbed by the larger, more aggressive chains. The Niven family established the Purity Grocery stores mainly along the West Coast in 1924. They occupied the unique Quonset Hut styled store on Broadway in Millbrae until 1977 when the company was liquidated. The site is now a Kinko’s/FedEx business and the only Purity store remaining is in Ft. Bragg, Calif.

The evolution to supply food and merchandise has resulted in the demise of many small entrepreneurs and much of the” personal touch” they offered has vanished except in very small communities. The return to the old way of life is a little more expensive but the satisfaction experienced has been lost.


During the preceding century, Stockton has seen many local, regional and national grocers come and go. The city was an early location for Piggly Wiggly and Safeway, while later there were Alpha-Beta,. Albertsons early California stores. Centro-Marts, Fry's and Lucky Stores also operated stores in Stockton

Stockton is where the Black's stores, Green Frog, Centromarts, Don Quick, Gaines, and a Save-Mart (a local chain with nothing to do with the Modesto Modesto, San Jose and Fresno Save-marts), originated. The stores listed below are all out of business, have become other markets or other type of use.

Click any thumbnail and it becomes a slideshow where you can then scroll through the slides. Or select Auto Play or use the mouse or keyboard arrow keys to scroll through all images

Former 88 Market - Waterloo Rd.   Click to EnlargeFormer 88 Market - Waterloo Rd. - Far right photo courtesy of Terry Gust

American Market Company - East Weber Avenue

Click to Enlarge
A&L Market - 100% North Yosemite - Former Blacks Market - 1940 - 1950

Former Albertsons /Former Payless Supermarket - 6435 Pacific Avenue in Lincoln Center South. Payless subsequently sold their supermarket chain to Albertson's. Albertsons later sold their Northern California stores to Save-Mart of Modesto. They could not use the Save-Mart name in Stockton, so the stores were named S-mart. It later became a Food Bank Store. A Safeway store is at this location today 6435 Pacific Avenue

Former Albertsons / Food Bank - 1060 N. Wilson Way  - Now a Grocery Outlet

Former Alpha Beta - 1449 W. March Lane

Click to Enlarge
Former Antoini's Market - 2202 E. Fremont Street

Click to Enlarge
Bel Air Market - 230 E. Charter Way - Stetson's Market / Dicks Market / today a El Mercado

Click to Enlarge
Former Berry's Market - 1148 S. San Joaquin Former Council for the Spanish Speaking (76) / Berry's Market / Habeeb Grocery (50)

Former Blacks Markets

Click to Enlarge Thumb
No.9 - 519 E. Charter Way (1955) - Became Jacks Food
Click to Enlarge Thumb
No.1 - 301 N. El Dorado - (1937) Became a Green Spot (1957)
Click to Enlarge Thumb
No.5 - 1230 E. Harding Way. (1950)
Click to Enlarge Thumb
No.10 - 106 Lincoln Center - Now Podesto's
Click to Enlarge Thumb
The original Blacks - Main & Center Streets
Click to Enlarge Thumb
No.4 - 2209 East Main Street (1940-1950) - Don Quicks, 1965 - Now a Church
Click to Enlarge Thumb
No 8 - Monte Diablo and Buena Vista (1950s) Now a halfway house
Click to Enlarge Thumb
No 2 - 2112 Pacific, - Became a Gaines Market (1957)
Click to Enlarge Thumb
No.10 - 2222 Pacific Avenue (1950)
Click to Enlarge Thumb
No.7 - 902 Waterloo Rd. (1950) / Became Carpet Corner / Green Frog
Click to Enlarge Thumb
No.3 - 100% N. Yosemite. - Now A&L Market

1890's Black's Family Grocery Store - Northeast corner Main & Center. Operated by Alexander and Houston Black. The family later operated grocery stores all over the Central Valley including stores in Fresno and Stockton.

Former Blacks Markets - - Blacks had six Stockton Markets in 1955;
No.1 - 301 N. El Dorado - (1937) Became a Green Spot (1957)
No 2 - 2112 Pacific, - Became a Gaines Market (1957)
No.3 - 100% N. Yosemite. - Now A&L Market
No.4 - 2209 East Main Street (1940-1950) - Don Quicks, 1965 - Now a Church
No.5 - 1230 E. Harding Way. (1950)
No.6 - 528 East Weber - 1940-1950
No.7 - 902 Waterloo Rd. (1950) / Became Carpet Corner / Green Frog
No 8 - Monte Diablo and Buena Vista (1950s) Now a halfway house
No.9 - 519 E. Charter Way (1955) - Became Jacks Food
No.10 - 2222 Pacific Avenue (1950)
No.11 - 106 Lincoln Center - Now Podesto's

