Lodi Sacramento Street

Sacramento Street, one block to the east of School Street, is beginning to enjoy a renaissance of its own. A 380-space parking garage is heralding the beginnings of new nightspots, eateries, boutiques and shops. A new multi-modal transportation hub is adjacent to the new garage. The transportation hub combines a train and bus station in one facility. Now, you can ride the bus from anywhere in the county to the station and hop a train to the Bay Area or Old Sacramento for a day trip.

The content of this web page is a research work in progress and is being provided to the public for informational purposes only. As such, articles may contain errors, bias, duplication, or need to be cleaned up. Some documents, images and logos contained in these documents belong to various organizations and corporations. Their inclusion here is for the benefit of the reader and for the benefit of the particular organization, although they may, in fact be the copyrighted property of those organizations.

Kettleman Lane
Click here for Kettleman lane
Lodi Avenue
Click here for Lodi Avenue
North Sacramento Street
Click to Enlarge 50 N. Sacramento at Pine from the Parking Garage - Amtrak parking lot from the top of the parking garage at Pine & Sacramento. The buildings in the background are on Main Street. The buildings in the background are from the left:
4 S. Main - Main Hotel / Former Milano Hotel
8 S. Main - Milano Bar & Cafe
10 S. Main - King Yin Cafe / Former Joe Yip Restaurant
18 S. Main - Lido Club Liquors
18 1/2 S. Main - Golden Era Hotel / Former Europa Hotel
22 S. Main - Star Hotel / Former Padre Rooms / Lido Hote - l24-26 E. Main - Former Tukuo Okazaki Groceries
Click to Enlarge 50 N. Sacramento at Pine looking Northeast Lodi Parking Facility

The Central California Traction Company mural on the parking garage in Downtown Lodi.

Click to Enlarge The first merchants settling in Lodi (then called Mokelumne Station) were Charles O. Ivory, a New York native who came to California in 1853, and his partner J. M. Burt. Their general merchandise store featuring living space in the back was built across from the railroad stop on the northwest corner of Pine and Sacramento streets, which was the nucleus of the new town
Click to Enlarge Click to Enlarge Pine & Sacramento looking North. Left photo, early 1800s - 1-27 N. Sacramento
Click to Enlarge 1 N. Sacramento - ESMail & Paulene's Club Tavern (1968) / RH Rinn Real Estate
5 N. Sacramento - Hard Look Tattoo
2 N. Sacramento - Former Arch Service Gas Station
Click to Enlarge 5 N. Sacramento - Hard Look Tattoo
7 N. Sacramento - Former Dean's Barber Shop (1968)
9 N. Sacramento - Former Rex Cafe - Rex Pool Room
Click to Enlarge 7 N. Sacramento - Former Dean's Barber Shop (1968)
9 N. Sacramento - Former Rex Cafe - Rex Pool Room
Click to Enlarge 15 N. Sacramento - Former Fifteen Club Tavern (1968) / Club Coffee Shop
19 N. Sacramento - Former Quin's Tavern (1968) /GW Woell Liquors / Lodi Transfer & Storage (1909)
21 N. Sacramento - Former Lodi Wine Co (1913)
27 N. Sacramento - Former Twenty Seven Club (68)
28 N. Sacramento - Former Lodi City Auto Park - (68)
Click to Enlarge 29 N. Sacramento - Mary's Cafe (68)
31 N. Sacramento - Jack's Back / Former Harold's Club Tavern (68)
Click to Enlarge 35 N. Sacramento - Women Kickin' It
Click to Enlarge 41 N. Sacramento Snippity Clipz - Former Jake & Clay's Barber Shop in 1968
43 N. Sacramento - Sinaloa Cafe / Former Lodi Tamale & Ravoli Restaurant (68)
45 N. Sacramento - Forty Five Club Tavern (68)
45 N. Sacramento - Forty Five Club Tavern (68)
Click to Enlarge Click to Enlarge Click to Enlarge 47 N. Sacramento - McCullum's Bargain Store (68)
71 N. Sacramento - Joe Hassan's warehouse - On April 8, 1876, Lodi Druggist, Byron Beckwith joined with six other men who felt that the growing town needed a meeting hall and formed the Lodi Hall Association. They sold shares for $25 apiece. In September of that year, the association hired Stockton builder Matthew McCarty to build this two-story brick structure at the southwest corner of Elm and Sacramento streets, just across the street from Beckwith's store. This building was called the Granger's Building and housed a general store on the ground floor and the meeting hall on the upper floor. This brick building, is Lodi's oldest commercial building and is currently Joe Hassan's warehouse, the only structure on the block to survive a devastating October 1887 fire.
Click to Enlarge 100 N. Sacramento - Joe Hassan's Clothing & Western Wear / Cal-Tone Shoes (68)
Click to Enlarge 101 N. Sacramento - I.O.O.F Building / Payless Market Liquors / Former LF Boyton Drugs / Greyhound Bus (1939-1940)/ 1930 Weihe's Drug Store. - Karen Brown Anderson photo collection
104 N. Sacramento - Hotel Nobel

