Disclaimer! Informational page only, I specialize in Residential Real Estate Only.
I have created a series of pages covering the streets of Stockton. Scroll down the page or click on a link at the left to see another page. These
pages grew put of my love for both architecture and photography. The old photos came from various sources such as The California Photo Library,
Calisphere, Library of Congress, UOP Archives, USC Library. OAC Library, friends Facebook and many others. I literally
photographed thousands of photos of Stockton buildings. I continue to photograph Stockton on an ongoing basis.
When viewing photos on this page, you can click on a thumbnail to enlarge it and click again to reduce the size. Once you've enlarge a photo,
you can turn the page into a slide show by clicking on the arrows shown in the enlargement. At the right of the page is an RSS feed, typically updated with fresh content hourly.
Come back tomorrow and the topics covered will be different. I have included many
topics on the various pages, including architecture, photography, books camera equipment reviews.
Hover over the box at right and you will find a browser bar to control
the feed content. These pages are an ongoing project with changes
being made regularly. Enjoy!
Although millions of public and private dollars invested in Downtown Stockton have brought a host of events to downtown's public urban parks and plazas, to entertainment facilities such as the Weber Point Event Center, the Stockton Arena, Banner Island Ballpark, and the newly restored Bob Hope Theatre. Exciting projects
have been completed, including the new Marina with full service slips and guest/day docks, designed with an eye to boaters and pedestrians alike.
Still downtown Stockton, an area of approximately 550 acres, has suffered as the surrounding city has grown. Due to the growth to the north, downtown is no longer the geographic or commercial center of
town, but is left with a severely deteriorated retail function specializing in lower end of the market hotels and a poor,
social structure. Its uses are basically institutional and governmental in nature from 8:00 to 5:00 and is the largest center for elderly housing in the valley.
The lack of pedestrian activities and amenities and the cross town aerial freeway connector leaves a negative feeling among the citizens.
It attracts a population of retired elderly, transient workers and vagabonds (males and persons over 65) who make Stockton their semi-permanent residence, taking advantage of the inexpensive living quarters offered in the deteriorating
hotels and apartments and the food program of the senior service center. The majority of the housing units and hotel rooms are occupied by
weekly or monthly renters. The area has a high crime rate (mainly assault) and is perceived by many as an unsafe place to go either
in the day or night time. The edges are largely tattered, and the core area, mostly older 2-3 story structures, house the elderly and single poor.
Downtown Stockton has been designated a Stockton Enterprise Zone and the Redevelopment Area, designations from the state and city respectively, a myriad of incentives are available to business and property owners. These incentives
are a downtown attempt to attract new businesses and a destination for visitors and residents.
The photos on this page are a collection of past and present.
Click any thumbnail and it becomes a slideshow where you can then scroll through the slides. Or
select Auto Play or use the mouse or keyboard arrow keys to scroll through all images
221 N. A Street - Richmond Chase Plant
No 7 - Employees from Richmond-Chase Company, plant no. 7.
1920 Panoramic group photograph of uniformed workers of Richmond-Chase Company canning plant no. 7 in Stockton.
During the busy seasons the Richmond-Chase Company employed from 1,500
to 2,000 people in the various departments.
525 W. Acacia St -
Dameron Hospital - - Dr. John Dameron founded Dameron Hospital in Stockton in 1912 with facilities for 20 patients. Ill health prompted him to sell the organization to a group of local doctors, staff and businessmen in 1925, and expansion in 1927 brought bed capacity up to 55.
The hospital was incorporated as Dameron Hospital Association in 1943, becoming an independent, not-for-profit medical facility governed by a seven-person board of directors and a 20-member board of membershipleft photo - 1914 - Bottom left photo 1927
North American Street
16 N. American St. - Dean's Jewelry
N. American St. - Hotel Terry and 533-543 E. Main - Built in 1912 - Originally called the
20-30 N. American St. -
Former Montgomery Ward. By 1950, Montgomery Ward & Co. occupied 20-30 North
American. The 1950 Sanborn Map shows the owner as Montgomery Ward & Co. - Today it's a parking lot. -
Right photo - Cyndi Bard Riker - Stanislaus Street Entrance - Left photo courtesy of
Floyd Perry Jr.