Fred Black lived at 806 S. Regent

Former Centromart Stores

Click to Enlarge Thumb
2150 West Alpine - Opened in the 1960s Now a Dollar General Market
Click to Enlarge Thumb
Former Street Car Barns. Became Centro-Mart in 1960 and in 1990 to Alpine Market - North California St.
Click to Enlarge Thumb
111 South Center - Demolished - Today, the Greyhound Bus Depot location - Photo courtesy of Ron Chapman
Click to Enlarge Thumb
111 South Center - Demolished - Today, the Greyhound Bus Depot location - Photo courtesy of Ron Chapman
Click to Enlarge Thumb
310 W. Charter Way - Former Safeway - Now a Dollar General Market
Former Centromart - Now a Church 2222 Lever Blvd<br>  Click to Enlarge
Former Centromart - Now a Church 2222 Lever Blvd
Former Centromart - Now a Church 2222 Lever Blvd<br>  Click to Enlarge
Former Centromart - Now a Church 2222 Lever Blvd - Photo courtesy of Ron Chapman
Click to Enlarge Thumb
Centromart - 7920 Lower Sacramento Rd. - Photo courtesy of Floyd Perry Jr.
Click to Enlarge Thumb
4232 East Main St.  - Now a Dollar General Market
Click to Enlarge Thumb
6112 Pacific Avenue - Centro-Mart #2 - Became a Carpet Store - Now a thrift store
Click to Enlarge Thumb
Former Centromart - 2907 Waterloo Rd. Photo courtesy of Ron Chapman
Click to Enlarge Thumb
445 W. Weber - Former Centro-Mart Warehouse
Click to Enlarge Thumb
1800 N. Wilson Way and Bradford / Former Country Store/ Rolla-torium Skating Rink  - Photo courtesy of Floyd Perry Jr.
Click to Enlarge Thumb
Centromart Logo

Centro Mart - Centro-Mart Inc., was a locally owned and operated grocery chain for 65 years, the four remaining Stockton stores closed at the end of 2011. Jimmy Ming Lam, the longtime chairman, president and CEO of Centro-Mart Inc., died at the age of 80. at the first part of 2011. Mel Young became the local grocery chain’s president and chief executive.

The four Stockton markets subsequently reopened as Dollar General Stores, a Tennessee-based retailer with 9,800 stores across the nation The Goodlettsville, Tenn.-based Dollar General leased the four Stockton buildings - 310 Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. Blvd., 4232 E. Main St., 2907 E. Waterloo Road and 2150 W. Alpine Ave. from Centro-Mart. At one time CentroMart had 10 Stockton Stores, plus their warehouse at 445 W Weber which is now "The Waterfront Warehouse".

Previous Centro-Mart Stores were on Wilson Way, Lower Sacramento, S. Center, Lever Blvd and Pacific Ave.

I ran across an article in an Oakley newspaper showing the Centro-Mart there was formerly a Daylite Market. The 1945 Stockton City shows two Daylite Markets in Stockton, but no Centro-Marts. One at 111 S. Center (Today a Greyhound Bus Depot) where the Centro-Mart was located in 1955 and another at 105 S. California St. (now a parking garage)

Former Street Car Barns. Became Centro-Mart in 1960 and in 1990 to Alpine Market - North California St. Today it's the Alpine Market

2150 W. Alpine - Opened in the 1960s Now a Dollar General Market

111 S. Center - Demolished - Today, it's the Greyhound Bus Depot location.

310 W. Charter Way
- Former Safeway - Now a Dollar General Market 

2222 Lever Blvd
- Now a Church

7920 Lower Sacramento Rd
. - Former New Deal Market

4232 East Main St.  - Now a Dollar General Market

6112 Pacific Avenue - Centro-Mart #2 - Now a second hand store

2907 Waterloo Rd. - Now a Dollar General Market

445 W. Weber - Centro-Mart Warehouse

1800 N. Wilson Way and Bradford / Former Country Store/ Rolla-torium Skating Rink

1320 W. Lockeford, Lodi Ca

11th Street, Tracy

Click to Enlarge
Cox's Grocery - 639 S. Hinkley - 1967

Click to Enlarge
Curnow Brothers Grocery Meats and Bakery at 445 N. San Joaquin and Fremont.

Former Don Quick Stores

Click to Enlarge Thumb
 Benjamin Holt Now Marina Market Place- In Lincoln Village West  - Photo courtesy of Floyd Perry Jr.
Click to Enlarge Thumb
Lincoln Center - Former Blacks, Gaines, Don Quicks and now, Podesto's
Former Don Quick's (1970-84) - Gaines Market from 1955-1970 - 4115 N. El Dorado St. - Dollar General Market <br>  Click to Enlarge
4115 N. El Dorado St. - Photo courtesy of Floyd Perry Jr.. See comments below
Click to Enlarge Thumb
8626 Lower Sacramento Rd. - Today A Super King Market
Click to Enlarge Thumb
2209 E. Main St. Also a former Blacks store
Click to Enlarge Thumb
Don Quick / Safeway / Consumers Discount / Grand Save. 2481 E. Main Streets. now  a Super Mercado
Click to Enlarge Thumb
Once was the Green Frog Emporium / Blacks / Don Quick before moving next door just to the west
Click to Enlarge Thumb
1832 Monte Diablo Ave. This location was sold in 1983. Today it is Big Valley Foods
Former Don Quick Market - 2222 Pacific Ave<br>  Click to Enlarge
2222 Pacific Avenue - Also a former Blacks Market
Click to Enlarge Thumb
No. 1 - 2725 Waterloo Rd - Don Quicks Market was there from 1946 to 1983
Click to Enlarge Thumb
Former Don Quicks (mid 1950s) - 1605 West Washington St

Founded by Max Podesto in 1949 at 2725 Waterloo Road. They eventually had a local chain of 10 markets in Stockton and 1 each in Rio Vista, Oakdale, Tracy and Sonora. Former Markets include: 1, Waterloo Rd, 2. Benjamin Holt, 3, Monte Diablo, 4&5. East Main Street, 6. Pacific Avenue, 7. North El Dorado, 8, West Weber, 9. Lincoln Center, and 10. Lower Sacramento Rd. The last Don Quick closed in Stockton in 1990. The actual last Don Quick was sold in 1991, the Rio Vista location

