Stockton - Center- Commerce Streets


Disclaimer! Informational page only, our practice is limited to Residential Real Estate.

I have created a series of pages covering the streets of Stockton. Scroll down the page or click on a link at the left to see another page. These pages grew put of my love for both architecture and photography. The old photos came from various sources such as The California Photo Library, Calisphere, Library of Congress, UOP Archives, USC Library. OAC Library, friends Facebook and many others. I literally photographed thousands of photos of Stockton buildings. I continue to photograph Stockton on an ongoing basis.

When viewing photos on this page, you can click on a thumbnail to enlarge it and click again to reduce the size. Once you've enlarge a photo, you can turn the page into a slide show by clicking on the arrows shown in the enlargement. At the right of the page is an RSS feed, typically updated with fresh content hourly. Come back tomorrow and the topics covered will be different. I have included many topics on the various pages, including architecture, photography, books camera equipment reviews. Hover over the box at right  and you will find a browser bar to control the feed content. These pages are an ongoing project with changes being made regularly. Enjoy!

Although millions of public and private dollars invested in Downtown Stockton have brought a host of events to downtown's public urban parks and plazas, to entertainment facilities such as the Weber Point Event Center, the Stockton Arena, Banner Island Ballpark, and the newly restored Bob Hope Theatre. Exciting projects have been completed, including the new Marina with full service slips and guest/day docks, designed with an eye to boaters and pedestrians alike. 

Still downtown Stockton, an area of approximately 550 acres, has suffered as the surrounding city has grown. Due to the growth to the north, downtown is no longer the geographic or commercial center of town, but is left with a severely deteriorated retail function specializing in lower end of the market hotels and a poor, minority impacted social structure. Its uses are basically institutional and governmental in nature from 8:00 to 5:00 and is the largest center for elderly housing in the valley. The lack of pedestrian activities and amenities and the cross town aerial freeway connector leaves a negative feeling among the citizens.

It attracts a population of retired elderly, transient workers and vagabonds (males and persons over 65) who make Stockton their semi-permanent residence, taking advantage of the inexpensive living quarters offered in the deteriorating hotels and apartments and the food program of the senior service center. The majority of the housing units and hotel rooms are occupied by weekly or monthly renters. The area has a high crime rate (mainly assault) and is perceived by many as an unsafe place to go either in the day or night time. The edges are largely tattered, and the core area, mostly older 2-3 story structures, house the elderly and single poor.

Downtown Stockton has been designated a Stockton Enterprise Zone and the Redevelopment Area, designations from the state and city respectively, a myriad of incentives are available to business and property owners. These incentives are a   downtown attempt to attract new businesses and a destination for visitors and residents.

The photos on this page are a collection of past and present.

Click any thumbnail and it becomes a slideshow where you can then scroll through the slides. Or select Auto Play or use the mouse or keyboard arrow keys to scroll through all images

00 Block North Center Street - Mostly Demolished in the West End Redevelopment
Click to EnlargeCenter & El Dorado - Colemans - 1930s
1 N. Center - Rosedale Cafe - Demolished
3 N. Center -  Center Donut & Coffee Shop - Demolished
Click to Enlarge Click to Enlarge11 N. Center St - Puerto Vallarta Restaurant - Former Sambo's /Season's / Bakers Square / Country Waffle House / Arizona Restaurant and Grill
12 N. Center- Cooper Donuts - Demolished for Parking Garage
Click to Enlarge13 North Center - Leland House / Leland Rooms - Demolished in West End Redevelopment - Ron Chapman photo
14 N. Center- Lilly Rooms - Demolished in West End Redevelopment
17 N. Center- American Hotel / American Lodging House - Demolished in West End Redevelopment
23 N. Center- Toyoko Rooms - Demolished in West End Redevelopment
25 N. Center- Revere House / Tracy Hotel - Demolished in West End Redevelopment
30 - Bob's Beer & Wines
32 N. Center- Palm Rooms / Inland Hotel - Demolished in West End Redevelopment
Click to Enlarge Click to Enlarge Click to Enlarge33 N. Center - Howard Johnsons / Former Azores Inn
34 N. Center - La Rancherita Cafe
40 - Ohio Restaurant
45 - Abe's Trading Post
N. Center St - Weber Avenue Intersects
Click for Weber Avenue
Click to Enlarge Click to EnlargeCenter & Levee - Russ House - Left photo - Ron Chapman - right photo - Kevin Shawver
Click to Enlarge205 - Weber Point showing The Holiday Inn, Holiday Gulf Station - all Demolished
Click to Enlarge Click to Enlarge221 N. Center - Holiday Inn - Demolished - Left photo, Scott Herring
Click to Enlarge Click to Enlarge235 N. Center - Chili Pepper Restaurant  - Behind the Holiday Inn
N. Center St - Miner Avenue Intersects
345 - Newby's Boat Harbor
Stockton Memorial Civic Auditorium - 525 N. Center St  with McLeod Lake - Click to Enlarge Stockton Memorial Civic Auditorium - 525 N. Center St - 1930 Snow - Click to Enlarge Click to Enlarge Click to Enlarge Click to Enlarge Stockton Memorial Civic Auditorium - 525 N. Center St Click to Enlarge

