Battle Between General Vallejo & San Joaquin Indians

10 miles south of Manteca

Historic San Joaquin

Shopping

San Joaquin County
Historical Places


Historical Landmarks are events, buildings, sites, or features of statewide importance and have anthropological, architectural, scientific, cultural, military, political, religious, economic, experimental, technical or other importance. Historical Landmarks may be qualified for historical registration if they encounter a minimum of one of the criteria listed below:

1) Is an outstanding example, a prototype, an architectural movement, a period, style, construction or one of a more prominent works or an outstanding surviving work within a region, a designer, pioneer architect or master builder

2) Was associated with a group, or an individual having an overwhelming influence on California history

3) Is the most significant, only, last, firs, of its kind within a sizeable geographic area or in the state

The California Landmark Program originated during the late 1800s when the California Historical Landmarks League and the Landmarks Club were formed.The program officially began in 1931 when legislation named the California Department of Natural Resources and subsequently the State Chamber of Commerce to register and mark landmarks or buildings of historical importance or interest.

In 1948, then Governor Earl Warren started the California Historical Landmarks Advisory Committee as a means to heighten the credibility and the integrity of the program. Subsquently, in 1974, this committee bevame the California Historical Resources Commission. Registered landmarks information with numberes 770 and higher is stored in the authoritative guide. of the California Register of Historical Resources. Those Landmarks with numbers of 669 and less were registered before to specific standards being established, and may be elgible for inclusion to the California Register as criteria for evaluating these properties are adopted.

San Joaquin County has had several villages, some are forgotten, some are but skeletons of their former self, and some linger along hoping for a revival of the days of "49". Clements, Lockeford, Waterloo, Liberty, Elliott, Mokelumne City , New Hope, Collegeville, French Camp, Linden, Woodbridge, Banta, Atlanta are all towns of the past, post road towns built up and maintained by the staging and teaming of the early days and the farming community. Now staging and teaming is dead and the farmers no longer require community centers, for they ride to town on the steam or traction cars, or sail over the roads in their automobiles.