Former Don Quick Market - Once was the Green Frog Emporium / Blacks / Don Quick before moving next door just to the west where Big Valley Food is Now The Alamo Club - Corner of Mt. Diablo and Buena Vista

Former Don Quick Market - Benjamin Holt Now Marina Market Place- In Lincoln Village West

4115 N. El Dorado St. - Dollar General Market - The list is getting longer; Former Gaines Market (1955-1970)(Photo courtesy of Floyd Perry Jr.), Don Quick's (1970-84), Ye Olde Market (1984-93), Hampton & Podesta Market (1993-97), Health Care Supply Store (1997-04), American Home Furnishings (2005-12), Dollar General Store (2012-

Former Don Quick Market - 8626 Lower Sacramento Rd. - Today A Super King Market

Former Don Quick Market - 2209 E. Main St.

Don Quick / Safeway / Consumers Discount / Grand Save and others at 2481 E. Main and Filbert Streets. Today a Super Mercado -

Former Don Quick Market at 1832 Monte Diablo Ave. This location was sold in 1983. Today it is Big Valley Foods.

Former Don Quick Market - 2222 Pacific Avenue

Former Don Quick Market at 2725 Waterloo Rd - Don Quicks Market was there from 1946 to 1983. Another market operated there for a year before Joe Lents Carpets moved there in 1985. Now occupied by Victory Outreach Church of Stockton. They been around for some time, but with the recent rise of violence, they have decided to take their message of peace and literally blast it into the streets so people have no choice but to listen to what they have to say.

Former Don Quick Market (mid 1950s) - 1605 West Washington St

Click to Enlarge
2163 S. San Joaquin - El Amigo Market / Mabel's Market (76) Southside Market (57)/ JD Ferarro Grocery (50)

Click to Enlarge
Former El Ricardo Market SE corner of Flora and D Streets

Click to Enlarge
Gaia Delucchi Delicatessen & Grocery Store - 140 North American Street - The Gaia Delucchi Delicatessen was originally located on Market Street. The business was moved to the N. American Street location in the late 1920s. Stockton City Directories list A. J. Gault Auto as an occupant of 140 N. ·American by 1935and through 1945. Gaia Delucchi Co. is listed as the sole occupant by 1950. It was example of an industrial architecture influenced by the Art Deco Style. The Delucchi family was well-known in Stockton, and famous for their Italian foods. - The building was demolished. Today it's just a vacant lot

Click to Enlarge
Former Food Fair Market - 2053 E. Mariposa Rd. - Today a Big Value Market

Click to Enlarge
Former Fry's Market - 3233 Hammer Lane - Fry's started out in the San Francisco Bay area, and spread into Arizona and Nevada They were acquired by Kroger during the 1980s. The Northern California stores were sold to Save-Mart in 1989. Other stores remain in operation. Fry’s Electronics stores were part of the same family and use a similar logo, although are otherwise unrelated.

Former Gaines Markets

Click to Enlarge Thumb
Former Gaines Market - 2244 Airport Way - Photo courtesy of Ron Chapman
Click to Enlarge Thumb
Former Gaines Market - 3314 Delaware, corner of Alpine - Now a Dance Studio - Photo courtesy ofFloyd Perry Jr
Click to Enlarge Thumb
Gaines Market from 1955-1970, Don Quick Market in 1975 - 4115 North El Dorado Street - Kevin Gaines photo
Click to Enlarge Thumb
Former Gaines Market - 110 N. Filbert St - Thanks to Floyd Perry jr.
Former Gaines Market - Mayfair Center - 6045 N. El Dorado - Photo courtesy ofKevin Gaines<br>  Click to Enlarge
Former Gaines Market - 6045 North  El Dorado St - Mayfair Shopping Center -   Kevin Gaines photo
First Gaines Market - 1563 E. Fremont - Photo courtesy ofKevin Gaines<br>  Click to Enlarge
First Gaines Market - 1563 E. Fremont - Building now occupied by Angelina's - Kevin Gaines photo
Former Gaines Market - Lincoln Center - Photo courtesy ofKevin Gaines<br>  Click to Enlarge
Former Gaines Market - 106 Lincoln Center - Photo courtesy ofKevin Gaines
Click to Enlarge Thumb
Former Gaines Market - 2112 Pacific Avenue  - Also a former Blacks Market

Former Gaines Market - 2244 Airport Way
Former Gaines Market - 3314 Delaware, corner of Alpine - Now a Dance Studio
Former Gaines Market from 1955-1970, Don Quick Market in 1975 before it became a Furniture store - 4115 N. El Dorado Street - Today, it's Dollar General Market
Former Gaines Market - 6045 N.  El Dorado St - Mayfair Shopping Center
Former Gaines Market - 110 N. Filbert St.
First Gaines Market - 1563 E. Fremont St / Today Angelina's Spaghetti House
Former Gaines Market - 106 Lincoln Center
Former Gaines Market - 2112 Pacific Avenue

Click to Enlarge
Former Giant Food Market - Later a Centromart. Waterloo Rd. Today A Dollar General Store

Green Frog

Click to Enlarge Thumb Former Green Frog - 523 E. Charter Way same as Jacks's Food 519 E. Charter Way
Click to Enlarge Thumb Former Green Frog - Blacks / Green Spot - 301 N. El Dorado St. Demolished
Click to Enlarge Thumb Former Green Frog Food Emporium - 1930-1970 - 902 Waterloo Rd -Courtesy of Ron Chapman
Click to Enlarge Thumb Former Green Frog Food Emporium - 701 East Weber  9145 - 1950 - Green Spot Food. then Felix & Betty's Italian Restaurant
Click to Enlarge Thumb Former Green Frog / Blacks / Now small shops - 2222 Pacific Avenue

The Stockton chain had four locations by 1948 when the owner sold the stores and began building new Green Frog Markets in San Francisco, San Jose and Oakland.

