Lodi School Street

In the late '90s, the School Street revitalization project was completed. The project involved laying old-fashioned brick streets, inlaid golden sidewalks, informational kiosks, plenty of colorful potted plants and 30-foot tall Sycamore trees. The trees, with broad shade- producing leaves, form a cool canopy over golden sidewalks to create an ideal shopping environment.

Click any thumbnail and it becomes a slideshow where you can then scroll through the slides. Or select Auto Play or use the mouse or keyboard arrow keys to scroll through all images

School Street- Pine Intersects
There were a whole series of these bronze statues on loan from The J. Seward Johnson Sculpture Exhibit which featured ten bronze, hand-painted, life-size statues placed on the streets of downtown Lodi School Street. The series were called Lodi Selfies, designed to take photos with the statues Sponsored by The Lodi Arts Commission and the Art in Public Places Committee who welcomed people to participate in the Sculpture Selfie contest. April 15th ~ July 15th 2015.
1 N. School St. - Standard Station
Click to Enlarge 4 N. School St. - Corey Building
Click to Enlarge 5 N. School St - Lodi Cooks / Former Christensen's Fashions (68)
6 N. School St - Sheri's Sonshine Nutrition Center
Click to Enlarge 7 N. School St - Wine Social / Clifford's Children Emporium (68) / Howen Hardware & Plumbing
Click to Enlarge Click to Enlarge 9 N. School St - Fashion Safari / Former John Borelli Jewelers / Samual Blackman Jeweler
Click to Enlarge Click to Enlarge 12 N. School St - Tuxedos of Lodi
Click to Enlarge Click to Enlarge Click to Enlarge 11 N. School St - Cheese Central
13 N. School St. - Former Sea Salt Cottage / Title Insurance & Trust (68) /Former S.J Stoloff Dry Goods
Click to Enlarge 14 N. School St - Secondhand Rose / Former FS Rasco Notions
16 N. School St. - Holly Department Store
18 N. School St. - Tokay Realty (68)
20 N. School St. - Former Mode O'Day / Security Title Insurance (68)
Click to Enlarge 21 N. School St - Cellar Door / The Fabric Shop (68)/ Former E.N. Thurman Florist
Click to Enlarge 22 N. School St - Ollie's Pub / Ollie's Tavern (68) / Former L.M. Knapp Printer
23 N. School St - Fireside Thrift (68)
Click to Enlarge 24 N. School St. - The Candy Box / Lodi Shoe Repair (68) / Former M.D. Focacel Shoe Repair - M.D. Focacel Health Foods
Click to Enlarge 25 N. School St - Visitor Center / Lodi Personnel Agency (68) / Former Maude Marblin Restaurant
Click to Enlarge Click to Enlarge 28 N. School St. - Angelo's Restaurant / former Weihe's Drug & Millie's Fountain (68)/ Former Food Center
31 N. School St - Mas' Hancock Service (68)
School Street - Elm St. Intersects
Click to Enlarge 104 N. School St. - Farmers & Merchants Bank Building -
27-29 W. Elm - Lodi Feed & Fuel
106 - H.D. Minton, Baker / Thrifty Cleaners (68)

108 N. School St. - Stockton Record

107 - JW Blair Batteries / Blair's Richfield (68)
Click to Enlarge 109 N. School St. - Lodi Stadium 12 Theatre is one of the anchors in downtown. The state-of-the-art, stadium-style theater opened in 2001, and today it brings thousands to the downtown scene weekly. After an evening show, you'll see couples and families safely strolling under a cool canopy of stars down School Street, enjoying the crisp Central Valley nights. Many strollers will shop or enjoy a dinner in one of many sidewalk cafes. Apr 7, 2013 photo using a 10mm Lens.