Click to Enlarge Benjamin Holt Home - 548 E. Park St - Benjamin Holt's home was constructed in 1869 by his father-in-law Benjamin Brown in the Greek Revival style. Square blocks, tall windows, high peaks, and a solid, square frame are hallmarks of the house, which was unusual in a time when most homes were built in the Gothic style. The lower floor contained many small rooms that would have been useful for entertaining or receiving guests; the main floor contained the kitchen, and the second floor housed a smaller kitchen and several small rooms connected to a long hallway. At the time of Holt's best-known invention, his home was fairly secluded and took up an entire city, his closest neighbors being a brewery and the asylum on North American Street. A New Hampshire native, Holt and his brothers had started a wagon spoke and wheel business, which they expanded to the west coast when they moved to Stockton in 1883. Their Stockton Wheel Company manufactured wooden and metal wheels, which mostly went into the construction of streetcars. In 1892, the company was renamed the Holt Manufacturing Company, moved to Aurora Street, and became one of the city's first large businesses to bring recognition to the city. The company produced the Combined Harvester, a piece of farming equipment similar to a tractor that was pulled by 26 mules and horses, and eventually sold it throughout the United States and the rest of the world. After November 1909, the company produced and sold a Caterpillar track- type tractor, the design later influencing the construction of armored tanks. The home was added to the city register by resolution number 29,100 on June 7, 1971. The site is #82002254 on the National Register of Historic Places, and was added on March 2, 1982, and is home to the Martin Gipson Center of the San Joaquin County Health Care Services Agency’s Mental Health Division
Click to Enlarge Commercial & Savings Bank - 343 E. Main St - Commercial & Savings Bank - 343 E Main St. This Beaux Arts-Renaissance Revival style building was built by Dietrich & Liestern Construction in 1915 for the Commercial & Savings Bank. After sustaining heavy fire damage in 1923, the building was repaired and doubled in size along the Sutter Street side. Later owners included the Bank of America and the Grupe Corporation. The building is #80000849 on the National Register of Historic Places and was added on November 25, 1980. The building was added to the city register by resolution number 85-0306 on May 13, 1985, and is currently home to the Cort Companies.
Click to Enlarge El Dorado Elementary School - 1525 Pacific Avenue - Built in 1916 one of the greatest instances of the early part of the 20th century schools to be found in Northern California. Constructed in customized Elizabethan Tudor Architecture in a very effective approach by Stockton architects, Louis L. Stone and William J. Wright. Originally there were 14 classroom and subsequently enlarged in 1922. Community efforts resulted in preservation and placement of the building on the U.S. National historic places register 1977000335.
Click to Enlarge Elks Building - 42 N. Sutter St - Built in 1908 the (1900-24)Chicago style by Architects Salfield & Kohlberg, a five-story structure which featured a massive stained glass skylight dome originally proposed for the Elks Hall in San Francisco, however after the earthquake of 1906 t was switched to Stockton.. The Elks Benevolent Protective Order held their meetings until 1976 upon the top floor. The dome was later taken away and sold. In 1980 The upper floors received fire damage, however the lobby still features the original Elks motif mosaic floor The structure is #80004606 on the National Historic Places Register, added June 3, 1980
Click to Enlarge Farmers and Merchants Bank - 11 S. San Joaquin - California Building Built in 1917 for the former Farmers and Merchants Bank. The building is the work of prominent San Francisco Architect George W. Kelham. With almost no exterior changes it exemplifies renaissance revival style and reflects early local interest in building skyscrapers. A granite and brick building, it's listed in the National Register of Historic Places. National register #1980000850
Click to Enlarge Fox California Theatre (Bob Hope Theatre) - 242 E. Main St - Built in 1930 on the former T & D Theatre site, a truly ornate mission revival Fox California with its unique tower and vaudeville Marquee reigned as Stockton’s premier movie palace. The baroque interior boasts of magnificent columns, exquisite chandeliers and extensive ornamentation. The theatre presented both movie and stage productions. The Fox is listed in the National Register of Historic Places. #1979000540
Click to Enlarge Gridley Monument - Stockton Rural Cemetery near Memory Chapel Located at the Stockton Rural Cemetery close to the Memory Chapel at Cemetery Lane & East Pine Street. This memorial was put up by Rawlins Post of the Grand Army of the Republic along with citizens of Stockton to honor Reuel Colt Gridley, for providing his services when he gathered $275,000 for the Sanitary Commission by selling and reselling a sack of flour to help Union soldiers out during the War of the Rebellion. Memorial number 801 on California's Office of Historic Preservation's Historical Landmark list #801
Click to Enlarge Hotel Stockton - Weber & Eldorado St. - Constructed in 1910,  a prime example of mission revival architecture and was the first steel reinforced concrete building in the central valley. Construction cost of $500,000 was financed by the Hotel Stockton company. The 200 room hotel was once the city’s finest hostelry. It first opened for business May 26, 1910 and closed in 1961. National Register 198100174