Click to Enlarge
Former Green Spot Market - 1910 Country Club in 1957 - Later a Radio Shack Store - Today Casagrandes Delicatessen & Catering

Click to Enlarge
Former G&G Market - 2301 E. Vine St

Click to Enlarge
Click to Enlarge
Hammond and Yardley Groceries - 223 East Weber Avenue- The building was part of the Hammond and Yardley Grocery Store, once two stories tall. The 1895 and 1917 Stockton Sanborn Maps reveal that there was once a two-story building on this site, but by the time the 1950 map was drawn, a one-story building was present. The Stockton City Directory listed the building as the Pleasanton House by 1912 and through 1925. By 1930, the building was listed as the Skaggs Safeway Stores and the Bradford Hotel. By 1940, it had been converted into F. L. Williams. Real Estate and State Building and Loan, and in 1945, the Stockton Realty Board, State Savings & Loan Association and Williams Real. Estate were all located here. In the 1960s, the facade and interior were altered to accommodate a thrift shop. Photographs reveal a metal or wood panel placed over the upper portion of the facade, and a large display window in each of the two narrow bays. The screen has since been removed, and the facade remodeled to an Art Deco style.

Click to Enlarge
J.N. Harrison & Sons Grocery - 135 N. California St. 1915. Today, part of the RTD block

Click to Enlarge
Click to Enlarge
Hart & Thrift Grocery. 401-407 E. Weber Avenue. The building's original owners, John Hart and E.E. Thrift, were two of Stockton's commercial pioneers and regarded as highly respected gentlemen. Their grocery store carried a "choice lot of groceries and provisions." - Today, it's part of the RTD Block

Click to Enlarge
Hi & Bye Market 505 W. Harding Way - former Segarini's

Click to Enlarge
Former Jack's Food Center - 519 E. Charter Way

Jewel Tea - 738 E. Market St - The former Goodwill Building

Click to Enlarge
Jones Hewlitt Groceries - 1860

Click to Enlarge
King's Market - 1749 S. California St. / Today Salam Market

King's Market - 2654 E. Main St. / Today Realty World Dave Thurman

Click to Enlarge
Knutzen and Ewertsen, Grocers. This building at 704 East Lindsay has housed various businesses and residents since its beginning. By 1930, Knutzen and Ewertsen, grocers, and Jasper Ksinner, miller were listed here, along with H. L. Nickerson, Mrs. Emma Lee. and Sarah Bennett The grocery store remained in this location through 1950, though the name changed to Migraoco Grocery by 1945. By 1950, The Canteen, a vending machine company, occupied the store front at 708 E. Lindsay.

Lucky Stores was founded by Charles Crouch as Peninsula Stores Limited in 1931 with the acquisition of Piggly Wiggly stores in Burlingame, San Mateo, Redwood City, Palo Alto and San Jose. By 1935, seven more stores had been added, including the company's first stores in the East Bay, in Berkeley and Oakland.

Lucky had a big influence in transitioning from small store to supermarket.

Its first flagship store opened in 1947 in San Leandro, California. It featured a coffee shop and other conveniences. Also known as "Lucky #50", this store was managed for years by San Leandro native Anthony (Tony) Minniti. the years, it remained a highly profitable store during his tenure. After his retirement, the store's customer base (and profitability) declined over time. It was the last Lucky Store to be re-branded after the takeover by Albertsons. Due to dwindling profits, it later closed in 2005

By 1988, Lucky became a part of American Stores Company, along with Jewel-Osco, Acme Markets, Alpha Beta, Buttrey Food & Drug, Osco Drug, Sav-on Drugs, and Star Market. The Alpha Beta stores in Northern California became Lucky Stores. A number of Southern California branches were sold to Ralphs. Some Lucky Stores with combined food and drug changed their name to Lucky-Sav-on as part of the merger.

In 1998, American Stores was bought out by Albertsons, which became briefly the largest grocery retailer in the United States, but became second after Kroger acquired Fred Meyer the following month. In the year that followed, all Lucky Stores took the Albertsons name, and the Lucky brand was phased out, in order to not create confusion. In Central California, many Lucky Stores were bought by Save Mart Supermarkets and now operate as Save Mart using the S-Mart name as there was already a Save Mart name being used in Stockton and Lodi.

Click to Enlarge
Former Lucky Store - Pacific & Alpine

Click to Enlarge
Former Lucky's Milk & Ice Cream - 530 E. Charter Way

Click to Enlarge
Mac Disco - 110 N. Filbert. Thanks to Floyd Perry Jr.