501-525 N. Center St - Stockton Memorial Civic Auditorium - Built 1924-1925. A classic revival style building designed by local architects Glenn Allen, Ivan C. Satterlee and W. J. Wright features sculpted panels over the seven front entrances. A floor of California marble and an art glass skylight in the center of the flat dome. Stocktonians conducted bond drives to fund construction of the memorial auditorium to honor those who gave their lives while serving in the armed forces in World War I.

N. Center St - Oak Street Intersects
Click to Enlarge
Click to Enlarge Click to Enlarge631 N Center St - Travel Lodge
Click to Enlarge640 N Center St - Former YMCA
Click to Enlarge709 N Center St - Park Center Building
Click to EnlargeCenter and Fremont - SPD
Click to Enlarge Originally the First Church of Christ Scientist - 801 N. Center Street - The first services were held on November 25, 1928 in this Grecian-ionic church designed by local architect Glenn Allen. The classical interior seats 1000 and features a leaded glass skylight centered in the dome, inlaid mahogany paneling and curly birch pews. Foyer details include bronze light fixtures and gold leaf accents. The Stockton Record deemed it a “Beautiful Edifice” upon completion in 1928. Added to the city register by resolution number 95-0107 on March 20, 1995
Click to Enlarge Click to Enlarge Click to Enlarge Click to Enlarge

 

 

 

 

Click to Enlarge1200 N. Center St - Odd Fellows IOOF Hall, built in 1935. It was originally constructed as the office for the California Department of Public Works Highway Division. In the 50's & 60's it was the AAA auto club office.

The most widely encountered symbol of the IOOF – on signs, buildings and gravemarkers – is the three-link chain ("the Chain With Three Links", the "Triple Links") with three initials, 'F', 'L' and 'T', one each inside each link, signifying Friendship, Love and Truth.