Click to Enlarge John Brown Burial Site - 1100 E. Weber - at North Union Street. John Brown, Stockton resident from 1851 to 1859, is notable for his four-day ride from Los Angeles to San Francisco to warn Commodore Stockton of the attack on Los Angeles. As a result of his actions, troops were sent to secure the city, and Brown - nicknamed Juan Flaco - became known as the 'Paul Revere of California.' He was buried in the former Citizen's Cemetery near this site, which is #513 on the Office of Historic Preservation's California Historical Landmark list.
Click to Enlarge Lindsay Point - First Building Site- In August 1844, the first settlers arrived at Rancho del Campo de los Franceses. One of the company, Thomas Lindsay, built the first dwelling, a tule hut, on this site. He was later murdered by Indians and buried here by travelers. The Point was formed by the junction of McLeod's Lake and Miner's Channel. - California Historical Landmark #178
Click to Enlarge Locke's Meat Market 13480 Highway 88 - Lockeford. National Register #82002253
Click to Enlarge Moses Rodgers Home - 921 S. San Joaquin- The San Francisco-style home, with its bay window, tongue and groove siding, and wrap- around porch, was constructed for Missouri native - and African-American - Moses Rogers. Rogers was born a slave, but became a mining engineer and came to California for the Gold Rush in 1848. He quickly became known as an expert in the state, and investors went to him for advice regarding mining claims. Rogers moved his family to Stockton so that his five daughters would receive a good education, something that the schools were able to provide. The home is notable because of its architectural style, as well as the fact that it was owned by an African-American family. It is #78000763 on the National Register of Historic Places and was listed in 1978. It was added to the city register by resolution number 35,546 August 28, 1978
Click to Enlarge Nippon Hospital - 25 S. Commerce- Built in a Classical Revival style with gable crowns, colored brick, and classic Greek architecture, the two-story, 4864 square-foot structure was constructed in 1919 in response to the inadequate care that Japanese people received during an influenza outbreak the previous year. Named for the Japanese word for 'Japan,' the hospital featured 30 hospital rooms, a surgery suite, and an ethnic kitchen. Due to its central location within the Japanese area of Stockton, as well as racial discrimination from Chinese and non-Asians elsewhere, the hospital catered exclusively to Stockton's Japanese population of approximately 4,300 - one of the largest in the United States. The hospital incorporated in 1922, and reorganized in 1925, only to close its doors in 1930 due to financial matters. The building was later used as the Hotel Bryant until 1978, when the Stockton City Council placed it on the historical landmark list by resolution number 35,548 on August 28, 1978. As the building itself is the only remaining structure from the early Japanese community in Stockton, it was also listed on the National Register of Historic Places as #78000762 on September 18, 1978
Click to Enlarge St Johns Episcopal Church and Guild Hall - 115 E. Miner St. The guild hall of this church is an outstanding example of Nordic architecture: it was completed in 1889 at a cost of $9,200. The adjacent church was erected for $10,000 and the first service was held December 18, 1892. Saint John’s and all older churches in the city received land from Stockton’s founder, Captain Charles M. Weber.
Click to Enlarge St Mary's Church - 203 E. Washington St. California’s First Archbishop, Joseph S. Alemany, laid the cornerstone July 21, 1861. The first mass was celebrated Christmas Eve of the same year. In 1870 the transept was added. The present steeple and ornate façade date from 1893. Saint Mary’s is the oldest catholic parish in the San Joaquin Valley.
Click to Enlarge Sperry Building - 146 W. Weber Avenue - This Victorian Commercial style building served as the offices for Sperry Flour Company, and was designed by local architect Charles Beasley; in 1917, an addition was constructed to the rear of this building, which matched the original exactly. The Sperry Building was added to the city register by resolution number 29,086 on June 1, 1971. It is #82002255 on the National Register of Historic Places, and was added in 1982 as the Sperry Office Building. Today it houses the headquarters for Stockton’s professional soccer team, the California Cougars.
Click to Enlarge Sperry Union Mill Warehouse - 445 W. Weber Ave Constructed in the1870s through 1897 This building is from an era when Stockton was a major milling and international shipping center for grain. Built in stages, it was first occupied by the Granger co-operative union as one of its Eureka Warehouses. The present size was reached after three expansions by the Sperry Flour Company to serve the adjacent flour mill. It is listed in the National Register of Historic Places #1979000541
Stockton Developmental Center - 510 E. Magnolia St California Register No. 1016
Click to Enlarge Stockton Savings & Loan - 301 E. Main St - A Classic Revival style building, designed by San Francisco architects Myers and Ward, and featured Stockton's first revolving door as well as a marble interior. Known as 'Stockton's first skyscraper,' this was the third building to serve as headquarters for Stockton Savings & Loan (now Bank of Stockton). The top two floors have always been home to the Yosemite Club, the oldest private club in California. The building is #78000764 on the National Register of Historic Places and was added in 1978. The building was added to the city register by resolution number 34,630 on November 7, 1977. The building is currently vacant.