Click to Enlarge
Mac Disco Wonderworld - 2542 S. El Dorado Street

Click to Enlarge
Former March's Market - 47 W. Harding Way. Today it's March's Liquors

1601 S. Sutter
Marks Grocery (1967) - 1601 S. Sutter

Click to Enlarge
Martha Washington Grocery Stores - 522 East Weber - By 1923 there were 56 Martha Washington Stores in California. The chain disappeared by 1928 - The building still stands today

Click to Enlarge
Former Morada Market - I knew Silva and Ernie Canepa when they owned the Morada Market, however they sold the market in 2004 to a Fresno family and as often happens the new owners just didn't have the same relationship with the customers

Click to Enlarge
Former New Deal Market - 2015 E. Mariposa Rd - Today Don Juan foods

Click to Enlarge
Former Oak Market Grocery - 947 S. San Joaquin

Click to Enlarge
Former Oak Park Market - E. Alpine

Click to Enlarge
Click to Enlarge
P&J Market - 1608 S. Adelbert

Click to Enlarge
Payless Supermarket - 6435 Pacific Avenue in Lincoln Center South. Payless subsequently sold their supermarket chain to Albertson's. Albertsons later sold their Northern California stores to Save-Mart of Modesto. They could not use the Save-Mart name in Stockton, so the stores were named S-mart. A Safeway store is at this location today - Photo courtesy of Floyd Perry Jr.

Former Piggly Wiggly Markets

30 E. Acacia - Click to Enlarge
Former Piggly Wiggly Market -46 W. Acacia Street
Former Piggly Wiggly Market - 1400 S. California St. Today it's Deportes Holanda / Former Normans Auto Supply / Green Frog Food Emporium (1942-43)and Piggly Wiggly before that <br>   Click to Enlarge
Former Piggly Wiggly Market - 1400 S. California Street
Former Piggly Wiggly Market - 1304 N. El Dorado and Vine - A 1933 Photo of the Piggly Wiggly Store at El Dorado and Vine Streets. They called it Store 600 - Many of the old Safeway stores around were former Piggly Wiggly Stores<br>  Click to Enlarge
Former Piggly Wiggly Market - 1304 N. El Dorado Street
Former Piggly Wiggly Market - 1802 S. El Dorado St. At 4th Street <br>   Click to Enlarge
Former Piggly Wiggly Market - 1802 S. El Dorado Street
Former Piggly Wiggly Market - 2153 E. Main <br>   Click to Enlarge
Former Piggly Wiggly Market - 2153 E. Main
Former Piggly Wiggly Market - 323 E. Market Street <br>   Click to Enlarge
Former Piggly Wiggly Market - 323 E. Market Street
Former Piggly Wiggly Market - 1910 Pacific Avenue /  Oris's Bakery (1942)<br>   Click to Enlarge
Former Piggly Wiggly Market -1910 Pacific Avenue
Former Piggly Wiggly Market - 1910 Pacific Avenue  /  Oris's Bakery (1942)<br>   Click to Enlarge
Former Piggly Wiggly Market -1910 Pacific Avenue
Former Piggly Wiggly Market 1930 - - 1 S. Wilson Way former Safeway 1935 <br>   Click to Enlarge
Former Piggly Wiggly Market -1 S. Wilson Way
Former Piggly Wiggly Market - 914 North Wilson Way - Now a Restaurant <br>   Click to Enlarge
Former Piggly Wiggly Market -914 North Wilson Way
445-447 East Weber - built in 1921 - The Delta Building was opened in November of 1921 for the Piggly Wiggly organization as a grocery store. By 1928, City Directories listed the Majestic Meat Market and B. Somers Delicatessen along with the Piggly Wiggly. By 1930, there was no listing for the building. In 1935, the City Directory listed a labor temple at 443, but 445 was vacant. By 1940, 443 was called the Progressive Building, and Hansen Carter Stationary was located at 447. The 1945 Directory listed the addition of a Singer Sewing Machine shop at 445. By 1950, it had become the Corset Shop, and 447 was listed as Hansen Printers and Scott Stationary. In the late 1970s, 445 was the Peniel Gospel Lighthouse<br>   Click to Enlarge
 Former Piggly Wiggly Market - 445-447 East Weber

Former Piggly Wiggly Markets - In 1928 - Safeway acquired Piggly Wiggly of The Pacific which included 91 stores (including 7 Stockton Stores) Most of these stores continued to operate under the Piggly Wiggly name for several years. These stores included: 1400 S. California Street, 46 W. Acacia Street, 1304 N. El Dorado Street, 1802 S. El Dorado Street, 323 E. Market Street, 1910 Pacific Avenue, 914 North Wilson Way, 445-447 East Weber

Click to Enlarge
Former Quick Stop Market - 1414 E. Harding Way - Tire & Wheel Pros
Click to Enlarge
Former Redwood Market - 1319 East Harding Way - Next door to former Dicks Drive In - And the building was Redwood Color at one time and it also had a wood shake roof - It looked much better back then

Safeway Stores in Stockton

Click to Enlarge Thumb
Former Safeway - 15 W. Harding Way Walgreens - Also a Center Street Address
Click to Enlarge Thumb
Former Safeway /Centro-Mart - Charter Way - Now a Dollar General Market
Click to Enlarge Thumb
Former Safeway - 1930-1950 - 348 East Charter Way - Today a hair Salon 
Click to Enlarge Thumb
2720 Country Club - Big Lots. Safeway moved next door - Courtesy of Floyd PerryJr.
Click to Enlarge Thumb
Former Skaggs Safeway - 1925-1950 - 2208 E. Main St - Casa Mexicana Panaderia / Market
Click to Enlarge Thumb
Former Safeway - 1940-1950 - 600 N. El Dorado St - Today an Auto Supply Store
Click to Enlarge Thumb Don Quick / Former Safeway / Consumers Discount / Grand Save.. 2481 E. Main / Mercado