Click to Enlarge1221 N. Center St - Tex-Mex Photography
Click for Harding Way
South Center - Mostly Demolished in the West End Redevelopment
Click for Main Street
Click to Enlarge SW Corner Center and Main Streets Occidental Hotel (center) and Weber House (foreground), ca. 1875
Click to Enlarge Center & Main - Looking at Main Street - 1880s
Click to Enlarge Center & Main -  Occidental Hotel
1 S. Center - Weber Tavern
2 S. Center - Eagle Drug Store
Click to Enlarge Click to Enlarge 7 S. Center Street - Hotel Weber / Weber House - SW Corner Center and Main Streets - The Weber House was Stockton's best and finest hotel for nearly twenty years. It was a three-story brick building with 150 rooms, erected in 1853 at a cost of $50,000 by Dr. R. K. Reid and J. M. Warner. On December 1st it was opened by W. W. Warner. A banquet was given that evening with Captain Weber as toastmaster, and a large company enjoyed the feast. The building was heavily mortgaged to John Dillon, and was soon in the sheriff's hands. On March 20, 1855, it was bid in by the mortgagee for $12,000. Colonel Manning leased the building in 1855, in 1858 Dillon & Gross conducted it, and in 1860 Gorham & Sperry took charge. The Occidental Hotel is the center building on the right photo. Demolished in West End Redevelopment
12 S. Center Street - Pioneer Hotel / Lincoln Rooms - Demolished in West End Redevelopment
14 S. Center - Arroyo's Cafe
15 S. Center - Weber Grill
16 S. Center - TK Cafe
18 S. Center - Hotel Lorraine - Demolished in West End Redevelopment
19 S. Center - El Potisi Cafe
20 S. Center - Lorraine Inn Tavern
23 S. Center - Service Laundry
Click to Enlarge33-35 S. Center - Liberty Theatre / Royal Theatre
29 S. Center - Shueng Loy Cafe 27 S. Center - Zieglers / Panama Inn Tavern
25 S. Center - Hotel Los Angeles
All Demolished in West End Redevelopment Photo courtesy of Larry Arroyo
26 S. Center - La Julieta Cafe
Click to Enlarge27 S. Center St. - Zieglers / Panama Inn Tavern
28 S. Center - Minnie's Hotel / Napoli Hotel - Demolished in West End Redevelopment
29  S. Center - Shueng Loy Cafe
32 S. Center - Hotel Nobby - Demolished in West End Redevelopment
34 S. Center - La Milpa Cafe Tavern
Click to Enlarge33-35 S. Center - Liberty Theatre / Royal Theatre - Demolished in West End Redevelopment
38 S. Center - Valencia Rooms - Demolished in West End Redevelopment
40 S. Center- Union Inn Tavern
42 S. Center - Paso Del Norte Tavern
43 S. Center - Yellow Front Inn Tavern
47 S. Center - Coma Hotel / Panama Rooms - Demolished in West End Redevelopment
48 S. Center - El Pasaiso Restaurant
49 S. Center - Center Food Store Grocery
S. Center St - Market Street Intersects
Click for Market Street
101 S. Center - U.S. Inn Tavern
103 S. Center - U.S. Hotel - Turn of the century - Demolished in West End Redevelopment - Click to Enlarge 103 S. Center - U.S. Hotel - 1964 - Demolished in West End Redevelopment- Photo courtesy of Ron Chapman - Click to Enlarge 103 S. Center - Former U.S. Hotel 2015 - Demolished in West End Redevelopment - Click to Enlarge 103 S. Center - U.S. Hotel - 1964  - Demolished in West End Redevelopment - Middle Photo courtesy of Ron Chapman
106 S. Center - Morris Clothing Store
107 S. Center - Snow White Bakery / Centromart Warehouse
110 S. Center - Hotel Angelo - Demolished in West End Redevelopment
Click to Enlarge Click to Enlarge111-117 South Center - Centro-Mart - Demolished - today, it's the Greyhound Bus Depot location
112 S. Center- Gravem-Inglis Baking Company - Demolished in West End Redevelopment
119 S. Center - Center Hotel  - Demolished in West End Redevelopment
120 S. Center - Paris De Noche Restaurant