Click to Enlarge Superintendent's Home - 521 E. Acacia St. - Built in 1900  for the Stockton state hospital at a cost of $5,800. This 16 room home is an excellent example of a southern mansion. The state hospital was established in 1853 as the first publicly supported facility for the mentally ill in the west. Located in the Magnolia Historic Preservation District. National Register of Historic Places The home was added to the city register by resolution number 29,086 on June 1, 1971
Click to Enlarge Original Temple Israel - 821 N. American St - Built in 1855 A simple clapboard siding building, it's one of Stockton’s oldest buildings and also the oldest surviving synagogue structure in California. Originally constructed near Miner Avenue and El Dorado Street it seated 200 and served surrounding counties. The building was moved to this site in 1905 and converted to apartments. Located in the Magnolia Historic Preservation District. The oldest building on the city register, the building was added to the city register by resolution number 39,264 on July 26, 1982
Click to Enlarge Temple Israel Cemetery - East Acacia Street between North Pilgrim and North Union streets. The cemetery site was donated to the Jewish community by Captain Charles Maria Weber in 1851. The site is currently the oldest Jewish cemetery in continuous use in California and west of the Rocky Mountains, and is #765 on the Office of Historic Preservation's California Historical Landmark list
b>Temporary Detention Camps - Administration Bldg, San Joaquin County Fairgrounds, Airport Way, Stockton - FOR JAPANESE AMERICANS- STOCKTON ASSEMBLY CENTER - Here, within the confines of San Joaquin County Fairgrounds, enclosed by barbed wire and housed in temporary barracks, 4,217 San Joaquin County residents of Japanese ancestry, predominately American citizens, were interned from May 10 to October 17, 1942 under Executive Order 9066. May such usurpation of civil, social, and economic rights, without specific charges or trial, never again occur. California Marker No. 934
Click to Enlarge Tretheway Block - 229 E. Weber St - Originally constructed as the Argonaut Hotel, with a hardware store at street level, this Queen Anne style structure includes Romanesque and Moorish elements of cast zinc floral patterns and sandstone. When constructed, the building had a taller false front parapet, which fell during the San Francisco earthquake in 1906; when the false front was reconstructed, it assumed a lower profile. The building is #82000987 on the National Register of Historic Places, and was added in 1982 as the Tretheway Block. The structure was added to the city register by resolution number 38,554 on September 8, 1981.
Click to Enlarge Weber Point - Confluence of Stockton Channel & McLeod Lake - 221 N. Center Street. The point is the site of a two-story adobe- and-redwood house built in 1850 by Captain Charles Maria Weber, founder and pioneer developer of Stockton. One of the first elaborate residences and landscaped gardens in the San Joaquin Valley, it was Captain Weber's home until his death in 1881. Today the 9.7-acre (39,000 m2) site is home to the Weber Point Event Center, which includes the Great Circle, Plaza, step Amphitheater, children's play area, an interactive water feature, Point Amphitheater, main stage, and waterfront promenade. The site was added to the city register by resolution number 30,304 on March 12, 1973, and is #165 on the Office of Historic Preservation's California Historical Landmark list
Click to Enlarge Weber Primary School - 55 W. Flora St - This school was named after Capt. Charles M. Weber, founder of Stockton, who donated land for many early schools. Construction cost $12,888. May 12, 1873 was dedication day and classes have continued to date. The red brick architecture is representative of the type of building once prevalent throughout Stockton that inspired a long forgotten nickname “the brick city.” It's the oldest brick building in the city retaining its original appearance. Old Weber Elementary School in the Magnolia Historic Preservation District. The building was added to the city register by resolution number 29,100 on June 7, 1971. It is #73000445 on the National Register of Historic Places, and was added as the Old Weber School in 1973.
Click to Enlarge Wong K. Gew Mansion - 345 W. Clay - Designed by architect Peter Sala and constructed in a Classical Neo-Georgian style (1900- 24) by Losekann & Clowdsley, the home was one of the most costly in Stockton by the time it was completed in 1921. Gew had arrived in New York in 1900, and moved to Stockton in 1910, operating gambling establishments and acting as a partner in the Lincoln Hotel and owner of the Tong King Company and other Stockton gambling establishments. At the time, city ordinance prohibited Chinese people from establishing homes north of Main Street, so Gew chose a large plot of land on Clay Street for his Southern-style home with twelve rooms (including two sleeping rooms for servants), a marble fireplace, Honduras mahogany, columns, classical windows, and a balcony. Gew is noted for breaking through several cultural and racial barriers, including hiring a Caucasian architect to design his home, as well as the fact that he was a well-respected Chinese businessman who had money, owned a car, and built an extravagant home outside of the area covered by the ordinance. The home is #78000761 on the National Register of Historic Places, and was added on September 20, 1978. It was added to the city register by resolution number 30,834 on November 5, 1973