Former Safeway - 1940-1955 - 1861 Pacific Avenue - Miracle Mile
Click to Enlarge Thumb Former Safeway - 1902 Pacific Avenue - 1930-35
Click to Enlarge Thumb
Former Safeway /  6632 Pacific. Courtesy of Floyd Perry Jr.
Click to Enlarge Thumb
Former Safeway - 233 East Weber - 1930s
Click to Enlarge Thumb
Former Safeway - 1940-1955 - 630 East Weber - Today a church
Click to Enlarge Thumb
Former Safeway - 340 North Wilson Way - Now a tire store
Click to Enlarge Thumb
Safeway - 1935 - Piggly-Wiggly 1930 - 1 South Wilson Way
Click to Enlarge Thumb
 Former Safeway, 948 North Yosemite - 1930 - 1940 - Now a Restaurant
Click to Enlarge Thumb Open  - Safeway - Country Club and I-5 -
Click to Enlarge Thumb Open  - Safeway - 6445 Pacific Avenue  - Lincoln Center

Trying to make sense of the Albertsons / Haggen / Lucky / Pavilions / Save Mart / Safeway / Vons Merry-go-round

Albertsons

Albertsons was founded by Joe Albertson on July 21, 1939 in Boise, Idaho

In 1999, Albertsons made its biggest acquisition yet: American Stores Company, which included the chains ACME in Pennsylvania, New Jersey, Maryland, and Delaware; Lucky in California and Nevada; Jewel and Jewel-Osco in Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, and Michigan, and two pharmacy chains: Osco Drug and Sav-on Drugs. The acquisition briefly made Albertsons the largest American food and drug operator, with over 2,500 stores (including stand-alone drug stores) in 37 states, until Kroger's acquisition of Fred Meyer closed the following month. To make the acquisition, Albertsons was forced by anti-trust concerns to sell 146 stores, primarily in California, Nevada, and New Mexico.

Lucky

In southern California, there were already Albertsons, so in order to not have two banners in the same area, Lucky stores were converted to the Albertsons banner in November 1999, and the Lucky brand name was retired.

Save Mart

In November 2006, Save Mart Supermarkets acquired Albertsons' Northern California and Northern Nevada locations and began operating the stores in February 2007. The company gradually converted all the stores to its Save Mart banner, except for stores in the San Francisco Bay area, which were rebranded as Lucky. Most of the Albertsons locations had originally been branded as Lucky before Albertson's 1999 purchase of American Stores.

On January 10, 2013, it was announced that Supervalu was selling New Albertsons (Albertsons and the ASC purchased stores) to Cerberus Capital Management, which own the rest of the Albertsons stores. Since then, the Albertsons LLC-owned stores have come into the fold. In February 23, 2013, Albertsons LLC announced it would split operations of the combined chain into five divisions: Northwestern, Intermountain, Southern California, Southern, and Southwestern.

In December 2014, Albertsons announced that the Haggen Company, a Bellingham, WA based grocery chain, was buying 146 Safeway, Albertsons and Vons stores, as required by the antitrust review of the merger. On January 30, 2015, Albertsons officially acquired Safeway Inc. after being cleared by the FTC, thus giving it control of the Safeway store banners, including Randalls, Tom Thumb, Carrs Safeway, Vons, and Pavilions, plus Safeway's 49% share of Casa Ley, a Mexican grocery chain. Following the merger, Albertsons announced the new company would have 14 divisions led by three regional offices.

SAFEWAY

In April 1915, Marion Barton Skaggs purchased his father's 576-square-foot grocery store in American Falls, Idaho, for $1,089. The chain, which operated as two separate businesses, Skaggs Cash Stores and Skaggs United Stores, grew quickly, and Skaggs enlisted the help of his five brothers to help grow the network of stores. M.B.'s business strategy, to give his customers value and to expand by keeping a narrow profit margin, proved spectacularly successful. By 1926, he had opened 428 Skaggs stores in 10 states. M.B. almost doubled the size of his business that year when he merged his company with 322 Safeway stores and incorporated as Safeway, Inc

On February 19, 2014, Safeway began to explore selling itself, and as of February 21, 2014 it was in advanced negotiations with Cerberus Capital Management. On March 6, 2014, Cerberus (parent company of Albertsons) announced it would purchase Safeway for $9.4 billion in a deal expected to close in the 4th quarter of the year. On July 25, 2014, Safeway stockholders approved the merger with Albertsons.

VONS

Vons is a Southern California and Southern Nevada supermarket chain owned by Albertsons. It is headquartered in Fullerton, California, and operates stores under the Vons and Pavilions banners.

Charles Von der Ahe opened a 20-foot wide store named Von's Groceteria in downtown Los Angeles, California, in 1906. The business had grown to 87 stores by 1928, when he sold the operation to MacMarr Stores. MacMarr was acquired by M.B. Skaggs' Safeway in 1930. In 1932, his sons Theodore and Wilfred restarted the Von's Grocery Company.