Click to Enlarge Click to Enlarge121 S. Center - Greyhound Bus
122 S. Center- Laoak Club Tavern
124 S. Center - Hotel Taft - Demolished in West End Redevelopment
128 S. Center - Sun Chung Laundry
129 S. Center - Mexicali Club Tavern
130 S. Center - El Mambo Tavern
131 S. Center - Center Hotel - Demolished in West End Redevelopment
134 S. Center - Day & Nite Rooms / La Carolina Rooms - Demolished in West End Redevelopment
136 S. Center - El Zarpe Club Tavern
137 S. Center - Hotel Pacific - Demolished in West End Redevelopment
138 S. Center- Verco Club Tavern
Click to Enlarge139 S. Center - Roley's Chevron / Mandarin Market - Photo courtesy of Ron Chapman - Demolished in West End Redevelopment
142 S. Center - Toscano Hotel - Demolished in West End Redevelopment
147 S. Center - Louie's Market - Demolished in West End Redevelopment
S. Center St - Washington Street Intersects
Click for Washington Street
Click to Enlarge Click to EnlargeCrosstown Freeway Marker Center and Washington - Ort J. Loftus Crosstown Freeway Marker. This outstanding civic leader rejected the prospect that Stockton would settle for a "Freeway to Nowhere." He organized the FOCUS (Finish Our Crosstown-Unite Stockton) committee and motivated our state government to complete this vital link between I-5 and US 99. More than any other individual, he worked persistently it a "Freeway To Somewhere." - Dedicated March 16, 1987
Click to EnlargeBicycles under the Crosstown Freeway
200 - Royal Seventy Six Gas Station
Click to Enlarge Click to EnlargeCenter and Washington - Franklin School - West side of Center between Washington and Lafayette - For a long time the board of education discussed the building of a schoolhouse and in August, 1858, they concluded that they had sufficient money and by a vote they selected a lot on Center and Washington streets as the location, and October 14 work was commenced. The building then constructed stood on the Franklin school lot, having been in constant use up to 1900. It was a substantial building of brick, two stories high and containing two large rooms as well as cloak rooms, a model building for that time. With the completion of the building, the public schools were housed beneath a roof of their own. The joy of the event was considered worthy of a public demonstration. On February 25, 1859, the change to the new building was made amid much rejoicing, the boys to whom the good fortune fell of occupying the new building, marched to their new home  - Demolished
218-220 S. Center - El Dorado Cleaners
Click to Enlarge226 S. Center - Colombo Cafe -  Officer Arlene Wong, one of the first woman officers. With her is officer, and later, Sergeant, Kent Cooper in the 200 block of S. Center. Arlene was hired in 1963 so the set of photos were probably taken during her first year
Click to Enlarge228 S. Center - Colombo Hotel - Demolished in West End Redevelopment
Click to Enlarge230 S. Center - Centro Hotel
238 S. Center - Lung Sam Laundry
242 S. Center - Center Billiard
S. Center St - Lafayette Street Intersects
301 S. Center - Peacock Market
302 S. Center - Sung Sung Market
305 S. Center - Center Cleaners
307 S. Center - Hotel White - Demolished in West End Redevelopment
319 S. Center - Jackson Rooms / Hotel Kintai - Demolished in West End Redevelopment
Click to Enlarge322 S. Center and Lafayette - McDonalds & Food Mart 
Click to Enlarge Click to Enlarge324 S. Center - Arroyo's Cafe / Former Acme Auto Parts - Left Photo Courtesy of Larry Arroyo. Right Photo courtesy of Floyd Perry Jr
325 S. Center - San Joaquin Lodge #1016