31 N. American - looking West American Street Parking - Santos Auto Park in
N. American St. - Alex Floral
N. American - Factory 2 U / Former Thrifty Drug - left photo by
Floyd Perry Jr
107 N. American - City Parking Lot / Ted's Boneless Beef (1950)
125 N. American - Stockton Generator Exchange / Ted's Meat Company (1950)
140 North American Street -
Gaia Delucchi Delicatessen & Grocery Store - Demolished - Sanborn Maps of Stockton show the site as vacant in 1917. The 1950 Sanborn Map recorded the present building.
Gaia Delucchi Delicatessen was originally located on Market Street. The business was moved to the N. American
Street location in the late 1920s. Stockton City Directories list A. J. Gault Auto as an occupant of 140 N. ∑American by
1935 and through 1945. Gaia Delucchi Co. is listed as the sole occupant by 1950.
It was example of an industrial architecture influenced by the Art Deco
Style. The Delucchi family was well-known in Stockton, and famous for their Italian foods.
dealer occupied the building from 1935 through 1945, Later Gaia Delluchi
was located here. it was a two-story stucco clad building with an Art Deco
141 N. American - Honor Parking / Dana Motors Auto Repair (1958)
200 N. American - Foto Art Engraving / TW Cain Shoe Repair (1950)
N. American St - Athletic Art Silk Screen / Quality Radiator Shop (1958) / Gilgert Radiator
N. American St - Madrid's Auto Repair / Federal Mogol Service Bearings / Curtiss Brown
Machine Shop (1950)
216 N. American St - Stanley Steemer
220 N. American -
Former Independent Parking Lot
221 N. American - Pacific Telephone & Telegraph / Ralph's Restaurant Supplies
N. American - Kustom Work
225 N. American - LaTeer & Spiro Motor Car Repairs / JJ Schmelz Auto Body Repairs (1950)
245 N. American - Thomas Ambulance Service
315 N. American - Tatton Tire / HS Lux auto Repair (1950)
321 N. American - Martin Sign Company
335 N. American - Four Square Church (1957)
/ 349 N. American (1942)
600 Block of N. American St. - Former El Dorado Brewery -
N. American St. - Department of Motor Vehicles Driver Safety Office - Right photo
by Ron Chapman
N. American St - Original Temple Israel -
Built in 1855 A simple clapboard siding building, it's one of Stocktonís oldest buildings and also the oldest surviving synagogue structure in California. Originally constructed near Miner Avenue and El Dorado Street it seated 200 and served surrounding counties. The building was moved to this site in 1905 and converted to apartments.
Located in the Magnolia Historic Preservation District. The oldest building on the city register, the building was added to the city
register by resolution number 39,264 on July 26, 1982 - Center photo,
2008, right photo 2013
South American Street
American & 600 E. Main St - Photo by Kevin Shawver
11 S. American - Esquire Theatre Building
20 S. American - Zunstein Apartments
S. American - Elite Shoe Service
24 S. American - Kay's Salon of Beauty
24 1/2 S. American - Roy's Auto Park
26 S. American - A1 Lock & Key
28 S. American St.-
Merrill Hotel - Built in 1925 - Stockton City Directories show no listing
for this address until 1930. Between 1930 and 1945, Turner Hardware occupied
this building. A neon sign mounted on
the facade and a painted sign on the side of this building announced it as
the Hotel Merrill. By 1940 and through 1950.