107-109 N. Sacramento - Lodi Deli / Chapalita Cafe (68)

107 1/2 N. Sacramento - Palace Hotel (68)

108 N. Sacramento - Graffigna Brothers Auto Parts (68)

109 - Sacramento - Odd Fellow's Hall

111 N. Sacramento - El Grilinese / Three Aces Tavern (68)

114 N. Sacramento - Whisky Barrel Saloon / Liberty Cafe / Dutch Mill Tavern (68)

115 N. Sacramento - Joe Hassan's Dry Goods (68)

116 N. Sacramento - Rainbow Club Liquors / Rainbow Club (68)

117 N. Sacramento - Vintage Sports Grill

118 1/2 N. Sacramento - Plaza Rooms

120 N. Sacramento - Fred's Barber Shop (68)

121 N. Sacramento - El Tropical Tavern (68)

122 N. Sacramento - El Sombrero Bar & Cafe (68)

124 N. Sacramento - Perrin's Body & Tire Shop (68)

125 N. Sacramento St - Mazatlan Cafe - 209-334-0364

Mexican - Tastiest taco: Mazatlan Cafe’s version of a taco is ground beef simmered with potatoes (just enough to give it texture), cheese, lettuce and a homemade sweet tomato sauce in deep fried tortillas.

127 N. Sacramento - Do-Nut Hut (68)

130 N. Sacramento - Lodi Tile Works / Former Gundershaug Electrical (68)

200 N. Sacramento - Sak's Green Thrift Store. It was Frank's TV Service in 1968.

Click to Enlarge 201 N. Sacramento - Lakewood Auto Repair / Former Eagles Hall - A portion of Lowen Chevrolet at the left of the building
204 N. Sacramento - Randolf System Signs (68)

206 N. Sacramento - Eugene Hieb Studebaker

210 N. Sacramento - County Department of Agriculture (68)

214 N. Sacramento - Wright's Garage (68)

217 N. Sacramento - Ehler's Garage (68)

310 N. Sacramento - Ted's Auto Service (68)

321 N. Sacramento - G. Miller Drywall / former G&S Farm Supply (68)

400 N. Sacramento - Mason Fruit Company (68)

405 N. Sacramento - Thomas Auto Body

420 N. Sacramento St - Former Lodi Super Mold (68)

439 N. Sacramento St - Lodi Super Mold Plant(68)

505 N. Sacramento St - Alricks Steel

523 N. Sacramento St - Evergreen Recycling Center

622 N. Sacramento St - Salvation Army

Click to EnlargeArbor Square Cinema. 843 N Sacramento St
The Arbor Theatre was opened as a 196-seat, single-screen house in May, 1980, by Jack and Janice Smith. As told in this article from the Lodi News-Sentinel of July 16, 1981, the house opened with standard Hollywood fare, but low attendance led the Smiths to begin programming Spanish language movies in December, 1980. The new policy proved a success. The Arbor Square Theatre closed in 1995, and was later converted into a church.
South Sacramento Street
Click to Enlarge Click to Enlarge Click to Enlarge 1 S. Sacramento St. - Left photo Lodi National Bank (1920)
Click to Enlarge Sacramento Street looking South
Click to EnlargeSacramento and Pine Street looking North
Click to Enlarge Sacramento and Pine looking West
7 S. Sacramento - Playboy Cocktail Lounge (68)

9 S. Sacramento - the launch pad

11 S. Sacramento - Lodi Major Appliance (68)

Click to Enlarge 17 S. Sacramento - Former William Bauer Bicycles
19 S. Sacramento - A1 Upholstery (68)K.O. Lock Meats
Click to Enlarge 21 S. Sacramento - Uptown Thrift / Former Henderson Brothers Hardware & Sheet metal (68)
Click to Enlarge 24 S. Sacramento - Lodi Amtrak - The depot was erected in 1869 for the Central Pacific Railroad as part of their route from Stockton north to Sacramento. The railroad reservation between Main and Sacramento Streets and between Walnut and Locust Streets was established at the same time that the plan for the town was surveyed. Railroad services were first required for agricultural transport. Read more about Lodi Amtrak

24 S. Sacramento - Lodi Amtrak

After the Southern Pacific Railroad (SP) acquired the Central Pacific, Southern Pacific built a new depot in 1907 a half block north of the original, which had stood on the site of the current station and had burned the previous year. Passenger trains continued to serve Lodi until April 30, 1971, at which time the SP depot was closed. It took until 1993, when railroad stations in the central valley were being studied, for strong local interest to gather in favor of reusing the depot.

In February 1999, Amtrak’s San Joaquin made a symbolic visit to the Lodi SP depot shortly before beginning regular service connecting Bakersfield and Sacramento, the first through the San Joaquin Valley in 27 years. The San Joaquin would not actually begin to serve Lodi until three years later, although it would run through their downtown. In order to receive that service, the city moved the SP depot south of Pine Street and restored it into the present transit center—a $2.3 million project necessitated by the requirement for an 800-foot platform for Amtrak trains.