North County

Click to Enlarge Lodi Arch - SE corner of E Pine and S Sacramento Sts, Lodi. Designed by architect E. B. Brown and built in 1907 for the Lodi Tokay Carnival, the arch served as an entrance into Lodi and a symbol of agricultural and commercial growth. Essentially unaltered since construction, the structure is one of few remaining Mission Revival ceremonial arches left within California.California Marker No. 931
Click to Enlarge Benson's Ferry - South bank of N Fork Mokelumne River 100 ft off County J8 3 mile north of Thornton - This river ferry, established in 1849, was purchased by John A. Benson in 1850. In 1852, Benson laid out the then-principal wagon road between Sacramento and Stockton. Following Benson's murder in 1859, the ferry was operated by his son-in-law, Ed Gayetty.  - California No. 149
Click to Enlarge Site of Mokelumne City - 200 ft North of Intersection of Cameron Rd. & Thornton Rd 3 miles north of Thornton - Established in 1850, its prospects were bright. The second largest town in the county, it had deep water communication with San Francisco all year round, an advantage not possessed by any other town in the county except Stockton. The floods of 1862 destroyed the town. California Marker No 162
Click to Enlarge Lone Star Mill - Entrance to Stillman L. Magee Park, Mackville Rd, 1 mile North of Clements - A sawmill built in 1852 on the Mokelumne River was removed to Hodge and (David S.) Terry's ranch in 1854 and a flour mill attached the following year. The mill burned in 1856 and was rebuilt on its present site as the Lone Star Mill.- California No 155
Click to Enlarge Lockeford (Locke's Ford) - 0.6 mi N on Elliotte Rd, Lockeford - It was on this hill that Dr. Dean Jewett Locke and his brother Elmer H. Locke built the first cabin on this section in 1851. Disturbed by grizzly bears, they spent their first nights in the oak trees. Dr. Locke, physician for the Boston and Newton Joint Stock Company, left Boston on April 16, 1849 to cross the plains and arrive at Sacramento on September 16, 1849. Because he built and maintained a ford across the Mokelumne River, his wife, Delia Hammond Locke, in 1859 named the town he laid out on his ranch Lockeford. California Marker No. 365
Click to Enlarge Trail of the John C. Fremont Expedition - NW corner of junction of Hwy 88 and Calaveras River. Frémont's historic second overland expedition of 1843-44 was the first in which he reached California. He and his companions entered California in the dead of winter, camped across the snowbound Sierra, spent a month at Sutter's Fort in the Sacramento Valley, and then continued south through the San Joaquin Valley. Frémont's report added to the growing American interest in the Far West and California, making this 1844 expedition one of the most influential events in American westward expansion. Frémont camped at this site on March 26, 1844 - California Marker No. 955
Click to Enlarge Wood's Ferry - Present Bridge is approx location of original ferry bridge - In 1852, immediately after his arrival and completion of his cabin, Wood proceeded to build a ferryboat and establish the crossing known as Wood's Ferry. In 1858, he built a toll bridge at the old ferry crossing, charging $1 for a pair of animals and wagon, and .50 extra for every additional pair of animals with the wagon. California Marker No. !63
Click to Enlarge Town of Woodbridge - On County Hwy Jl0, Woodbridge - In 1852 Jeremiah H. Woods and Alexander McQueen established a ferry across the Mokelumne River at this point. As a result, a new road from Stockton to Sacramento by way of Wood's Ferry was established. In 1858 Woods built a bridge at the site of the ferry from which the town, laid out in April 1859, took its name. California Marker No. 359
Click to Enlarge San Joaquin Valley College - 18500 N Lilac St, Woodbridge. Built through subscription by the residents of Woodbridge and dedicated as Woodbridge Seminary in 1879 by the United Brethren Church, this was the site of San Joaquin Valley College from 1882 to 1897. It was then used as Woods Grammar School until 1922, when the building was dismantled. California Maker No. 520

