Lodi Pine Street Then and Now

In 1902 Lodi's Pine Street was thriving. Located on the Southern Pacific Railroad fourteen miles north of Stockton. It was the second town in size and business in San Joaquin County. There were two wineries and a cannery, enabling the farmers to find a ready market for their fruits and Vegetables. There were five churches, public and high schools, bank, wells Fargo Express office and telegraph and telephone offices.

The content of this web page is a research work in progress and is being provided to the public for informational purposes only. As such, articles may contain errors, bias, duplication, or need to be cleaned up. Some documents, images and logos contained in these documents belong to various organizations and corporations. Their inclusion here is for the benefit of the reader and for the benefit of the particular organization, although they may, in fact be the copyrighted property of those organizations.

The photos on this page are a collection of past and present.

Pine Street - Central Avenue Intersects
Click here for Central Avenue
Pine Street - Cherokee Lane Intersects
Click here for Cherokee Lane
Pine Street - Church Street Intersects
Click here for Church Street
Pine Street - Ham Lane Intersects
Click to Enlarge Click here for Ham Lane
Pine Street - Hutchins Street Intersects
Click here for Hutchins Street
Pine Street - Main Street Intersects
Click here for Main Street
East Pine Street
Click to Enlarge Click to Enlarge Click to Enlarge 50 N. Sacramento Street - A 380-space parking garage is heralding the beginnings of new nightspots, eateries, boutiques and shops.
100 E. Pine St - New Shanghai Restaurant (68)
Click to Enlarge 101 E. Pine St - Wags to Riches / Former New Shanghai Restaurant / Quong Wong Restaurant (1937)
105 E. Pine - Ideal Rooms (1950) / Hotel Eureka (1920)
103 E. Pine St - The Pioneer Tavern (68)

111 E. Pine George Tasaki - Auto Repair / Pine Street Garage (68)

Click to Enlarge 112 E. Pine St - S. Khan Auto Sales / Culberson Auction Co (68) / Former A.M. Closson Blacksmith
Click to Enlarge 115 E. Pine - Black Diamond Smokers Club / Former E.A. Smalley Auto Parts
115 1/2 E. Pine - Pine Street Launderette (68) /Former Hotel Tokay
119 E. Pine - Wong's Mandarin Restaurant / Former Peirano Market (68)
121 E. Pine - Former Tony Mecurio watch repair
Click to Enlarge 123 E. Pine St - S. Khan Auto Sales
200 E. Pine - Courtesy Motors (68)
Click to Enlarge Click to Enlarge 201 E. Pine - Casa Del Pueblo Grocery Store / In the 70's, it was The Greyhound bus depot / Courtesy Lincoln Mercury / Former Tokay Motors - Cadillac & Pontiac 
208 E. Pine - Courtesy Motors Office(68)
Click to Enlarge 211 E. Pine - Laundromat
Click to Enlarge 217-219 E. Pine -
Click to Enlarge Click to Enlarge 301 E. Pine - El Rinconcito Restaurant - Former Foster's Freeze / Elton Gardenshire Confections
Click to Enlarge Click to Enlarge 408 E. Pine - Buchanan Hospital - today a care home
Click to Enlarge Click to Enlarge Click to Enlarge Pine & Sacramento - Lodi Arch - The forty-foot high Lodi commemorative Mission arch was designed by architect E. B. Brown and was built in 1907, the year after Lodi became an incorporated city. Built for $500, the arch spans Pine Street, the purpose of the Arch was to provide a formal, fancy entrance to the grounds of the Tokay Carnival, the first Lodi Grape Festival held to “advertise to the world the beauty and value of the Tokay grape.” Lodi then called itself “the Tokay Capital of the World.”. It is registered as a California Historical Landmark and a National Historical Landmark and one of the few remaining mission revival style ceremonial arches in California.

From 1908 to the early 1930s, a fire bell inside the arch alerted volunteer firefighters when they were needed.

In 1909, the Lodi Parlor of Native Sons stole a paper mache bear that the Stockton club used as a parade float decoration. The Lodi group put the stolen bear on top of the arch, facing south toward Stockton. In 1934, a new, sturdier bear was built and painted gold.

In 1956 the aging arch had become an eyesore. Some wanted it torn down. Others started a “Save the Arch” campaign and restored it. Among the renovations, the bear received an extra layer of plaster and was turned around to face north toward Sacramento, the state Capitol. The arch was re-dedicated in 1956, at which time the paper mache bear which sits atop the arch was pointed north toward the state capitol. On June 14, 2001, the Lodi Arch Bear was rededicated after being given a 24-karat gold leaf finish by Lodi sign painter Tony Segale.

West Pine Street
Click to Enlarge Click to Enlarge Click to Enlarge Pine and 1 S. Sacramento St. - Left photo Lodi National Bank (1920)
Click to Enlarge Pine and Sacramento looking East
4 1/2 W. Pine - Moose Hall

5 W. Pine St - Liberty Tax

5 1/2 W. Pine Freidberger-Blodgett Building

10 W. Pine - Lodi Shoe Store (1920s)

Click to Enlarge 13 W. Pine - Beauty & The Beast Pet Salon

Former A&W Plaque in front of 13 W. Pine where A&W Root Beer was first served. Lodi is more well known for its wines, however A&W Root Beer is another famous beverage that traces its roots here.

Roy Allen was in Arizona as a traveling businessman when he acquired a recipe of herbs, spices, barks and berries retired chemist that created a tasty root beer. Allen later settled in Lodi, where he decided to try out this recipe.

On June 4, 1919, he set up a stand outside of 13 W. Pine St. and made his root beer available to thousands of people attending a special homecoming parade for Lodi’s returning World War I veterans. People loved the root beer, and Allen started selling it in ice-cold mugs for 5 cents each.