On March 18, 2002, passenger rail service then returned to Lodi after a 31-year hiatus, celebrated by a crowd of over 600 gathering for cake and champagne to honor that first northbound passenger train

The bronze Sandhill Crane sculpture at the Lodi bus depot 24 S.Sacramento Street. By Rowland Cheney.
Click to Enlarge 25 S. Sacramento St. - Beckman, Welch & Thompson General Merchandise
27 S. Sacramento St. - Lodi Publishing (68)

33 S. Sacramento St. - Betty Barron Apron Company (68)

35 S. Sacramento - Lodi Home Magazine

37 S. Sacramento St. - Kleen Rite Cleaners (68)

39 S. Sacramento - Miller Floor Covering (68) Atwood Hotel
Click to Enlarge 41 S. Sacramento - Meyer & Baumbach Civil Engineers (68)Former Lodi Home Bakery Lodi Home Bakery - Albert Binse started the bakery in 1901. He rented part of undertaker Frank O. Hales new building on the south side of Pine Street, just west of the alley a half block from Sacramento Street - Read more about Lodi Home Bakery

41 S. Lodi Home Bakery

In 1909, with his new partner Rudolph Wedler, Jacob Gatzert bought the property at 41 S. Sacramento St. and relocated Lodi Home Bakery. Gatzert installed a brick oven. As business grew, Gatzert bought more space and added modern equipment. The business frontage eventually expanded to cover 34 feet. The bakery was able to produce 2,000 bread loaves per day.

In the early 1960s, the smell of baking bread disappeared from Sacramento Street. The building at 41 S. Sacramento St. was vacant. By this time, there are several bakeries in Lodi including Alexanders, Larson and Knutsons Cottage Bakery, Lodi Avenue Bakery, Fluffy Donuts and Trefz Specialty Bakery.

In 2004, the site of the Lodi Home Bakery was occupied by Moores Shou Shu Studios where karate lessons were taught. Nearly all of Lodi Home Bakerys former competitors also are closed. The faded painting of Dandy bread is the only reminder of the local product that was part of many Lodians lives.
50 S. Sacramento - Eberle & Giatt Gas Station
Click to Enlarge Sacramento Street in the early 1900s looking north from near Oak Street. The Lodi Arch, built in 1907 over Pine Street, is visible past the wagons on the right. The bear on top of the arch is just visible and indicates the photo was taken after 1909, when the papier mâché decoration was placed there. The rails of the Central California Traction line ran down the middle of Sacramento Street. Passenger rail cars, powered by electricity from the overhead power lines, provided service to Downtown Lodi into the 1930s. These rails, first laid in 1907, are now being uncovered and removed in the street repaving project currently underway on Sacramento Street. Ralph Lea courtesy photograph
100 S. Sacramento - Giant Discount Tire / Firestone Store (68)

101 S. Sacramento - Morris Automotive 968) / Hepper Furniture

105 S. Sacramento - Lodi French Laundry (68)
Click to Enlarge 111-119 S Sacramento - Former Green Ford / Kreiger Motor Co Ford-Mercury-Lincoln Dealer. Demolished for Post Office Expansion. Read more about Geweke

Geweke Ford Dealership

The Geweke Ford dealership was first established in 1966. It was previously known as Green Ford Sales and dated back to about 1916.

The dealership was initially located on Sacramento Street, in the space on now occupied by the U.S. Post Office parking lot. In 1972, the business moved to Cherokee Lane at Poplar Street

200 S. Sacramento - Former Billy's Drive In / Lodi Soda Works (1913)

205 S. Sacramento - Tax Form Supply (68)

207 S. Sacramento - Charles Hann Accountant (68) / Former Pump Shop - (1940) - Demolished
Click to Enlarge Click to Enlarge 209 S. Sacramento - Security Lock & Key / Hotel Royal 968) / Former Weigland Hotel / Wahl Hotel. Left Photo - “Historic Sacramento Street” mural, 209 S. Sacramento St. By Tony Segale. Dedicated June 2009. It honors the first merchants in the area, dating back to the 1860s. Located along Sacramento Street, between Walnut Street and Lodi Avenue.
Click to Enlarge Click to Enlarge 216 S. Sacramento - O'Gren's Auction / Former Swerington-Jentoff Oldsmobile (68)/former B&W Motor Sales
Click to Enlarge 217 S. Sacramento - Henderson Brothers Heating & Air Conditioning / Lowen Auto Body Company (68)/ Former Poe Fruit Exchange Building
Click to Enlarge Click to Enlarge Click to Enlarge 221 S. Sacramento - Blewett's Ice Cream / Former Blewett's Dairy / Former L.G. Brown, Dodge-Plymouth. / Blewett's - 309 S. Sacramento in 1928-1940
229 S. Sacramento - Signal Oil
School Street
Click to Enlarge Click here for Lodi School Street
Click to Enlarge Downtown Lodi
We are looking for more old Lodi photos - Please share them on our California History Project Facebook Group

Suggested Central Valley Books

Facebook Comments