The 1902 Reverse Directory shows 107 N. School St. as Franklin Tires

Tom's Used Books, 108 N. School Street
110 - Young & Wilkins Paint / Lodi Health Club (68)
Click to Enlarge Click to Enlarge Click to Enlarge 112 N. School St. - Travelers Hotel
Click to Enlarge 113 N. School St. - Moo Moos / Former Rice Auto Repair / Munger Motor Co - Pontiac - Moo Moo's Burger Barn is family owned by Ramiz and Elias Zoomout. Read More

Ramiz and Elias Zoomout

The Two brothers conceived the concept and design and opened the first restaurant in downton lodi, on February 17, 2003. The restaurant was well received and proved to be a success. Thanks to their customers and employees, we opened the second restaurant in downtown Stockton, on April 17, 2004. Except for few improvements, the concept and design remained the same. Sacramento's UPN 31, featured the restaurant on its Good Morning Sacramento show - ..."The Best Burger in the Valley." And the rest is Mooo. The third location followed and there are plans for more locations. / Senior Citizen's Club (68)
114 - W.B. Pierce Liquors / Tokay Lane Tavern (68)

115 N. School St Building (68)

Click to Enlarge 116 N. School St. - School St. Bistro - Untouched Photo. / W.T. Rott Tractors / In 1928 the building was the home of L.S. Weeks Auto Dealers / Lodi Motor Company - Chrysler-Plymouth
120 N. School St. - Maxwell Motor Supply (68)
Click to Enlarge 123 N. School St. - Donohue Funeral Home / Giehart & Wells funeral Home (68) / Former Wells Funeral Home
Click to Enlarge 130 N. School St. Colbern's Paints (68)/ Former CC Derick Paint
Click to Enlarge School and Locust looking South
School Street - Locust St. Intersects
Click to Enlarge Click to Enlarge Click to Enlarge 209 N. School St. - Mason Manor Rest Home / Former Mason Hospital Read More

Dr. Wilton M. Mason (1864-1914)

He was a native of New York state. Coming with his family from Nebraska to California (1889), Mason graduated from the State Normal School, San Jose and the Eclectic College Medical School, San Francisco. He located in Lodi shortly after being licensed to practice medicine (1894). With two of his brothers, Herschel and Lewis, he started the Mason Fruit Co., which manufactured ice and packed and shipped grapes and other fruit to eastern markets. Dr. Mason acquired the first automobile in San Joaquin County (1900). Although not the first physician in town, Mason was a particularly popular and successful doctor and was much mourned when he died of an aneurism at age forty-nine.

It is believed that Dr. Mason had planned to open a hospital in his substantial home. A year after the doctor's death, Scott and Margaret Slauson, purchased the home and converted it into Mason Hospital, Lodi's first (1915). The Slausons operated Mason Hospital until 1921 when they sold it to Thirza Cole and Nellie Yates. These two sisters enlarged the facility to twenty-five beds (1928) and later remodeled the aging structure (1941). They sold Mason Hospital to Elsie Rivinius and Signe Schenkenberger (1949), who operated it until it closed (1966). It is said that more than 20,000 residents of the Lodi area were born in Mason Hospital. - Left Photo courtesy of The San Joaquin Historian
210 N. School St. - Downtown Apartments
Click to Enlarge 216 N. School St. - Silver Bullet Sales / Former GG Hust & Sons Plumbing (68)/ PT&T Wholesale (50) / Stroh Brothers Auto Bodies (40)
217 N. School St. - St Peter's Lutheran Church built in 1898 - Today a vacant lot
Click to Enlarge First Congressional Church - 214 N. School Street- In 1878 a lot was obtained on School Street near Lockeford and a small wooden church erected at a cost, including building and furniture of $3,200. As the congregation increased in numbers additions were made to the building. During the pastorate of the Rev. F. M. Washburn, from 1904-11, a large structure was erected. Today a vacant lot
Click to Enlarge Pine St. Looking North - In the 40's speeding was as much an issue as it continues to be today. This is Pine St. looking north up School St. Sorely missed today are Dandy Bread, Howen's Hardware Lodi Drug and others
School St. Pine Intersects
Click to Enlarge Click to Enlarge Click to Enlarge 2-6 S. School St. - Thornton House / Former Newfield & Sons Department Store / Lodi Opera House

The Lodi Opera House, built in 1905 for a reported $32,000, was the city’s hub for respectable entertainment. Charles Van Buskirk, a lumberman from Wisconsin who moved to Lodi in 1893, built it. Read More

Charles Van Buskirk

He was an astute businessman and developer who by the early 1900s bought 40 lots and changed the face of Downtown Lodi from a dusty pioneer town into a modern city. Van Buskirk was a man of high morals who felt that liquor, tobacco and dancing were sinful. The saloons in Lodi appalled him, and the Opera House was his way of offering an alternative. He built the grand, two-story building to be a modern entertainment hall where refined, artistic shows could be performed and no alcohol or tobacco would be allowed.