the years there have been many businesses in this building
30 S. American - The Lucca Restaurant - (1930)
32 S. American - Norma's Wig Affair
34 S. American - Friendly Jewelry Co / Farmer Bros Coffee (1950)
36 S. American - Valley Shade Shop / Delbert Fisher Window Shades (1950)
38 S. American - Stockton Credit Plate / Tony Chin Laundry (1950)
40 S. American - Golden State Store / Brown's Costume Shop (1959) / Cecil's Safe, Lock & Key
48 S. American - Cirilo's Bar / Gene's Restaurant (1959) / Tony's Liquors (1950)
110 S. American - Felix & Betty's Cafe / Vera & Art's Restaurant (1959) -
Demolished to expand the Stockton Record building
112 S. American - ADT Security / Warnkee Printing - Demolished to expand the
Stockton Record building
114 S. American - Redmen's Hall - Demolished to expand the Stockton Record
130 S. American - San Joaquin Local Health District - Demolished
to expand the Stockton Record building
302 S. American - M&M Market - Demolished - Now a vacant lot
S. American St. - Deadass Junction / Former American Body Shop
945 S. American St.
Former Billy Hebert residence. Billy Hebert, learned to play baseball in the city recreation department's boys' league and played with the Junior Legion for Karl Ross Post. Hebert was a scrappy second baseman in the minor leagues before, at 22, he was killed in the Solomon Islands in 1942 during World War II. He was the nation's first professional ballplayer killed in action.
S. American - Hazel Kirby Grocery (1940)
North Aurora Street
19 N. Aurora - Mark-Ease
24 N. Aurora -
Former Rolla-Torium / General Electric Supply Corp
33 N. Aurora, Spanos Apartments / Walsh Apartments - Hunter's Creamery and Bakery, 1930 City Directory. The building still stands
today. The bottom floor is the home of Memco label systems. The building also
has an 844-848 E. Weber
34-36 N. Aurora St.
N. Aurora - George Wolfe Grocer - 1903 - Left photo, 2014
N. Aurora at Lindsay. / 112 S. Center - In 1902 they were Gravem Brothers Bakery (Retail
Store). By 1920 they
had become Gravem-Inglis Bakery. By 1955 they were Gravem-Inglis Sunbeam Baking
Co. - 1900-1915 - left photo - Ken Piper
446 N. Aurora St. - Aurora Body Works
N. Aurora St / former Carnation Company / Gloria Ice Cream Company - Demolished
2 left photos by Cathy Wetzel, 3rd from left Dan Cort. Far Right Floyd Perry Jr
620 N. Aurora St - 940 E. Park Street. Sears Roebuck Building -
Originally used by the Sunset Door and Sash Co., this vernacular style structure
is the oldest massive brick industrial complex still standing in Stockton.
Remodeled in 1916, it became the Sears, Roebuck and Companyís only mail order
distribution center in California until 1927. Searsí extensive stock ranged from
baby carriages to windmills to feeding molasses. The building was added to the
city register by resolution number 86-0274 on May 12, 1986. Top left two photos
by Kathy Wetzel
N. Aurora Street - Valley Mountain Regional Center
South Aurora Street
S. Aurora St - Former Automatic Coin Equipment Co.
24 S. Aurora St - Former General Electric Supply Company
30 S. Aurora St - Former Market Wholesale Grocery
Aurora between Main & Market - F. Watrous Feed-Sales
- 1890s - Imperial Hotel showing at the left of the photo -
A different building appears on the 1917.Sanbom map. Based on the Sanborn maps an addition was constructed to the rear of the structure between 1917 and 1950. This
building was constructed in the early 1900s and Is similar to other structures on the block. Railroad tracks come to
the rear of the building. The Remington Imperial
Garage is listed in 1925.and through 1930. There is no listing in 1935, but by 1940, Baldwin and Remington Auto Repair
occupied the building. By 1945, Pierce Harless Service Station Equipment is listed in the Directory
30 S. Aurora -
Constructed in 1918, the building appears only on the 1950 Sanborn map. Stockton City Directories show no listing
at this address until1930, when it was occupied by lnternational Trucks. By 1935, B. L Remington Garage (who also
occupied the building next door at 20 S. Aurora) is listed. By 1940, Devine & Willard Auto Trucks were at this
address. The building changed hands by 1945, when the Kraft Cheese Company had a facility here, and again by
1950, when the Republic Supply Company of California occupied the building.
S. Aurora St. - New York Apartments / Former New York Hotel Also 901 East Market
St The 1917 Sanborn maps notes the building as the Hate/New York, with a bar,
restaurant, and storage on the first floor. Though a plaque on the building
gives a 1910 construction date, the first listing in Stockton City Directories
was In 1915. The New York Hotel was listed here through at feast 1950. Its
proximity to the rail lines meant that this area was able to support a large
number of hotels and temporary housing. - Today it's the New York Apartments.