South County

Click to Enlarge Battle Between General Vallejo & San Joaquin Indians - 10 miles south of Manteca on Two Rivers Rd, take S Manteca Rd to Trahern, turn right 1/4 mi, left on Two Rivers Rd to Indian Valley Resort, 200 yards SE of confluence of San Joaquin and Stanislaus Rivers on N bank of Stanislaus - In 1829, the Governor-General of California directed Vallejo to punish the Cosumnes Indians for their raids on local ranches. The battle is one of the few fought in California in which cannons were actually used. California marker No. 214
Click to Enlarge New Hope - Ripon City Park, Fourth and Locust Sts, Ripon - Approximately six miles west of this spot, 20 Mormon pioneers from the ship Brooklyn founded the first known agricultural colony in San Joaquin Valley, planting the first wheat and crops that they irrigated by the pole and bucket method. They erected three log houses and operated a sawmill and a ferry across Stanislaus. Their settlement later became known as Stanislaus City. California Marker No. 436
Click to Enlarge First Landing Place of Sailing Ship Comet - From I-5 take Manthey Rd interchange, take W side frontage rd, go N 1 mi to N bank of San Joaquin River, plaque located at entrance to Mossdale Crossing Park and Ramp, 2.0 mi N of intersection of I-5 and I-205, Tracy - First known sail launch to ascend San Joaquin River from San Francisco landed here autumn, 1846. It carried 20 Mormon pioneers who founded New Hope Agricultural Project on Stanislaus. A yoke of oxen and span of mules were driven from Marsh's Landing (Antioch) by two men who followed a crude map drawn by Merritt the trapper. Two years later Doak and Bonsell operated here the first ferry on San Joaquin River. California Marker No. 437
Click to Enlarge French Camp - On Elm St at French Camp School, French Camp - Here was the terminus of the Oregon-California Trail used from about 1832 to 1845 by the French-Canadian trappers employed by the Hudson's Bay Company. Every year Michel La Framboise, among others, met fur hunters camped with their families here. In 1844 Charles M. Weber and William Gulnac promoted the first white settlers' colony on Rancho del Campo de los Franceses, which included French Camp and the site of Stockton. California Marker No. 668
Click to Enlarge Carnegie - Carnegie State Vehicular Recreation Area, 5.9 mi W of I-580 on Corral Hollow Rd, 9 mi SW of Tracy - A city of 3,500 population from 1895-1912, the town had a post office, company store, hotels, saloons, bandstand, and hundreds of homes. The Carnegie Brick and Pottery Company had 45 kilns and 13 tall smokestacks, clay came from the famous Tesla Coal Mine, four miles to the west. Town and plant were served by the Alameda and San Joaquin Railroad. California Marker No. 740
Click to Enlarge Corral Hollow - 1.5 mi W of I-580 on Corral Hollow Rd, 6.5 mi SW of Tracy - The Edward B. Carrell home was built here at the site of an Indian village on El Camino Viejo, an old Spanish trail. Through here passed the '49ers and the first mail to the Tuolumne mines, men and animals received food and drink at Wright's Zink House five hundred yards north of here. California Marker No. 755
Click to Enlarge San Joaquin City - 1.4 mi N of county line on County Hwy J3, SE of Tracy - This river town was established in 1849. Pioneers and freight wagons following post roads to the southern mines crossed the river nearby at Durham's Ferry, and as a terminal for riverboats, the town played an important part in development of west side grain farming and cattle raising. California Marker No. 777
Click to Enlarge First Transcontintal Railroad -From I-5 take Manthey Rd interchange, take W side frontage rd and go N 1.9 mi to N bank of San Joaquin River, plaque located at entrance to Mossdale Crossing Park and Ramp, 2.0 mi N of intersection of I-5 and I-205, Tracy - The construction of the San Joaquin River bridge completed the last link of the transcontinental railroad. Building has proceeded simultaneously from the bay area and Sacramento to meet at the San Joaquin River. The first train crossed the bridge on September 8, 1869. California Marker No. 780
Click to Enlarge California Chicory Works - 1672 W Bowman Rd, 2.2 mi W of I-5, French Camp - The partnership of C. A. Bachmann and Charles H. W. Brandt, formed in 1885, was the largest chicory supplier in America while operating at this site during the 1890s. Chicory roots are roasted, ground, and used as a mixture with or substitute for coffee. Using its own ship, The Dora, and the finest German equipment to process the chicory, the company shipped its product to market until about 1911. California Marker No. 935
We are looking for more old San Joaquin photos - Please share them on our Memories of Stockton Facebook Group

Suggested Central Valley Books