The building had a ground floor for retail business space and a basement. The second story was equipped with the stage, balcony and seating for 900 on a slowly sloping floor that allowed audience members to see over the flamboyant hats of the ladies seated in front.

The grand opening in January 1905 was a lavish affair and featured the Tivoli Opera Company of San Francisco’s performance of “King Dodo.” It was a huge success.

Operas, plays, concerts, orations and magic acts entertained Lodians for the next seven years. But by 1913, people were more interested in going to see the new motion pictures. Live performances were less popular, and the Lodi Opera House faded away.
5 S. School St. Former Lodi Hotel Cocktail Lounge / Christian Science Reading Room (68)
i Click to Enlarge Click to Enlarge Click to Enlarge

Click to Enlarge Click to Enlarge Click to Enlarge Click to Enlarge

5 S. School St. SW Corner of Pine. The Hotel Lodi is a historic hotel located at 5 S. School St. in Lodi, California. The hotel opened in 1915, it was the largest and most significant hotel in northern San Joaquin County at the time. In addition to lodging, the hotel also hosted major social events, important business meetings, and large social club meetings.

The hotel spurred growth in the city's hotel industry, and the presence of a large, modern hotel was credited with improving other areas of Lodi's economy as well. After the 1930s, the hotel began to decline, and by the late 1940s it no longer held its social and business functions. The hotel was later converted into a commercial building. The Hotel Lodi was added to the National Register of Historic Places on September 29, 1995.

When the hotel opened for guests, rooms with a bath cost $1.50, rooms without a bath were $1. Monthly rates were $20 for a single, and $25 for a double. Sunday dinner was 75 cents, and lunches were available for 40 cents.

The Lodi Hotel officially became a senior living community in 1998 and was renamed Lodi Hotel Senior Apartments converting it's guest rooms to studio and one bedroom apartments. Ornate in it's beautifully decorated lobby, Lodi Hotel Senior Apartments offers the old world charm of it's original grand opening at the turn of the century. The grand lobby boasts a historic winding staircase with large sitting area with big screen tv. Residents enjoy the convenience of the onsite workout center and take advantage of the onsite laundry room

7 S. School St. SW Corner of Pine - Lodi Hotel

6 S. School St. - Former Shunke's Men's Clothing (68)

9 S. School St. Former Western Union (68)

10 S. School St. / Former Newfield Furniture Store (68)

11 S. School St. Hotel Lodi Barber Shop (68)

12 S. School St - Former Fuller & Sons Sporting Goods (68)

Click to Enlarge Click to Enlarge 13 S. School St. - Garry's Lounge / Former Lodi Hotel Coffee Shop
Click to Enlarge Click to Enlarge 14 S. School St - The Rusted MIC / 14 A - Wells Fargo Bank (68)/ Haden Jewelers (68) / Former Del Rey Hotel
15 S. The Mall Coffee Shop (68)