In October 1985, Vons introduced Pavilions, a "combination store" concept which offered a wider variety of upscale products as well as pharmacy and other non-food products and services. Some stores that were smaller were branded Pavilions Place. In 1988, Safeway sold most of its stores in southern California and southern Nevada to Vons in exchange for an ownership stake. In April 1997, Safeway exercised its option to acquire full control of the company, and Vons has since operated as a subsidiary. Most of the Safeway brands and advertising campaigns are used by the Vons stores.

SAFEWAY/PIGGLY WIGGLY was the first true self-service grocery store. It was founded on September 6, 1916, at 79 Jefferson Avenue in Memphis, Tennessee, by Clarence Saunders

In 1928 Safeway acquired Piggly Wiggly Pacific with 91 grocery stores and 84 meat markets On February 19, 2014, Safeway began to explore selling itself. On March 6, 2014 Cerberus Capital Management (which also owns rival grocery chain Albertsons) announced it would purchase Safeway for $9.4 billion in a deal expected to close in the 4th quarter of the year. In March 2014, Cerberus Capital Management (which also owns rival grocery chain Albertsons) agreed to terms to purchase Vons' parent, Safeway. Cerberus' plans to merge the chains would likely result in store closures, especially with both Vons and Albertsons having a significant presence in Southern California.

In late 2014, the FTC mandated that the new Albertson's/Safeway merger sell off almost 200 stores to allow for sufficient competition in markets where both Safeway and Albertson's stores had existed in price rivalry.

HAGGEN

One of the key buyers was Bellingham, Washington-based Haggen grocers which rebranded the newly purchased stores in Washington, Oregon, California, Arizona, and Nevada in early 2015 only to closed the affected stores just months later after Haggen was forced into bankruptcy as a result of purchasing the new stores

In January 2015, Bellingham, Washington headquartered grocery chain, Haggen announced it would buy 146 Vons, Albertsons and Pavilions stores across Washington, Oregon, California, Nevada, and Arizona as part of anti-monopoly requirements following the merger. Some of the major metropolitan areas affected were Los Angeles, Portland, Phoenix, Tucson, San Diego, Bakersfield, Seattle, and Las Vegas.

On January 30, 2015, the merger between Safeway and Albertsons was finalized


Former Safeway /Centro-Mart - Charter Way - Now a Dollar General Market

Former Safeway - 1930-1950 - 348 East Charter Way - Today a hair Salon

Former Safeway - 2720 Country Club - Now a Big Lots. Safeway has a new building next door at 2808 Country Club - Safeway opened this store when they closed the 2481 E. East Main Store

Safeway - 1940-1950 - 600 N. El Dorado St - Today an Auto Supply Store

Former Skaggs Safeway Store - 1925-1950 - 2208 E. Main St - Casa Mexicana Panaderia / Former D&F Market

Former Safeway - 6632 Pacific Avenue - Michaels Arts & Crafts - Demolished and Now a CVS Pharmacy

Former Safeway - 1902 Pacific Avenue - 1930-35 before they moved across the street to the building TAP plastic is in at 1861 Pacific 1940-1955 - Today, the Stockton Art League

Former Safeway - 1940-1955 - 1861 Pacific Avenue - Miracle Mile

Former Safeway - 233 East Weber - 1930s

Former Safeway - 1940-1955 - 630 East Weber - Today a church

Former Skaggs Cash Store,  702-706 East Weber Avenue, 1930 -Skaggs Safeway, 1935 just Safeway, 1945-1970 Western Auto

Former Safeway - 340 North Wilson Way - Check out that 1956 Chrysler in the back - Photo date is Apr 29, 2012 - Now a tire store

Safeway - 1935 - Piggly-Wiggly 1930 - 1 South Wilson Way

Former Safeway - 201 South Wilson Way - 1930-1945 - Now Crosstown Freeway

Former Safeway, 948 North Yosemite - 1930 - 1940 - Now a Restaurant

San Joaquin Market - 502 S. San  Joaquin

Click to Enlarge
Click to Enlarge
Former S&G Market / Former 99 Market - Today A El Mercado Mexican Market - S&G stood for Steve & Gus- This is a mom and pop market in South Stockton, not the nicest neighborhood. This picture was taken in 2004. It is now a Mexican Market called SUPER MERCADO LA AMAPOLA #2. It is located at 1900 South El Dorado Street near Edison High School.

Modesto based S-Mart, Save-Mart Foods, Lucky, Albertson Banners.

Click to Enlarge Thumb  Closed - S-Mart - 3733 W. Hammer Lane - Hammer Lane and Kelly Drive - Former Fry's
alt=Former - S-Mart - Now SF Supermarket (aka - Shun Fat Supermarket) - 8004 N. West Lane
alt= Closed - S-Mart / Frys / John's Pizza - Pershing and March Lane
alt= Former S-Mart / Albertsons - 1060 N. Wilson Way  - Now a Grocery Outlet

alt=  Closed - Former S-Mart - 1616 E. March Lane - March and West Lane - Former Albertsons
Click to Enlarge Thumb Open - Save Mart - 6435 Pacific Avenue - Hammer Ranch / Former S-Mart / Former / Albertsons
Click to Enlarge Thumb Open - Save Mart - 4725 Quail Lakes Drive - Former - S-Mart / Former Albertsons
Click to Enlarge Thumb
Open - Save Mart - 3215 Pacific Avenue - Alpine and Pacific - Former S-Mart /  Lucky Store

In February of 2007, Save Mart of Modesto announced an agreement to acquired 132 Albertsons LLC stores in Northern California and Northern Nevada. The Save Mart acquired stores were gradually be re-branded over the course of nine months. Those in the Bay Area were rebranded Lucky, whereas the rest were opened under the Save Mart banner, except for Stockton where there was already a Stockton based Save Mart Chain, so the new stores were branded S-Mart. Save-Mart has since sold the West & Hammer Lane store to SF Supermarkets, the Wilson & Waterloo store to Grocery Outlet and closed the March & Pershing store, Hammer Lane & Kelley Drive store and March & West Lane Store. Stockton Based Save-Marts have closed and now Modesto based S-Marts have been rebranded as Save-Mart Stores.