He quickly opened more stands in Stockton and Sacramento. In 1922, he added a partner named Frank Wright. Combining the initials of their last names, the partners labeled their new beverage A&W Root Beer. By 1924 or 1925, they closed the Lodi stand, but rapidly expanded operations nationwide.

By 1954, A&W returned to Lodi, when they opened a restaurant at 216 E. Lodi Ave. which is still there today

16 W. Pine - Zimmerman's Pharmacy / Front and back of a photo envelope from Samuel H. Zimmerman's Pharmacy, 16 West Pine Street in Lodi. It was Fred L. Marchand's, and dates from approximately 1913-1917. James C. Jacobson's Optometry practice was also located at 16 West Pine Street.
17 1/2 W. Pine - Earle Hotel

18 W. Pine - Hale Building

19 W. Pine - Lodi Motor Co - Chevrolet (1920s)
Click to Enlarge 21 W. Pine - Tillies Coffee. Tea, Etc. / Formerly The Fountain
21 1/2 W. Pine - Van Buskirk Building
Click to Enlarge Click to Enlarge Click to Enlarge Pine and School Streets - Right - 1961 High School Band - Left looking East
116 W. Pine - Turner Hardware

121 W. Pine - Hansel & Ortman Oldsmobile

200 W. Pine - Desoto, Plymouth

204 W. Pine - Former Grape Festival & Wine Show

212 W. Pine - Lodi News
Click to Enlarge Click to Enlarge Click to Enlarge 221 W. Pine - Lodi City Hall By the mid-1920s, Lodi had grown rapidly and needed a new city government building. The city started saving money in 1923. In 1924, the city bought these two lots on West Pine Street close to the library. There was some criticism that the land was too far out of town.

In 1927, construction started on the Italian Renaissance-style brick building that had a basement, two floors, tile roof and Philippine mahogany floor inside. The building cost $70,472.20 to build and equip with everything from steel furniture and opera chairs to Venetian blinds. The city paid cash with income earned from the city-owned utilities. No tax increase or bonds were necessary.

Lodi City Hall was formally dedicated Feb. 22, 1928.

The police department worked out of the basement until 1967, when the new Public Safety Building was completed. In 1996, a $3 million renovation was completed on the building. It is still the headquarters for Lodi city government.

Click to Enlarge Click to Enlarge In 2001 a gigantic granite globe of granite was eased into place as the centerpiece of the new All Veterans Plaza, next to Lodi City Hall. The stone sphere which came from China, weighs 31,000 pounds, is 8 feet across, and required a huge crane to swing it into place. The $490,000 memorial was constructed on West Pine Street between Carnegie Forum and City Hall. The sphere sits at the base of a 13-foot-high fountain topped by a gas-powered eternal flame. The memorial also features a 20-foot stainless steel obelisk. The money will be repaid to the city with public donations and fundraising.
Click to Enlarge Click to Enlarge Pine & 6 S. Pleasant - IOOF Hall
Click to Enlarge Click to Enlarge 305 W. Pine St. Carnegie Forum, This building was originally the first Lodi Public Library. Built in 1910 with $9,000 donated by steel magnate and philanthropist Andrew Carnegie who gave money nationwide to build libraries in small communities. This was the first permanent home for the library that began as a simple reading room with a few donated books in 1882.

The building was dedicated on Feb. 12, 1910. By June, 400 residents had library cards.

After more than 60 years in this location, Lodi outgrew the old library, and a new one was built in 1979. This building then was used only for storage, but 10 years later it had a new purpose.

On Aug. 15, 1989, the old library building was re-dedicated as Carnegie Forum, where the Lodi City Council and other civic commissions hold public meetings.

Click to Enlarge 309 W. Pine - Alma Apartments - A painted white complex, built in 1920, with brick trim around the doors and windows and a beautiful glass cantilevered awning over the front doors. The building is fanciful with many stylish details. When you peer into the front door you can see rich wood paneling. The building was originally constructed in 1920. Initially, it had eight bedrooms and four bathrooms, but has seen extensive interior renovations over the years.
Click to Enlarge 314 W. Pine - Golden Pine Guest Home / Originally the office of Dr. Mayo
Click to Enlarge 315 W. Pine - Masonic Building
Click to Enlarge 318 W. Pine - Town & Country Real Estate
Click to Enlarge Click to Enlarge 325 W. Pine - Lodi Woman's Club Building - The Lodi Woman’s Club building is nearly 90 years old and is listed with the state and federal registry of historical places. The grand colonial-style building took eight years to build, from the first plans and fundraising in 1915 to the building dedication in 1923. That perseverance of the group was typical of the Lodi women.

The Lodi women first organized as a group in 1906. They were the Lodi Improvement Club organized to assist in Lodi’s progress and betterment. They raised money for the library and to provide better fire protection, streets and sidewalks, and garbage collection. Among the early projects was installing a water fountain on Sacramento Street to offer an alternative drink for the men who frequented the saloons.

In 1908, the club officially became the Lodi Woman’s Club. Construction on their club building began in 1922. The building featured an auditorium that was the largest in Lodi at the time. The building was delayed because they waited for designer A.B. Bassenett to return from Italy. The women felt he was worth the wait, and the building’s French doors and Italian Renaissance chandeliers, still in use today, show the effort. The building cost $51,000 to build and furnish.

When it was completed in March 1923, the club had 450 members. Dues were $5. Today the membership is more than 100. The building remains a busy place and is the location for weddings and other social functions.

Sacramento Street
Click here for Sacramento Street
School Street
Click to Enlarge Click here for Lodi School Street
Click here for Stockton Street
Washington Street
Click here for Washington Street 

We are looking for more old Lodi photos - Please share them on our California History Project Facebook Group

Suggested Central Valley Books

Facebook Comments