Click to Enlarge Click to Enlarge327 S. Center - Former Hotel Russell / Elks Hotel / Hotel Kisukan (1926)
S. Center St - Sonora Street Intersects
Click to Enlarge401 S. Center - Stockton Rescue Mission / Nippon Hotel - Demolished in West End Redevelopment
402 S. Center St. - T&O Richfield Service
Click to Enlarge403 S. Center St. - San Joaquin County Historical Society and Museum photo, Taken in front of Gaetano Alegretti's grocery and saloon at 403 S. Center Street. Alegretti opened his store in 1869 and was a gathering place for new immigrants. He was often asked to write letters home for those who couldn't write because he was fluent in English, French, and Spanish. Pictured at left is A.P. Giannini, founder of the Bank of Italy (now Bank of America).
Click to Enlarge410 S. Center St - Dayton Cyclery 1915 Dayton Motorcycle - This copy hangs in The Genova Bakery. I was told the the 3rd guy from the left is Angelo Rolleri, Genova Bakery founder
412 S. Center St.- Elm Hotel - Demolished in West End Redevelopment
Click to EnlargeWest End Redevelopment Display at The Stockton Magnificent - Sep, 29 2012 - From the left: top row 0 block North El Dorado, NW Corner Main & El Dorado, 100 block North El Dorado. Second row, NE corner Main & El Dorado, 00 Block S. El Dorado, 00 Block of East Market
420-27 S. Center St. - Stockton Auto Wrecking
Click to Enlarge Click to Enlarge Click to Enlarge425 S. Center - Mi Ranchito Cafe - They were at 24 W. Main St in 1957
437 S. Center St. - Stockton Auto Wrecking - Now Mi Mi Ranchito Cafe  parking lot
Click to Enlarge443 S. Center St. -
Click to Enlarge448 S. Center St. - Housing Authority of The County of San Joaquin
Click to Enlarge500 S. Center St. - PG&E Substation
Click to Enlarge Click to Enlarge535 S. Center St. - PG&E Facility
Click to Enlarge800 Block S. Center Street Overpass Spiral Ramp
Click to Enlarge817 S. Center  - California Welding Supply
Click to EnlargeLooking at the South side of the PG&E building fronting on Church Street from the Center Street overpass
Click to Enlarge Click to Enlarge800 Block of Center Street looking down from the overpass and the Santa Fe railroad Tracks looking West at I-5. The pink colored building is the old Safeway Warehouse which fronts on Scotts Avenue
Click to EnlargeCenter Street Overpass looking North
825 S. Center - Former Arden Farms
945 - B&C Market
Click to Enlarge Click to Enlarge Click to Enlarge Click to Enlarge
Click to Enlarge1020 S. Center -Sahuayo Meat Market / Former Mandarin Market
Click to Enlarge Click to Enlarge1033 S. Center- Former Boggio Barber Shop
1036 S. Center - Fitzgerald & Snyder, Printers
Click to Enlarge1037-1047 S. Center - Party Wholesale Novelties (1959) / Troglia & Son Groceries (1950)
1048 - Dud's Place Tavern
1131 S. Center - Earl's Pump & Supply
Click to Enlarge Click to Enlarge1136 S. Center St. - Former Derby Tavern
1147 S. Center - Stockton Rug Works / A.F. Grillo Groceries (1950)
Click to Enlarge Click to Enlarge Click to Enlarge1203 S. Center St. - Former Huck's Drive Inn & Huckins Mobile Gas (1959) - Still in the 1976 Directory  / Hucks Frost Top Restaurant - Huckings Tourist Camp - Left photo - Nicola Mclachlin
S. Center & 35 E. Jackson Winter Service Station / Clayton's Garage
1311 S. Center - Casper Shoe Repair
1320 S. Center - Capitol Furniture back side
Click to Enlarge1335 S. Center - C.A. Jensen's Shoe Repair - Late 1800s - Early 1900s
1345 - Stockton Rug Works Cleaners
S. Center St - Charter Way Intersects
Click for Charter Way
Click to Enlarge1402 S. Center - Former D. Gianelli & Son Restaurant (1959) / A.G Gianelli Grocer (1950)
Click to Enlarge Click to Enlarge Click to Enlarge Click to Enlarge