16 S. School St. NE Oak & School / Crete's Camera Center (68) / Former C.V. Corey Shoes

17 S. School - Katten & Marengo (68) / Former H.B. Mastel Confections / Lodi Candy Kitchen (1920s)
Click to Enlarge Click to Enlarge Click to Enlarge 19 S. School St. - Former Katten & Marengo / Lodi Theatre - Today - Downtown Lodi Mall
Click to Enlarge 20 S. School St - Elizabeth's Bridal / Former Canepa Brothers Men's Store (68)
Click to Enlarge 22 S. School St - French at Heart / Former Donnell Guptill Jeweler (68)
24 S.School St. - Former Martha Blakely Restaurant / Ruby' Restaurant a popular place to eat in the 40's - Photo courtesy of Ralph Clark
Click to Enlarge 25 S. School St. - Former Crete's Camera Center / Tokay Grocery (1930)
Click to Enlarge 27 S. School St. - Former Lodi Hardware
Click to Enlarge Click to Enlarge 28 S. School St. - Rosewood Cafe & Grill / Former The Toggery (68) and it was the Solomon Building - Left photo - Karen Brown Anderson
Click to Enlarge Click to Enlarge Click to Enlarge 31 S. School St. - Bank of America - NW Corner Oak & School - There continues to be a Bank of America there today. Zimmerman Pharmacy at the left, The Lodi Theatre is in the background
Click to Enlarge 35 S. School St. - Lodi Chamber of Commerce
Click to Enlarge Click to Enlarge Celebrate The Harvest is a love story. It is an image generated from the relationship that exists between earth and vine from the beginning of time. Read More

Celebrate The Harvest

The vision here is that of a young turn of the century couple who symbolize that relationship. She is the epitome of the gentile, nurturing elements of life. Her bare feet allowing the essence of the soil to flow through her as she joins her husband in the vineyard. Caressed by the vines and surrounded by the aroma of grapes she brings to him the taste of life that is wine.

He is the tiller of the soil, Imbued with the will to provide and the strength to prepare he represents the soul and vision of Industry.

Together they toast the harvest season, one another and the abundance of their lives. They are the caretakers. Joined, they move forward into the future as one, celebrating the fruits of their labors. Rowland R. Cheney

Mural funded by The City of Lodi Art in Public Places.
School St, Oak Intersects
Click to Enlarge Relaxing on a bench at School and Oak Streets looking East
Click to Enlarge School and Oak Streets - The Saturn Sky was the only roadster from the Saturn marque of General Motors. Initially released in the first quarter of 2006 as a 2007 model. It shared a platform with the Pontiac Solstice and Opel GT. It was built at GM's Wilmington, Delaware plant, alongside the Solstice and the Opel GT . The plant closed in July of 2009
Click to Enlarge School and Oak Streets in HDR
Click to Enlarge Click to Enlarge 101 S. School St. - Textures / Arden's Dress Shop (68) / Former Zimmerman's Pharmacy
Click to Enlarge Click to Enlarge Click to Enlarge Click to Enlarge Click to Enlarge Click to Enlarge

103 S. School St - Harry Dobler Confections
105 S. School St - Lodi Beer Company / Former O'Leary's Office Supplies / Wright's Stationers (68)
107 S. School St - Former Reeves Shoe Store
109 S. School St - Emery Household Appliances

Click to Enlarge Click to Enlarge 111 S. School St. - Lodi Junction / Former J.C. Penney (68)
Click to Enlarge Click to Enlarge Click to Enlarge 102 S. School St. - National Dollar Store (68)
110 S. School St - Stark's Camera Shop (68) /Former Herbert Rummel Photographer / Jackson Cash & Carry Grocery (1930)
112 S. School St. - Former Sprouse Reitz (1961)/ Turner Hardware into the 1970s
All demolished for the Post office parking lot
Click to Enlarge Click to Enlarge Click to Enlarge 115-119 S. School St. - Former Woolworth's. building in 1949 - closed in 1994 - Photo courtesy of Lodi Library Archives  / former location of The Hill House. The Woolworth building was originally created in 1948, and was a Woolworth’s department store until 1993 when the business shut its doors. The building was approved for a remodel in 2002. At the time it was the largest unused building in the downtown area. Today, it houses a pottery shop called the Mud Mill, Rocky Mountain Chocolate Factory, Crush Kitchen and Bar, Taste of Heaven, a hair salon, and Knowlton Fine Art Gallery. Old Arch Restaurant 115 S. School St - 209-367-5799 American
117 S. School St - Former Karl's Shoe Store
Click to Enlarge Click to Enlarge Click to Enlarge Click to Enlarge

120-128 S. School St. - Federal Building & Post Office - Left Photo from the 1940s. The Lodi Post Office was completed by the WPA (Living New Deal) in 1936, designed by Louis A Simon and Samuel Heiman, architects.