Click to Enlarge
Closed Stockton Based Save-Mart - 3310 E. Main Street Now a Superior Super Mercardo

Click to Enlarge
Former Stockton Based Save Mart - 1536 Waterloo Road and D Street. Today a Superior Super Mercardo - Courtesy of Floyd Perry Jr.

Click to Enlarge
Former Save-Mor Market - 2571 McKinley

Former Segarini's Markets

Segarini’s Markets were an institution in Stockton for decades. Started with one small store at Ellis and San Joaquin Streets in 1923. The family lived above the first store at Ellis and San Joaquin streets., The chain grew to include stores on El Dorado Street, Pershing Avenue, Hammer Lane, Harding Way and Airport Way. The chain peaked in the 1960s. Currently, the family operates Segarini’s Liquors and Market at 125 E. Jamestown St. in Stockton.
Click to Enlarge Thumb
Former Segarini's Market.  - 2318 South Airport Way - Today a Grand Save Market
Click to Enlarge Thumb
Former Segarini's Market - Country Club and Pershing
Click to Enlarge Thumb
Former Segarini's Market - Segarinis Market was in this location at 2320 North El Dorado between Adams and Hampton
Click to Enlarge Thumb
Former Segarini's Market / Hi-Bye 505 West Harding Way - Burned to the ground and demolished - Photo courtesy ofRon Chapman
Click to Enlarge Thumb
Former Segarini's Market - 7943 Thornton Rd. Later The Toy Box - Hammer Lane and Thornton Rd - Now a Furniture Store
Click to Enlarge Thumb
Former Segarini's Market - 7943 Thornton Rd. Later The Toy Box - Hammer Lane and Thornton Rd - Now a Furniture Store

Former Segarini's Market - Country Club and Pershing

Former Segarini's Market - Segarinis Market was in this location at 2320 North El Dorado between Adams and Hampton. Now The Shell El Dorado Food Market

Former Segarini's Market - 7943 Thornton Rd. Later The Toy Box - Hammer Lane and Thornton Rd - Now a Furniture Store

Former Segarini's Market / Hi-Bye 505 West Harding Way - Burned to the ground and demolished - Photo courtesy ofRon Chapman

Former Segarini's Market.  - 2318 South Airport Way - Today a Grand Save Market

Former Sibs's Markets

Click to Enlarge Thumb
Former Sibs Market / Gaines Market - 3314 Delaware, corner of Alpine - Now a Dance Studio
Click to Enlarge Thumb
Former Sibs Market - Hammer Lane - Photo courtesy of Floyd Perry Jr.
Click to Enlarge Thumb
Former Sibs Market - 10038 N. Highway 99" - Photo courtesy ofFloyd Perry Jr.
Click to Enlarge Thumb
Former Sibs Market - 301 S. Wilson Way

Former Sibs Market / Gaines Market - 3314 Delaware, corner of Alpine - Now a Dance Studio

Former Sibs Market - Hammer Lane

Former Sibs Market - 10038 North Highway 99

Former Sibs Market - 301 S. Wilson Way

Click to Enlarge
Tony's Market - 947 S. California

Click to Enlarge
Village Oaks Market -6225 Harrisburg Place - The original owner was Roy Delucchi. Roy sold the market to Joe Corina in the early 1980's. And around 1989, I think, it was sold to Kiyoshi Morodoni, who also owned Oak Park Market & Alpine Market (when the latter was located at Alpine and Delaware). They owned it until around 1992

Click to Enlarge
Vina Super Market  - Next to K-mart on Pacific Avenue - Courtesy of Floyd Perry Jr.

Click to Enlarge
Former Wilshire Market - 2225 Monte Diablo - Today a Kelly Moore Paint Store

Suggested Books Related to Stockton

k Shop America: Mid-Century Storefront Design, 1938-1950 - American postwar window shopping, once it all was pointing to a bright and shiny future. Pure optimism and opulence influenced everything from architecture to automobile design, infusing design with bigger-than-life curves and planes. Storefront designs of that bygone era is indicative of a phenomenon, depicted here in a vast collection of shop window designs beautifully hand illustrations from 1938 thru 1950. There are spectacular, typically grandiose layouts for grocery stores, beauty salons, bakeries, shoe shops, and more reminding one of a period when shops and stores were once sacred shrines for American shoppers to congregate! Impressive and ever so slightly intimidating, just as the future itself. Acquired for this one of a kind book, the collections when seen in retrospect show the mindset of the people in a special period in American history. Additionally there are historic black and white pictures of actual shops fashioned in a similar design. Shop America provides a rare glimpse at a commercial mid-century America.

Stockton Article Index
Stockton Grocers of Today

We are looking for more old Stockton grocery store photos - Please post them on our Memories of Stockton Facebook Group

External Links

Share