Click to Enlarge Click to Enlarge Click to Enlarge Click to Enlarge

Click to Enlarge Click to Enlarge Click to Enlarge Click to Enlarge Click to Enlarge Click to Enlarge Click to Enlarge Click to Enlarge Click to Enlarge Click to Enlarge Click to Enlarge

1425 S. Center - Thomas Alva Edison High School - Opened in 1941 at what is now the corner of Charter Way, now called Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. Blvd, and Center Street. It is named after the American Inventor Thomas Edison. The campus has been expanded through the years, with the addition of major classroom buildings and a library in the 1970s. and new classroom additions for the 2013-14 school year.

1502 S. Center - Don's Drive Inn / B&L Drive In (1960) / Parker House Restaurant (1958)
Click to Enlarge Click to Enlarge1520 S. Center - Capricho's - 1524 S. Center - Drum Stick Restaurant (1960) / Helen's Cafe
Click to Enlarge1564 S. Center St - Alhambra Motel
Click to Enlarge Click to Enlarge 1627 S. Center - Former Valley Lumber - they have moved to 1850 S. El Dorado St - The Former Sky Corporation / Nehi Bottling building
1705 - Stuart Haire Excavating
Click to Enlarge Click to Enlarge Click to Enlarge1717 S. Center - Former Kilpatrick's Bakeries
1733 - Don's Barber Shop (1960)
Click to Enlarge1775 S. Center St. - Former Henry's Pharmacy
El Dorado Street Intersects
Center forms a Y into S. El Dorado Street
Channel Street
Click to Enlarge Click to Enlarge Click to Enlarge31 E. Channel - State of California office building. (center and far right) Completed in 1964 on the site of the former Cornithian building. (Left) The Corinthian  was Stockton's second theatre - Charles Weber and Richard Hammond constructed this building in 1850 on the north shore between Center and El Dorado Streets. The building served as the town meeting hall, theatre and restaurant.
Click to Enlarge Click to Enlarge Click to Enlarge Click to Enlarge
Click to Enlarge25 East Channel street. The building was directed in 1863 for the use of the "Weber's" of the Volunteer Department. It was then joined on the west by the Corinthian Building, a three-story structure which, when it was erected in 1850, was the largest building in a State of California. It was owned by Weber & Hammond and in 1851 contained the post-office, the court-room (presided over by Justice of the Peace S. Dean) a church, a theater, a public assembly room where society gathered in the early days to "trip the light fantastic," the law offices of Terry & Perley and Van Buren & Root, and a number of private lodgings
29 E. Channel - Seattle Hotel - 1925
Click to Enlarge Click to Enlarge Click to Enlarge Click to Enlarge31 E. Channel - Busalacchi Fish Market - (1947)
Stockton House / St. Charles Hotel - The Stockton House Hotel was a three-story building constructed in 1850 with lumber floated up the San Joaquin River at flood tide. it was the first good hotel in the city and located on Bridge Street opposite the head of the channel. There were accommodations for seventy people. The rooms were small and contained a slat bedstead, two chairs, a looking glass and a washstand. Everyone used a communal toilet and washroom. Whale oil lamps and candles furnished the light. James Goucher took over the management of the hotel in 1851. In 1854 he bought the hotel and renamed it the St. Charles Hotel. In 1859 it was one of the first buildings in the city to use gas lights. In 1861 running water was added to the first floor. It was the headquarters for the Union men during the Civil War. The building burned in 1871. The location later became  The Masonic Temple
Click to EnlargeBridge & Eldorado - Masonic Temple
Click to EnlargeChannel Street looking East from the sixth floor of the Edmond S. Coy Garage
Click to EnlargeChannel & Hunter - Kevin Shawver
Click to EnlargeChannel & Hunter St. and Philadelphia House - 205 Bridge St. - Pioneer Coal - 315 North Hunter - 1880s
Click to Enlarge191-193 East Channel - Europa Hotel & Weber Fire Department - 1880s
Click to Enlarge Click to EnlargeKabob & Gyro House - Greek Restaurant - 225 E. Channel St
Click for San Joaquin Street
Click to EnlargeChannel and San Joaquin looking SW
Click to EnlargeWeber and San Joaquin Yo semite Cash Grocery
Click to Enlarge Click to Enlarge Click to Enlarge Click to Enlarge