Click to Enlarge Click to Enlarge 121 S. School St. - Smack Pie Pizza / former site of the King Tsin restaurant / Wilson's Pharmacy (68) / Former Purity Store - Smack Pie Pizza plans to offer happy hours and sell pizza-by-the-slice, individual pizzas and 20-inch full pizzas. Owner Vicki Snell plans to open the pizza parlor with her daughter, who has seven years of restaurant experience.
Click to Enlarge Click to Enlarge 125 S. School St - Synowicki's Jewel Box / De Bois Smart Shop (68)
School St. Walnut Intersects
Click to Enlarge School and Walnut, 1940s
200 S. School St - Financial Center Credit Union / United California Bank (68)
Click to Enlarge Click to Enlarge 203 S. School St. - Former Cottage Bakery, Mar-Val / Tokay Markets #2 (68)/ Safeway - Right photo after Cottage Bakery Closed and before The Dancing Fox
Click to Enlarge 203 S. School St - The Dancing Fox - Former Safeway - Mar-Val - Cottage Bakery
Click to Enlarge 203 S. School St #a - Shangra La Asian Bistro & Sushi Bar
204 S. School St. - R.B. Lehr Gas Station
Click to Enlarge 208 S. School St - House of Clocks / Poser & Co Radios (68)
Click to Enlarge 210 S. School St - New Again Consignment Furniture / Alstate Insurance & Sears Catalog Store (68) / Former  W.G. Holz Tires
210 S. School St - Parrett's General Merchandise
Click to Enlarge Click to Enlarge 212 S. School St. - Stuck In Lodi / Former El Pajaro Mexican Restaurant
214 S. School St. - Former T.A. Bowen Real Estate
216 S. School St. - Lodi Landerette (68)
Click to Enlarge 215 S. School St - Rocha's Mortuary - originally a Dahnken catalog outlet store.
Click to Enlarge 218 S. School - Jackson Hewitt / T.A Bowen & Son Real Estate (68)
220 S. School St - Danz Jewelers / Montgomery Ward Catalog Department (68)
222 S. School St - A Flair With Hair / Alma's Hair Fashions (68)
225 S. School St. - Lodi Funeral Home - Demolished
Click to Enlarge 226 S. School St - Burton's Shoes / Former Winchesters Paint.
Click to Enlarge 230 S. School St - Former Fyffe Auto Repair (68)
Click to Enlarge Click to Enlarge Click to Enlarge Click to Enlarge

Click to Enlarge Click to Enlarge Click to Enlarge

233 S. School St. - Scrambli'z Country Kitchen / Former Lyons Restaurant / Former First Christian Church

Click to Enlarge Click to Enlarge School and Lodi Avenue - Along with the clock tower and its historic arch, the city also built the Gateway Arch as an important element of the Central City Revitalization Concept Plan, which was developed through cooperative efforts of property owners, citizens and urban planners and adopted by the Lodi city council in 1995. Read More

The Gateway Arch

The gateway is based on brick columns created to be sympathetic to the style of nearby City Hall with an iron grapevine sculpture spanning them. The gateway was completed, along with the rest of the streetscaping, by Diede Construction in 1997. The city considers this Gateway Arch to serve as the vehicle and pedestrian entrance for the 21st century.
Click to Enlarge “The Tokay Carnival/Lodi Grape Festival” commemorates the Tokay Carnival, held only once, in 1907, to advertise Tokay grapes being planted throughout the area. In 1934, the annual Lodi Grape Festival resumed promotion of local grape production. Located at the NE corner of Lodi Avenue and School Street.
237 S. School St. - First Christian Church (68)
School St, Lodi Avenue Intersects
Click to Enlarge Downtown Lodi
We are looking for more old Lodi photos - Please share them on our California History Project Facebook Group

Suggested Central Valley Books

Facebook Comments