35 S. Aurora - Althouse Eagal Ford - 35 S. Auroa St. - Althouse - Eagal Co. In 1919 John Eagal and a partner named Althouse opened a Fordson Dealership. A Fordson is shown here loaded aboard a 1919 Federal Truck
- Photo posted by Stewart Barber
S. Aurora St. - Oxford Hotel / Built in 1918 - The Oxford Hotel occupies the
upstairs of the main building. It consists of 32 rooms occupied by hotel
residents (including a 2 bedroom quarter where the resident manager resides)
39 S. Aurora
St. at Market St - Aurora Welding Works - 1920s
S. Aurora - Mark-Ease
145-165 S. Aurora - Mark-Ease
& Church - Holt Manufacturing - 1915 -
Charles, Benjamin and Frank incorporated the Holt Bros. Company on January 7, 1892, to deal in lumber and iron. Four days later, they also filed incorporation papers for "Holt Manufacturing Company" with Charles H. Holt, Benjamin Holt, Frank A. Holt, G. H. Cowie and G. L. Dickenson as directors.
The Holt Bros. Company formed a subsidiary, the "The Stockton Wheel Company", to build the wheels. Stockton was an ideal location, as it could be reached by sea-going ship via the San Joaquin River, 72 miles (116 km) east of San Francisco, and was hot enough to season woods in a way that would prepare them for use in the arid valleys of California and the deserts of the West. The factory cost US$65,000 (or about $1,815,840 ) to build and used a 40-horsepower Corliss steam engine that had been manufactured in Providence, Rhode Island, and shipped around Cape Horn. All of the plant's machines were driven by belts connected to the Corliss engine
On April 22, 1918, British General Ernest Dunlop Swinton
(right) traveled to Stockton, California, to publicly honor Benjamin Holt (left) and the company for their contribution to the war and to relay England's gratitude to the inventor for helping to win World War I. Benjamin Holt was recognized by the General at a public meeting held in Stockton.
527 S. Aurora & Hazelton -
Former Engine House Number 6
Holt Manufacturing Company was building caterpillar type tanks for the British Army Tank Corps in the first World War when they arranged a contract with the City of Stockton to build, house, and partial staff a fire company. The contract, initiated on July 27, 1917, specified Holt constructing the house, buying an American La France Auto Pumper, and leasing the items to the city.
Left photo by Ron Chapman
S. Aurora - Former Hickham Botham Brothers
S. Aurora - JL Kelley Horses & Mules - Photo by Kevin
& Jefferson - Samson iron Works - Left photos courtesy of Dennis
S. B Street - Nena's Mexican Restaurant
Bridge Place -
B&M Building / Sherwood Hotel / Mason Hotel / Briedenbach Hotel / Philadelphia House - Constructed sometime during the 1860s and
City Directory listings for 123-129 Bridge Street indicate that it was the Philadelphia House, Charles Spengemann
Proprietor during the 1880s, then by 1895 it was still called the Philadelphia House but Flechlin & Back were the
proprietors. In 1900-01 it was identified as the Philadelphia House. In 1912 it was called the Briedenbach Hotel with
Agnes McAleer as the proprietor. Then from 1915 to 1925 it was known as the Bridge and Mason Hotel. Other
commercial uses that faced Bridge Street included the B&M Liquors. In the 1940s it was known as the Sherwood
Hotel. Study of plat records indicate that Joseph Briedenback owned this land and the building for a considerable
period of time from the 1880s through at least the 1920s.
The City Directory information for 128-132 E. Channel Street indicates that in 1935, 130 Channel was occupied by Sweet
Morris Bags, 132 was vacant, 136 was occupied by A.R. Stonn, a painter.∑ During portions of the 1940s this side of the
building was vacant and then in 1950 132 Channel was occupied by Valley Wholesale Drug Co.
Bridge Place - Philadelphia
House - Built by Joseph Bridenback in 1871
125 Bridge Pl. - B&M Cafe Tavern
129 Bridge Pl. - Sherwood Hotel in 1976
/ Mason Hotel (1928)