Click to Enlarge Click to Enlarge

327-333 E. Channel St. - Budd Building - Berkeley Apartments - The early portion of the building located at 327-333 East Channel Street, is a remnant of a private boarding house constructed about 1890. It is possible that the first story portion is even Older, because its brick construction is unlike the upper floors. The 1895 Sanborn Map Illustrates the original footprint of the three-story building, which was set back .from the street. The setback was filled in about 1915 when the present three-story brick addition was constructed in front of the original brick and frame building. The 1917 Sanborn Map illustrates the addition. Mrs. Lucinda Budd used the building as a boarding house. The building was. called the Berkeley Apartments from 1916-1920,. and then became the Budd apartments. The two ground floor spaces were occupied by C, H. Widdows and H. G Sissel, civil engineers, and W. C. Mann, a plumber, from 1930 through 1950.
Click to Enlarge Click to Enlarge Click to Enlarge345 E. Channel St - PG & E Building - Constructed in 1921, the building is an excellent example of small-scale Renaissance Revival architecture. Built for Western Gas and Electric Company, the design of the building conveyed the importance of the utility company in Stockton. The building retains a great deal of historic integrity. The building served as a customer service center and offices for the Pacific Gas and Electric Company
Click to EnlargeChannel and Sutter looking SW
Click to Enlarge419 E. Channel - Stockton Auto Garage - 1909
Click to Enlarge Click to EnlargeAmbassador Hotel - Channel & Sutter looking NE- Building still stands - Left photo - Ron Chapman
Click to Enlarge Click to Enlarge Click to Enlarge California & Channel - SE corner Stockton Business College (1891) - Right photo, Floyd Perry Jr. - 1987
Click to Enlarge Click to EnlargeCalifornia & Channel NE Corner - Grand Central Hotel
Click to Enlarge Click to Enlarge517 E. Channel - Julienne Apartments
Click to Enlarge525 E. Channel - Former Retailer's Credit Association - T.A. Ross - United Merchants Association
527 E. Channel - Former Bradbury Real Estate - T.W. Thomas Insurance
Click to Enlarge535 E. Channel - Former Pacific Telephone & Telegraph Plant
Click to Enlarge Click to Enlarge545 E. Channel - Former Sherwin Williams
Click to Enlarge701 E. Channel - Channel Medical Center / Former  Calvary Tabernacle Assembly of God  (1957)
Click to Enlarge702 E. Channel - Ebenezer African American Methodist Church - Channel & Stanislaus looking SE
730 E. Channel - Former Stockton City Lines
Click to Enlarge949 E. Channel - Southern Pacific - Robert J. Cabral Station at 949 East Channel Street. Rich in railroad history, the City of Stockton is host to three historic train depots, and this iconic former Southern Pacific station is the home to ACE and the San Joaquin Regional Rail Commission. The Robert J. Cabral Station is named after a pioneer who was part of the group who founded the Commission and the ACE service. A tribute to Cabral is placed at the station next to a traditional clock tower – both a beacon and vision for revitalization that is taking place in the downtown neighborhood. Photo by Jackie Rose Madden
Church Street
800-850 W. Church - Fiberboard Corporation
Click to Enlarge Click to Enlarge Click to Enlarge901 W. Church - El Tenampa Cafe
1001 W. Church - Phil's Tavern (1957)
Clay Street
Click to Enlarge348 E. Clay Street - Power House Mission Church / Reorganized Church of Christ of later Day Saints (1957)
Commerce Street
Click to Enlarge25 S. Commerce - Nippon Hospital / Hotel Bryant - Built in a Classical Revival style with gable crowns, colored brick, and classic Greek architecture, the two-story, 4864 square-foot structure was constructed in 1919 in response to the inadequate care that Japanese people received during an influenza outbreak the previous year. Named for the Japanese word for 'Japan,' the hospital featured 30 hospital rooms, a surgery suite, and an ethnic kitchen. Due to its central location within the Japanese area of Stockton, as well as racial discrimination from Chinese and non-Asians elsewhere, the hospital catered exclusively to Stockton's Japanese population of approximately 4,300 - one of the largest in the United States. The hospital incorporated in 1922, and reorganized in 1925, only to close its doors in 1930 due to financial matters. The building was later used as the Hotel Bryant until 1978, when the Stockton City Council placed it on the historical landmark list by resolution number 35,548 on August 28, 1978. As the building itself is the only remaining structure from the early Japanese community in Stockton, it was also listed on the National Register of Historic Places as #78000762 on September 18, 1978
32 S. Commerce - Del Mar Hotel
35 S. Commerce - Wilson Hotel - Demolished
37 S. Commerce - Stockton Rescue Mission
39 S. Commerce - Commerce Grocery
117 S. Commerce - Hotel L Italia
121 S. Commerce - L Italia Bar
Click to Enlarge129 S. Commerce - Waterfront Pharmacy
226 S. Commerce - Westside Garage

Suggested Books Related to Stockton

See also

External links

Share

Stockton's Center Street Reviewed by Gene Wright on . Stockton's Center Street Now & Then Rating: 5